Jerry Sullivan crosses the line. Comments against women.

Draconator

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I listened.  I thought the controversy-stirring was partly unintentional and worse than the OP presents.

Sorry.not.Sorry but it's 2022.  It's time to be over both "men are better than women" and "women are better than men".

While we're at it, can we be over "my dog's better than your dog" "my kid can beat up your honor student" and similar dreck and debris?

Im clearly not taking this guy or his idiotic comments seriously I default to humor.  Im not so upset with the sullivan guy he is clearly just a blowhole who SHOULD realize how idiotic his comments would be interpreted in todays culture. He needs be put out to pasture. Even an "I was drunk" defense isn't goin to help this guys cred. He's toast.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Cancel culture isn't real. 

Yes it is. You call it "accountability for their actions" but in reality, it is a mob of mostly uninformed people who don't have all the facts determining how to best assign punitive penalties to the offensive person that often far outweighs the offense.

While this is a clear cut case, should he never work again? Go through some therapy? Is it just unforgiveable? Does he need to show sincere remorse? It is unclear what the proper path to rehabilitation for such offenses because it is a mob of unhinged people shouting the loudest determining this and not anything orderly.

I do have to laugh though after his comments to Josh that he makes such a stupid comment. Karma.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, muppy said:

Im clearly not taking this guy or his idiotic comments seriously I default to humor.  Im not so upset with the sullivan guy he is clearly just a blowhole who SHOULD realize how idiotic his comments would be interpreted in todays culture. He needs be put out to pasture. Even an "I was drunk" defense isn't goin to help this guys cred. He's toast.

His comments are fine.  "Women like to go shopping and men like to watch football" style jokes are never leaving our culture, because men and women are different.  This kind of stuff isn't offensive, and nobody would be talking about any of this if it was anybody besides Jerry Sullivan.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

38 minutes ago, Airseven said:

I’ve always liked him. His approach was sometimes antagonistic but it seemed to create balance and well-rounded conversation in the grand scheme.

He was let go by the BN and now he sits in a basement with two knuckleheads doing some low-grade podcast.  He has no inside information on the team or the league.  

You might like his contrarian point of view, but I don't get the uproar on twitter.  Cancelling Jerry Sullivan is like cancelling nothing.  The opposite is happening, and he is getting the attention he seeks.  

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

His comments are fine.  "Women like to go shopping and men like to watch football" style jokes are never leaving our culture, because men and women are different.  This kind of stuff isn't offensive, and nobody would be talking about any of this if it was anybody besides Jerry Sullivan.

Glad to see you're still the self appointed arbiter of what is and isn't offensive to all groups of people.

Sullivan wasn't joking.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, muppy said:

Im clearly not taking this guy or his idiotic comments seriously I default to humor. 

Cool! 

Then can you explain the humor/joke in "The worst fans really are the women. They don’t get critical journalism. They’re all wannabe cheerleaders"

Help me understand what's funny.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Gisele said:

Google Tony Blevins.  Can't even crack a joke anymore without someone being offended and calling for your head.  Cancel culture is 100% real.  

I see a guy who got fired for causing bad PR for a place that he works at.  Something that has happened since jobs existed, if that's your definition of "cancel culture" then the bar sure is low. 

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

the sweeping generalities regarding women I think are inane and stupid.   Yes it IS Jerry Sullivan. Consider the source and just shake your head. Poor Poor Jerry. 

#OUTDATED

Edited by muppy

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Cool!  Then can you explain the humor/joke in "The worst fans really are the women. They don’t get critical journalism. They’re all wannabe cheerleaders"

Jerry had always been more negative journalism than critical. Criticism implies an understanding of the topic you're writing about.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Cool! 

Then can you explain the humor/joke in "The worst fans really are the women. They don’t get critical journalism. They’re all wannabe cheerleaders"

Help me understand what's funny.

the ridiculousness of taking his comments seriously?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Glad to see you're still the self appointed arbiter of what is and isn't offensive to all groups of people.

Sullivan wasn't joking.

I don't think anyone anywhere actually finds his comments offensive.  They just don't like Jerry Sullivan and they see this as an opportunity to drag the guy.

Which is fine, up to a point.  I haven't had any reason to think about Jerry Sullivan in years, and his schtick had gotten extremely stale by the time he disappeared to wherever he is now.  Feel free to dislike the guy all you want.  But I'm not buying the idea that you're actually bothered by the substance of his commentary on men and women.

41 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I, for one, appreciate Jerry’s comment.  I’m a real man who sits in an armchair and sips dark liquor as I consume objectivist critical football journalism.  

Meanwhile women “fans” simply hoot and holler.  I suspect that their non critical interest in the team (do they even read journalism?) is fraudulent and that their ulterior motive is finding a mate amongst the players.

I always thought it was a good thing to have a girlfriend/wife that liked to watch football and attend games but that view has changed over time.  When I pointed out the offense failed to gain a single first down in their last three drives of the 4th quarter, any of which would have helped finish out the game, the wife concluded I was being too critical and insisted the Bills offense played a "great" game against the Jets on Sunday. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I have to admit back in the way back day, I defended Jerry as a voice crying out in the drought wilderness holding the Bills’ FO feet to the fire during their annual “heroic marches” to 7-9 records, and the bill of goods being sold to the fans along the way—he wasn’t wrong then, but now as an old dog he’s having trouble learning new tricks where the Bills actually have competent leadership and a franchise QB…he just can’t bear to throw out the script and start from scratch I guess. Now add in some cringe-inducing social commentary reminiscent of the know your role 50’s, and this is a craptastic way to cap off the week for him 🙈

Closet Patriots fan if there ever was one.

10 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I thought Nick Wright was a national clown?  He just has outrageous hot takes that get clicks cause people are suckers for it.

Yeah he has videos comparing Allen to Davis Mills and saying they are the same.

I also believe he said Tua is the best QB in the AFC East LAST YEAR.

At that point you are just trolling people to click and tell you how you are wrong.

21 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I don't think anyone anywhere actually finds his comments offensive.  They just don't like Jerry Sullivan and they see this as an opportunity to drag the guy.

Which is fine, up to a point.  I haven't had any reason to think about Jerry Sullivan in years, and his schtick had gotten extremely stale by the time he disappeared to wherever he is now.  Feel free to dislike the guy all you want.  But I'm not buying the idea that you're actually bothered by the substance of his commentary on men and women.

I think some women found it offensive.  I believe this because they said it offends them.  I think some women might be offended by the statement "Women be better than this because the worst fans really are women.  They don't get critical journalism.  They're all wannabe cheerleaders."  I do not get the impression the aggrieved found this to be the greatest offense of all time but thats largely irrelevant.  There is no question about Jerry's intent.  It wasn't a joke that didn't land.  

I do not understand your rush to defend all manner of idiots who insist on sticking their feet in their mouth.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Is Jerry married?

He sounds like a bitter middle-aged man who never got enough attention from the opposite sex and now has reverted to elementary school-style negging on girls.

Season 3 Bart GIF by The Simpsons

I’m pretty sure he is , from things he has said on the radio in the past. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.