Bills may not play another regular season game on Sunday this year

Big Turk

I feel this has probably been the wildest schedule the Bills have had in a long time in terms of playing in their normal 1pm timeslot.  

We may have played our last Sunday 1pm game of the year against the Jets last week.

We play Miami and the Bears on back to back Saturdays, then the Bengals on Monday Night.  

Patriot game is a TBD game, but seeing as it might be to determine playoff seedings and/or Patriots making the playoffs and the Bills are national media darlings, there is a relatively high probability it gets moved.

Guess this is the price of being good in the new era of games played in non-traditional timeslots more and more, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 6

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Aren’t all week 18 games on Sunday’s? Only the time is TBD because they want all the playoff implication games to be played in the same time slot.

According to this: https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2022&wk=18

There will be 2 Saturday games week 18 this year so OP may be correct.

• Like (+1) 1

For Week 18, two Saturday games and the Sunday night game will be announced no later than six days prior to January 9. The schedule does not list Saturday games or a Sunday night game in Week 18, but games with playoff implications will be moved to those time slots. Flexible scheduling ensures quality matchups in all Sunday time slots in those weeks and gives "surprise" teams a chance to play their way into primetime.

NFL.com | Official Site of the National Football League

Edited by Just Jack

2 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

According to this: https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2022&wk=18

There will be 2 Saturday games week 18 this year so OP may be correct.

interesting. For the two Saturday games figure that they will be games with playoff implications but not such that a team could win and eliminate other teams. They will be teams that need to win and get help from the Sunday games.

The league doesn’t want to eliminate teams before Sunday.

with that being the case. If the Bills still hold the one seed going into that week the league may keep the Bills on Sunday. Otherwise if the Bills win on Sunday the Chiefs and/or Bengals might not be playing for anything the following day.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

interesting. For the two Saturday games figure that they will be games with playoff implications but not such that a team could win and eliminate other teams. They will be teams that need to win and get help from the Sunday games.

The league doesn’t want to eliminate teams before Sunday.

with that being the case. If the Bills still hold the one seed going into that week the league may keep the Bills on Sunday. Otherwise if the Bills win on Sunday the Chiefs and/or Bengals might not be playing for anything the following day.

Right, it is going to be interesting how they come up with good games for the Saturday slots that also won't affect any of the teams playing on Sunday.

Seems to me that might be tough to work out as all the teams fighting for a spot, or even positioning, can affect each other.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I feel this has probably been the wildest schedule the Bills have had in a long time in terms of playing in their normal 1pm timeslot.  

We may have played our last Sunday 1pm game of the year against the Jets last week.

We play Miami and the Bears on back to back Saturdays, then the Bengals on Monday Night.  

Patriot game is a TBD game, but seeing as it might be to determine playoff seedings and/or Patriots making the playoffs and the Bills are national media darlings, there is a relatively high probability it gets moved.

Guess this is the price of being good in the new era of games played in non-traditional timeslots more and more, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Sundays at 1 is perfect.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

It's definitely possible it gets moved, but if this is for playoff seeding, it is unlikely. For example, if it is Buffalo or KC for the number one seed, the NFL wouldn't want to give Buffalo an advantage by having them play after the KC game, knowing they would either need to win if KC won or could rest their starters if KC lost. The same goes if New England is playing for the number seven seed or so. They wouldn't want to give New England an advantage.

The only way I see it getting flexed is it for New England winning and they're in, no matter what the outcomes of the earlier games that day or Saturday.

Edited by chongli

The way the schedule is lining up it seems like there might be a decent chance that Miami @ NYJ could be win and in, lose and out, for both of those teams. 

If it plays out that way I can definitely see that one being flexed into a solo slot.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

They usually like to have a win and in game on SNF.  

Any of these might get some consideration

Falcons Bucs

Jets Dolphins

Bengals Ravens 

Outside shot for Lions-Packers, Cowboys-Commanders

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I don't know why, but it fills me with a bit of anger at the number of fans that want the Bills to play most of their games at 1pm Sunday.

Do you guys not realize that Josh Allen is built for prime time? 

Do you guys also miss the top 10 draft position?

🤪

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

The way the schedule is lining up it seems like there might be a decent chance that Miami @ NYJ could be win and in, lose and out, for both of those teams. 

If it plays out that way I can definitely see that one being flexed into a solo slot.

I would actually root for the Fins here. The Jets with their defense will be the tougher opponent.

• Agree 2

The week 18 Sunday night game will almost assuredly be Ravens/Bengals to determine the AFC North champ. And that also works cause Pitt/Cle play that final day and they are both out of playoff contention so it won’t be unfair to any AFC North team to have Ravens/Bengals be the final game. 

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Didn’t realize we will get a couple extra days before the Bengals game. Gladly take that.

46 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

Don’t want to be flexed to Saturday last weekend be coming off Monday night game short week already.  Likely ends up a 4pm Sunday game

Yeah, especially with the MNF in week 17 I don’t see a Saturday time slot happening. Let’s hope it’s Sunday at 4:25 that means it’s to claim home field throughout the AFC playoffs. 

15 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yeah, especially with the MNF in week 17 I don’t see a Saturday time slot happening. Let’s hope it’s Sunday at 4:25 that means it’s to claim home field throughout the AFC playoffs. 

I'd prefer we had the top seed wrapped up before Week 18 so we can rest our starters longer. 

Edited by The Jokeman

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'd prefer we had the top seed wrapped up before Week 18 so we can rest our starters longer. 

Oh for sure, but given the remaining schedules for the teams in contention that appears unlikely. Not impossible but it would take some more good fortune for that scenario to play out. 

2 minutes ago, boco357 said:

I'm hoping but won't likely happen for 1pm game Sunday and a Keenum start and backup fest

Only 3 ways I can see that happening and two of them are bad. 

Just now, Greg S said:

What about the divisional round?

If Bills are 1 seed they’ll probably play on Saturday 

• Like (+1) 2

If they were to flex the Pats game to Saturday night, then the Bills will have played 9 primetime games this year (I'm including Thanksgiving even though it was a 12:30 pm start and Saturday games, even though the Bears game will be 1:00 pm start). And the KC game was a nationally televised game with a 4:25 pm start time...which almost made it feel like primetime because of the hype for that game between those two teams.

The Bills will have played only 7 of 17 games in the Sunday 1:00 pm time slot...and only 3 of those Sunday at 1:00 pm games at home. They will have played 8 games not on Sunday (Thur, Mon, or Sat).

And of course, only 7 home games vs. 10 on the road (with the schedule and the Cleveland game moving to Detroit due to snowmaggedon).

Who could have ever imagined a schedule like that during the drought years?

This is what you want...to be a top team in the spotlight. But 7 home games and 10 away games, 8 non-Sunday games (9 primetime games) really messes with the team's normal schedule, etc. And a lot of the teams on the schedule have been better than expected at the start of this year.

It may be a fun schedule for us fans, etc., but I'm sure it hasn't been an easy one for the team.

2 minutes ago, folz said:

If they were to flex the Pats game to Saturday night, then the Bills will have played 9 primetime games this year (I'm including Thanksgiving even though it was a 12:30 pm start and Saturday games, even though the Bears game will be 1:00 pm start). And the KC game was a nationally televised game with a 4:25 pm start time...which almost made it feel like primetime because of the hype for that game between those two teams.

The Bills will have played only 7 of 17 games in the Sunday 1:00 pm time slot...and only 3 of those Sunday at 1:00 pm games at home. They will have played 8 games not on Sunday (Thur, Mon, or Sat).

And of course, only 7 home games vs. 10 on the road (with the schedule and the Cleveland game moving to Detroit due to snowmaggedon).

Who could have ever imagined a schedule like that during the drought years?

This is what you want...to be a top team in the spotlight. But 7 home games and 10 away games, 8 non-Sunday games (9 primetime games) really messes with the team's normal schedule, etc. And a lot of the teams on the schedule have been better than expected at the start of this year.

It may be a fun schedule for us fans, etc., but I'm sure it hasn't been an easy one for the team.

Expect more of the same next year. The AFCE is really strong, and they play the NFCE next year. Lots of possibilities for some pretty good primetime games.

SI Just posted this for 2023

Home: Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Broncos, Raiders, Cowboys, Giants, AFC South TBD (Currently Titans), NFC South TBD (Currently Bucs)

Road: Chiefs, Chargers, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Eagles, AFC North TBD (Bengals or Ravens), Commanders

Chiefs, Eagles, Commanders, likely Bengals on the Road.

Someday we will get to play the Chiefs in the OP.  Suspect it will be the first game in the new stadium.

4 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

SI Just posted this for 2023

Home: Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Broncos, Raiders, Cowboys, Giants, AFC South TBD (Currently Titans), NFC South TBD (Currently Bucs)

Road: Chiefs, Chargers, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Eagles, AFC North TBD (Bengals or Ravens), Commanders

Chiefs, Eagles, Commanders, likely Bengals on the Road.

Someday we will get to play the Chiefs in the OP.  Suspect it will be the first game in the new stadium.

As for primetime games next year they have a lot of options. They could pick anyone from the division, Giants, Cowboys, Chiefs, Eagles are strong possibilities for the Bills.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.