Cookie Gilchrist About To Crumble Out Of Bills Top 10 Rushers!

RocCityRoller

1960s legend Cookie Gilchrist is about to crumble to 11th or 12th amongst Buffalo Bill all time rushing yard leaders.

9 - CJ Spiller - 3321

10 - Cookie Gilchrist - 3056

11 - Josh Allen - 3030

12 - Devin Singletary - 3016

So Allen needs 27 yards rushing, and Singletary needs 41 to surpass Cookie.

Both could happen versus the Bears this weekend with bad weather expected.

Edited by RocCityRoller

4 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

1960s legend Cookie Gilchrist is about to tumble to 11th or 12th amongst Buffalo Bill all time rushing yard leaders.

9 - CJ Spiller - 3321

11 - Josh Allen - 3030

They need to keep on running and get Spiller off of that list.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Didn't he trash the city when he left?

How many people go to Buffalo and say, "this place is AWESOME?!?"

Young guy in his early to mid 20s from Miami.  

I found the quote:

"Coming from Miami, I was used to partying, going out, just having something to do every night. Restaurants, whatever. Going to Buffalo, it was like hitting a brick wall. Like, 'Damn!' Can't go out, can't do nothing. There's an Applebee's, a TGI Friday's, and they just got a Dave & Busters. They got that, and I'm like, 'What the?' And, you know, the women . . . ."

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

They need to keep on running and get Spiller off of that list.

No doubt Josh will knock spiller off this year when season is complete. He's gonna be in nfl record books for a big stretch of time as he is such a unicorn that even kids emulating him will find it hard to hit his highs.  Not impossible as I tend to avoid making absolute statements on anything with so many variables. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

How many people go to Buffalo and say, "this place is AWESOME?!?"

Young guy in his early to mid 20s from Miami.  

I found the quote:

"Coming from Miami, I was used to partying, going out, just having something to do every night. Restaurants, whatever. Going to Buffalo, it was like hitting a brick wall. Like, 'Damn!' Can't go out, can't do nothing. There's an Applebee's, a TGI Friday's, and they just got a Dave & Busters. They got that, and I'm like, 'What the?' And, you know, the women . . . ."

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I'm sure he said more. But yeah, not surprising people don't like him if he spoke bad about the city when he left. I don't care myself. I've only been to Buffalo one time.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Why do you not like Willis McGahee??

Bills v. Cheats at the Razor, 9/10/2006.  Up 17-7 in the 3rd QTR and facing 4th and 1 at the Cheats 7, the normally conservative Dickie J goes for it.  McGahee puts up as much pressure as a feather duster and is stopped for no gain.  Bills are shut out the rest of the way and the Cheats win 19-17.

After the game, when asked about the 4th down play, his reply was "It was 4th down?"  I have hated his *****in' guts since then.  The Bills threw this guy a lifeline wasting a first round pick on his useless ass, since he sat an entire season before playing (*****in' Donahoe, but that's another diatribe).  So instead of his best effort, his lackadaisical attitude cost us this game against the Cheats.  Then of course he badmouths us on his way out of town, instead of thanking Buffalo for the opportunity.  I could go on, but this is just making me angry. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Bills v. Cheats at the Razor, 9/10/2006.  Up 17-7 in the 3rd QTR and facing 4th and 1 at the Cheats 7, the normally conservative Dickie J goes for it.  McGahee puts up as much pressure as a feather duster and is stopped for no gain.  Bills are shut out the rest of the way and the Cheats win 19-17.

After the game, when asked about the 4th down play, his reply was "It was 4th down?"  I have hated his *****in' guts since then.  The Bills threw this guy a lifeline wasting a first round pick on his useless ass, since he sat an entire season before playing (*****in' Donahoe, but that's another diatribe).  So instead of his best effort, his lackadaisical attitude cost us this game against the Cheats.  Then of course he badmouths us on his way out of town, instead of thanking Buffalo for the opportunity.  I could go on, but this is just making me angry. 

I respect your opinion of him.

I have the same level of hatred for Flutie and Tyrod and talking about them pisses me off, too.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I respect your opinion of him.

I have the same level of hatred for Flutie and Tyrod and talking about them pisses me off, too.

I'm a Flutie fan, but I get the hate.  Tuhrod was just ridiculously conservative, so I'm right there with you on him (he also let people mispronounce his name for 5 years, so there's that).

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

I'm a Flutie fan, but I get the hate.  Tuhrod was just ridiculously conservative, so I'm right there with you on him (he also let people mispronounce his name for 5 years, so there's that).

There's actually a video of his family at the moment he got drafted and they were calling him Ty and Tyrod (pronounced TIE-rod) in the video.

So his assertion that his name was being mispronounced was just more bullsh*t coming from his trash mouth.  He made up "tuh-ROD," because he's a self-consumed attention w.hore.

There.  Now BOTH of us are angry.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

There's actually a video of his family at the moment he got drafted and they were calling him Ty and Tyrod (pronounced TIE-rod) in the video.

So his assertion that his name was being mispronounced was just more bullsh*t coming from his trash mouth.  He made up "tuh-ROD," because he's a self-consumed attention w.hore.

There.  Now BOTH of us are angry.

LOL!!!  FWIW, I'm LMAOing now....

• Haha (+1) 1

Looked at receiving and Diggs may surpass Thurman Thomas in just 3 years too. Granted Thomas is out of position obviously but still. May be a stretch to make it to top 5 this year but will be close. Either way impressive for the short time he's been here.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/career-receiving.htm

Edited by What a Tuel

With 27 yards vs. the Bears, James Cook would have 390 for his Bills career and would move from 63rd to 58th all time, passing Bills legends Willmer Fowler (372), Billy Joe (377), Chris Ivory (385), Bill "Earthquake" Enyart (387) and Tashard Choice (390). That would put Booker Moore (420) and former rookie of the year Dennis Shaw (432) in range. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cookie was the meanest, toughest SOB I ever saw. Just plain nasty player.Cookie wanted to play FB and LB, both ways, never leave the field. I still say he was just as good as Jim Brown . CTE got to be a problem for him after a few seasons in Buffalo. Cookie is one of my favorite all time Bills players.

https://www.buffalosportshallfame.com/member/cookie-gilchrist/

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I still don't understand how a guy who only played for the Bills for three years is on the Wall of Fame.

Maybe because he was an integral part of the only championships the Bills have achieved. He also was the Jim Taylor of the AFL and made Kemp and Lamonica that much better with the threat of a freight train carrying the ball . Young fans can’t appreciate how dominant he was.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

This is because you never saw him play.

Here are some Cookie highlights:

8 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Maybe because he was an integral part of the only championships the Bills have achieved. He also was the Jim Taylor of the AFL and made Kemp and Lamonica that much better with the threat of a freight train carrying the ball . Young fans can’t appreciate how dominant he was.

Thanks for these posts. Admittedly, I’m only going by stats, so this kind of context/color is both helpful and appreciated. 

6 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

1960s legend Cookie Gilchrist is about to crumble to 11th or 12th amongst Buffalo Bill all time rushing yard leaders.

9 - CJ Spiller - 3321

11 - Josh Allen - 3030

FIFY

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Bills threw this guy a lifeline wasting a first round pick on his useless ass, since he sat an entire season before playing (*****in' Donahoe, but that's another diatribe). 

Not to piss you off even more lol but iirc, he sat a full season plus 4 games.  Eric Steinbach (who turned out to be an excellent left guard and even an adequate LT) was right there to be taken. At the time (not unusual mind you) the Bills were desperate for OL help. 

Drafting Magahee really sent me over the edge, but not as much as drafting Spiller, McKelvin, and especially Whitner did. 

Those were tough times for Bills fans! 

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I still don't understand how a guy who only played for the Bills for three years is on the Wall of Fame.

Some stuff to consider:

Was offered a contract as a High School junior by Paul Brown to be a RB for the Cleveland Browns in the vein of Marion Motley and Jim Brown

Contract dispute with Browns - Gilchrist went to Canada

He had played 9 years in Canada prior to joining Bills in AFL

Joined Bills to be backup/ compete with Ernie Davis, the Syracuse star. Davis ended up signing with NFL (Redskins to Cleveland)

In 3 Seasons with Buffalo:

AFL MVP 1962 (AP)

1st 1000 yard rusher in AFL (3 RBs eclipsed 1k in 1962)

AFL rushing TD leader (or tied for lead) every season he played in Buffalo

AFL rushing leader yards 2 of 3 seasons (3rd the other)

Was Bills kicker 1962!

Scored 25 rushing TDs in his first 28 games

It's claimed his 243 yard/ 5 TD game versus the Jets set a North American professional football record for rush yards in a game (since bested)

Was the sparkplug for the Bills first championship 1964

Was Earl Campbell before Earl Campbell

Edited by RocCityRoller

• RocCityRoller changed the title to Cookie Gilchrist About To Crumble Out Of Bills Top 10 Rushers!
4 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

With 27 yards vs. the Bears, James Cook would have 390 for his Bills career and would move from 63rd to 58th all time, passing Bills legends Willmer Fowler (372), Billy Joe (377), Chris Ivory (385), Bill "Earthquake" Enyart (387) and Tashard Choice (390). That would put Booker Moore (420) and former rookie of the year Dennis Shaw (432) in range. 

Neckbert had 377 rushing yards for the Bills?  And who could forget Tashard "Taster's" Choice?  Some awesome names there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.