Chris Brown Play-By-Play

jimmynunn

First, I truly hope the best for John Murphy's health. He seems like a nice man, I'm sure his heart is in the right place, and get well Murph.

But in my opinion, he deserves to be Wally Pipped. I've listened to the game broadcasts the last 2 weeks, and the improvement is significant. Chris Brown brings more enthusiasm, is nowhere near as bland, and his voice conveys the excitment of a big play without cracking. He also seems way more accurtate in his down and distance calls. Too often, Murph will say something like"Singletary off tackle, picks up 7...........and it's 2nd and 8 for the Bills."

I'd be interested in the opinions of others who have listened to our radio play-by-play.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 17

4 minutes ago, jimmynunn said:

First, I truly hope the best for John Murphy's health. He seems like a nice man, I'm sure his heart is in the right place, and get well Murph.

But in my opinion, he deserves to be Wally Pipped. I've listened to the game broadcasts the last 2 weeks, and the improvement is significant. Chris Brown brings more enthusiasm, is nowhere near as bland, and his voice conveys the excitment of a big play without cracking. He also seems way more accurtate in his down and distance calls. Too often, Murph will say something like"Singletary off tackle, picks up 7...........and it's 2nd and 8 for the Bills."

I'd be interested in the opinions of others who have listened to our radio play-by-play.

Just listening to the radio highlights I agree with you. IMO play by play was never Murphy's forte, he was excellent at color commentary.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 6

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Brownie had a number of down and distance errors yesterday.  It's because the booth is in the left corner of the stadium on the home side, so calls down near the tunnel end are always off.  They used to have better spotters, not sure why they haven't been able to correct it.

Well according to McDaniel he didn't know it was 4th and 1 either.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Brownie had a number of down and distance errors yesterday.  It's because the booth is in the left corner of the stadium on the home side, so calls down near the tunnel end are always off.  They used to have better spotters, not sure why they haven't been able to correct it.

?  No it’s not… Murph (or Brownie) and Wood are on the 50 yard line in the broadcast booth right between section 133 and 134.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

?  No it’s not… Murph (or Brownie) and Wood are on the 50 yard line in the broadcast booth right between section 133 and 134.

OK, perhaps my information is out of date.  If it's on the 50, then there's no excuse for that many down and distance errors.  I'll take down my post.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

I haven't listened to yesterdays game but did last weeks game & i have to agree Browny is much better & more animated as far as his excitement . Some people are just better suited for things than others i just can't stand when Murphs voice cracks when he get's excited about a play .

I've never been a huge fan of Murphs i think he was better suited to be a TV sports caster radio is a totally different deal & there are a few out there that portray the games great Browny seems to have that excitement that is missing to the radio broadcast & has done a excellent job .

I too hope Murph get's back to full health & if he wants to continue calling the Bills games then good for him but Browny has definitely surpassed him when it comes to calling the games & hosting the One Bills Live pod cast .

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 2

The first call I heard from Brown was Nyheim Hines' opening KO Return TD against the Pats last week and he referred to it as "the first play from scrimmage". That's clearly just an error from someone not accustomed to calling PBP but I've noticed enough similar flubs in the various clips I've heard that it's distracting albeit forgivable seeing that he's a fill-in. 

What's not forgivable are the histrionics. Again, I don't believe he has any PBP experience prior to this fill-in stint so I can't hold it against him (he's doing an admirable job considering the circumstances), but I haven't heard anything that warrants fulltime consideration.

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I thought they got moved to the corner several years ago.

last year I’m 100% sure Murph and Wood were behind us (over half the games I go to, I sit with my uncle in Section 133 about 15ish rows down from the broadcast booths).

Pretty sure nothing changed for this season but I could be wrong.

Edited by RiotAct

6 minutes ago, T master said:

I haven't listened to yesterdays game but did last weeks game & i have to agree Browny is much better & more animated as far as his excitement . Some people are just better suited for things than others i just can't stand when Murphs voice cracks when he get's excited about a play .

I've never been a huge fan of Murphs i think he was better suited to be a TV sports caster radio is a totally different deal & there are a few out there that portray the games great Browny seems to have that excitement that is missing to the radio broadcast & has done a excellent job .

I too hope Murph get's back to full health & if he wants to continue calling the Bills games then good for him but Browny has definitely surpassed him when it comes to calling the games & hosting the One Bills Live pod cast .

I'll always have a soft spot for Murph, he's been involved in Bills broadcasts my entire life! His voice is as inextricably linked to Buffalo Bills football as anything, as far as I'm concerned. HOWEVER--- I haven't been a big fan of his PBP. I can't really think of a single memorable call since he took over for Van 20 years ago (although, arguably, it's been slim pickings until the past 5 years!).

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Punch said:

I'll always have a soft spot for Murph, he's been involved in Bills broadcasts my entire life! His voice is as inextricably linked to Buffalo Bills football as anything, as far as I'm concerned. HOWEVER--- I haven't been a big fan of his PBP. I can't really think of a single memorable call since he took over for Van 20 years ago (although, arguably, it's been slim pickings until the past 5 years!).

I started out listening to Van & then Murph took over & i have listened to the radio broadcast before but when you go from Van to Murph there was a definite drop off that even Murph would probably agree with but the difference from Van to Murph to Browny is very noticeable that's all i'll say .

• Like (+1) 2

Have only heard highlights of Brown on WGR Monday coverage. Can’t speak to how good he had been.  Although “Get the fire extinguisher, he’s hotter than a firecracker” is kinda goofy, but like the passion.

Paul Dottino who covered for Murph hen he had Covid I thought was pretty good.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Punch said:

Good guy. Horrible PBP. He just blandly describes the game.

Every TD is "Touchdown! Touchdown Buffalo! The player caught the ball and crossed the goal line, which means he scored a touchdown. Wow!"

He has no wit. He provides no color or imagination.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

He has no wit. He provides no color or imagination.

Which is unfortunate because he isn't dimwitted outside of PBP, he's a relatively smart and insightful broadcaster when discussing the Bills in a different context. It just doesn't rise to the surface in the moment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

lol i totally disagree.  I think he’s absolutely terrible.  Just yells and says stupid sayings after a big play.  There’s a reason he’s just a fill in

Agree. Heard one of the highlights and he described one of the players as being ‘hotter than a firecracker’. Just sounded scripted and not spontaneous- as if he’d been saving that one in his Rolodex of metaphors to sound colorful. If I had to listen to radio I want a good description and a fair amount of excitement when something exciting occurs, but I don’t need a fanboy whose voice goes up 3 octaves during a big play. 
edit: just heard montages of Brown’s calls. My god, he couldn’t be more annoying. He thinks the Rick Jeannette NHL style of PBP is perfect for a Bills’ broadcast.  
Thank goodness I never have to rely on the WGR radio broadcast. 
Here’s a tip Chris…go listen to some vintage Van Miller. He could create excitement without sounding like the screaming rug rat in the booth behind you at your local restaurant. 

Edited by SoMAn

1 hour ago, jimmynunn said:

Agreed...I've never been a big fan of Murph's play-by-play...And Brown is pretty clearly better...B-)

• Agree 1

CB is quick-witted (although once in a while sometimes a little "dad jokey"), knows the players and the schemes and concepts the team uses in high detail, knows the NFL rules at a very high level and has a lot of passion for the game. I really like him in that spot.

Wishing Murph to have a full recovery. His successor is here I think though.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

lol i totally disagree.  I think he’s absolutely terrible.  Just yells and says stupid sayings after a big play.  There’s a reason he’s just a fill in

“Someone grab a fire extinguisher! Because Dawson Knox is as hot as a firecracker!”

I’m with you on this… Brown isn’t my favorite either. Even on OBL with Tasker he gets worked up and drops weird sayings. He and Murph both seem like nice guys, but I’m not sure either does a great job.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

“Someone grab a fire extinguisher! Because Dawson Knox is as hot as a firecracker!”

I’m with you on this… Brown isn’t my favorite either. Even on OBL with Tasker he gets worked up and drops weird sayings. He and Murph both seem like nice guys, but I’m not sure either does a great job.

Reminds me a little bit of some of the stuff Dan Dunleavy says during Sabres games...."DC is marvelous" after a Dylan Cozens goal.  Just seems a little forced and cringey...which is also funny to me because RJ always had a lot of sayings and phrases but with him it never felt forced and always seemed organic.  I think it's just one of those things where some guys are naturals for the role and a lot of people are not but they try their best.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, jimmynunn said:

I felt the same. Brown paints a much more vivid picture for a radio listener who can not see the action. Better at mentioning down and distance, packages, alignments and yards gained. He was rather impressive.

'Quick pass to Shakir' versus 'He's got a man down there'

'Quick pass to Shakir' tells me who it was, a bit about the action , and quick pass is usually 15 yards or less

'He's got a man down there' down where? Who is it? Where is the ball?

Murph and Van Miller were part of me growing up and developing my love for the Bills.

I also wish him a speedy and full recovery, but Chris Brown has done terrific service in his absence and it was better IMO.

4 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

I really like Chris...but man, I kind of lean this way.  I don't think he is terrible, but his "sayings" are so forced and cringeworthy and he is a bit shouty.

I was honestly half expecting, "AND THE DOLPHINS MAY HAVE THOUGHT THEY WERE IN A PREVENT DEFENSE, BUT THAT DIDN'T PREVENT DIGGS FROM HALLING IN THE LONG BALL DOWN THE SIDELINE!", or something equally goofy.

He'll get better, though.

I agree with the original poster here. I think Brown is much better than Murphy. I like Murphy for interviews on WGR but he has no energy or enthusiasm which I like in  a play by play guy. And, I also have noticed how often Murphy gets the down and distance wrong. I wish Murphy well but I look forward to whomever replaces him.  LAst year, for the Tampa game, Murphy made many incorrect comments about the game which I heard Woods correct sometimes immediately right after Murphy made the statement on air. At the time, I thought Murph was "losing it". I certainly hope John recovers but I will not miss him on the air for calling Bills games whatsoever.  My 2 cents.

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I heard some of his highlights from last week.  I want excitement level for big plays.   I don’t want yelling and screaming.  

Murph is a tough listen at this point in his career, but Brown is like listening to some kids calling the a Brighton High School game--all excited with voices cracking and canned lines.

he's rough during the daily One Bills Drive broadcast.   

41 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Reminds me a little bit of some of the stuff Dan Dunleavy says during Sabres games...."DC is marvelous" after a Dylan Cozens goal.  Just seems a little forced and cringey...which is also funny to me because RJ always had a lot of sayings and phrases but with him it never felt forced and always seemed organic.  I think it's just one of those things where some guys are naturals for the role and a lot of people are not but they try their best.  

After yesterday's game I have been hearing this highlight where he said "He's hot as a firecracker!"

His voice cracks in the middle of it.  It sounds utterly ridiculous and like something a kid was doing.

He is still massively better than Murphy, who is HORRIFIC.

Murphy should be replaced but Buffalo being Buffalo, he probably won't be.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.