Super Bowl - Are you likely to go?

Captain Caveman

Super Bowl - are you likely to go?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Are you likely to attend a Bills Super Bowl?

• Of Course
    • Nuh-uh
    • Not Sure

Let's see... 

I can spend $20k going to the Super Bowl for 2-3 days....

Or, I can watch the Super Bowl on TV and my wife and I can spend 2 weeks in Spain and Portugal in May and then 3 weeks touring south Africa and seeing the awesome wildlife in September.

Pardon me while I brush up on my Espanol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I've been to 6 Super Bowls, here are the costs updated for inflation to the present. Total then & adjusted for inflation in bold.  I don't know how easily the spreadsheet will copy over to here so alignment may get messed up  We won the Bills lottery in 1992 & 1993.  I drove in 2014 & stayed with relatives in 2016

This may be a little more readable. Click link to see it full size.

https://i.ibb.co/Qk09dgn/Superbowl-Costs.png

Superbowl-Costs.png

5 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Thanks. You're obviously more adept at technology than I'll ever be.  

I can barely operate a cell phone but spreadsheets I can still do until they break the technology with "upgrades" so much I cannot do it anymore.  My daughter calls me "stone age".

Oh and you forgot cost of beer, liquor, etc.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I can barely operate a cell phone but spreadsheets I can still do until they break the technology with "upgrades" so much I cannot do it anymore.  My daughter calls me "stone age".

Oh and you forgot cost of beer, liquor, etc.

I rarely drink & never at games.  I promised Petrino I'd have a drink with him after the Bills won in the 2 Super Bowls we went together, but alas, I never got that drink.  Food & soft drinks are included in Misc. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Do you know how much those go for? I got a $250 gift card for Christmas that I am saving for specifically that game if we get there. But I heard tickets may go for more than that. I hope not. I want to do everything I can to be in that stadium for that game if it happens 

A friend just sold his decent but not great seats for the Bill/Bengals game Monday night for $390 each. I can’t imagine getting into an AFCCG for less than that. 

I could afford to go to a Super Bowl, but the cheapskate in me just can’t justify those prices. I might feel differently if I had not already attended one SB, the game vs Redskins in frigid Minneapolis. That did not end well. Hell, it didn’t even START well with Thurman looking for his helmet! 

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Do you know how much those go for? I got a $250 gift card for Christmas that I am saving for specifically that game if we get there. But I heard tickets may go for more than that. I hope not. I want to do everything I can to be in that stadium for that game if it happens 

They went on sale a few weeks ago. Lowest at the moment is around $600 including fees. 

13 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I'll go, but I don't think I'll stay in Phoenix.  I'm leaning towards Tucson where the motels aren't all booked up at over a grand a night.  I bet $950 on the Bills to win the AFC at +425 (4.25/1) back in February as "Super Bowl Insurance" to pay for most of the ticket, which is currently at around $6,000 for the cheapest seats at NFL On Location.  I'm trying to get Petrino to go with me but he's undecided right now.  

Wow. That’s a great strategy!

16 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Tough to find that price, I haven't found anything under 6. Tough pill to swallow. But also could be a once in a lifetime chance. My biggest issue isn't the money it's spending 8k on a weekend and then... I won't say it but... if a certain team I'm rooting for were to not score as many points as another team and I paid 8k to watch it... needless to say I would be spending the next few days at the brewery.

"I won't say it but..."  What wont you say? But what??

"if a certain team I'm rooting for"  I thought you were a Bills fan ??   

"were to not score as many points as another team"  You mean if the Bills lose? 

"and I paid 8k to watch it."  You mean if the Bills lose after you having paid 8 grand - you would do something terrible?

I don't get these cryptic posts - why??  Some people around here, I tell yeah!  SMH.

It would be tempting - that would be a cool place to go in the middle of winter, and it would be kind of cool to see it live if they can pull through and get that 1st Lombardi.

I went to one SB previously (non-Bills), and it was a cool atmosphere - but you also get disadvantages that you get w/ any live game.  I think I'd be too tense during a Bills SB to not have the best camera angles, replay, et al. that comes w/ watching at home.

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

With the exception of Atlanta, every Super Bowl I've been to I was surrounded by real football fans, mostly for one or the other team.  Don't knock something until you've tried it.  Obviously from a financial standpoint it's better to be home, but for enjoyment of the game nothing beats being there.  

Agree 100%.  That’s a big part of why 2020 was so gut-wrenching.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

A friend just sold his decent but not great seats for the Bill/Bengals game Monday night for $390 each. I can’t imagine getting into an AFCCG for less than that. 

I could afford to go to a Super Bowl, but the cheapskate in me just can’t justify those prices. I might feel differently if I had not already attended one SB, the game vs Redskins in frigid Minneapolis. That did not end well. Hell, it didn’t even START well with Thurman looking for his helmet! 

Freaking Harry Connick, Jr band moved it. Kenneth Davis then screwed up on play that would have probably been taken to the house by Thurman. Just the start of a bad SB

I've only read the first page of posts.

I've always assumed I would go.  I actually planned a different vacation around it.  But when I stop and think about it coldly, it's really hard to justify.  For me, I think, the determining factor will be what I can get tickets for.   I don't know how the priority list works with the tickets the team will get to season ticket holders.  If I'm high enough on the list, I could get tickets at face value.   Even that, whatever it is, would be a big-ticket item, but at least that would be a lot better than having to pay three or five times that much to buy them in the after market.  

My wife and I went to XXV.   We were in different financial circumstances then, and my wife sort of didn't ask and I sort of didn't tell her how much I spent to get tickets.   And yes, the game ended badly, but I have never for a moment regretted spending the money to experience that game.   It's an iconic Bills game, and to have been there, regardless of the outcome, was worth it.  The money, we earned back.  The memories of that experience connect me to the Bills for all time.   Just like having been at the 64 AFL championship.  My dad paid for tickets, and they were a pittance, not like today.  It's not about the money.  It's about a lifetime of memories.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I've only read the first page of posts.

I've always assumed I would go.  I actually planned a different vacation around it.  But when I stop and think about it coldly, it's really hard to justify.  For me, I think, the determining factor will be what I can get tickets for.   I don't know how the priority list works with the tickets the team will get to season ticket holders.  If I'm high enough on the list, I could get tickets at face value.   Even that, whatever it is, would be a big-ticket item, but at least that would be a lot better than having to pay three or five times that much to buy them in the after market.  

My wife and I went to XXV.   We were in different financial circumstances then, and my wife sort of didn't ask and I sort of didn't tell her how much I spent to get tickets.   And yes, the game ended badly, but I have never for a moment regretted spending the money to it experience that game.   It's an iconic Bills game, and to have been there, regardless of the outcome, was worth it.  The money, we earned back.  The memories of that experience connects me to the Bills for all time.   Just like having been at 64 AFL championship.  My dad paid for tickets, and they were a pittance, not like today.  It's not about the money.  It's about a lifetime of memories.  

I'd prefer a lifetime of memories that a trip to Europe or Australia or Africa might provide for that money, but everyone's priorities and desires differ, so I don't criticize anyone for spending that kind of money.

I've always assumed that if/when the Bills go to a Super Bowl, I have no hope of being able to afford a ticket to the game, BUT...

I will definitely, 100%, without a shadow of a doubt fly to Buffalo, find a happening place in the city to watch the game with other Bills fans, and then remain in the city for the following week to take place in the absolutely apocalyptic, city-destroying revelry and historic Super Bowl parade that will happen. I absolutely HAVE to be there for that, and I will.

There's a decent chance I get arrested for getting into a fight with a police horse or die of alcohol over-indulgence, but either way, I'll be there.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

I'd prefer a lifetime of memories that a trip to Europe or Australia or Africa might provide for that money, but everyone's priorities and desires differ, so I don't criticize anyone for spending that kind of money.

I hear you.  And not to argue, at all, but just to say that I've been fortunate enough to have done some of both, and the memories are different.  Those memories each are simply an isolated memory of a particular point in time.   You can compare your trip to Africa to your trip to Europe, but the two trips aren't also part of a continuous narrative that runs through your life.   The Bills are a continuous narrative, which is something that is part of my current life.  So, those fan experiences, simple points in time, remain with me, are current with me.  I can't say that about our other trips.  

On 12/29/2022 at 8:00 PM, Captain Caveman said:

I know Super Bowl ticket prices are absurd (like about 6000$ including fees, etc... for the absolute worst seats.)  Add in flights and hotel and you're probably looking at at least $20000 for 2 people to go together.  I'm looking at my finances, and although I could make it work, it just seems outrageous to spend that much money on a 2-3 day trip.  On the other hand, it could be a once in a lifetime opportunity.  So - if the Bills are in the Super Bowl, are you likely to be there?

Josh Allen is our quarterback, it would not be once in a life time. 

For the 1st super bowl, I think I want to be in Buffalo for it. Just to enjoy the moment alone, and then go out and party afterward. I honestly wouldnt go even if i could afford it. For a 2nd or 3rd super bowl, i would want to try to go. If i find $20,000 laying around somewhere by accident.

Edited by wagon127

I would rather go to a super bowl where I was casual observer.  I don't want to watch the Bills play the most important game in franchise history surrounded by a mostly indifferent crowd.

I probably don't need to think about it as much as I just did.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Agree 1

Regarding the ticket lottery, does anyone know when it would happen (not until after we win the championship game?) Do you get more weight / entries based on how long you've had season tickets, or is it pretty much spread evenly amongst all season ticket holders?

I just booked a (refundable) room for the visit, and looking at flights it looks like I'd be able to spend about 15$ to hold a fare for 2 weeks, so will probably look into booking something there as it gets closer.  That's all very pricey, but really the tickets are what pushes it into absurd territory.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.