The Josh Allen Performance Thread

KeLLy1278

6 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I knew Allen was not out of his funk. We will find out how mature he is and see whether or not he can stop the regression. However, I expect it will not be in time for the #1 to still be in play.

Let’s trade him Geno bunch of picks to the saints and we just rebuild this thing what do ya say? 

19 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

So you were satisfied with Allen’s play today?  Yes or no question.

Yes, I was more than satisfied. He led our offense to 30 points, which really should have been 33 if our head coach didn't throw up on himself in an easy FG situation. I am frustrated with the decision on the last pass but he also single handedly got us into that position to begin with. The read told him we have a post route into quarters coverage which is exactly what he wanted to see, but Davis wasn't on the same page and Peterson made a great read on the play. Allen repeatedly overcame a series of bad play calls and poor pass protection and dragged our offense up and down the field for most of the day. A poor decision on the last pass of the game doesn't negate all that.

Just todays performance or are we talking career to date?

I’ll tell you this, Josh is in a funk right now and he needs Dorsey and McDermott to point out that taking the easy throw is sometimes the best decision.

Tom Brady made a Hall of Fame career out of it.

He doesn’t need to make an eye popping play every time he drops back. I get that he’s feeling pressure to carry the team but he just has to play a little smarter and we’ll be fine.

The question is, do Dorsey and McDermott have what it takes to firmly point this out to Josh and be honest with him that he is hurting the team at times?

I hope so. Josh is an animal. Sometimes animals need to be corralled.

Edited by Beast

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yes, I was more than satisfied. He led our offense to 30 points, which really should have been 33 if our head coach didn't throw up on himself in an easy FG situation. I am frustrated with the decision on the last pass but he also single handedly got us into that position to begin with. The read told him we have a post route into quarters coverage which is exactly what he wanted to see, but Davis wasn't on the same page and Peterson made a great read on the play. Allen repeatedly overcame a series of bad play calls and poor pass protection and dragged our offense up and down the field for most of the day. A poor decision on the last pass of the game doesn't negate all that.

Did you forget the fumble where all he needed to do was hold on to end the game?

2 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Highly overrated by this fanbase,. I'd take Tua over him, at least he doesnt turn the ball over.

Bad weather games are coming...

2 hours ago, KeLLy1278 said:

Erratic throws especially in big spots.  I’m not sure if he was concussed recently but he is make extremely poor decisions.  The pick to lose the game vS the Vikes was a poor decision and a piss poor throw well behind the intended receiver.  

At this point.. he could be the best and the worst QB in football from one drive to the next and that’s not a recipe for winning big games.  The concentration just isn’t there.

If he is injured then taking a week off is not outrageous.

This is where good coaches and a quality sports psychologist come in. All the NFL teams have these people on retainer. Josh is going through a crisis of confidence. We have leaned on this kid to make up for a lot of shortcomings on this roster. It’s time to give Josh the support he needs or our lofty goals will be unrealistic.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Plus the dreadful fumble which gifted them the touchdown. I think there can be some sympathy on the 4th and down touchdown but it was a stupid playcall to start with and, if it was Josh's call not to kick the field goal, then McDermott should have pulled rank on him.

Outside of those three plays he played his best game since the bye. But those three plays cost us, even though I agree we wouldn't even have been in it without him.

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Big Allen fan here. My eyes saw something different. I saw an Allen who didn't look elite passing the ball. Maybe it's due to his injury? He just isn't making sound decisions and seeing the whole field. His accuracy was off as well. He looked great running the ball and extending plays on the run. Elite QBs don't throw game ending INTs or fumble the game away. They finish the game by winning it. Allen is playing poorly and in his own words played like shi# last week. It's not all on him as the run game disappears in the 2nd half and everything on his shoulders. The coaches have cost the Bills a couple of games too. Injuries are the biggest factor to the Bills disappointing season. Allen's play the last 2.5 games is a close second. 

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Plus the dreadful fumble which gifted them the touchdown.

8 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Did you forget the fumble where all he needed to do was hold on to end the game?

I'm still not entirely sure what happened there. Was it a bad snap from Morse? It was just a bizarre flukey play, I don't think Allen made a specific mistake. If he did just fumble the snap that is very frustrating but I don't know how to factor that play into the context of his overall play.

I think the only really bad play from Allen today was the last one. Unfortunately that's the play that will define the game, that's how it always works. But I come away from this game encouraged that Allen learned from his mistakes against the Jets and is working his way out of a slump.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I'm still not entirely sure what happened there. Was it a bad snap from Morse? It was just a bizarre flukey play, I don't think Allen made a specific mistake. If he did just fumble the snap that is very frustrating but I don't know how to factor that play into the context of his overall play.

I think the only really bad play from Allen today was the last one. Unfortunately that's the play that will define the game, that's how it always works. But I come away from this game encouraged that Allen learned from his mistakes against the Jets and is working his way out of a slump.

He made exactly the same mistake today as he did against the Jets? Though I agree, overall his play was far better today than last week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I’m almost positive Allen tried to push forward before securing the ball. Almost positive being the key words.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Honestly, the worst thing today was the botched handoff.

You simply can't disrespect the defense in a situation like.  They just made a goalline stand for the ages, and you just need to complete 2 clean snaps to get the W.  Even if they tackled him in the EZ, it still would have been tough for the Vikes to drive into FG range.

I was really pulling my hair out.  He's not thinking.

One the sneak fumble I was thinking fake handoff to the back, Allen rolls right, TE sneaks out of the blocking formation into the right flat.  Allen either makes a short toss to Knox for a short gain or runs a couple yards and slides.  2 plays later, game over.  Dorsey dialed up what everybody knew was coming.  Looking at the stacked defense ready to sell out totally on the QB sneak I was thinking safety for sure before the snap but surprise, fumbled snap and Vikings TD.  Josh's mistakes were costly, but I wasn't happy with the play calling most of the game and the 4th and 2.  Kick the FG there.  There's a difference between being aggressive and foolish and reckless.  The offense needs a mental reset and the defense needs Poyer and White back in the secondary. 

I think they'll get it all back together but the problem here is now they're chasing Home Field Advantage instead of holding onto it.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

This is where good coaches and a quality sports psychologist come in. All the NFL teams have these people on retainer. Josh is going through a crisis of confidence. We have leaned on this kid to make up for a lot of shortcomings on this roster. It’s time to give Josh the support he needs or our lofty goals will be unrealistic.

You can tell that he takes a lot of pride in his play.  He takes these games extremely hard but it is a result oriented business.  Like I said.. he is the Bills best runner and passer.  Any broken play?  It’s Josh to the rescue with his legs.  If he finds a way to settle himself down in big spots he should be fine.  Easier said than done though.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Allen wasn't bad today. He just made a couple big mistakes in critical moments. The offense is literally all on his shoulders, like no other top offense in the league. We take some of those ridiculous plays where he gets out of trouble in the pocket for granted. And then everyone wants to hang him because of a bad throw at the end. Some of hid throws and runs today were eye popping. It sucks that he had a brain fart right at the end but it doesn't erase everything else he did up to that point.

My biggest concern with the offense right now is NOT Allen, not even close. I'm concerned that we never find easy yards. It feels like every TD drive involves Allen escaping 3 sacks and trucking a LB or Diggs making a ridiculous one handed catch. That kind of high variance offense just isn't sustainable. We need to get Cook and Hines involved. Singletary is a nice player, would make a good #2 and a great #3 in a rotation heavy backfield, but his limits to this offense are obvious, and he has a fumble problem on top of his limitations. You can live with turnovers from elite players. For JAGs the leash is short. I can't remember which drive it was where we threw a swing pass to Singletary on 1st and 10 and it predictably went nowhere. Didn't we draft Cook and trade for Hines to make those plays?

Dorsey has to find a way to make it easier for everyone on the field. The great coaches don't constantly rely on their players to make heroic plays, they occasionally chip in with a heroic play call. That's totally missing from our offense right now.

fix 3rd and short and get Allen to reign in his bad end zone decisions and I would cure a lot on the offense.   the only other thing would be getting him to break out of having tunnel vision lately.

11 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

So you know about his concentration level. 

please - tell us more 

A quarterback that has thrown 4 red zone INTS in the last two games and fumbled away a snap on his own goal line that was recovered by the defense for a gimme touchdown is not anyone’s idea of focused.  If you feel that this is good concentration then you should be satisfied with two red zone picks per game from Josh Allen.  Are you?

4 hours ago, realtruelove said:

On the the drive when they could have gone up by 13, Josh threw the ball into the dirt on first down.  Zero situational awareness.  That stopped the clock.  Something is not right with Josh's decision making in these crucial situations.

Since when is there dirt at Highmark?

6 hours ago, chef4131 said:

The Offense relies too much on him.  

That and the fact that this Oline is trash. Josh has played like crap even on multiple completions that were not well thrown but the receivers made big adjustments. He has to make every play for the offense to score. No run game. No real time to throw. This Oline is a big problem 

3 hours ago, KeLLy1278 said:

A quarterback that has thrown 4 red zone INTS in the last two games and fumbled away a snap on his own goal line that was recovered by the defense for a gimme touchdown is not anyone’s idea of focused.  If you feel that this is good concentration then you should be satisfied with two red zone picks per game from Josh Allen.  Are you?

Yeah, I’m tremendously satisfied.

So all poor throws are attributed to lack of concentration? 

Not so sure. You oversimplify. 

Allen is what he is you love the highs these are the lows.

The botch QB sneak snap is just bad luck and also a concern for any team snapping from the .25 yard line it didnt on its own lose the game for us so i dont think its worth over analyzing. 

Plenty of other ***** to harp on like full abandonment of running game in 2nd half thanks ken dorsey. Dumb plays on 4th and 22, giving us tons of third and long all day.. singletary fumble, allen red zone ints (see next), mcd dumb decision on 4th and 2 up 10 take the points any day i see no valid justification not to.

This was a full team loss today IMO.

Edited by BillsFan692

8 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Yeah, I’m tremendously satisfied.

So all poor throws are attributed to lack of concentration? 

Not so sure. You oversimplify. 

Two red zone turnover attributed to the QB every game is fine to you?  Ok.

All poor throws are not attributed to concentration.  A QB can struggle with accuracy but if he is throwing the ball as if dbs are his intended receivers, it’s a mental thing.  It’s either that or the guy needs his vision checked because he can’t see defenders that are directly in front of him sometimes.

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Lots of people defending Allen on here, but no one defending McDermott. 

I’ve seen people call for McD’s head on here plenty of times.  Allen is a concern because he is having some mental lapses, especially in the red zone.  Tough to win that way.

Can we stop with the phantom concussion statements?

He had 400 yards of total offense again.

Yes he’s out there seeing double with migraines and didn’t tell anyone.

It’s just ridiculous. 

On 11/13/2022 at 8:21 PM, KeLLy1278 said:

You can tell that he takes a lot of pride in his play.  He takes these games extremely hard but it is a result oriented business.  Like I said.. he is the Bills best runner and passer.  Any broken play?  It’s Josh to the rescue with his legs.  If he finds a way to settle himself down in big spots he should be fine.  Easier said than done though.

According to Schopp he should carry the ball even more in the Red Zone. 

Why even run one time? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.