The Josh Allen Performance Thread

KeLLy1278

One thing I'm having a hard time reconciling is why the Bills offense went from so dynamic to so one dimensional so quickly. First half of the season there were WR screens and TE screens and back shoulder throws and long balls and corner of the endzone balls a d McKenzie was involved and Gilliam was involved and Shakir was starting to get involved. Then all of a sudden, bam, it's back to Josh scrambling under pressure and Josh rolling out to the right being the Bills biggest plays. Same as his rookie year. People are going to say it's Allen regressing as a player but it really seems like the offensive game planning has regressed to when he was a rookie. It's like there are no designed plays anymore. Just roll out to the right and wave your hand at somebody and wait till they get open

Edited by pigpen65
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What do you base that on, other than nothing?

To be fair, they aren't even engaged right? I mean, lots of Women are known to at least want a ring on it. Especially when they have been together as long as they have. I could see how it could actually be a thing is all I'm saying. But not necessarily a big thing.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

One thing I'm having a hard time reconciling is why the Bills offense went from so dynamic to so one dimensional so quickly. First half of the season there were WR screens and TE screens and back shoulder throws and long balls and corner of the endzone balls a d McKenzie was involved and Gilliam was involved and Shakir was starting to get involved. Then all of a sudden, bam, it's back to Josh scrambling under pressure and Josh rolling out to the right being the Bills biggest plays. Same as his rookie year. People are going to say it's Allen regressing as a player but it really seems like the offensive game planning has regressed to when he was a rookie. It's like there are no designed plays anymore. Just roll out to the right and wave your hand at somebody and wait till they get open

Both McD and Josh should have some tough questions thrown their way in the post game.  

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Brittany wants a ring, but Allen wants to wait to win the Superbowl. It's all McDermott's fault for not being able to put this to rest last postseason.

This is somehow McD’s fault??  Say what? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

start taking check downs again and stop playing hero ball it gets him in hot water and he doesn’t have to do it!

That has me thinking. Now that we have Hines we need to be running 21 personnel or 12 personnel. Whichever one has the two RB sets. Give Allen multiple check down options on every play. Heck even go two RB's jumbo package with an extra tackle. Limit his natural desire to make a big play until he starts taking the check down again.

2 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

This is somehow McD’s fault??  Say what? 

Reference to the 13 seconds last postseason and assumed Bills lombardi trophy. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That has me thinking. Now that we have Hines we need to be running 21 personnel or 12 personnel. Whichever one has the two RB sets. Give Allen multiple check down options on every play. Heck even go two RB's jumbo package with an extra tackle. Limit his natural desire to make a big play until he starts taking the check down again.

Reference to the 13 seconds last postseason and assumed Bills lombardi trophy. 

Someone was referring to settling things with Allen and his girlfriend as a distraction and blamed McDermott.  Maybe I misunderstood.

20 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

ROFLMAO! Your kidding right? 

Yeah no one is talking about replacing Josh.. but he needs to get it together or this will be another lost season.  His style of play won’t last long.. might as well win a damn Super Bowl.  Not to be king of the obvious here but that’s how I see it.  How long can Allen keep taking hits when he runs for first downs?  

Josh Allen and Ken Dorsey are, far too often, the “MORE” meme. 

They get a couple big plays and then think kill shot.  

Routes are designed further up field and Allen locks in deep. 

Teams literally have times where the don’t even defend the flat/shallow routes.  They know he won’t throw it when he’s in that mindset. 

Allen wasn't bad today. He just made a couple big mistakes in critical moments. The offense is literally all on his shoulders, like no other top offense in the league. We take some of those ridiculous plays where he gets out of trouble in the pocket for granted. And then everyone wants to hang him because of a bad throw at the end. Some of hid throws and runs today were eye popping. It sucks that he had a brain fart right at the end but it doesn't erase everything else he did up to that point.

My biggest concern with the offense right now is NOT Allen, not even close. I'm concerned that we never find easy yards. It feels like every TD drive involves Allen escaping 3 sacks and trucking a LB or Diggs making a ridiculous one handed catch. That kind of high variance offense just isn't sustainable. We need to get Cook and Hines involved. Singletary is a nice player, would make a good #2 and a great #3 in a rotation heavy backfield, but his limits to this offense are obvious, and he has a fumble problem on top of his limitations. You can live with turnovers from elite players. For JAGs the leash is short. I can't remember which drive it was where we threw a swing pass to Singletary on 1st and 10 and it predictably went nowhere. Didn't we draft Cook and trade for Hines to make those plays?

Dorsey has to find a way to make it easier for everyone on the field. The great coaches don't constantly rely on their players to make heroic plays, they occasionally chip in with a heroic play call. That's totally missing from our offense right now.

• Like (+1) 1

oh great - just what we need - a 7th Josh Allen thread.  Josh played heroic yet did inevitably lose you the game.  Grated he wasn't the CB (lewis anyone) going for an INT on 4th and 18 instead of knocking the fkn ball down.

Currently Josh is trying to do too much.  With no running game he's putting it all on his shoulders. Once he starts taking the check down more (which was open all game vs the Jets nd probably was today - have to watch the film) he'll be fine and the int's will go away.  speaking of checkdowns, where is Hines in this offense??

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Allen wasn't bad today. He just made a couple big mistakes in critical moments. The offense is literally all on his shoulders, like no other top offense in the league. We take some of those ridiculous plays where he gets out of trouble in the pocket for granted. And then everyone wants to hang him because of a bad throw at the end. Some of hid throws and runs today were eye popping. It sucks that he had a brain fart right at the end but it doesn't erase everything else he did up to that point.

Nobody in any sport will care about what you did in a game if you make terrible mistakes in big spots.  
That sort of thing is good for stat junkies, that’s about it.  Next thing you know we will be talking about how many yards Allen threw in garbage time.

Honestly, the worst thing today was the botched handoff.

You simply can't disrespect the defense in a situation like.  They just made a goalline stand for the ages, and you just need to complete 2 clean snaps to get the W.  Even if they tackled him in the EZ, it still would have been tough for the Vikes to drive into FG range.

I was really pulling my hair out.  He's not thinking.

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Honestly, the worst thing today was the botched handoff.

You simply can't disrespect the defense in a situation like.  They just made a goalline stand for the ages, and you just need to complete 2 clean snaps to get the W.  Even if they tackled him in the EZ, it still would have been tough for the Vikes to drive into FG range.

I was really pulling my hair out.  He's not thinking.

Fans have a tendency to be prisoners of the moment, myself included.  Josh has a lot to prove as does the coaching staff.  I saw the replay of that last throw and I have no idea what he was doing.  It’s as if he just threw it to throw it without a care in the world.  Extremely underthrown and behind the receiver.  I don’t think Josh has an explanation either.  That’s all.  

10 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

Nobody in any sport will care about what you did in a game if you make terrible mistakes in big spots.  

Get out of here with this crap. If Knox had caught the ball that hit his hands in the endzone, the narrative would be that despite some struggles Allen was the hero of the game, just like it was after the win against KC. This is a Bills forum, not a panel of talking heads. When we talk about Allen's performance we should look at the whole thing, not just the final play. This was NOT the Jets game or the 4th quarter of the Packers game where Allen actually played poorly. In this game he mostly played very well and made his usual number of impossible plays to bail the offense out of bad spots. If you want to blame him for the loss, go for it, but also accept that he was and always is the only reason we're in the game to begin with.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Get out of here with this crap. If Knox had caught the ball that hit his hands in the endzone, the narrative would be that despite some struggles Allen was the hero of the game, just like it was after the win against KC. This is a Bills forum, not a panel of talking heads. When we talk about Allen's performance we should look at the whole thing, not just the final play. This was NOT the Jets game or the 4th quarter of the Packers game where Allen actually played poorly. In this game he mostly played very well and made his usual number of impossible plays to bail the offense out of bad spots. If you want to blame him for the loss, go for it, but also accept that he was and always is the only reason we're in the game to begin with.

Save the supercilious tone for your kids Happy.  You don’t get to tell people “what kind of forum” this is, or how to root for a team.  I saw the entire game.  Josh made some great plays.. he also made plays that make you question if he should be in concussion protocol.  If you don’t like it that’s too bad.  Take your frustration out on him not fellow fans.  

The silver lining is that this wasn’t a playoff game.  

24 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Currently Josh is trying to do too much.  With no running game he's putting it all on his shoulders. Once he starts taking the check down more (which was open all game vs the Jets and probably was today - have to watch the film) he'll be fine and the int's will go away.  speaking of checkdowns, where is Hines in this offense??

But our offense can't just be check downs. We have to force the issue a bit because of how bad we are at scoring TDs in the red zone. Our offense by and large does not have issues moving the ball, but the last few games it's had issues punching it in.

1 hour ago, pigpen65 said:

To be fair in the second half two screens were called, one to Knox, both for whatever were blown and Josh threw them away which was the right decision. 

21 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

That sort of thing is good for stat junkies, that’s about it.  Next thing you know we will be talking about how many yards Allen threw in garbage time.

You really think Case Keenum wins this game or even gets them a lead? 

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So you were satisfied with Allen’s play today?  Yes or no question.

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You really think Case Keenum wins this game or even gets them a lead? 

Pointless to entertain this.  Why try?

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

Theres a lot of blame to go around. Things aren’t going our way at the moment. We are shooting ourselves in the foot and opposing teams are making miracle (literally) plays vs us. We are in a funk. We need to play a FULL 60 minutes of football. We haven’t done that since week 6

This sums up how I feel. Absolute freak plays happen to the Bills seemingly every loss. The 3rd and 20 Tua pass, The multiple JJ insane catches, the bobbled snap that lead to a TD, etc. And the horrible play calling in crucial moments like not taking the 3 points and guess how much we lost by ? I’m just not a fan of Dorsey. I think Allen makes him look competent. Coaching is terrible in general. They need to drill it into Allen’s skull to throw the the higher percentage underneath passes. Again & again we see Allen throwing these insanely dumb red zone picks. Why have the coaches not addressed this? 

It hurts because this team has soooo much potential and I don’t want to see it get flushed down the toilet. You’re right. They shoot themselves in the foot constantly. We have turned into the Baltimore Ravens. This loss hurt. It really did. I know it’s just a game, but damn I was born a Bills fan. It’s in my blood. I hope they get it together. The seasons not over, but if they keep playing like this then we might not even make the playoffs.

1 hour ago, KeLLy1278 said:

Erratic throws especially in big spots.  I’m not sure if he was concussed recently but he is make extremely poor decisions.  The pick to lose the game vS the Vikes was a poor decision and a piss poor throw well behind the intended receiver.  

At this point.. he could be the best and the worst QB in football from one drive to the next and that’s not a recipe for winning big games.  The concentration just isn’t there.

If he is injured then taking a week off is not outrageous.

Except that you have ZERO clue about his concentration level.

None

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.