Week 16: Bills at Bears on Christmas Eve

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Sorry if this came off as grouchy.  It's been gnawing at me for a while and for some reason I just feel in the mood to air grievances today.

I think we have strategically stayed in nickel a few games when teams were running on us and I def wouldn’t say we’re bad overall against the run yet.    Back in the first jets game days we were missing one of Milano/edmunds (can’t remember which) and we’d have to sub taron Johnson out to have two pretty bad linebackers on the field at the same time. 

against Miami you’ve gotta respect  tyreek/waddle which I’m sure kept us in the nickel.  There’s a pretty interesting connection between the jets/dolphins/packers coaching wise…maybe this is a bit conspiracy theory but I think those three teams’ offensive coordinators talked when working on their own game plans lol.  The jets OC is Matt lafleur’s brother and Mike McDaniel is good friends with Matt Lafleur also.  

11 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think we have strategically stayed in nickel a few games when teams were running on us and I def wouldn’t say we’re bad overall against the run yet.    Back in the first jets game days we were missing one of Milano/edmunds (can’t remember which) and we’d have to sub taron Johnson out to have two pretty bad linebackers on the field at the same time. 

against Miami you’ve gotta respect  tyreek/waddle which I’m sure kept us in the nickel.  There’s a pretty interesting connection between the jets/dolphins/packers coaching wise…maybe this is a bit conspiracy theory but I think those three teams’ offensive coordinators talked when working on their own game plans lol.  The jets OC is Matt lafleur’s brother and Mike McDaniel is good friends with Matt Lafleur also.  

And McDaniel mentioned the different formations.  He said that in the first quarter we had two high safeties so they ran it and then when we brought one down, they went to the pass.

1 hour ago, sodbuster said:

My plans changed last minute and I'm going to be in Charleston, SC for the game. Anybody know of a good backer bar down there? I'm getting mixed answers elsewhere online.

I will give the same advice I always do in these situations: Don’t trust Bills Backers info you find on line. It may be helpful, but I’ve been burned that way in the past and have learned to call and verify. The info on line in some cases is out of date. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

just shoveled my drive (suburban chi) and forgot what -40 wind chill felt like.  just brutal.  

anyone going to this game please bundle and layer up, even ski masks.  

do not expose any skin !  

Ski mask and snow board goggles

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn't see the latter coming.  Guess they like Kingsley Jonathan > Mike Love?

No elevations at DT is promising for Jordan Phillips and Ed Oliver I think

Makes sense to elevate Beasley over John Brown given the weather tomorrow.  Need the short game more in the wind.

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Meanwhile back in WNY for those not "lucky enough" to be here...

And this, Good Friends, would be the reason the Bills flew out yesterday.  A wise move!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

There used to be a girl who did this stuff a while back. Guess I dont have a real pint here. It just reminded me of it. She looked like Reese Witherspoon lol. 

Bills girl! I met her at a bills game at MetLife in…2019? I think. She’s from the NYC area and super nice. 

• Like (+1) 2

Apologies if this has already been discussed ad nauseum, but given that the Bears passing game is already bad even before considering the wind tomorrow, we should be planning to stack the box and daring the Bears to pass the ball into press coverage.  If we can stop the run and contain Fields, I don’t see how they’re going to move the ball.  Are others seeing this the same way?

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed ad nauseum, but given that the Bears passing game is already bad even before considering the wind tomorrow, we should be planning to stack the box and daring the Bears to pass the ball into press coverage.  If we can stop the run and contain Fields, I don’t see how they’re going to move the ball.  Are others seeing this the same way?

Pretty sure that will be the game plan.  Let Tre and Kair man up in the outside 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Pretty much. Expect a lot of 4-3 with Klein in as the third backer. 

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Going out in a few. We didn't get much. Looks like 2-3".  Truck in driveway has no snow on it.

We are far south suburbs. Almost Indiana. 

we're far west, about 2" too.  took about 20 minutes to shovel with my 48" push plow.  the wind is brutal!  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Howling out there now!

I just heard an interview on the radio with mark giangreco, a retired chicago sports caster who is from buffalo (grover cleveland high).  

life long bills and sabres fan, he's going to the game tomorrow for "as long as they can last" ! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Is it just me or is the "we don't adjust and always stay in the same nickel defense" the new "Josh is inaccurate."  It is a statement that I hear over and over again that is, well, inaccurate.   Every time we have a team run on us (Green Bay, Miami), we hear "power running teams are going to destroy us."  Yeah...that's why teams like Cleveland with Chub, or Tennessee with Henry, or the Patriots with Stevenson, or Jets with Zonovan Knight have each racked up like 500 yards rushing against us.  Wait...they haven't?  But if a poor rushing team like Miami can rush for 200 yards, then what happened?  Could it be that we played different differences against these different teams even if we used the same personnel? If anything we over scheme (which may be necessary when missing someone like Hyde).  Zach Wilson, was hitting wide open receivers against us.  Granted his stats weren't great but they were better than his 50% for 90 yards that we saw last night.   Meanwhile, Green Bay ran the ball because Rodgers couldn't find open receivers.  This defense actually does a good job of taking away what they perceive to be the opposing offense's strength, but make themselves vulnerable to the other team's weakness.  Much has been made about the Dolphins running against us.  Yes, Mostert had 101 yards rushing against us in the first quarter...but that means he only had 37 yards in the other three, which is not great.  Our defense changed!!  Of course, that left us exposed to Waddle getting open.  My point is we need to stop claiming our defense doesn't adjust.  It does...even if you seem the same players (including Taron Johnson) out there.

The Green Bay game was a head scratcher. The Bills had a fairly large lead at the half and the Packers still came out and continued to run the ball and use up the clock to the Bill's benefit. If I remember correctly GB started passing late in the game with some success but the damage was already done even though the Bills didn't do crap offensively for the whole 2nd half. I remember seeing comments after the game that GB torched us on the ground but those comments didn't take into account the game situation. We also got criticized for last year's game against the Pats* at home in the terrible weather. OMG, we gave up 200 yards on the ground. Well, NE only completed a couple of short passes so the total yards given up was actually very good. Quoting statistics in a vacuum is meaningless.

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Pretty much. Expect a lot of 4-3 with Klein in as the third backer. 

I think one might want to look at what defenses the Bills have played to defend Lamar Jackson

2022 Week 4: Taron Johnson 99% of the snaps, Tyrel Dodson 1%

Ravens: "We're gonna spend 50% of our time in a 2 back set

McDermott: "Don't care"

Ravens: "We're gonna spend at least 30% of our time in a 2 TE set

McDermott: "Still don't care"

Ravens: "We're gonna rush for 162 yds"

McDermott: "And?"

Ravens: "144 passing yards and 2 INT"

McDermott: "Uh-huh"

On the other hand, in the 2020 playoffs with AJ Klein, we did spend about 40% of our time in a 4-3 defense.  And Baltimore had 150 rush yards, but 222 passing yards. 

So I guess exactly what we see may depend upon the threat perception.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Nickel it is then! (That’s what Frazier is thinking) 

3 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Yup. They should be in 4-3 much more than usual.

If Basham was playing you could even play some 5-2 by kicking him inside. 

Will be interesting to see what Frazier does now that he is down to 3 DEs. Does Oliver and/or Settle play some DE? Does Edmunds? I'd rather see something creative instead of just bringing up some PS bum to take snaps at DE. 

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

The Green Bay game was a head scratcher. The Bills had a fairly large lead at the half and the Packers still came out and continued to run the ball and use up the clock to the Bill's benefit. If I remember correctly GB started passing late in the game with some success but the damage was already done even though the Bills didn't do crap offensively for the whole 2nd half. I remember seeing comments after the game that GB torched us on the ground but those comments didn't take into account the game situation. We also got criticized for last year's game against the Pats* at home in the terrible weather. OMG, we gave up 200 yards on the ground. Well, NE only completed a couple of short passes so the total yards given up was actually very good. Quoting statistics in a vacuum is meaningless.

You left out one statistic. They were 1-1 in the two games you pointed out. So OMG they gave up 200 yards AND LOST has a lot more meaning than how you describe it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.