TNF- Raiders @ Rams

T&C

25 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Stefanski and mcvay are both shanahan guys

Stefanski is a Kubiak guy who is a Shanahan guy to be totally accurate. I don't think Stefanski has ever worked directly with Shanny. But yea, your point that there will be a LOT of offensive carry over between the two is spot on. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Just thought it was a musing that Mayfield is wearing Josh Allen’s number

If that's not a 'Freudian typo', I don't know what is...🤔😁

8 hours ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

I might be reading into this too much, he wore 6 college and pros, 11 in high school. 🤷🏼‍♂️

#1 pick in 2018 Draft.

20181🟰2017?

🤔
Aside from that, I got nuthin'.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

How in the heck can a guy run an offense after only being in the building for three days? How could he know the terminology of the plays in his wristband?

And McDermit wanted to wait weeks to work Hines into the lineup for a few passing plays.   Makes no sense.   McCaffrey having a field day immediately in SF, Baker pulls out a comeback win 3 days after signing with a team.

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Stefanski and mcvay are both shanahan guys

When was Stefanski a Shanahan guy? 

Thought he spent his (coaching) life with the Vikes* until the Browns hired him. 

*which is actually pretty impressive considering he stuck on the staff through 3 different HCs

Edited by Beck Water

Just another lesson for the rest of the NFL.  We've seen the Saints and Raiders pull a defeat from the jaws of victory this week.  Every play MATTERS, especially in the final quarter when possessions flip quickly.  Every penalty matters.  

10 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

As @GunnerBill explained, he's a Kubiak guy who's a shanahan guy

That brings me to the question "how much did Stefanski actually take from Kubiak?"

Far as I know, Kubiak went to the Vikes in 2019

Stefanski left the Vikes to take on the HC gig with the Browns in 2020

So they overlapped 1 year, during which Stefanski was promoted from QB coach to OC and Kubiak was "assistant to the HC" or some such

I would think Stefanski installed the offense he was already working with; it's not like Stefanski was a Kubiak disciple

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Stefanski is a Kubiak guy who is a Shanahan guy to be totally accurate. I don't think Stefanski has ever worked directly with Shanny. But yea, your point that there will be a LOT of offensive carry over between the two is spot on. 

What makes Stefanski a "Kubiak guy"?

As far as I can tell, Stefanski and Kubiak worked together for 1 year.  Stefanski was newly promoted from QB coach to OC. 

Kubiak was brought in as "assistant to the KC and offensive advisor"

Stefanski left the next season

It would kind of be like calling Ken Dorsey a "Joe Brady guy" because they've worked together on offense this year.  I'm sure Brady has input, but I'm also sure the terminology and structure of the offense are from Dorsey.

Edited by Beck Water

21 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That brings me to the question "how much did Stefanski actually take from Kubiak?"

Far as I know, Kubiak went to the Vikes in 2019

Stefanski left the Vikes to take on the HC gig with the Browns in 2020

So they overlapped 1 year, during which Stefanski was promoted from QB coach to OC and Kubiak was "assistant to the HC" or some such

I would think Stefanski installed the offense he was already working with; it's not like Stefanski was a Kubiak disciple

What makes Stefanski a "Kubiak guy"?

As far as I can tell, Stefanski and Kubiak worked together for 1 year.  Stefanski was newly promoted from QB coach to OC. 

Kubiak was brought in as "assistant to the KC and offensive advisor"

Stefanski left the next season

It would kind of be like calling Ken Dorsey a "Joe Brady guy" because they've worked together on offense this year.  I'm sure Brady has input, but I'm also sure the terminology and structure of the offense are from Dorsey.

I take the point, they didn't cross over much but it is that same stretch zone version of the WCO that Stefanski runs. If you look at the other guys Stefanski worked with in Minnesota none of them really run that style of offense. And to me the way Stefanski runs it - with more QB pistol formation - is very reminiscent of Kubiak. I see big Kubiak finger prints on what the Browns do. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I take the point, they didn't cross over much but it is that same stretch zone version of the WCO that Stefanski runs. If you look at the other guys Stefanski worked with in Minnesota none of them really run that style of offense. And to me the way Stefanski runs it - with more QB pistol formation - is very reminiscent of Kubiak. I see big Kubiak finger prints on what the Browns do.

Fair enough.

Regardless, I think yesterday showed that Boy Genius (McVay) really is a solid, solid coach.  He must have been able to quickly pull out of Mayfield what concepts he's most comfortable with, mapped them onto plays the Rams already had installed, and built a game plan around them.

Then Baker held up his end by doing whatever he had to do to memorize the verbiage.

I did appreciate Baker's reaction to Fitz asking him what's up with the #17 and teasing him "it looks good on you".  He didn't like that At All.

Additionally, this shows that Baker plays very well in an unscripted, fly by the seat of your pants offense. His dismal failure has resulted from trying to conform and play in within the confines of a formal offense. He just doesn't do that well. Kinda like JP Losman-ish.

Now the real test will be to see if McVay can build an offense where the QB is basically unscripted. Just running around and making plays, like he did last night.

Josh as an example, does both well. Baker seems to be the guy who can only do the off-schedule stuff. Good luck to him. He was fun to watch last night.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Additionally, this shows that Baker plays very well in an unscripted, fly by the seat of your pants offense. His dismal failure has resulted from trying to conform and play in within the confines of a formal offense. He just doesn't do that well. Kinda like JP Losman-ish.

Now the real test will be to see if McVay can build an offense where the QB is basically unscripted. Just running around and making plays, like he did last night.

Josh as an example, does both well. Baker seems to be the guy who can only do the off-schedule stuff. Good luck to him. He was fun to watch last night.

McVay is a great coach, would be surprised if Baker doesn't make something of himself there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

OMG for the Raiders with the penalties

OMG for the Raiders with giving up those two catches

OMG for Amazon for getting an exciting finish

Way to pull a good game Rabbit out of a crap game Hat

the game was so bad I wonder how many clicked off before it actually ended. Only to wake up and see the final score. It was an ugly game with an incredible finish. 

da raidahs should be embarrassed today. QB with 2 days on the opposing  team and THAT happens lol

You can't make this stuff up

Edited by muppy

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

I still can't believe that game actually happened.  The Raiders looked like they were going to blow the Rams out of the building in the first half.  This went from being a boring, kind-of-sad game for 55 minutes to being one of the crazier results I've seen in a while. 

That Carr INT was the biggest play in the game. That doesn't happen then the Raiders win.

1 hour ago, Lost said:

And McDermit wanted to wait weeks to work Hines into the lineup for a few passing plays.   Makes no sense.   McCaffrey having a field day immediately in SF, Baker pulls out a comeback win 3 days after signing with a team.

Makes plenty of sense. He wasn't brought here to take over the RB duties. I mean he replaced our 3rd string RB. Geez.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I still can't believe that game actually happened.  The Raiders looked like they were going to blow the Rams out of the building in the first half.  This went from being a boring, kind-of-sad game for 55 minutes to being one of the crazier results I've seen in a while. 

I'm no Baker fan or hater but you can't deny that was a compelling story/finish last night.  Just a fun all around ending to watch.....Unless you were the Raiders and their fainty playoff hopes.  Ouch.

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Skip heading to work today with a hard on.

Can't wait to hear how many Allen comparisons he has.

I really hope you don’t listen to skip. That weirdo making the amount of money for what he is does is why other countries hate us. 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Baker still sucks but you have to give him credit for the come back under remarkable conditions. I think he's a great backup QB. Problem is Baker thinks he's a starter.

Agree. Obviously, McVey is about as good of coach for him but he is still severely limited. But good moment for him. Raiders suck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’ve seen most of these Thursday night games on Prime. I thought they were weak due to Al Michaels being long in the tooth, but last night I realized it’s Herbstreit, no chemistry with Michaels, no personality what-so-ever zzzzzzz.

19 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Plus, he looks like that other smarmy bastard, Maury Povich! 🤨

Maury >>> skipGIF by moodman

35 minutes ago, Nester said:

Raiders fire anyone yet? Defense Cord being openly mocked by baker and fitz after the game was something else. 

I mean they gave up 17 points. You should win 90% of the time when you give up 17 & under. 

41 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I turned the game off at the end of the 3rd and apparently that was a big mistake. 

It was so boring for 3 quarters and I got forced to watch devil in Ohio (awful show). Turned it back on for the end and it was a great finish.

Josh Dubow
@JoshDubowAP

#Raiders are 0-4 this season when leading by double digits at halftime. They are first team since at least 1930 to lose 4 times in a season when leading by double digits at the half #fantastic
11:20 PM · Dec 8, 2022

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.