Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Question for our emergency medicine/ICU docs here:  Can he be maintained on a ventilator (if still needed) while conscious?

Once again, for clarity, I'm not a doctor. But a critical care RN. 

Its depends. Its VERY uncomfortable having the endotracheal tube and orogastric tube down your throat. One of the first things most patients do when conducting SAT's is attempt to pull them out. The patient is confused, doesn't know where they are, what all this stuff on them is, etc. We often put patients in restraints during SATs so they don't self-extubate.

I have taken care of patients where I have been able to stop all sedation and the patient was absolutely calm, responsive to yes and no questions and could tolerate it. However, if the plan is not to extubate, then you typically continue with light sedation for comfort.

Edited by Herc11
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Awesome to hear that he is responsive and appears to be neurologically intact.  For those that understand medical speak, can anyone comment on what “critically ill” means?  Just trying to keep level expectations of where his health may be at, versus medical risks that may still exist for him.

Basically means that he still meets the conditions to keep him in the critical care unit.

I am grateful that #3 is recovering and showing such positive  progress

I am also Very grateful to have had this forum to be with you all so we could go through this wait together ❤️💙❤️

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, wolfpack78 said:

They said he lost his pulse on the field... does that mean he essentially died but the swift action of the first responders and medical staff were able to bring him back?

Drs have said that if he was anywhere besides a hospital, that was the best place to be because of the medical experts around and yes they essentially brought him back to life on the field 

2 minutes ago, wolfpack78 said:

They said he lost his pulse on the field... does that mean he essentially died but the swift action of the first responders and medical staff were able to bring him back?

Technically yeah, although there are varying definitions of what being 'dead' actually is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.