Offseason rule changes: Will Damar's injury result in changes?

BringBackFergy

Tragic event. Of the 100's of thousands of plays that occur each season for 50 years, it was bound to happen.  Continuing to keep Damar and his family in my prayers and thoughts as many have done throughout the WORLD.

Will the owners come up with new "rules" for tackling an opponent or (in Damar's case") making contact with another player?

The chest/abdomen area of the body is the normal tackling area for QB's. Take the Milano hit on Mike White for example.  There are countless other "legal hits" that result in major impact with the chest wall (I remember seeing a pic of Mike White and he looked like a crash test dummy during Milano's hit). 

For instance, even though it is rarely called, a FB/RB on goal line plays will often lower their helmet and run full speed into the hole.  A MLB could easily absorb a helmet to the chest (and have done so many, many times). 

Will the owners try and create a new "strike zone" (to borrow a baseball term) where officials will have to determine if the hit was too high in the chest, too low or just right?  Will the velocity of an otherwise legal hit be a deciding factor?

Stay strong #3!! 

Edited by BringBackFergy
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 5

There might be required additional chest plate padding, but that’s likely the extent, but even that is unlikely. 

🙏 for DH

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

There might be required additional chest plate padding, but that’s likely the extent, but even that is unlikely. 

🙏 for DH

Agreed - I could see pad makers looking to make changes - especially if they can get the impact data from the sensors on everyone’s pads, but I see no changes to the rules for this.

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

I was trying to link additional YouTube videos.  There are some hits this year that are square to the chest and ferocious.

This is where the NFL & players want you to hit them. NFL doesn't want hits to the head & neck & players don't want the hit to the knees.

It won’t change the contact rules but I could see the protocols for this type of emergency to be reviewed further to see if response could be improved further. I also think it will be much more clear about what constitutes the postponement and cancellation of a game for player health and safety reasons going forward.

With all the confusion about potentially restarting the game from the TV broadcast, I think the NFL will want to clarify and avoid how that looked in the moment.

IMO if anything what last night did show that the medical protocols worked and were validated. I believe  Hamlin received the best treatment he could have hoped for in a timely manner under those circumstances

Fergy Great avatar hermano.

m

• Agree 1

There is no rule change that can prevent what happened...it was just a freak occurrence...a hit that occurred in the exact location needed at the right time with enough force to cause that issue...I don't see anything they can do short of potentially requiring some protection for that area in the jersey/padding, etc...

• Like (+1) 2

No though I could see one point of emphasis change. When they implemented the concussion changes and leading with the crown of the helmet, that rule also applies to the ball carrier. It's rarely called but you see guys lower their head and initiate contact frequently and I don't recall it ever being called a penalty.  So I could see a scenario where they make it a point of emphasis next season, even though in this case it was shoulder to chest. 

There's no need for a rule change.  It's a one in a hundred million shot. Unfortunately, that still is a non-zero chance.  It's happened in hockey a couple of times--one guy (Chris Pronger) even went on to have a HoF career.   

Hopefully, Hamlin will live a long and full life, maybe even with football as a part of it.  But there's no need to change the rules for what is essentially a freak occurrence.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

There is no rule change that can prevent what happened...it was just a freak occurrence...a hit that occurred in the exact location needed at the right time with enough force to cause that issue...I don't see anything they can do short of potentially requiring some protection for that area in the jersey/padding, etc...

I did read somewhere that some softball pitchers choose to wear extra protection over the heart to prevent this type of thing; I guess that is one possible rule change.

The league might insist on some pad changes to protect the chest a bit more.     We were actually talking in pregame about how little padding coverage most players have now.    I heard a medical professional say this was like the odds of being struck by lightning.........and yet, when there is lightning sports teams are pulled off the field in sports at all levels...........   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I heard a medical professional say this was like the odds of being struck by lightning.........and yet, when there is lightning sports teams are pulled off the field in sports at all levels...........   

Well, the odds of being struck by lightning increase significantly when there, you know, IS LIGHTNING.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Calidiehard said:

No, its a tragic fluke play that required the hit to take place at the right spot at just the right moment (within milliseconds) per Doctors.

And maybe also a the exact time heart was between beats.  We still are t sure what caused the issue however until more ins known we can speculate all we want but it’s appearing to be a freak accident t where many things had to,line up precisely.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

🙏 for DH

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The league might insist on some pad changes to protect the chest a bit more.     We were actually talking in pregame about how little padding coverage most players have now.    I heard a medical professional say this was like the odds of being struck by lightning.........and yet, when there is lightning sports teams are pulled off the field in sports at all levels...........   

That was definitely on my mind last night soon afterward. The minimal amount of padding — especially among WRs and DBs — compared to even 10 years ago is kinda insane.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nitro said:

No.   Extremely rare event.   MAY improve padding of the upper torso.  That would be about it.

I suppose we can re-visit this issue in the future...but the countless instances where there is extreme impact with upper chest leaves me thinking they may address it (in some fashion) this off season.  Not just player to player impact, but when a player falls on a ball, other scenarios where chest is compressed in the cardio thoracic region.  Like others have said, they may require new padding/equipment mandates.

3 minutes ago, UConn James said:

That was definitely on my mind last night soon afterward. The minimal amount of padding — especially among WRs and DBs — compared to even 10 years ago is kinda insane.

But isn't that its own safety issue?  Like the reason we don't see Andre Reed-sized pads anymore is because the pads themselves could be used as a weapon?

I don't see how making any changes to the "strike zone" for clean hits would have changed the outcome of this tragedy. So, for that reason, I would have to say no to your question. However, as others have mentions; I think it's a real possibility that they may look at potential changes to the chest plate area for added protection and padding. 

Also, I know that the helmets have gone through some significant changes over the past few years, that have included some upgraded technology built into them. I could see some of that tech being looked at to be added to chest padding. I know that they have already done some of this with chest padding, but I think they might look into adding sensors that measure speed of impact, the amount of force placed on the body at impact. Stuff like that. Maybe they already do that, I looked but just couldn't find anything to confirm that. 

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, UConn James said:

I read something maybe two ish years back that players tend to go for as minimal pads/protection as they can, the article basically said that guys now  wear less protection that was common years back, looking at just shoulder pads alone, they have gotten smaller over the years. It seams counter intuitive, but maybe that’s just me. 

🙏 for DH

Just now, BigPappy said:

I don't see how making any changes to the "strike zone" for clean hits would have changed the outcome of this tragedy. So, for that reason, I would have to say no to your question. However, as others have mentions; I think it's a real possibility that they may look at potential changes to the chest plate area for added protection and padding. 

Also, I know that the helmets have gone through some significant changes over the past few years, that have included some upgraded technology built into them. I could see some of that tech being looked at to be added to chest padding. I know that they have already done some of this with chest padding, but I think they might look into adding sensors that measure speed of impact, the amount of force placed on the body at impact. Stuff like that. Maybe they already do that, I looked but just couldn't find anything to confirm that. 

Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree.  The "area of hit" really can't be changed much more. The Mike White hit keeps popping into my mind.  If Milano hit Mike White like that this weekend (for example), would refs be more apt to toss a flag for illegal hit because it was directed at his chest?? It will be interesting to see how Damar's incident affects the NFL rules and officiating in the future (if any).  No one wants to see this again.  For that reason, will the refs (and rules committee) be more cognizant of the chest area (as they have for head and knees).  We may not have an answer for many months.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I agree.  The "area of hit" really can't be changed much more. The Mike White hit keeps popping into my mind.  If Milano hit Mike White like that this weekend (for example), would refs be more apt to toss a flag for illegal hit because it was directed at his chest?? It will be interesting to see how Damar's incident affects the NFL rules and officiating in the future (if any).  No one wants to see this again.  For that reason, will the refs (and rules committee) be more cognizant of the chest area (as they have for head and knees).  We may not have an answer for many months.

I agree. At the same time, as tragic as yesterday was, and I pray he has a full and speedy recovery, the bottom line is; football is a violent sport. And that will never change. Some of the rule changes that have been made recently have drastically impacted the results of the game because the rules are so subjective. I just don't see how they could change it this rule any further either without impacting the results of the game more than have already. 

Maybe it's time to go the way of the cartoon the Jetson's and have all the players be robots and then violent impacts won't matter. (and I'm being tongue and cheek a bit here)

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Everyone understands that this was a freak accident.  Changing rules would be like saying don't walk on sidewalks because an air conditioner might fall on your head.

😱... Thanks. Now I have that to worry about.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, ProcessYaDigg said:

dumb take.  In regard to your vision, you might as well turn the NFL into flag football.

I didn't say it was my "take" nor do I believe making new "subjective rules" is necessary.  Have you ever thought about something, analyzed it, and tried to see how it might be addressed in the future?  Maybe I'm overthinking it. Thanks for your terse response.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I didn't say it was my "take" nor do I believe making new "subjective rules" is necessary.  Have you ever thought about something, analyzed it, and tried to see how it might be addressed in the future?  Maybe I'm overthinking it. Thanks for your terse response.

Fair enough.  I definitely do think you are overthinking it.  These types of tackles happen every single game.  this was just a one-off freak accident that'll more than likely never happen again.

52 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If anything, the fact that this is the first time in all the history of the NFL that such a thing occurred shows exactly why you dont need any rule changes.

In a piece shortly after last night, there was a bit about sports players who had serious or fatal injuries on the field / court. The soccer player last year, a couple of basketball players, and a Detroit Lions player who had a heart attack on the field after a hit from Dick Butkus. He was pronounced dead at the hospital 50 minutes later, but he was dead on the field immediately after the hit. It was late in the 4th quarter and they finished the game, going through the motions.

4 minutes ago, UConn James said:

In a piece shortly after last night, there was a bit about sports players who had serious or fatal injuries on the field / court. The soccer player last year, a couple of basketball players, and a Detroit Lions player who had a heart attack on the field after a hit from Dick Butkus. He was pronounced dead at the hospital 50 minutes later, but he was dead on the field immediately after the hit. It was late in the 4th quarter and they finished the game, going through the motions.

That wasn't the same issue, and wasn't after a hit - at least not shortly after. On his final play he was a decoy and wasn't contacted. The cause of his incident was a blocked artery. Completely different set of circumstances. With modern testing they likely would have known about that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.