Adding a RB

Stokes84

Just now, FireChans said:

This makes no sense. If we can’t upgrade the IOL then it’s not like we have a better option.

I’d rather have a furnace than nothing lol

You don’t have nothing.  You have all of your draft picks-  you know, the building blocks of a team-  the assets needed sustain greatness when you’re paying a qb 43M+ and have several massive free agents coming up?  

Do you really think we need a better backup for Singletary in order to win the SB?  I don’t.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

“The Bills should just sign good players at other positions!!!!”

”I didn’t know I had to do homework!!!!”

Unserious poster.

I’d rather have a furnace than nothing-  seriously educated poster.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This makes no sense. If we can’t upgrade the IOL then it’s not like we have a better option.

I’d rather have a furnace than nothing lol

We have a furnace.  But you running back enthusiasts want a new one because its cold in the house.  Meanwhile all theres a Saffold and Bates sized hole in the roof.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

You don’t have nothing.  You have all of your draft picks-  you know, the building blocks of a team-  the assets needed sustain greatness when you’re paying a qb 43M+ and have several massive free agents coming up?  

Do you really think we need a better backup for Singletary in order to win the SB?  I don’t.

Okay so your plan is to not upgrade the RB position and wait til next year to upgrade IOL. That’s a take.

Saying “I don’t know how to upgrade IOL but that’s what they should do” is basically scribbling graffiti.

CMC was the upgrade.   Panthers got a haul that makes no sense for us to give up.  

Of the names out there, none of them make any sense for us.  They’re all guys on par, or worse, than Singletary.  All have less potential than Cook.  

If we ever need to activate Moss, and he’s not up to it, just bring up Duke Johnson. 

I don’t really see us making a RB move. 

OL/WR… yes. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

We have a furnace.  But you running back enthusiasts want a new one because its cold in the house.  Meanwhile all theres a Saffold and Bates sized hole in the roof.

There was a really nice furnace on the market up until yesterday. Arguably the best furnace on the market, and obtainable. But that’s changed.

I don’t agree with getting a new RB now. Who cares. The players who are actually available are all JAGs just like Singletary.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Okay so your plan is to not upgrade the RB position and wait til next year to upgrade IOL. That’s a take.

Saying “I don’t know how to upgrade IOL but that’s what they should do” is basically scribbling graffiti.

And your plan is to piss away resources to upgrade Moss so some other guy can get tackled in the backfield?

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

And your plan is to piss away resources to upgrade Moss so some other guy can get tackled in the backfield?

Nah my plan was to go after CMC. Plan failed. I’d stay pat at RB and IOL because I don’t see an in-season upgrade anywhere.

The point was it’s easy to say “upgrade the IOL” without actually being able to do that lol

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Yeah, that’s what I said.

No what you said was that no RB will get overworked as long as Josh Allen is here. That's not correct just because he's not running the ball 20 times a game like Barkley doesn't mean a 5'6 running back taking on 250-300 pound men all day in pass pro is a walk in the park or running routes is easy at top speed. 

54 minutes ago, Stokes84 said:

Now that McCaffrey is off the market, I think it’s time to get serious about adding a RB.  A lot of people think it’s about replacing or upgrading Singletary, but to me, it’s about making sure we have the horses to win a game like we lost vs. New England last year. If we lose in the playoffs because the wind is gusting 50 mph in January and we can’t pass the ball, we are going to be kicking ourselves for not bolstering this position.  

A couple of options that might be worth exploring:

Antonio Gibson

David Montgomery

James Robinson

I think each could be available for a mid-round pick, and imo it would be totally worth it.

mid-round pick? I wouldn’t give up more than a 6th for any of those guys.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

It's ok to hate on players that aren't good at what they do. But if we could get a an improvement over Moss, why not take it?

What improvement are you expecting? 
He wasn’t even active last game. 
He has a whopping 17 carries this year for 91 yards in 5 games. 16 for 48 if you take away his one long run. 
Those attempts can easily just go to cook/motor if the coaches think Moss is ineffective. 

51 minutes ago, Stokes84 said:

And if you run Singletary into the ground you are still screwed, because he’s the only competent RB on the roster.

It’s like you didn’t read my post at all.

I don't really care if they run Singletary to the ground.  This is his last year on his rookie deal.  After that, he's not going to be worth it for us to keep.  Run one of the most under-utilized backs "to the ground" and give Cook some touches so we can "run him into the ground" for 4 years at the Rookie deal.  Rinse and repeat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

A couple of options worth exploring are:

1.  improving interior offensive line

2. improving interior offensive line

3. improving interior offensive line

4. improving right tackle

5. improving interior offensive line

That's what I prefer, but I don't see many of these players being available. OL play is a huge weakness throughout the entire NFL. 

The guys listed by the OP certainly don't move the needle for us at all. CMC made a degree of sense for us, but certainly not at that price. I do not see NYG trading Barkley either based on their record and him being an FA at the end of the season. That isn't the same as Sammy and Dareus. I think they would try to keep him personally 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lol-  i just woke up, saw dudes post and gave my opinion on his post.  I haven’t researched which OL might be available for trade.  MY BAD.  I didn’t know I had to propose a business plan in order to make a post in dudes thread.  

Posting on a message board IS like scribbling graffiti.  You’re acting like this is serious business.  Actually, you’re not.  You see an opportunity to talk smack to your daddy and you jumped on it.  And failed.  Per usual.

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Nah my plan was to go after CMC. Plan failed. I’d stay pat at RB and IOL because I don’t see an in-season upgrade anywhere.

The point was it’s easy to say “upgrade the IOL” without actually being able to do that lol

We don’t work for the Bills bruh.  We’re on the couch.  We can’t actually DO ANYTHING.  

you probably would’ve been ok trading a 2,3,4 and 5 for cmac. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Keep Singletary as the lead back (he's earned it). Bring in someone on the cheap as a good change of pace back for the year. My vote is for D'Ernest Johnson or Alexander Mattison. Begin incorporating Cook more next year. Get rid of Moss. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

What is the obsession with adding RBs when Singletary is playing perfectly fine?  Is this like a Fred Jackson thing?  Every year there is someone they are trying to replace him with?

What happens if Motor gets injured? Moss/Cook/Duke? If Duke, can we get him some game action

Edited by Solomon Grundy

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Won't really be available most likely, but this is the correct answer.

• Like (+1) 1

What is the obsession with adding RBs when Singletary is playing perfectly fine?  Is this like a Fred Jackson thing?  Every year there is someone they are trying to replace him with?

He poses zero threat and teams don’t gameplan for him. We need a RB that can take it to the house and overcome our deficiencies at OL and give us a competent running game 

• Like (+1) 1

The only thing that rouses my curiosity from a running back trade market standpoint is this:

Antonio Gibson was a college WR. He had 735 yards and 8 TDs as a senior, averaging 19.3 yards per reception.

For whatever reason, when he got to Washington, they just decided to...NOT use the pass-catching aspect of his game very much. They have used McKissic as the receiving back and sort of pigeonholed Gibson as an early down back. 

Very strange. Borderline personnel usage malpractice.

I'd be curious to see what he could do as a moving chess piece, 3rd down back, slot receiver type player. CMC/Deebo lite. And NO, I am not saying he is as talented as either of those guys. I'm just saying he has a versatility and skillset that should make him a much more moveable, diverse, interesting offensive weapon than the way Washington has used him. He's CERTAINLY better than Zack Moss. He's only 24 years old and posted 1300 yards from scrimmage and 10 TDs just last season.

Considering that he seems to be totally in the doghouse in Washington and could likely be had for very little compensation, and considering McDermott and Beane's relationship with Ron Rivera, I have to think that a trade could be very doable. 

The ONLY hang up I have is that I'm not sure how Gibson fits as far as culture/character goes. If he's a good dude? Trade a late round pick for him and see if he can "become the best version of himself" here. 

P.S. This isn't an anti-Singletary thread. Singletary would continue to be the starter. Every team needs good depth, injuries happen, and as I mentioned, Gibson could have a specialized role in the offense, different than Motor's.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Couldn’t agree more.

Anybody who even a little bit knows football knows that Devin Singletary is not the problem.

The problem is our interior o-line and the complete lack of depth behind Singletary. 

Specifically, we need a power rusher who can complement Singletary in short yardage situations.

Those are not hard to find and I'd be fine with either trading Moss for one, or giving up a late round pick for one. 

A good point. 

For me the issue is twofold: (1) Singletary gets injured, we are screwed, Moss is inactive some games, Cook is playing like a rookie and has yet to show he can handle a game; (2) Singletary is a FA after this year and likely pricing himself out of Buffalo, so if we can get Singletary a complement that is on a rookie or low cost contract, we have a RB for next year and don't need to burn a pick on a proven back.  

I'm also all for interior OL.  

Just now, DJB said:

He poses zero threat and teams don’t gameplan for him. We need a RB that can take it to the house and overcome our deficiencies at OL and give us a competent running game 

We need our run game to reliably be able to get one yard when everyone knows we're running and a run game that can keep defenses honest.  Thats it.  Thats all we need out of the run game to win a super bowl this year.  

A home run threat at RB is a luxury.  Pretty sure thats what Cook is supposed to be and we don't use him yet.  

I don't think there are too many backs in the league today who truly make up for bad line play.  Even guys like Saquon disappeared for a few years behind a trash Oline in NY.  Bad WB play didnt help.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

No what you said was that no RB will get overworked as long as Josh Allen is here. That's not correct just because he's not running the ball 20 times a game like Barkley doesn't mean a 5'6 running back taking on 250-300 pound men all day in pass pro is a walk in the park or running routes is easy at top speed. 

RB’s do take a pounding. Maybe why it is the most injured player position, so yes, the more Singletary plays, the more he risks injury.

9 minutes ago, DJB said:

Not sure where you come from, but 4.7 yards a carry is pretty good where I come from.  That's quite competent, IMO.  

The run game is not something we really are going to put a lot into. We are a passing team. It's OK. Really.

image.thumb.png.50e2db46c7ee237c0c070daeaa803587.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

We need our run game to reliably be able to get one yard when everyone knows we're running and a run game that can keep defenses honest.  Thats it.  Thats all we need out of the run game to win a super bowl this year.  

A home run threat at RB is a luxury.  Pretty sure thats what Cook is supposed to be and we don't use him yet.  

I don't think there are too many backs in the league today who truly make up for bad line play.  Even guys like Saquon disappeared for a few years behind a trash Oline in NY.  Bad WB play didnt help.

Then they should stop lining up with tight formations and trying to go power because they are NOT good at it.  

Go spread and do some version of a pin and pull run and they will be far more successful at it.

Why bring more people to the box when you struggle as it is with the normal number of defenders?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Still have Moss, Cook, Duke.

Each would cost a lot less than McCaffrey.  Can throw in Akers too, even if his stats have been traditionally pretty terrible. 

• Gibson - Fast which is a plus.  The minus is his YPC has gone down every year since his rookie year and he got benched for a rookie the first chance they got.  Something amiss here.
  • Montgomery - Sure handed, sort of boring.  Ran a 4.63 so... are we just trading for a Zack Moss who gets more touches?
  • Robinson - Also a 4.6+ guy.  Sure handed.  I'm not sure he's on the block though.   The jag's arent out of the division race by any means, hell there the only team in that division that has scored more points than they've given up.  Had the Achilles injury a year ago so he's probably a good fit for a timeshare.    
  • Akers - Meh, guy doesn't really pop to me.  2.6 yards per carry last year in the playoffs? Yuck.  

I would be.  

I’d swap Moss for Montgomery in a heartbeat. He’s a powerback with excellent contact balance and good vision that’s averaged 3.9 yards behind the most anemic Oline in the league and no passing attack to move safeties out of the box. Be a great compliment to Singletary and Cook. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Stokes84 said:

Now that McCaffrey is off the market, I think it’s time to get serious about adding a RB.  A lot of people think it’s about replacing or upgrading Singletary, but to me, it’s about making sure we have the horses to win a game like we lost vs. New England last year. If we lose in the playoffs because the wind is gusting 50 mph in January and we can’t pass the ball, we are going to be kicking ourselves for not bolstering this position.  

A couple of options that might be worth exploring:

Antonio Gibson

David Montgomery

James Robinson

I think each could be available for a mid-round pick, and imo it would be totally worth it.

I’d like to see a little more from Cook and Moss before committing to another RB. Motor looked great against KC and Dorsey is constructing an offense that uses a lot of underneath throws and bubble screens as an alternative running game. I’d rather use draft capital on depth in the defensive backfield.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.