Hackett fired in Denver

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

NOTHING will change.

Russell Wilson will still start and look horrible.

The Broncos defense will still get torched by the Chiefs.

*yawn*

Probably, I'm going to hold out hope they beat KC by 1 or more points having a bounce back after firing a bad coach. 

It happens sometimes, why not hope.

3 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

If the Broncos are in the mood to fire people, they might want to fully evaluate their GM and front office too.  They got fleeced by the Seahawks in the trade for what looks like a washed-up Russel Wilson this season and saddled with a big cap-hitting contract with lots of term.  A trade which will likely provide the Seahawks with a potential top 3 pick for a team that is going to be shopping for a replacement franchise QB.  Well done, Seattle.  

The Broncos’ GM did manage to fleece Miami into giving them a first round pick for a JAG named Bradley Chubb…

Edited by mannc

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was working with EJ Manuel

Then took Kyle Orton off the bench we almost made the playoffs

He wasn’t the problem lol

Sorry hard disagree. I can't tell you how many jokes about his play calling and the numerous predictable runs up the gut for 0 yards we had.

We didn't make the playoffs though. He was terrible and everyone was complaining to get rid of him the whole time he was here. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:
So instead of giving their DC Ejiro Evero an opportunity after an incredible year for his unit, they give it to this random guy that has been in the building for a couple months.

My guess is they want the coordinators to still be able to focus on their units with only two games left.  An oversight temporary head coach is pry the best way to go given they play the Chiefs and Chargers.  Don't want to stain Evero's future candidacy by getting blown out twice as head coach.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Sorry hard disagree. I can't tell you how many jokes about his play calling and the numerous predictable runs up the gut for 0 yards we had.

We didn't make the playoffs though. He was terrible and everyone was complaining to get rid of him the whole time he was here. 

He obviously didn’t pan out as a head coach

But he climbed the ranks to head coach because he was Universally thought of as a good coach in football circles… And kept getting coordinator jobs… You don’t fail up in the NFL

And bills fans basically dislike every coordinator.. We have a hard part of the Fanbase who didn’t like daboll and Frazier 

Go back to articles from a decade ago when we hired Hackett … Almost universally praised as an offensive guru and one of the hottest young coaches in the NFL

It just didn’t pan out… It was not a retread hire or some guy that was expected to suck

He was considered an offensive guru… And climbed the ranks to NFL head coach

One of 32 in the world

Our organization was a mess… From the top down… Maybe That’s why nothing worked

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

He obviously didn’t pan out as a head coach

But he climbed the ranks to head coach because he was Universally thought of as a good coach in football circles… And kept getting coordinator jobs… You don’t fail up in the NFL

And bills fans basically dislike every coordinator.. We have a hard part of the Fanbase who didn’t like daboll and Frazier 

Go back to articles from a decade ago when we hired Hackett … Almost universally praised as an offensive guru and one of the hottest young coaches in the NFL

It just didn’t pan out… It was not a retread hire or some guy that was expected to suck

He was considered an offensive guru

Dw5Qo14WoAIfhMn?format=jpg&name=small

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

Hackett is only a very small part of their issues. Broncos are toast going forward. I wouldn’t touch that job with a 100000 foot pole. 

A washed up Russ with CTE and the worst co tract in the NFL. No first round picks, and an estimated $15M in cap space. 

I'll sign a 3 year / $10 mil deal tomorrow.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Probably, I'm going to hold out hope they beat KC by 1 or more points having a bounce back after firing a bad coach. 

It happens sometimes, why not hope.

There is no hope... Denver is definitely going to lose to the Chiefs this weekend.

Lock in in.... DOOM, DOOM!

There. 😂

48 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So instead of giving their DC Ejiro Evero an opportunity after an incredible year for his unit, they give it to this random guy that has been in the building for a couple months.

Turns out they did offer it to the DC and he didn't take it. Which is even funnier somehow.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mannc said:

The Broncos’ GM did manage to fleece Miami into giving them a first round pick for a JAG named Bradley Chubb…

Good point.  And Miami signs Chubb to a big deal.  Guess the moral is impulse buying can be expensive.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

39 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Gase was the OC of a broncos team that broke every offensive record 

that’s not failing up… That helped him get a head-coaching job

You can't be serious.. he got coffee for manning and then when he left to go be OC somewhere else.. the offense wasn't good. Then he got a HC job.. and the offense wasn't very good then he got ANOTHER HC job and.. can you guess how the offense was? I bet you can!

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

Awesome 

wilson will be sent packing after season 

Can they get out of the contract they gave Russell?  They traded all those picks and the new contract even in the lowest  days of the drought have the Bills ever had such an inept signing.  

Edited by AuntieEm

10 minutes ago, Malazan said:

You can't be serious.. he got coffee for manning and then when he left to go be OC somewhere else.. the offense wasn't good. Then he got a HC job.. and the offense wasn't very good then he got ANOTHER HC job and.. can you guess how the offense was? I bet you can!

The one season gase was the OC in Chicago Jay Cutler had the best quarterback rating of his career

And he led the Dolphins to the playoffs once

I’m not sitting here saying he was a great head coach… He certainly didn’t fail as a coordinator like you are saying … He became A head coach because of his success at his other stops

Do you know who is a failed OC? Turk Schonert , Who the bills fired before the regular season even started

That’s truly failing

Edited by Buffalo716

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

LOL. 

I know opinions on this board vary, but I trend towards crediting some of the film breakdowns pointing out that Wilson has had options, he's just running off-script (or writing his own script) and there actually are open receivers and plays to be had.

I don't think we're going to see a change under the same OC (the Packers former TE coach).  But, an OC who can either design a system to work with whatever Wilson has left, OR, who can get Wilson to buy-in and work within the offense he designs, could look much more successful with Wilson.

The problem was - in Seattle what worked was strong runs and then Wilson going off script with pressure and throwing the ball deep as guys moved up.  

Wilson was at one time one of the few off script guys that could throw anyplace on the field from any spot.  The league struggled with that and did not have a defense early on.

Now he is more limited with age and the league has developed new defenses for Mahomes, Allen, and even guys like Burrow to flood the passing lanes and Wilson has not adjusted his game at all.

Hackett is not blameless as a HC, but Seattle recognized that Wilson had a style and was not adjusting to the new NFL and wanted to move on.  I am not sure there is an OC or HC that can bring him back.  It will require Wilson to accept that he is no longer elite and change to more of a Tom Brady - hit the open guy and move down the field in small chunks.  

In the mean time - Hackett had to go and the team has to reset and try again.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Gase was the OC of a broncos team that broke every offensive record 

that’s not failing up… That helped him get a head-coaching job

His resume was pry good enough to get him the Dolphins job but his offense in Chicago and Miami vastly under performed with the talent they had.  It was a horrible hire by the Jets.  Peyton Manning pretty much made any offensive coordinator he had look good.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

His resume was pry good enough to get him the Dolphins job but his offense in Chicago and Miami vastly under performed with the talent they had.  It was a horrible hire by the Jets.  Peyton Manning pretty much made any offensive coordinator he had look good.

I don’t think there was a lot of talent than that bears offense 

It had a terrible offensive line… An old Matt forte… Getting over the hill Jay Cutler… And Alshon Jeffery… The over under was 6 1/2 wins lol

His number two was Eddie royal lol

And then Jay Cutler had the best passer rating of his career … 

That’s not lighting the world on fire but it’s not failing

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Never understood how he became a Head Coach.

He came to Buffalo from Syracuse under Marrone and ran a dreadfully boring offense.

Followed Marrone to Jacksonville and did the same thing.

Hung around Aaron Rodgers and rehabbed his image. 

And we have since learned that the Bills got hood-winked by Marrone’s agent and their 5-day “no stone unturned” search in Arizona led by Russ Brandon. 

Same way Adam Gabe did. Be named the OC with a HOF QB that covers up all your mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

All true, but to be fair, whining about the OC is a cottage industry amongst Bills fans 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

If the Broncos are in the mood to fire people, they might want to fully evaluate their GM and front office too.  They got fleeced by the Seahawks in the trade for what looks like a washed-up Russel Wilson this season and saddled with a big cap-hitting contract with lots of term.  A trade which will likely provide the Seahawks with a potential top 3 pick for a team that is going to be shopping for a replacement franchise QB.  Well done, Seattle.  

I agree.  They destroyed that franchise for a few YEARS.  The icing on the cake is they didn't even need to extend Wilson....and they did so before he played his first snap as a bronco....why? 

25 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Raiders have to be next right?

Probably not. They literally can't afford to fire him and hire another coach 

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t think there was a lot of talent than that bears offense 

It had a terrible offensive line… An old Matt forte… Getting over the hill Jay Cutler… And Alshon Jeffery… The over under was 6 1/2 wins lol

His number two was Eddie royal lol

And then Jay Cutler had the best passer rating of his career … 

That’s not lighting the world on fire but it’s not failing

That's fair.  I understood the Fins hiring him but he never should've gotten a second head coaching job. 

I remember the Jets justification for hiring him was that his offenses got worse each year he coached in Miami because he wasn't technically the offensive coordinator and that he was a "QB whisperer" who would fix Sam Darnold.  Basically ignoring his last three years of work in a rapidly evolving NFL.

• Agree 1

Well, I thought they'd wait until the offseason, but I honestly don't see much success in Hackett's future as a HC or as an OC. Rogers carried him in GB, but he's been exposed. If he has any success going forward, it can only be in the NCAA. Please don't bring him in here again. He'll ruin Josh like he did Wilson. I still think Wilson will be successful in Denver if they hire a competent HC or OC.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mango said:

Hackett is only a very small part of their issues. Broncos are toast going forward. I wouldn’t touch that job with a 100000 foot pole. 

A washed up Russ with CTE and the worst co tract in the NFL. No first round picks, and an estimated $15M in cap space. 

They have Miami's first rounder in 2023 from the Chubb trade.  And Hackett was a big part of the problem.   

But still a good point, that it's a bad job due to Russ. 

4 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Urban Myer Jags last year.

Yep.  Like Hackett, was such a disaster he didn't even last a full season. 

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

It's a good comparison between Gase and Hackett.  Both were OC's for all-time great QBs who were late in their careers.   So Manning and Rodgers didn't need a strong hand at OC.   Plus both Denver in those years and GB in Hackett's years had excellent Defenses to support the team.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.