Bill #1 in Offensive AND Defensive DVOA, 1st in total D and 2nd in total Offense at bye week

YoloinOhio

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Bill #1 in Offensive AND Defensive DVOA, 1st in total D and 2nd in total Offense at bye week
5 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Nice, Edmunds leading the D.  And while the Bills are 1st in Def scoring and 2nd in Off scoring, they’re actually 1st in Off yards per game and 2nd in Def yards per game.  Balanced dominance.

And that is despite them being so far ahead that they have been in soft prevent a lot. I'd say over half the yards Pittsburgh got don't happen if that game was close. But the Bills were content for Kenny Pickett to keep competing 8 yard passes down 20 plus points.. and we had our whole 2nd string D in vs Tennessee in the 4th Qrtr. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills are also 6th in special teams DVOA.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Talking heads, probably: "I don't know. I just don't believe in the Bills yet."

Certain fans on this site:  "I'll believe it when I see it."

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wjag said:

We are one JA17 skipped pass to McKenzie in the endzone from being 6-0..  That was the play..

I say we blame McKenzie for that.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cool part about this clip is that it shows just how important Edmunds and Taron Johnson are to this defense.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

There are so many plays the Bills squandered during that game.  Davis not holding onto a TD thrown right in his hands in the endzone was another missed opportunity.  Bills left 24-30 points on the field that game easily.

...or Matt Milano dropping a sure pick-6. It really took a perfect storm of missed opportunity for them not to win that game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, transient said:

...or Matt Milano dropping a sure pick-6. It really took a perfect storm of missed opportunity for them not to win that game.

Yeah...forgot that one...Tua literally threw him a gift pick 6.

17 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I say we blame McKenzie for that.

Cool part about this clip is that it shows just how important Edmunds and Taron Johnson are to this defense.

We have great players to be sure on D, but the even bigger part is how well they all play together, fill their role to a T on every play and play within the structure of the defense.  Bills have the most disciplined, technically sound defense in the NFL.

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Why were the games close? That's what you should be looking at.

They were close because the Bills didn't execute down in the Red Zone multiple times during the Dolphin and Chief games and nobody could catch the ball in the first half of the Raven game. Once they got rolling in that game they were pretty much unstoppable scoring on 4 of their last 5 possessions.

Bills are averaging 441 yards a game on offense, 30 more yards than the next closest team, the Lions who just got exposed by the Pats. Literally nobody is stopping them other than themselves.

The Bills have punted 7 times in 6 games with starters in the game. That's absurd.

But, his eye test ....

Since 2000, the only teams with a larger difference in yardage totals between 1st and 2nd place in offense has been the 2013 Broncos with Manning, the 2011 Saints with Brees, the 2007 Patriots with Brady and the 2001 and 2000 Greatest Show on Turf teams with the Rams. 

I would expect that gap over Detroit to grow as the season moves forward.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Bills number 1 in offensive and defensive DVOA, just beat the big kid on the block in their house (not to mention already having beaten the defending Super Bowl champs on the road), lead the league in point differential by far, and have the best QB in the league...

Talking heads, probably: "I don't know. I just don't believe in the Bills yet."

Who is saying this?  I don’t see anyone saying anything remotely close to this?  Anyone.  Sarcasm I suppose? 

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Who is saying this?  I don’t see anyone saying anything remotely close to this?  Anyone.  Sarcasm I suppose? 

After Sunday's game, I'm not really hearing it much.

Leading up to it, I still heard/saw a decent amount of Bills/Allen doubt and people saying they weren't at the Chiefs' level and that Allen wasn't at Mahomes' level.

Sunday's game definitely seems to have shut most of them up. Except Nick Wright, but he's just a pro wrestling heel persona.

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

After Sunday's game, I'm not really hearing it much.

Leading up to it, I still heard/saw a decent amount of Bills/Allen doubt and people saying they weren't at the Chiefs' level and that Allen wasn't at Mahomes' level.

Sunday's game definitely seems to have shut most of them up. Except Nick Wright, but he's just a pro wrestling heel persona.

Ok.  I guess I missed some content. I watch pretty much everything bills related posted on YT-  the only thing I really saw was the generalization  “I don’t pick against Mahomes @ home”.  Can’t blame them for that.  I definitely didn’t see anyone say that the bills aren’t on the Chiefs level.  Nick wright was playing his part to rile up the masses. I don’t count him.  He’s an actor.

44 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ok.  I guess I missed some content. I watch pretty much everything bills related posted on YT-  the only thing I really saw was the generalization  “I don’t pick against Mahomes @ home”.  Can’t blame them for that.  I definitely didn’t see anyone say that the bills aren’t on the Chiefs level.  Nick wright was playing his part to rile up the masses. I don’t count him.  He’s an actor.

I think I had this video fresh in my mind.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Even before this week, the Bills were considered the best team by both fans and pundits (just not literally every fan and pundit).  We really can't play the disrespect card this season, not to mention the disrespect card is gay.

13 hours ago, eball said:

Certain fans on this site:  "I'll believe it when I see it."

Yes, and that was obviously in reference to a debate about whether the Bills are an all-time great team (after playing three recent games that were tossups), not whether the Bills are an excellent team this year especially when healthy.  Why do you lie?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, harryS said:

Even before this week, the Bills were considered the best team by both fans and pundits (just not literally every fan and pundit).  We really can't play the disrespect card this season, not to mention the disrespect card is gay.

Yes, and that was obviously in reference to a debate about whether the Bills are an all-time great team (after playing three recent games that were tossups), not whether the Bills are an excellent team this year especially when healthy.  Why do you lie?

No, there are still fans on here that think the Bills can't beat the Chiefs in the playoffs.  Those same fans probably wont believe we will win the super bowl if we get there no matter who the opponent is.

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

No, there are still fans on here that think the Bills can't beat the Chiefs in the playoffs.  Those same fans probably wont believe we will win the super bowl if we get there no matter who the opponent is.

and what percentage of the forum are those fans?  1%?  2%?

we have to stop getting frustrated that not literally every Bills fan, opposing fan, or pundit will bow down at the sight of our mighty Bills.

17 minutes ago, harryS said:

and what percentage of the forum are those fans?  1%?  2%?

we have to stop getting frustrated that not literally every Bills fan, opposing fan, or pundit will bow down at the sight of our mighty Bills.

You called the eball a liar because he made a joke.  I pointed out you were wrong.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/17/2022 at 12:24 PM, Bills2022 said:

Can we get to the Super Bowl first?  Sorry, but the choke job in the KC game is going to stick with me until they beat KC and everyone else in the playoffs.  We have the best roster in the NFL, by a ton. 

*Sad trombone*

*Clown honk*

• Haha (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, TPS said:

Thanks, i was trying to find ST rankings yesterday.  My impression is the coverage units have been very good.

We are awesome in kick and punt return coverage, and mediocre in kick and punt return average.

Edit:  oh, and Football Outsiders is where those rankings are…

Edited by eball

3 minutes ago, eball said:

We are awesome in kick and punt return coverage, and mediocre in kick and punt return average.

Edit:  oh, and Football Outsiders is where those rankings are…

Thanks. Fortunately, the poor return game doesn't matter for this team...  😎

[In fact, I believe they get TDs 100% of the time when starting inside their own 5 yard line!]

Edited by TPS
  • Haha (+1) 2

Bills Rule with Rare Offense/Defense DVOA Combo

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-analysis/2022/bills-rule-rare-offensedefense-dvoa-combo

The Buffalo Bills' win over the Kansas City Chiefs may have been close on the scoreboard, but it wasn't quite as close on the spreadsheets. The Bills have strengthened their lead over the rest of the league in Football Outsiders' DVOA ratings after earning 50.7% DVOA for this win. In fact, the Bills are leading the league in a way we haven't seen in 19 years. They are currently the top NFL team in both offense and defense. Oh, and the Bills also have a top-five special teams unit, just for kicks. Literally.

It is really, really rare for a team to be No. 1 on both sides of the ball. How rare? The last team to end any week of the regular season on top of both offense and defense was the 2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers after Week 6. Yes, that's 19 years ago, the first year Football Outsiders was in existence. Using the current version of DVOA, both the 1987 San Francisco 49ers and 2001 St. Louis Rams finished the regular season peerless on both sides of the ball. However, there are only nine other weeks in DVOA history where a team was No. 1 on both sides. That's 11 weeks total out of 42 different NFL seasons going back to 1981.

1152604338_DVOAHistoric.thumb.jpg.5c1c4e9eb75fb264f8e4e3fe191b080f.jpg

Current DVOA (Top 16)

1351946464_DVOAAll1.thumb.jpg.0b10e7bc9c980108a82404c66c37eb8b.jpg

17 hours ago, Logic said:

I think I had this video fresh in my mind.

My God, those shows are ******* terrible, who watches that crap?

Some even pay extra to subject themselves to that trash, smh...

Remember when shows like NFL Prime Time were about the football instead of some entitled idiots opinions and rants?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It really cracks me up when fans “worry” about game-planning for the Bills’ upcoming opponents.  Imagine what the coaching staffs of these other teams are thinking about during the week leading up to facing Buffalo?

Only injuries and complacency/lack of focus can derail this juggernaut.  We’ve already withstood a ton of the former, and I just don’t think this team’s leaders will allow complacency to enter their mindset.

Sit back and enjoy the ride!

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Defensive DVOA is honestly shocking, especially when you look at the run D...so we are the #1 run D statistically in YPG and dominate the Run DVOA rankings also.

#1 Defensive Adjusted Line Yards(ALY) at 3.42(SF #2 at 3.61)

#1 RB Yards at 3.05(SF #2 at 3.10)

#11(t) Power Success at 60%(CLE #1 at 38%)

#1 Stuffed Percentage at 27%(MIA/ARI #2(t) at 25%)

#4 2nd Level Yards at 0.96(SF #1 at 0.73)

#2 Open Field Yards at 0.22(SF #1 at 0.18)

#4(t) Sacks at 19(DAL #1 at 24)

#5 Adjusted Sack Rate at 8.6%(DAL #1 at 10.4%)

image.thumb.png.f1ebdc71a7bda8f0435ec4a39413f445.png

Edited by Big Turk

On 10/17/2022 at 12:34 PM, ToGoGo said:

Schatz was a big Allen hater, right? 

Who is Schatz? And why does  it matter if they like or hate Allen?

On 10/19/2022 at 7:29 AM, TPS said:

Thanks. Fortunately, the poor return game doesn't matter for this team...  😎

[In fact, I believe they get TDs 100% of the time when starting inside their own 5 yard line!]

Hey its the offenses fault they have to start at their 1 yd line now to even get a chance at breaking the Bills record that they tied.  

i think it's fair to say kc has the better O than we do, we just have josh and diggs to perform miracles at times.

on D, i think we really are the best this season tho.  to get what we have gotten done with all the injuries and vz live opposition is a big thing.

on O, blocking could be better, but more fixable in the short term we need to figure out some better red zone stuff, and just be less sloppy w the ball.  a couple small changes there and this really could be an all time team.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Watching what the Chiefs did to San Fran, makes the Bills defensive performance that much more impressive.

That's what I was thinking as I listened to the Chiefs' game yesterday.  The Chiefs' announcers (who are excellent by the way - great play-by-play) reported absolutely joyously how their offense was taking apart the #1 defense on the road.   They conveniently forgot that the same offense was pretty much stymied at home by the Bills the week before.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.