Hackett fired in Denver

YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

They have Miami's first rounder in 2023 from the Chubb trade.  And Hackett was a big part of the problem.   

But still a good point, that it's a bad job due to Russ. 

Yep.  Like Hackett, was such a disaster he didn't even last a full season. 

If Russ played to expectations Hackett would likely still have his job. He’d still be doing a bad job. But he’d be employed and Denver would at least think they were building something. But they’d also be wrong. 

There is clip from an interview on PMT/Barstool that is super disturbing. Basically in some bio/research class, Hackett pointed a sliced artery of a live test animal and started squirting it at his classmates. And that’s the moment he knew he was going to be a football coach because of his “sense of humor”.

5 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

If I'm reading it right his dead money hit is 107 million if they cut him after this season.  More knowledgeable capologists on here could tell us if that money can be spread out at all, but even so that is a LOT of money to be spending on someone not on the team.

There’s not a lot they can do, they guaranteed a fortune, they are screwed.

4 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Can they get out of the contract they gave Russell?  They traded all those picks and the new contract even in the lowest  days of the drought have the Bills ever had such an inept signing.  

Yeah they can get out of it no probs… only $125m guaranteed so just need to adsorb a $100m dead money hit over the next two years or something like that.  

The Denver Broncos coach Nate Hackett you would be better off with the late comedian Buddy Hackett coaching your football team. The Seattle Seahawks ripped off the Broncos Russell Wilson is done as a NFL QB. BSF it is the coaching? No it isn’t Russell won his Super Bowl he has checked out when it comes to putting in the time to be great. He is involved in ownership groups for Seattle SuperSonics NBA expansion franchise he is setting up for life outside of football. He is done being elite QB also Tom Brady QB is done when you are thinking retirement you already. Always remember it’s never the owners fault everybody else but the crazy owners that traded for Russell Wilson setting the Broncos back 5 years. I want to also add Los Angeles Lakers LeBron James with Las Vegas NBA he is done being elite he is already thinking retirement he won his rings in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

24 minutes ago, Chewmylegoff said:

Yeah they can get out of it no probs… only $125m guaranteed so just need to adsorb a $100m dead money hit over the next two years or something like that.  

That trade may go down as the worst in NFL history when all is said and done. No first or second for two years and an albatross of a contract for a player in deep decline.

Denver may challenge our 17 year drought. As it is they have the longest streak since 2011. They have literally no hope for the near future

I've been utterly shocked on the  continued coaching opportunities he got in the first place- he will forever be remembered as Marrones fall guy when he was in Buffalo. I don't remember any success what so ever when he coached our offense. Maybe he was just to new.

Either way not surprised at all it was a horrible hire for them and they need to spin Wilsons abysmal season on something 

3 hours ago, T master said:

Not surprising when they announced him it was a bit of a surprise i didn't know that working in GB made him that much of a commodity & just seeing what he did here wasn't impressive at all !! 

They hired him specifically because of his time in GB - with the hope that Aaron who liked Hackett - would follow and give them a Vet QB. 

When Rodgers signed back in GB it was a very bad sign for the Broncos because all of a sudden you needed Hackett to coach not recruit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

It's a good comparison between Gase and Hackett.  Both were OC's for all-time great QBs who were late in their careers.   So Manning and Rodgers didn't need a strong hand at OC.   Plus both Denver in those years and GB in Hackett's years had excellent Defenses to support the team.   

..and both had putrid resumes outside of the years with all time great QBs

Denver isnt as bad off as people say.  If they cant bring in Sean Payton, they should be first in line to bring in Eric Bienemy.   They can restructure contracts and walk into free agency with over 71 million dollars.   They also have Miami's first round pick. 

I have to believe Wilson's season has a lot to do with Hackett.   If not, find a suitable back up, and hope having a better coach helps.

Edited by thenorthremembers

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The one season gase was the OC in Chicago Jay Cutler had the best quarterback rating of his career

They were 18th in offense that year. Truly impressive. His offense in Miami was 17th, 28th and 26th. The Jets were 31st and 32nd. So outside of 1 year with Peyton Manning running the offense he never even cracked the top half of the league as an OC (yes, he was the OC in Miami despite naming his yes man to the position).  

How does that make one qualified to be a HC? So we should go find an OC who's never had a top 15 offense and been in the bottom 3rd for most of his career at the thing he's supposed to be a genius at?

Gase was never qualified. Sometimes, when you find yourself in a hole.. stop digging. 

47 minutes ago, Chewmylegoff said:

Ah so at least they left themselves an out.  I wonder if Russell knows he's done and just retires or if he tries to sign elsewhere as there are still plenty of needy teams.  The Bills wouldn't even want Wilson as a backup these days.

6 minutes ago, Malazan said:

They were 18th in offense that year. Truly impressive. His offense in Miami was 17th, 28th and 26th. The Jets were 31st and 32nd. So outside of 1 year with Peyton Manning running the offense he never even cracked the top half of the league as an OC (yes, he was the OC in Miami despite naming his yes man to the position).  

How does that make one qualified to be a HC? So we should go find an OC who's never had a top 15 offense and been in the bottom 3rd for most of his career at the thing he's supposed to be a genius at?

Gase was never qualified. Sometimes, when you find yourself in a hole.. stop digging. 

Our OC was fired from his last job as a QB coach … didn’t even get a job for a year … and than latched onto josh Allen the best player in the world

Edited by Buffalo716

24 minutes ago, buffblue said:

That trade may go down as the worst in NFL history when all is said and done. No first or second for two years and an albatross of a contract for a player in deep decline.

Denver may challenge our 17 year drought. As it is they have the longest streak since 2011. They have literally no hope for the near future

Ah so they just need another 6 years to match our drought and 7 to break the record.  

5 minutes ago, Malazan said:

...and? It feels like you think you have some sort of point here..

Yeah You can’t be a bum coach all your life and become an NFL head coach

You need to have success and be highly thought of

So when people call Hackett a bum it’s crazy because he’s better than 99.9% of football coaches in the world

Was he a bad nfl head coach? yea

But you need to be highly thought  of and have enough success to be an NFL head coach.. 1 of 32 in the world

There’s millions of coaches who never sniff the NFL

I have players and coaches backs.. I don’t diss coaches for no reason.. It’s a cutthroat job being an NFL coach

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah You can’t be a bum coach all your life and become an NFL head coach

You need to have success and be highly thought of

So when people call Hackett a bum it’s crazy because he’s better than 99.9% of football coaches in the world

Ok...that's great he's better than high school and little league coaches. He's probably qualified to be a head coach at that level. 

2 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Ok...that's great he's better than high school and little league coaches. He's probably qualified to be a head coach at that level. 

I played Coached and scouted For 30+ years

My MO is generally not to diss people in the game of football for no reason 

We’ve had tons of terrible coaches here and I gave them all the benefit of the doubt

I just stick up for coaches

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

I doubt they’ll get rid of Wilson with that contract of his. They’ll hire a coach who will give him at least one more season to see if it was Hackett holding him back, or if Wilson has truly lost it

Yeah, just read somewhere the Broncos would be on the hook for a $107M dead cap hit if they just cut Wilson.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

If I'm reading it right his dead money hit is 107 million if they cut him after this season.  More knowledgeable capologists on here could tell us if that money can be spread out at all, but even so that is a LOT of money to be spending on someone not on the team.

I mean, it’s not just the money it’s the insane amount of draft picks they gave up they’re gonna have to stick with him

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, I can understand the logic of it. 

-Hackett was the OC for the top-10 Packers offense the last 2 seasons.

This has probably been mentioned but it always seemed to me that Hackett was the OC in name only.  From the outside looking in it appeared as though LaFleur was running the offense.  At least that's the way it sounded when Rodgers was talking.

22 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Two Words: Aaron Rodgers.

Two more words, Paul Hackett.

22 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Broncos players fighting on the sidelines was such a terrible look. They had to do it now.

And then the Randy Gregory fight after the game, swinging on the Rams player.

16 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The most hilarious part of this is Rossburg is taking over at interim head coach. That’s the guy that Hackett hired to be his clock management coach 😆 

That 64 yard FG attempt really got Hackett off on the wrong foot. You're paying your new QB top salary and there's 45 seconds and 3 time outs and you're gonna run the clock down and attempt a 64 yard field goal? That was the first clear sign (aside from the constant delay of game penalties) that Hackett was in over his head. That moment was surreal and the Denver fans must have been horrified.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Did he really say that and if he did does to 716 still have his back?

Did you know the word gullible is not in the dictionary? 😀

Seriously, Russ Wilson was not set up for failure... he was allowed to bring in many of his people, calling and raising Tom Brady's Alex Guerrero.

From The Athletic: "They provided Wilson with his own office in the team facility, gave unfettered access to members of the quarterback’s personal team of coaches and trainers and handed Wilson a key role in the design and implementation of the offense he would run with his new team."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

From The Athletic: "They provided Wilson with his own office in the team facility, gave unfettered access to members of the quarterback’s personal team of coaches and trainers and handed Wilson a key role in the design and implementation of the offense he would run with his new team."

Right - I just started a topic on this (mods: feel free to merge). I was unaware of how deep the "entourage" thing went with Russell, right down to the personal on-site coach.

1 hour ago, jlgarsh said:

Culley should not have been fired. Team is worse without him.

Yea that made no sense if all you were going to do was replace him with Lovie. If you were going to go get your coach of the future, fine. But to replace one 1 year bridge coach with another was totally confusing. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.