I hope the Bills invest heavily into the offensive line this offseason

Einstein

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

We’ve been overdoing drafting Dlineman recently last yr we could have drafted Creed Humphrey over Basham . Humphrey is a top 3 center in the game right now and at the time was a no brainer pick over Basham. McD most of overruled Beane in the draft room because double drafting DEs in first 2rds is borderline insanity especially when the previous yr we used our highest Pk and Epenesa. 

This. Drafting Basham over Humphrey was stupid in the moment. No hindsight needed. Watching Boogie get schooled over and over last night while Josh runs for his life just rubbed it in.

Drafting Zach Moss was a wasted pick. Drafting Cook was a luxury when you can find RBs later in the draft or as cheap FAs.  And then drafting a LBer with the size of a safety, the speed of a lineman and a history of injuries was icing on the cake.

That’s four opportunities to draft a contributing OL.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

OL and WR…we need a #2.

At this point they almost have to draft one, the cost of WRs is insane and we’re already paying Diggs big.  Whatever they do, this off season has to be offense focused.  The line isn’t good enough to hold up for mediocre weapons to get open.  There’s nothing making teams not double Diggs all day so the one guy you have can’t be his best.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

@ 32 the Bills absolutely have to draft Saffolds replacement. WR in the 2nd round then RT in the 3rd round. No Sean I'm not allowing you to take 1 defensive player in the first 3 picks.

I think it's clear that we'll get the best possible return by drafting a RT in round 1. The IOL also needs at least 2 upgrades. Still, I want to keep this D intact as much as possible. With Hyde and Miller returning, they could be in a class all their own. We just need Elam to take the next step. RT and G could come in rounds 1 and 3 maybe. 
We need to add a WR. We also need to add to the TE position. I don't know how much of that is possible, but we'll see. A big power runner for home games in inclimate weather would also be a nice add. Keep Spencer Brown for his potential, but I think they need to let him sit if he doesn't start catching on. I also think you should usually take OT's before IOL on draft day unless there's a C/G available who is clearly better. Everyone says you shouldn't draft for need and every year every team does it without fail.

Edited by GreggTX

I don't imagine Morse coming back, esp. if he suffered another concussion yesterday. That easily creates the biggest hole in the OL and should be the number 1 priority in the offseason.  He's the undeniable leader of the OL. 

I don't hate Brown as much as others, provided his back holds out.  He needs help in pass pro sometimes, esp. when a team goes wide 9, but then, most  OT's do.  But he can move people in the run game.  

Its the interior that needs the most work. 

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

This Oline is in shambles. If it weren’t for Josh this would be one of the worst in the NFL. Need to draft and invest $$$ in free agency next year. No excuses. 

A few weeks ago, I was shot down for calling this OL bottom 1/3 in the NFL.  Nothing I have seen the last few games has changed my mind.  Josh is just masking their mediocre play game after game. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

We’ve been overdoing drafting Dlineman recently last yr we could of drafted Creed Humphrey over Basham . Humphrey is a top 3 center in the game right now and at the time was a no brainer pick over Basham. McD most of overruled Beane in the draft room because double drafting DEs in first 2rds is borderline insanity especially when the previous yr we used our highest Pk and Epenesa. 

Willing to bet we have more invested in DL with draft capital and FA money than any team in the league.  It needs to stop, obviously the DL does not score points and win games.  We have one if the best qbs ever and refuse to invest in his protection or weapons.  If we don't win the SB and they have another year of heavy draft capital and FA on defense they need to viewed as on the hot seat for lack of accountability to the offense

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

@ 32 the Bills absolutely have to draft Saffolds replacement.  WR in the 2nd round then RT in the 3rd round. No Sean I'm not allowing you to take 1 defensive player in the first 3 picks.

LOL I love your spirit, but how will we stop him?

4 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

We’ve been overdoing drafting Dlineman recently last yr we could of drafted Creed Humphrey over Basham . Humphrey is a top 3 center in the game right now and at the time was a no brainer pick over Basham. McD most of overruled Beane in the draft room because double drafting DEs in first 2rds is borderline insanity especially when the previous yr we used our highest Pk and Epenesa. 

My concern is that McDermott did not "overrule" Beane.  I think Beane was raised up as a GM in Carolina where the Cam Newton model was get a great franchise QB, then Your Guy is a "rising tide who lifts all boats" on offense - so draft defense.

Mike Shula came from the same school of thought, and so did Dorsey.  Even if Dorsey sees it differently, I'm not sure how much he's "running the show" or how much clout he has to make a case for doing things differently - they've sure surrounded him with a lot of guys.

3 hours ago, Baba Booey said:

If Josh is behind an offensive line that could actually give him 4-5 seconds, he can pick apart any defense in the league. He running for his life back there and still finds guys. 

Question: what QB in today's NFL actually gets 4-5 seconds against good teams, without running behind the LOS to extend the play?

14 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

A few weeks ago, I was shot down for calling this OL bottom 1/3 in the NFL.  Nothing I have seen the last few games has changed my mind.  Josh is just masking their mediocre play game after game. 

with Morse and Bates out, I don't think you should get a single argument. 

With Morse and Bates, I think you're over-rating OL play around the league.  Greg Cosell, who watches more film than anyone, calls us "slightly above average but not better". 

Edited by Beck Water

Have a feeling we will be disappointed with OL drafting when we get there.

Will need to see what's up with Ike first. Then you have Saffold saying he will do whatever it takes to come back ( have a feeling we may take him up on this).

So, as it sits now, I see Dawkins, Bates, Boetteger, Brown, Morse (if he does finish out his contract) and Saffold as the main 6. Doyle's return that's 7. I do see us drafting a couple OL, just not sure if it will be early as I think they like to have some vet's in the BU roles.

Hoping for a WR early, but it really may be that "BPA" this go around. 

3 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I'm all for double dipping in the draft or even free agency as far as targeting the interior, but I think they give Spencer Brown one more pass. The guy had zero, read this closely ZERO, offseason training to work on techniques, size, strength, or agility because of back surgery. How much this has truly set him back only the coaches probably know, but I'm hoping the Beaner acts accordingly and invests significantly one way or another with this group. Hit online heavy 2023!!!

Speed will always be his achilles heal I fear. Technique isn’t changing that.

11 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

They seem to like addressing one thing at a time. First it was skill positions, then it was the D-Line, and next will be O-line. They’ll have a high first round pick which is the perfect spot to get a quality Guard.

11 hours ago, dma0034 said:

They will?

32 is higher than 1!

That always is kind of a confusing point.  A low draft pick is a high number??

12 hours ago, Einstein said:

For all the good that Beane has done - and the list is long and great on that front and we are blessed to have him - it would be wonderful if he spent significant resources this off-season on the o-line. Spencer Brown is going to get Allen crushed sooner or later (hopefully not before we find his replacement), and Saffolds best days are long gone. I also question how much longer Morse plays with all his head injuries.

And when I say invest in the o-line, I don’t mean old retreads like Saffold and castoffs like Quessenberry. 

I mean high draft picks (first two rounds) and signing top tier free agents. Guys like Terron Armstead, who has been very good for Miami this season after being a top tier free agent at the Tackle position this past offseason. What to do with Dawkins? That’s a great problem to have. And James Daniels, who has been an excellent Guard for the Steelers after signing a 3 year, 26.5M contract in the offseason. Or Austin Corbett, who is on a similar deal.

There is some serious talent due to become free agents this offseason (of course some will re-sign with their team), including Elgton Jenkins, Mike McGlinchey, Jack Conclin, and Orlando Brown. The opportunity should be there.

Go Bills.

11 hours ago, ClemsonBills said:

I’m at the point where idc what we do in free agency, I want OL round 1

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

And round 2.

Everyone wanted Knox gone his 1st two seasons, same with Epenesa, it took Edmunds till season 5 to look good to name a couple. This is only Browns second season and had a very limited training camp and pre-season due to surgery.  Even last season I think he may have actually played hurt the 2nd half of season.  So for those reasons I wouldn't give up on Brown and would be surprised if the Bills do too.  Fortunately the Bills have more patience than most posters here do.

Having said that I do agree overall the Bills need to devote resources to the OL, but no reason to go overboard either and draft players who either will be cut or weaken the line overall.   I do agree that Bills have signed to many mid level FA's for the line over the years, would still look in FA to maybe pick up someone, but look for a better talent to potentially start or a solid backup inside for 2023.  Also doesn't pay to draft a guard or center in round 1 so again for those reasons would select WR there, but line in round 2.

Morse still has one year left on his contract, maybe he retires due to concussions or maybe not, though am certain the Bills won't cut him "for his own good"  So good chance he'll be back and Bills will certainly know one way or other before free agency starts, so will know where they stand with him

Dawkins is back, think the same with Bates and I said above Brown will likely be back too.  Having said that, not opposed to bring in some competition for his spot, but with the idea it's his job to lose, give him one more year.

IMO a bigger need is WR so would draft there in round 1, then an interior OL/C in round two with the idea of him becoming the starting center in 2024 and maybe he's starting guard in 2023.

Drafting OL in rounds 1 and 2 means we're either going to be starting rookies or using them as main backup.  With a team as strong as they are counting on rookies to make the team better is a risk so for those reasons would take a OL in round 2 and then maybe also in round 4, and maybe sign a FA guard and tackle for backups and possibly start.  Better off having some experienced players for depth.  Would look at drafting a lineman fairly high in 2024 too, if Brown doesn't work out, he then is looking at his spot, if he does, then he's depth early on and becomes a starter year or two later.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Besides Josh Allen and Knox, what’s led you to believe Beane can’t scout offensive talent?   

We strike out on offensive picks at an alarming rate.   

Jury is still out and on Davis

I’m not saying that Gabe Davis is great, but in the context of a 4th round pick, he is a pretty good one.  Now, do they need to do better at WR2?  I think so.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Speed will always be his achilles heal I fear. Technique isn’t changing that.

Brown has been lousy his first two seasons but hopefully the light comes on for him in year 3.

We have high expectations of him because of his rare athletic traits but he was a very inexperienced small school prospect.

I'm concerned that his back issues might be chronic but if not I do think he has a chance to develop into a very valuable RT.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Everyone wanted Knox gone his 1st two seasons, same with Epenesa, it took Edmunds till season 5 to look good to name a couple. This is only Browns second season and had a very limited training camp and pre-season due to surgery.  Even last season I think he may have actually played hurt the 2nd half of season.  So for those reasons I wouldn't give up on Brown and would be surprised if the Bills do too.  Fortunately the Bills have more patience than most posters here do.

Having said that I do agree overall the Bills need to devote resources to the OL, but no reason to go overboard either and draft players who either will be cut or weaken the line overall.   I do agree that Bills have signed to many mid level FA's for the line over the years, would still look in FA to maybe pick up someone, but look for a better talent to potentially start or a solid backup inside for 2023.  Also doesn't pay to draft a guard or center in round 1 so again for those reasons would select WR there, but line in round 2.

Morse still has one year left on his contract, maybe he retires due to concussions or maybe not, though am certain the Bills won't cut him "for his own good"  So good chance he'll be back and Bills will certainly know one way or other before free agency starts, so will know where they stand with him

Dawkins is back, think the same with Bates and I said above Brown will likely be back too.  Having said that, not opposed to bring in some competition for his spot, but with the idea it's his job to lose, give him one more year.

IMO a bigger need is WR so would draft there in round 1, then an interior OL/C in round two with the idea of him becoming the starting center in 2024 and maybe he's starting guard in 2023.

Drafting OL in rounds 1 and 2 means we're either going to be starting rookies or using them as main backup.  With a team as strong as they are counting on rookies to make the team better is a risk so for those reasons would take a OL in round 2 and then maybe also in round 4, and maybe sign a FA guard and tackle for backups and possibly start.  Better off having some experienced players for depth.  Would look at drafting a lineman fairly high in 2024 too, if Brown doesn't work out, he then is looking at his spot, if he does, then he's depth early on and becomes a starter year or two later.

Everyone has their ideas of what it the priority for next season.

You want a WR in the 1st round and seem pretty positive that the OL doesn't need "that much" next year.

Under contract for 2023.

Morse - Last year of his contract.  He is an injury risk always.

Dawkins - Yes, a starting LT.

Bates - Average OG.

Brown - Below average RT.  May never get better but you take a big risk penciling him in as a starter next year.

Doyle - An unknown.

This to me, screams OL as #1 pick and probably a #3.  Josh needs protection and to know who his new center will be 

after Morse.  Then, a WR in the second round, is my answer.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Everyone has their ideas of what it the priority for next season.

You want a WR in the 1st round and seem pretty positive that the OL doesn't need "that much" next year.

Under contract for 2023.

Morse - Last year of his contract.  He is an injury risk always.

Dawkins - Yes, a starting LT.

Bates - Average OG.

Brown - Below average RT.  May never get better but you take a big risk penciling him in as a starter next year.

Doyle - An unknown.

This to me, screams OL as #1 pick and probably a #3.  Josh needs protection and to know who his new center will be 

after Morse.  Then, a WR in the second round, is my answer.

Just to clarify, Morse is under contract through 2024. But I agree there’s always the risk of his next concussion being a career ended. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Just to clarify, Morse is under contract through 2024. But I agree there’s always the risk of his next concussion being a career ended. 

Thank you.  My point is they have to draft a reliable backup who will become the starter in the next draft.

They have to stop this current thing of moving everyone around when Morse is out for a while.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

@ 32 the Bills absolutely have to draft Saffolds replacement.  WR in the 2nd round then RT in the 3rd round. No Sean I'm not allowing you to take 1 defensive player in the first 3 picks.

I wonder/fear Beane & staff have been scared off Drafting OL early, given Ford being a major disappointment. Imo, the OL is the most difficult position to Draft as there’s no known path for personal success after they turn Pro. For a large part, college ‘can’t miss’ OL flounder in the pros. I can’t explain why. At least signing a growing, capable one after their rookie contract expires (usually no more than 4 years) you have pro play on video and can chart growth at this level. 
We lost a great one to this method that Beane openly rues as one of his biggest gaffes. 
That we Have to have our TEs chip or even stay on the line to block every play negatively impacts their game as potential receivers. 

I’ll stop just short of agreeing with Sully that this years’ team isn’t good enough to win a Super Bowl, but imo, with major players injured throughout the season, we’re a .500 team with a true MVP who plays at QB.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thank you.  My point is they have to draft a reliable backup who will become the starter in the next draft.

They have to stop this current thing of moving everyone around when Morse is out for a while.

I think they might already have that player in Bates. Ideally, he’s our swing guard and backup center until it’s time to take over for Morse.

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think Bates is Saffolds replacement. He was better at LG. But yea we need multiple o line in the first three rounds and a minimum of two new starters (Saffold and Brown).

44 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Would an upgraded Oline be better than upgrading the  WR room?  I'm on the fence. 

I’m always in favor of improving the trenches, but man, for a team that almost alway plays 3 WRs, they only have 1 very good one.  Davis is fine as the 3rd outside receiver, but has shaky hands and disappears for stretches, but more importantly, they need a reliable slot receiver.  McKenzies is not the answer to that, Beasley likely won’t play next year and Crowder was underwhelming in the preseason and early season before being injured.

it’s a tough call to make about where to spend limited draft resources and you have to figure they will have to replace either Poyer (S), Edmunds (LB) or Oliver (DT) as resigning all 3 seems unlikely due to cap consistents.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m always in favor of improving the trenches, but man, for a team that almost alway plays 3 WRs, they only have 1 very good one.  Davis is fine as the 3rd outside receiver, but has shaky hands and disappears for stretches, but more importantly, they need a reliable slot receiver.  McKenzies is not the answer to that, Beasley likely won’t play next year and Crowder was underwhelming in the preseason and early season before being injured.

it’s a tough call to make about where to spend limited draft resources and you have to figure they will have to replace either Poyer (S), Edmunds (LB) or Oliver (DT) as resigning all 3 seems unlikely due to cap consistents.

Yeah. Everything you said makes sense to me. It's such a tough call and a big offseason to figure some of this out while not losing talent. 

3 minutes ago, mjohns85 said:

I agree they need to invest in the oline, but also need depth at other positions. It’s seems like the dline and qb are the only positions in which we have serviceable serviceable backups. 

Nothing is more important than giving Allen a much improved oline, followed by adding weapons. You do what is necessary to lengthen the career and magnify the value of an MVP qb. In any event, this is not a regime that can resist spending high ticket resources on D, but everything else is a lower priority to helping Josh Allen. It would be an absolute crime to keep asking him to carry the team as much as he is currently being asked to do.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Process said:

I think Bates is Saffolds replacement. He was better at LG. But yea we need multiple o line in the first three rounds and a minimum of two new starters (Saffold and Brown).

I think plan A is Bates as Morse's successor but plan B at G if a can't pass up center is available somewhere in the process.

15 hours ago, Einstein said:

For all the good that Beane has done - and the list is long and great on that front and we are blessed to have him - it would be wonderful if he spent significant resources this off-season on the o-line. Spencer Brown is going to get Allen crushed sooner or later (hopefully not before we find his replacement), and Saffolds best days are long gone. I also question how much longer Morse plays with all his head injuries.

And when I say invest in the o-line, I don’t mean old retreads like Saffold and castoffs like Quessenberry. 

I mean high draft picks (first two rounds) and signing top tier free agents. Guys like Terron Armstead, who has been very good for Miami this season after being a top tier free agent at the Tackle position this past offseason. What to do with Dawkins? That’s a great problem to have. And James Daniels, who has been an excellent Guard for the Steelers after signing a 3 year, 26.5M contract in the offseason. Or Austin Corbett, who is on a similar deal.

There is some serious talent due to become free agents this offseason (of course some will re-sign with their team), including Elgton Jenkins, Mike McGlinchey, Jack Conclin, and Orlando Brown. The opportunity should be there.

Go Bills.

I have said this in numerous threads and will keep saying it:  Priority #1 now that we have Allen is protecting Allen and giving him forever to do his thing. Priority #2 is giving Allen a constant supply of weapons. 

The next few drafts the first 3 rds need to be dedicated to OL/WR, in whatever combination. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Knox is still very inconsistent.

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I think they might already have that player in Bates. Ideally, he’s our swing guard and backup center until it’s time to take over for Morse.

I don't believe that's the plan.  Josh will need a true center, not a part timer who isn't trained properly in blocking calls.

Here is the big problem 

Only 9 rounds to pick from

Draft is a crap shoot at best

Can't test out all the draft picks like in previous years due to agents saying don't risk an injury.

Middle rounds are always iffy when it comes to talent

The draft after the 1st 2 rounds the talent drop off is huge.

As others have said we should could of draft the center last year and not Basham.  

But we could have Jefferson also but we have aj instead.

The problem with our drafts is were the talent lies and are picks the def coach over valves the def guy over an offensive guy. 

As others have said we got rid of teller but kept ford to long.  I think the brass player the wrong card and did not want to admit it.

Hindsite is easy for us to see know but if we did not use alot of picks this year on def with all of the injuries. We would have had mcds burger flippers playing on d.

The moral is

Our o line sucks

Our 3 next up wrs drop to many balls

Bates is hurt

Ike is hurt

josh has been hurting 

Malino is hurt and and it shows.

Big Ed is hurt

Phillips in out and hurt

Miller is out for the season

Hyde is out for the season

We are 11 and 3 and in the playoffs 

17 years of the drought 😪 and we were wishing for a playoff berth.

Know 4 years in a row with 23 starters injured during the year and the league mvp gm everyone is smarter than him

Well if bates was not hurt and Ike did not go down the line would be alot better.

Davis has not stepped up which we all thought he would.

Edited by scuba guy

8 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Are we saying that Knox has arrived?

He flashes great games then has games where the drops and concentration lapses are killers so I don't mind it if the team continues to look for competition and upgrades at that position. Knox has gotten better so I am not counting out that he will continue to develop more consistency.

He did have a good game yesterday, that makes me want to see more of that same level of play from the position - this offense needs that.

I don't believe in drafting positions in specific rounds, but if you go into a draft with positional needs you need to rate those players a bit higher - particularly if the draft is thin at that position or if there is a run on them. Beane has said that they stick with their board rankings and I tend to believe him.

I like the Gopher center, I think he would be a great fit in this offense, but not sure what round he would go in or when a team should pull the trigger, but getting a solid C/G contributor on a rookie deal would beat out trying to pay the $ needed to plug that hole via FA.

I think MItch signed a 2-year extension that is good through the 2024 season, so if he sticks around we could bring someone along slowly, or maybe on a rotation at guard and center so they could eventually start.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.