NFL Week #15 - Fish at Buffalo - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

4 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Can you explain why the Bengals are flat out more talented? Receiver absolutely yes, where else do they have more talent?

also I’m not sure you can definitively say the dolphins have the 2 best deep threats in the league. There are a lot of really talented, fast receivers out there. Certainly a nightmare having 2 of the fastest guys in the league on the same team (and maybe I’m nitpicking) but I wouldn’t say those 2 are first and second in terms of being a deep threat

They’ve also figured out how to mesh all that OLine talent they bought in the off-season and Joe Mixon is easily better than anything the Bills have.

Defensively, the Bengals have a good, but not great front 7, but an elite safety battery that’s similar to a healthy Poyer/Hyde battery, and probably better corners than the Bills. I do like the Bills DLine more (though you can’t call them elite without Von) and they are elite at LB. I’d probably give the nod to the Bengals on D because of better secondary play without good enough front 7 play

But the Bills can still win this because of Allen. 

IMO, if you rank the overall rosters Bills are probably around 5th in the AFC. 

But with Allen, you wouldn’t bet agains them making the Super Bowl

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

My post-mortem:

Full disclosure: I was livid during the 3rd quarter last night.  I turned off my phone and went into my bedroom to watch the rest of the game in solitude.  The win was a feeling of immense relief.  Now, looking back, I have these thoughts.  First - Josh is the best player in the league.  Period.  Second - we miss Hyde in a huge way.  Hamlin is a gamer but misses far too many tackles.  Third - the Bills dominated the 4th quarter.  That tells me more about the makeup of the team than the pathetic display in the 3rd.  Fourth - it is indeed possible for other teams to have talent and play well, and that doesn’t mean the Bills aren’t prepared or are poorly coached.  Fifth - the last drive of the game was championship-caliber football, including Motor’s awareness to get down so the Bills would win on the last play of the game (hint: coaching).  Have a great Sunday, guys.  The icing on the cake would be a Houston miracle against KC.

Let’s Go, Buffalo!  17 and 3, BABY!!!!!!

great point on Hyde

3 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

It was a great cliff hanger win. My very first sentence.  

It's honestly amazing how sensitive some of you people are to talking about the game.

KC or anyone else has nothing to do with this. This is about making sure the team is playing well enough and executing at a level to win the super bowl. 9-7 teams have won the super bowl because they were able to get their execution to that level for seasons end. 

Of course Allen took over as needed.  But the two key elements here were the sudden snow (weather) and a massive DPI on 3rd down that turned a 50 yard FG with 1 minute for Miami into a chip shot FG and us kneeing down the clock. 

If not for the snow and penalty,  it's very likely we lose that game. Relying on outside factors is not how you won a Super Bowl. 

It's no secret this team has not executed to their level since the bye week in October, I'm happy with wins but we also need to make sure this team is executing to a level to win the super bowl, that's the goal, no one should be buying a division champs hat this year, the goal is bigger than that. 

There should be no shame or issue in speaking to the level of execution on the team within the game. Especially if you claim to call yourself a fan. 

I’m not sensitive at all, but your focus on only the negatives is annoying. Don’t get me wrong there are definitely negatives from this game. The Waddle touchdown was a bad play by Poyer (that doesn’t get said often) and Cam Lewis is lucky he wasn’t cut during the game! 

you’re talking about execution but make no mention of how well the Bills executed on both sides of the ball once they got down 8. You say that the only reason they won was because of DPI and weather and that’s simply not true. The Bills played well in the 4th which is what good teams do, but for some odd reason you’re focused on style, not substance 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Certainly a nightmare having 2 of the fastest guys in the league on the same team (and maybe I’m nitpicking) but I wouldn’t say those 2 are first and second in terms of being a deep threat

Dolphins actually have 3 of the fastest guys in the league, Mostert is fast, really fast.

However Baltimore with Duvernay and Bateman are currently 1 and 3 in top game speed according the Next Gen Stats

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The bengals are the “alt take” flavor of the month. Everyone wants to be the smartest guy in the room by looking past the obvious. It’s not interesting enough to say the obvious best teams are the best teams. The bengals weren’t that good last year and got lucky. The raiders had them beat.  Until they beat KC this year nobody was even talking about them. It wouldn’t surprise me if they drop a game before they play us. I’m not saying they aren’t good but I think people need to pump the brakes on the brakes bengals a little.

note I’m just evaluating the roster talent. 

pretty much any mediocre roster with Josh Allen, I’m gonna call one of the very best teams in the league 

29 minutes ago, appoo said:

Some day after thoughts here

1) Tre lost at least one step, if not more. With ACLs it can take 2 years to regain full explosion. Right now the Bills have one of the worst secondaries in the league 

2) Dorsey has a really tough job. He’s got an elite QB, a good set of skills players. If Allen had a decent OLije and this team might score 80% of its drives. But he has a really bad one, and how to manage this offense is complicated as *****.  Do you limit the routes and ask these guys to run mostly short stuff or do you trust Allen to be magical and continue to run the longer developing stuff, and get him to make absurd throws on the run after his protection fails after 2 seconds if not immediately?

3) the bills have one of the best front 7s in the league that’s being hamstrung by its corner play. The Phins have a decent OLine, but the Bills can still held Tua to almost 50% (17-30), and that’s because on a bunch of plays they got some pressure on him or the Bills linebackers took away easy throws - but those outside yards were there

4) fortunately for the Bills, no one else has the unique threats that stress the corners like the Dolphins present. They’ve somehow captured the two best deep threats in the league

5) the Bengals are flat out more talented than this roster. Gonna have to be on Allen

6) forget drafting WR. The Bills need to draft/FA picking a starting RT, LG, and another corner who’s a 4.3 - 4.4 guy and convert Tre to a nickel or safety, unless he regains speed this off-season. Think he can be an elite safety, but as a corner without his normal initial burst he’s just average at best. You fix the oline and think we’re fine at WR

Dude solid post. Agree w everything. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

4. A lot of 2 deep it looked like, but I think it was a lot of Miami just owned the line on the right side.

It seemed to me like Daquon Jones had a tough game, and didn’t see much penetration from Oliver as well

Yea once again Oliver invisible 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, wjag said:

The Morning After Pill:

1. That Josh Allen TD drive, you know the one, where he toted the rock all the way, was vintage Allen.  Finishes it with a TD pass to Knox and an aerial 2pt conversion.  Wow, just wow!!!!

2. TD passes to Morris, Hines and Cook..

3. Knox was a central figure in last nights game plan.

4. Miami running with Mostert was so effective.  Trying to understand why?  Were the Bills conceding the run to "shell" Hill and Waddle.

5. Say and think what you will about Tua, but the kid played great.  This can't play in cold weather knock isn't fair.  It wasn't him on the field the last 5 minutes that sent the Dolphins home with an L.

6. Cam Lewis with two brutal plays in Bills games.  First the 4th and 18 against the Vikes and then the destroying the kicker last night.

7. Miami ran well, threw well, kicked well and still went home with an L.

8. I'm still shocked that 90% of that game was played on a snow-free field.

9. Josh had many memorable plays last night.  That throw of 21 to Davis on 3rd and 17 might be the best of the game.

10. Singletary ran when they absolutely needed to run.

11.  Allen looked so damn comfortable when it started to snow.  I can see and hear the NFL music with him standing and throwing in the snow.

The Dolphins run approach was their response to what the 49ers and Chargers did to them.  Buffalo used the same approach and stayed in nickel to try and take away Hill and Waddle.  Except for a couple of huge plays by the Dolphins, it worked.  But it left the Bills vulnerable to the run, and the Dolphins sort of stayed committed to it.  Dolphins failed to make a full commit, however, as that is not what they really want to do.  It is a game of chess, and McDaniel made some good moves that Bills perhaps did not expect.  Bills will have to further adjust.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I’m not sensitive at all, but your focus on only the negatives is annoying. Don’t get me wrong there are definitely negatives from this game. The Waddle touchdown was a bad play by Poyer (that doesn’t get said often) and Cam Lewis is lucky he wasn’t cut during the game! 

you’re talking about execution but make no mention of how well the Bills executed on both sides of the ball once they got down 8. You say that the only reason they won was because of DPI and weather and that’s simply not true. The Bills played well in the 4th which is what good teams do, but for some odd reason you’re focused on style, not substance 

That last drive was almost legendary. You gotta give the offense credit for that. And in the first half the Bills O was quite good.

Honestly this really came down to one truly horrific 3rd quarter when the Bills resembled someone like the Texans rather than the SB contending team they are

20 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

We are missing a ProBowl player in Hyde, and Tre White is not 100%. Poyer is likely less than 100% due to multiple injuries.

Yea sorry. Chargers had everyone out. Derwin James is better than anyone we got. And they still had backups that have speed and athletic ability. They shut the phins down on a tarp/dome 

36 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

It's honestly incredible people like you are so fragile to merely talk about a game. 

Great cliff hanger. Fact.

Penalty and weather the two key elements of the win.  Fact. 

Team out of sync still.  Fact.

Need to clean up stuff to win the SB. Fact.

The fact you take issue with any of that and feel the need to call it stupid does nothing other than reveal you have the emotional intelligence of a toddler. 

😂 … yes, I’m certain the coaching staff would never address these issues with the team, instead saying “take the week off boys, we’re flawless out there” … 

3 minutes ago, Casey D said:

The Dolphins run approach was their response to what the 49ers and Chargers did to them.  Buffalo used the same approach and stayed in nickel to try and take away Hill and Waddle.  Except for a couple of huge plays by the Dolphins, it worked.  But it left the Bills vulnerable to the run, and the Dolphins sort of stayed committed to it.  Dolphins failed to make a full commit, however, as that is not what they really want to do.  It is a game of chess, and McDaniel made some good moves that Bills perhaps did not expect.  Bills will have to further adjust.

I know they got out of the run when Buffalo started to bring Poyer and Hamlin down to the LOS.. Johnson, White and Elam all had huge pass defenses after that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Bills change their fronts in the red zone.

They don’t have the talent to dominate on D, so instead they invite you to run between the 20s, and then try to force you to pass for TDs in the red zone, where the linebackers make that super difficult. 

Generally when you have Allen, forcing teams into FGs is winning on D

• Like (+1) 2

Going into the game, I thought two things were locks.  Dolphins wouldn't be able to run on the Bills and we'd have big problems with Dolphins pass rush.  Of course, those were, for the most part, things that didn't happen.  It's one thing for Hill and Waddle to beat you, but Dolphins ran at will.  Until Morse went out, OLine held up really well.  After he went out, not so much.  Interior OLine was awful.  Thought Spencer Brown had pretty decent game.  If he doesn't recover Allen's fumble, game is pretty much over at that point.  If OLine is Dawkins - Saffold - Morse - Bates - Brown going into playoffs maybe we're ok.  

1 minute ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

😂 … yes, I’m certain the coaching staff would never address these issues with the team, instead saying “take the week off boys, we’re flawless out there” … 

Other than some tackling issues, the players mostly played within their expected abilities IMO

1 minute ago, st pete gogolak said:

Going into the game, I thought two things were locks.  Dolphins wouldn't be able to run on the Bills and we'd have big problems with Dolphins pass rush.  Of course, those were, for the most part, things that didn't happen.  It's one thing for Hill and Waddle to beat you, but Dolphins ran at will.  Until Morse went out, OLine held up really well.  After he went out, not so much.  Interior OLine was awful.  Thought Spencer Brown had pretty decent game.  If he doesn't recover Allen's fumble, game is pretty much over at that point.  If OLine is Dawkins - Saffold - Morse - Bates - Brown going into playoffs maybe we're ok.  

I was pleasantly surprised by Spencer Brown.

I fear Morse might retire. He should, honestly 

Just now, boyst said:

@Beck Water was that the type of stuff you'd been wanting? Passes to RBs etc?  You, sir, must be happy. 😭

We won, so I got what I'm wanting!

But Yes on the more diverse passing game.  Not just to RBs (8 targets combined), but to Knox (8 targets) and Morris, to the slots (6 targets) - spreading the ball around.  I thought it opened things up for Davis (6 targets) and for Diggs (9 targets).  We overall moved the ball better, and in the end, Everybody Ate. 

Josh threw to 9 different guys.

I would have liked to see more running game from backs not named Josh Allen, but after we were playing with 2 backup OLmen all bets were off.

You?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

That last drive was almost legendary. You gotta give the offense credit for that. And in the first half the Bills O was quite good.

Honestly this really came down to one truly horrific 3rd quarter when the Bills resembled someone like the Texans rather than the SB contending team they are

That third quarter was bad-lifeless, uninspired, whatever word you want to use for bad. I don’t remember if it was last year or the year before but it reminded me of then when it seemed like the Bills couldn’t do anything right coming out of the half. 

The reality is the Bills won 3 out of 4 quarters and made plays when they needed to…but man so they like making things interesting! If it leads to wins I’ll take it! 

4 minutes ago, Casey D said:

This. While it was frustrating watching the fins pick up chunks on the ground, it was all part of the plan to mitigate the effects of Hill and Waddle in the pass game.

On a side note, what has happened to the Bills tackling this year? Very concerning.

GO BILLS!

4 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Well after the Thursday game there was 3 days off and telling guys to be safe with whatever they are doing with their time and twitter showing some were traveling...

But besides that, this isn't a one off or recently, we are talking since October, which at this point is more than half the season. 

It's a great win, and we still got work to do... groundbreaking, isn't it? Lmao

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

I fear Morse might retire. He should, honestly 

After his 2020 concussion (his most recent one) reporters were kind of hinting at that to Morse.  Morse said something to the effect of, he was just fine, and if he got another concussion he'd be just fine, because they're doing things right. 

By which I took him to mean, he didn't fudge his baseline testing but gave it honest effort so it takes him out when he ought to come out, and won't let him in when he isn't recovered yet.

After a couple tough decades, it is such a privilege to complain about small things on an 11-3 team in position for a playoff bye. 

Play calling still frustrates me and needs to be sorted out. There are blocks of the games where we could and should have some short possession passing and we throw the ball deep. There are designed runs by Josh that would be better as one read then scramble. I wish we could be a 3rd /4th and 1 “we got this” Team. I wish we wouldn’t need Josh to be Super to win. But we aren’t trying to win behind Trent Dilfer or Jimmy G. Scary that we still have room to grow as an offense. 

Go Bills 

P. S. Thanks to all those who threw snowballs. That was awesome. And then thanks to all those who stopped throwing snowballs when they threatened us. Bills Mafia is the best. It would be a dream to host the AFC championship a year after we were 13 seconds from doing it. 

P. P. S. Dawkins standing up for Josh and not getting an offsetting flag was awesome too. Body Guard with game awareness self discipline. 

P. P. P. S. Diggs being the first guy snow sliding into Bass tells you all you need to know about a win-first teammate and the non-story with the sideline reporter. 5/60/0 while four teammates find the end zone is tough, but he is only yelling for the ball when he is open and the offense is stalling.  Guy is so committed to this team winning a Super Bowl and just wants to make sure they lean on him when they can. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Well after the Thursday game there was 3 days off and telling guys to be safe with whatever they are doing with their time and twitter showing some were traveling...

But besides that, this isn't a one off or recently, we are talking since October, which at this point is more than half the season. 

It's a great win, and we still got work to do... groundbreaking, isn't it? Lmao

Every team has “work to do” whether they’re the #1 seed or a bottom feeder. I’m pretty sure the staff will be working feverishly to address the issues, and it’s equally ok for fans to discuss them. Not being happy with our run defense and tackling, and being ecstatic with the win are not mutually exclusive. 

1 minute ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Every team has “work to do” whether they’re the #1 seed or a bottom feeder. I’m pretty sure the staff will be working feverishly to address the issues, and it’s equally ok for fans to discuss them. Not being happy with our run defense and tackling, and being ecstatic with the win are not mutually exclusive. 

And yet, there's a gaggle of fans here angry after a win 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

The bills could win the super bowl and there will be fans that are upset about it.

Some people just can't be happy.

Yep they would be pissed off that we have to keep our coordinators because we were in the playoffs too long and they couldn’t get hired, and our draft pick will be too low  

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yep they would be pissed off that we have to keep our coordinators because we were in the playoffs too long and they couldn’t get hired 

Great! now there is going to be a parade/party in buffalo for the next week and I'm gonna get stuck in traffic on my way to work!

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 1

The best part of playing and winning on Saturday is we get to watch the other teams try and hold serve.  During the SB years, the Bills always played first in the playoff games.  It was nice to not have to wait out the game and then get to watch the other teams play.

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

I think Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Boyd probably stress a defense even more than Tua, Waddle, & Hill.  Burrow is a more polished QB than Tua

They stress a defense in a different way. 

Waddle and Hill are just *****in' fast.  It's ridiculous, especially when the field is a bit slick and defenders lose a big step every time they cut.  But Tua still needs to prove he can find them consistently near the sidelines, and he does get less accurate when he's moved off his spot and made uncomfortable.

Chase, Higgins, and Boyd are excellent receivers and their passing game is *chef's kiss* designed to scheme them open and make the defenders "wrong" whatever they do.  Burrows is a tough SOB and happy to move around and can sling it, everywhere.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

I have no idea what this even means.

The media i think sometimes interprets his word salad as some kind of higher level thought process, but it's just word salad

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The Fins fans are making it sound like the refs were on them all night. 

They have to be delusional. The refs kept refusing to call PI at the end of the second half. The Bills had far more penalty yards and that is with quite a lot of chippt shots I saw Dolphins defenders deliver. 

Their quibble is about shoving a QB while he was out of bounds and then getting into a shoving match, and the most obvious hold possible 

Over at their main fansite about 90% of the posts are directed at the refs and the Bills cheating ,  have respect for Allen and his ability to make plays.  The reality is the Dolphins were holding on many run plays and refs allowed it. The pass interference on the McKenzie play was interfering and gets called every time because DB made huge contact before the ball arrived

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

For a role player, Cam Lewis has made two major blunders. One cost us a game with the 4th and 18 pass that he blew, and now add last night with the mind-numbing roughing the punter penalty that led to a Miami TD and them taking the lead in the game.

Surely we can find a player on our own, or someone else’s  practice squad that won’t make such critical errors in such limited time seeing the field.

Cut this guy. Please.

Yeah- they went out and got Marlowe- please use him- haven't seen him play in awhile but I don't remember him crapping the bed when he was here- I honestly wouldn't mind him seeing some starts- Hamlin takes the worst angles

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The snowball throwing was disappointing throughout the game. Aiming at on-field security personnel is one thing (which is stupid), but lobbing snowballs into the endzone where defensive players are lined up during a play is an entirely different, even dumber, thing. Such a bad look for Bills fans.

My seats are in 137, which is along the left/west goal-line on the Bills side, and the fans near me who were throwing snowballs were mostly younger, drunken dummies. Even from the upper rows of the lower bowl it's easy to reach the field with a well-packed snowball. While I hate policing my fellow fans, I was able to confront and stop a couple rows of boisterous youngsters from continuing to target the field. It's so dooshy to light up sideline photographers and reporters (Sal Cappaccio took a snowball to the neck/head from someone nearby) and workers who aren't able to defend themselves due to divided attention. It's even dooshier to try to affect the field of play. I don't know how it looked on the TV broadcast. 

the snowballs were seen as they hit the ground but from my vision the cameras never focused on any specific fan or section. The cameras did show snow being thrown up in the air like confetti after a score. It was mentioned that a penalty could be given to Buffalo if they didnt knock it the heck off.

Yeah well IMO being it was young an drunk fans surprises me zero. I am just glad no penalty was ever called on the Bills. That would have really sucked.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

Waddle and Hill are just *****in' fast.  It's ridiculous, especially when the field is a bit slick and defenders lose a big step every time they cut.  But Tua still needs to prove he can find them consistently near the sidelines, and he does get less accurate when he's moved off his spot and made uncomfortable.

Chase, Higgins, and Boyd are excellent receivers and their passing game is *chef's kiss* designed to scheme them open and make the defenders "wrong" whatever they do.  Burrows is a tough SOB and happy to move around.

Actually, they don't really scheme them open. I know that Bengals fans (who I'm surrounded with on a daily basis) are really angry with Zach Taylor about play calling and scheme. Chase and Higgins win A LOT of contested catches on the boundary that they have no business catching. And Burrow gets sacked A LOT holding the ball waiting for them to get downfield. Mixon is having an injury-filled down year. They are as dependent on Burrow and Chase as we are on 17 and 14. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Maybe I missed something.   How did the snow affect the outcome here?  

And have not read entire thread but pretty sure from my end that McKenzie was interfered with on that long pass attempt.  

I'm asking the same thing as I read through the thread and some of the comments. Miami played about 4 minutes of offense in the snow. Don't see how it had any negative impact on their play.

As to Lil' Dirty and the PI, it was a legit call and I'd like to think if he wasn't interfered with, he would have caught it anyway.😁. People looking for reasons why Miami lost instead of why Buffalo won.

There is always some that have to be negative in order to get the attention they need. Kind of pathetic in my opinion. 😉

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Chase, Higgins, and Boyd are excellent receivers and their passing game is *chef's kiss* designed to scheme them open and make the defenders "wrong" whatever they do.  Burrows is a tough SOB and happy to move around and can sling it, everywhere.

Bills are generally excellent in zone/man combo D, so this will be an interesting game - assuming both teams have something to play for

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.