Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

23 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Makes too much sense to trade Oliver for Hopkins.  Re-allocating cap dollars to the offense and then get a 1st round DT since we have no DT’s under contract next year with or without Oliver.  

In a trade scenario the only thing that makes sense for both Arizona and Buffalo is trading draft compensation of some value to Arizona and having them pay MOST of his 2023 salary.    Like a 3rd rounder or multiple day 3 picks over the next 2 drafts.  

Arizona aren't likely to have any interest in Ed Oliver........they are in a re-build and he's a rental whereas draft picks you get for 4 years.

And Hopkins would then still have $9M plus in additional salary cap hit left for the Bills after an Oliver trade so it shouldn't make sense from the Buffalo perspective.

I know they can push some of that cap hit into the future but that doesn't make much sense, IMO.   They'd have to take him in as a 2023 rental only,  IMO.    If he meshes with Allen and they see a future with him after 2023 then you re-work his deal next offseason.

Would Arizona pay out $15M or so in non-guaranteed money for a couple mid-round picks?   This is why it seems like the most likely scenario is Arizona releasing him outright.    And in the case that he becomes a UFA,   I suspect the Bills would be out.   

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

A couple things.  There's no guarantee AZ would release DHop, that's media speculation.  Secondly if it got to that there would be a bidding war, not a good thing for the Bills.  IMO, the move needs to be made at/by the draft or the odds drop significantly of the Bills landing him.

DHop has indicated he is willing to go to the Bills.  So the Bills should be able to know what kind of cap room/salary will be needed to pull it off.  That discussion should have already taken place.  Then the deal depends on what it will take from AZ to let him go.

Maybe something like the Bills have offered a 4th but AZ is holding firm at a 3rd.  So the Bills will wait to see if Addison is within striking range of the Bills 1st and 3rd.  If the Bills can't get him, like Addison goes #17, then the Bills relinquish and pony up the 3rd.

Of course it's not guaranteed they release him, but it makes things easier.  If no team is going to pony up what they want, they will either drop their asking price or outright release him.  I don't see him in an AZ uniform this coming season regardless.  If they outright release him and if he really wants to come here, that's the best avenue for it to happen.

Most teams can offer more in terms of draft picks than the Bills can anyway, and nobody is biting because they're all anticipating he will be released.

Edited by Billz4ever

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

and a 1st ballot HOF. But, I guess it’s easier for you to criticize 

what does him being a HOF have to do with him talking to much without knowing anything.  I’m being real not a homer. I get it he’s hyping the Bills as being big name for big name players but that’s all he is is a hype man lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, wppete said:

He real talks a lot. Not just this or the OBJ but I’m general. Another guy who loves the cameras. 

It’s true, yet prior to becoming a Bill I don’t think I can even remember seeing him speak beyond pre or post game.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Of course it's not guaranteed they release him, but it makes things easier.  If no team is going to pony up what they want, they will either drop their asking price or outright release him.  I don't see him in an AZ uniform this coming season regardless.  If they outright release him and if he really wants to come here, that's the best avenue for it to happen.

If teams aren't interested in him now, that's not going to change if he's released, especially since most teams can offer more in terms of draft picks than the Bills can anyway, and nobody is biting.

He's not playing for peanuts and the Bills aren't in a cap situation to get in a bidding war for him, IMO.    Even if it's a small bidding war.   See what happened with Odell going to Baltimore.   Hopkins will get that kind of money or more.   What kind of discounted open-market contract do you envision him accepting to come to Buffalo?   Best fit......probably only fit........for the Bills is getting Arizona to take on most of his 2023 salary in exchange for draft pick compensation.   

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

A couple things.  There's no guarantee AZ would release DHop, that's media speculation.  Secondly if it got to that there would be a bidding war, not a good thing for the Bills.  IMO, the move needs to be made at/by the draft or the odds drop significantly of the Bills landing him.

DHop has indicated he is willing to go to the Bills.  So the Bills should be able to know what kind of cap room/salary will be needed to pull it off.  That discussion should have already taken place.  Then the deal depends on what it will take from AZ to let him go.

Maybe something like the Bills have offered a 4th but AZ is holding firm at a 3rd.  So the Bills will wait to see if Addison is within striking range of the Bills 1st and 3rd.  If the Bills can't get him, like Addison goes #17, then the Bills relinquish and pony up the 3rd.

I believe the goal (albeit a lofty one) should be to come out of the draft with a WR depth chart of:

Diggs

Hopkins
Davis

_______  JSN / Flowers / Addison / Hyatt / Mingo / Dell 
Harty

Sherfield

Shakir

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Is it just me or does Von Miller talk an awful lot for a guy who just got here and was injured almost half the season? Seems like he’s getting very close to becoming a distraction to the franchise-wide foundation, not rent-a-team philosophy, that the Bills have been trying to build. 

The gave him the equivalent to “keys to the city” with that contract.

Meh. Don’t take much stock in Von knowing anything.  He has talked a bit with nothing happening.

I hope it’s purely his conjecture and not the Bills feeding him info.  How many times can you go to the media that something will happen, and it doesn’t??

• Thank you (+1) 2

"Word on the street" is not inside intel. Just alluding to the rumors that have been circulating. Is he hopeful for an acquisition? Yes. Does he have an inside track that the Bills will get Hopskins? He knows they've looked into it but I doubt he knows the details of the conversations and what it would take.

Maybe I'm wrong and Beane shares all this with him as a senior star player (and an guy who wants to be a GM one day) but I doubt it.

Edited by Nephilim17

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

He's not playing for peanuts and the Bills aren't in a cap situation to get in a bidding war for him, IMO.    Even if it's a small bidding war.   See what happened with Odell going to Baltimore.   Hopkins will get that kind of money or more.   What kind of discounted open-market contract do you envision him accepting to come to Buffalo?   Best fit......probably only fit........for the Bills is getting Arizona to take on most of his 2023 salary in exchange for draft pick compensation.   

That's exactly why I don't think he's going to come here.  Other teams have more to offer than the Bills in a trade and if he's released, it will be the team that gives him the most $$$, just like OBJ.  He may say he wants to come here, but at the end of the day, he's going to go to the team that offers him the most $$$.  And that's not going to be us.

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In a trade scenario the only thing that makes sense for both Arizona and Buffalo is trading draft compensation of some value to Arizona and having them pay MOST of his 2023 salary.    Like a 3rd rounder or multiple day 3 picks over the next 2 drafts.  

Arizona aren't likely to have any interest in Ed Oliver........they are in a re-build and he's a rental whereas draft picks you get for 4 years.

And Hopkins would then still have $9M plus in additional salary cap hit left for the Bills after an Oliver trade so it shouldn't make sense from the Buffalo perspective.

I know they can push some of that cap hit into the future but that doesn't make much sense, IMO.   They'd have to take him in as a 2023 rental only,  IMO.    If he meshes with Allen and they see a future with him after 2023 then you re-work his deal next offseason.

Would Arizona pay out $15M or so in non-guaranteed money for a couple mid-round picks?   This is why it seems like the most likely scenario is Arizona releasing him outright.    And in the case that he becomes a UFA,   I suspect the Bills would be out.   

2 years $33m for Hopkins is probably fair.  Not sure why he wouldn’t agree to convert his $19m salary this year to a signing bonus.  I also get why no team wants to give up premium draft picks for that contract.  So if Arizona’s options are a 6th rounder without paying any of Hopkins’ 2023 salary or a 3rd rounder while paying $10m of his salary, I’d think they’d at least consider Oliver given how bad their D Line is unless they’re just completely tanking this year.  

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I believe the goal (albeit a lofty one) should be to come out of the draft with a WR depth chart of:

Diggs

Hopkins
Davis

_______  JSN / Flowers / Addison / Hyatt / Mingo / Dell 
Harty

Sherfield

Shakir

You live in a dream world if you think that's even in a realm of possibilities.  

More realistically:

1. Draft a WR and OT early

2. Then best value at: MLB, TE, DT, DE, CB

Cap is a reality and we shouldn't be chasing another high priced WR.  This offense needs another RAC guy, RT (better OL play), and balanced attack with running/playaction.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

2 years $33m for Hopkins is probably fair.  Not sure why he wouldn’t agree to convert his $19m salary this year to a signing bonus.  I also get why no team wants to give up premium draft picks for that contract.  So if Arizona’s options are a 6th rounder without paying any of Hopkins’ 2023 salary or a 3rd rounder while paying $10m of his salary, I’d think they’d at least consider Oliver given how bad their D Line is unless they’re just completely tanking this year.  

Oliver would be a rental for them, so I don't know why they'd want him if they're already mailing it in for this season.  A team in rebuild wants draft capital.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

That's exactly why I don't think he's going to come here.  Other teams have more to offer than the Bills in a trade and if he's released, it will be the team that gives him the most $$$, just like OBJ.  He may say he wants to come here, but at the end of the day, he's going to go to the team that offers him the most $$$.  And that's not going to be us.

Players that want to win a championship may think a little differently IMO. Contracts can be lucrative long term while being cap friendly short term IMO. 

Just now, Figster said:

Players that want to win a championship may think a little differently IMO. Contracts can be lucrative long term while being cap friendly short term IMO. 

We were told OBJ wanted to win a Championship and we all know how that played out.  $$$ talks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

That’s still a cap hit over $9M this year, which I imagine would take some restructuring to fit. Perhaps they’d even extend him to 3-4 years to spread it out more. 

1 minute ago, TBBills Fan said:

Even if hes a 1 year rental, lets get him for this years SB run.....

But that's the thing...he's not a 1 yr rental OR cheap.

Likely would take restructuring/amortizing the future $s, just to git him under this year's cap limit.   Then we'd be having major dead cap in some future season.  Not good future cap planning and goes against everything Beane has stood for 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Likely would take restructuring/amortizing the future $s, just to git him under this year's cap limit.   Then we'd be having major dead cap in some future season.  Not good future cap planning and goes against everything Beane has stood for 

in my opinion, him with a solid draft may be whats puts us over.  So lets go for it.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

To the highlighted.......I would expect that the Bills are likely the only ones willing to offer anything of value(mid-round picks) in trade so what others HAVE to offer in trade is likely irrelevant,  IMO.    Everyone else would rather just pay him open market or give Arizona a 7th to eat a small portion of his otherwise unguranteed(important) salary because they aren't in the cap bind that Beane is in.    Beane could reach Hopkins salary demand if he gets Arizona to pay it in exchange for picks.  That's the path to getting a deal done.   

• Agree 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

To the highlighted.......I would expect that the Bills are likely the only ones willing to offer anything of value(mid-round picks) in trade so what others HAVE to offer in trade is likely irrelevant,  IMO.    Everyone else would rather just pay him open market or give Arizona a 7th to eat a small portion of his otherwise unguranteed(important) salary because they aren't in the cap bind that Beane is in.    Beane could reach Hopkins salary demand if he gets Arizona to pay it in exchange for picks.  That's the path to getting a deal done.   

So if other teams really want him and are worried about a trade happening prior to a potential release, why wouldn't other teams be willing to do the same? The Bills only have 6 picks in this draft as it is unless we're going to dip into next year's.  Plenty of teams out there with better draft capital to offer and more cap room to accommodate.

5 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

in my opinion, him with a solid draft may be whats puts us over.  So lets go for it.  

It might but there is also the real potential that he will be a misfit with Allen and in this offense because he's not great at separating/getting open.    He's not the same fit that a healthy OBJ would have been.......Hopkins is the contested catch king.   If that doesn't mesh with Allen........who is known for wanting to see his receivers open before throwing to them.........then there is a potential for a LeBron/Westbrook level misfit.    In that event,  the Bills should want to have a very low cost out after 2023.  So the idea of a re-worked long term contract should not be something in Beane's head, IMO.   

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

So if other teams really want him and are worried about a trade happening prior to a potential release, why wouldn't other teams be willing to do the same? The Bills only have 6 picks in this draft as it is unless we're going to dip into next year's.  Plenty of teams out there with better draft capital to offer and more cap room to accommodate.

1. The market is limited by teams that want to pay him and that he will agree to play for

2. Leverage........everyone knows Arizona is moving him one way or another

3. Teams put great value on their draft picks

Those are the reasons.

The Chiefs are the other "SB contender" fit and they know they can win a SB without him.    As mentioned......one thing the other SB contenders like Cinci, Philly and SF have in common is an abundance of big time playmakers.   But the Chiefs would seem less likely to push any chips that they value into the table to add an extra piece because they've proven they can win with what they have and already traded picks in this draft for Kadarius Toney and have Sky Moore waiting to take snaps too.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

You’re not wrong, but how much is the cap projected to keep going up? Beane and the organization would have a much better idea than us what those changes to the cap really mean to our situation. 

I could be naive, but I’m kind of hopeful we can make it work. 

38 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Meh. Don’t take much stock in Von knowing anything.  He has talked a bit with nothing happening.

I hope it’s purely his conjecture and not the Bills feeding him info.  How many times can you go to the media that something will happen, and it doesn’t??

You can only cry wolf so many times before people start ignoring you, and that’s where Von is now until he’s actually correct about something. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1. The market is limited by teams that want to pay him and that he will agree to play for

2. Leverage........everyone knows Arizona is moving him one way or another

3. Teams put great value on their draft picks

Those are the reasons.

The Chiefs are the other "SB contender" fit and they know they can win a SB without him.    As mentioned......one thing the other SB contenders like Cinci, Philly and SF have in common is an abundance of big time playmakers.   But the Chiefs would seem less likely to push any chips that they value into the table to add an extra piece because they've proven they can win with what they have and already traded picks in this draft for Kadarius Toney and have Sky Moore waiting to take snaps too.

His no-trade clause was voided, so I don't think where he wants to play has a lot of weight if a team comes along with an offer AZ likes.

Teams with more picks will typically be more willing to part with some of them.  The Chiefs have 10 to our 6, which include two 4ths, two 6ths, and two 7ths.  The Chiefs lost JJSS and Hardman, so they have a need and have the draft capital.

Edited by Billz4ever

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

the only distraction is the insanity of a fan nitpicking everything a player says or does and trying to turn it into a broadway drama

Close. What's worse is fans believing anything our GM says and taking it as the gospel. He lies all the time and fans just eat it up. A PC 10 days before the draft and people think what he is saying has any component of truth is laughable.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Eh…he’s fun.  I don’t know why stuff like this makes people upset 🤷🏾‍♂️

It's crazy.  So many fans are "triggered" by not having control over what an athlete says or does.....then the fans create their own drama and pretend it's real

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

His no-trade clause was voided, so I don't think where he wants to play has a lot of weight if a team comes along with an offer AZ likes.

Teams with more picks will typically be more willing to part with some of them.  The Chiefs have 10 to our 6, which include two 4ths, two 6ths, and two 7ths.  The Chiefs lost JJSS and Hardman, so they have a need and have the draft capital.

There’s only 7 teams currently with enough cap room to take on his 2023 $19m salary and none of them are rumored destinations for him.  So he effectively still has a no trade clause if he’s not willing to restructure.  

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It's crazy.  So many fans are "triggered" by not having control over what an athlete says or does.....then the fans create their own drama and pretend it's real

LMAO. It's not really getting "triggered." In this forum, Bills fans pretty much analyze anything and everything that has to do with the Bills. See the JA17 relationship thread.

It’s just amusing to see somebody spew out nonsense time and again, and then it turns out that none of it is accurate. It’s laughable, and yes, it does seem like a distraction, and like someone else said, VM "crying wolf." 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

There’s only 7 teams currently with enough cap room to take on his 2023 $19m salary and none of them are rumored destinations for him.  So he effectively still has a no trade clause if he’s not willing to restructure.  

"Currently" is the key word.  Many GMs still have flexibility because they can restructure some existing contracts to make room if they absolutely need to.

Beane still has the ability to restructure some others if he wants to.  The player has to agree, but that's not normally a giant hurdle in most instances.

Edited by Billz4ever