Week 5: Steelers at Bills 10/9 1pm

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

But later in that drive he had a great block  out on the edge to spring Singletary. Who knows but hopes he’s okay because after Knox our TE depth is suspect.

Hmmm I’ll have to look again, I saw Knox in two more plays and he whiffed a block on one.  I didn’t think that was Knox.

Edit: you are right, he did hold his block well on Singletary’s “not gonna score” run

Amen on your point about TE depth.  I think Morris shows some promise but he’s not the blocker Knox is, and Sweeney….I had hopes for him at one time but that time is gone, that’s all I’ll say.

3 hours ago, Heathcliff said:

Out of bounds I might add 

Yeah I didn’t think you could do that, but the Zebras thought it good so

Edited by Beck Water

5 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

But later in that drive he had a great block  out on the edge to spring Singletary. Who knows but hopes he’s okay because after Knox our TE depth is suspect.

Agree, TE depth is not great.  I was hoping OJ Howard could help add a two TE look to the offense.  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Greg S said:

Even with the injuries the Bills should have no trouble winning this week. The game at KC is a different story. Our depth is definitely being tested.

This teams offense is not functioning well before this week. Brown / Tasker pointed out we are averaging 2 less possessions in the first half compared to last year , now getting 7 as opposed to 9 possessions/ half. Our lead margin at half last year was 10+ points. This year it’s zero. We are just coming off a loss to Miami ( where we failed to do well in the red zone ) , and we were behind 20-3 before a miracle comeback. We can’t convert short yardage downs and the running game has dropped off since the first two wins. 

Pittsburgh is 7- 2 against us in the last 9 meetings ,and we all remember last year going  in thinking  we had an easy first home game. Pittsburgh comes in at 1-3 as a 14 point dog ; staring a QB that sparked the teams play last week. Pickett to Pickens hit 10 times last week and they have receivers in he and Claypool that are physical and at least Claypool did well last year against us. We are facing an unknown qb who can run , and also looks to have energized their o , and now he has a week of practices under his belt knowing he is starting. Tomlin has proven to be a better coach so far , even tho that gap is narrowing. 

We are without a full receiving corp , and you know all the injuries and Gabe has struggled.  Knox didn’t practice and his production has not been great to this point. We have terrible back production , and have gotten zero from our 2 nd round pick who was supposed to add mismatch capabilities.  Our slot receiver has not practiced yet and has to clear concussion protocol to even play. We just lost our main PR/ Kr return guy in Crowder with a broken ankle.  Our main Lb , Edmunds just developed a hamstring injury and I don’t think he practiced today. This team only has so much talent and it’s stretched to its max, and the past two games may be  a warning that things are catching up. Plus add a new OC , and he has not been overly creative as we don’t see a creative run game ( and our guards have been disappointing, Safford particularly so and even Fina criticized his missed assignments in the last game ) and he is still learning on the job. 

All  I am saying is this seems like a “ trap game” with KC pending and no one giving Pittsburgh any chance to win. I still think Allen is enough to overcome things , but our margin of talent is gone. People keep wanting to sit players out to get healthy since it’s just Pittsburgh, forgetting how we lost to a team like Jax last year as the team took them lightly. I think we win , but I also think it could be close and an upset wouldn’t shock me. I just can’t see how this should be no trouble winning. Allen better not have turnovers or repeat that first half performance. Not often do teams come back from deficits and with our receiving corp decimated , it might be even harder.  I wouldn’t take Pittsburgh lightly under these circumstances and some warning signs are there with our offensive production these past two games. If we could start quickly , I do think our chances to win are still good, again if we can avoid losing the turnover battle. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 10/4/2022 at 9:32 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Diggs
Shakir
McKenzie (if cleared)

Austin 
Hodgins 

Davis needs rest (I know he likelt won't get it) 

Agreed on Davis. Shakir can play inside and out, this might be a good opportunity to spell Davis a bit early so he’s available/fresh  if needed late in the game if needed.

But McKenzie makes it interesting as well.

Part of the value add for Cook was he could line up in the slot. I would like to see him get some more opportunities there this week. This is a relatively  low pressure game that could help him find a stride possibly. 

4 hours ago, DrPJax said:

This teams offense is not functioning well before this week. Brown / Tasker pointed out we are averaging 2 less possessions in the first half compared to last year , now getting 7 as opposed to 9 possessions/ half. Our lead margin at half last year was 10+ points. This year it’s zero. We are just coming off a loss to Miami ( where we failed to do well in the red zone ) , and we were behind 20-3 before a miracle comeback. We can’t convert short yardage downs and the running game has dropped off since the first two wins. 

Pittsburgh is 7- 2 against us in the last 9 meetings ,and we all remember last year going  in thinking  we had an easy first home game. Pittsburgh comes in at 1-3 as a 14 point dog ; staring a QB that sparked the teams play last week. Pickett to Pickens hit 10 times last week and they have receivers in he and Claypool that are physical and at least Claypool did well last year against us. We are facing an unknown qb who can run , and also looks to have energized their o , and now he has a week of practices under his belt knowing he is starting. Tomlin has proven to be a better coach so far , even tho that gap is narrowing. 

We are without a full receiving corp , and you know all the injuries and Gabe has struggled.  Knox didn’t practice and his production has not been great to this point. We have terrible back production , and have gotten zero from our 2 nd round pick who was supposed to add mismatch capabilities.  Our slot receiver has not practiced yet and has to clear concussion protocol to even play. We just lost our main PR/ Kr return guy in Crowder with a broken ankle.  Our main Lb , Edmunds just developed a hamstring injury and I don’t think he practiced today. This team only has so much talent and it’s stretched to its max, and the past two games may be  a warning that things are catching up. Plus add a new OC , and he has not been overly creative as we don’t see a creative run game ( and our guards have been disappointing, Safford particularly so and even Fina criticized his missed assignments in the last game ) and he is still learning on the job. 

All  I am saying is this seems like a “ trap game” with KC pending and no one giving Pittsburgh any chance to win. I still think Allen is enough to overcome things , but our margin of talent is gone. People keep wanting to sit players out to get healthy since it’s just Pittsburgh, forgetting how we lost to a team like Jax last year as the team took them lightly. I think we win , but I also think it could be close and an upset wouldn’t shock me. I just can’t see how this should be no trouble winning. Allen better not have turnovers or repeat that first half performance. Not often do teams come back from deficits and with our receiving corp decimated , it might be even harder.  I wouldn’t take Pittsburgh lightly under these circumstances and some warning signs are there with our offensive production these past two games. If we could start quickly , I do think our chances to win are still good, again if we can avoid losing the turnover battle. 

What spark did Pickett provide? He threw three interceptions in one half.

I'm not saying Bills can't lose, but championship teams should not lose to lesser opponents at home. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Considering the injuries, making it to the BYE week at 4-2 would be a miracle.

Before the season, many people figured a 4-2 start given the front loaded schedule with the number of road games they play.

Considering the injuries, and the what they’ve been able to accomplish, 4-2 at the bye would set them up nicely to make a serious run at the end of the season:

- Green Bay (Primetime out of the bye)

-Jets
-Vikings
-Browns (no Watson)
-Lions (Thanksgiving)
-Jets
-Patriots (Primetime/ TNF)
-Jets 
-Dolphins
-Bears
-Bengals (Primetime/ MNF)
-Patriots

Are any of those teams going to be favored? I don’t think so. They still need to show up, but I don’t foresee any of those teams having a very unstoppable offense or players that could wreck the game for Allen and company.

Even the teams there that originally many perceived to be difficult games appear to so far not be what we thought they were (Green Bay, Cinci, Minny).

I think 4-2 at the bye could roll into 13-4 and the #1 seed. 

Like any other stat this shouldn’t be taken as the end all be all... But good lord, Von. 

Rousseau is in the jumbled middle. But was higher on the win rate scale before last week. 

And a nod to Rousseau being able to just flat out beat the man in front of him.  

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Anything, ANYTHING to keep the doomerism going.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Like any other stat this shouldn’t be taken as the end all be all... But good lord, Von. 

Rousseau is in the jumbled middle. But was higher on the win rate scale before last week. 

And a nod to Rousseau being able to just flat out beat the man in front of him.  

Interesting. From the two charts you posted then, a large number of Von's pass rush win rate comes from when we blitz/stunt?

Edited by stevewin

4 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Interesting. From the two charts you posted then, a large number of Von's pass rush win rate comes from when we blitz/stunt?

Well it’s from 2 different rating systems so I can’t be sure that’s the case. We’d need to know their criteria. Again, I don’t treat those things like the holy grail but I do think they help to be a part of painting the picture. 

Safe to say our thoroughbreds up front have been real good this year. But then again the eye test told us that already. 

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Well it’s from 2 different rating systems so I can’t be sure that’s the case. We’d need to know their criteria. Again, I don’t treat those things like the holy grail but I do think they help to be a part of painting the picture. 

Safe to say our thoroughbreds up front have been real good this year. But then again the eye test told us that already. 

Yeah, it just jumps out that Von is so almost off-the-chart high in the first chart for (any) pass rush wins - then isn't even in the top 6 of list that excludes blitzes/stunts

8 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Yeah, it just jumps out that Von is so almost off-the-chart high in the first chart for (any) pass rush wins - then isn't even in the top 6 of list that excludes blitzes/stunts

Makes sense. He’s a generational talent athletically on the edge. Get him moving in space and good luck. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Upsets can happen and the Bills can't take them lightly. But a couple of things. Buffalo is the better team even with the injuries. Speaking of injuries the Steelers are without TJ Watt which is a huge loss for them. They are 0-8 without him in the lineup. One of their best offensive players Harris has been playing banged up this year. The Steelers are also trying to adjust to life without Ben. Going from a future HOF QB to a career journeyman (Trubisky) and an unproven rookie is a lot of change for any team. Pickett had 3 int's vs the Jets at home. This week he faces one of the best defenses in the league on the road in a hostile environment. Sabres 31 Penguins 10.

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Before the season, many people figured a 4-2 start given the front loaded schedule with the number of road games they play.

Considering the injuries, and the what they’ve been able to accomplish, 4-2 at the bye would set them up nicely to make a serious run at the end of the season:

- Green Bay (Primetime out of the bye)

-Jets
-Vikings
-Browns (no Watson)
-Lions (Thanksgiving)
-Jets
-Patriots (Primetime/ TNF)
-Jets 
-Dolphins
-Bears
-Bengals (Primetime/ MNF)
-Patriots

Are any of those teams going to be favored? I don’t think so. They still need to show up, but I don’t foresee any of those teams having a very unstoppable offense or players that could wreck the game for Allen and company.

Even the teams there that originally many perceived to be difficult games appear to so far not be what we thought they were (Green Bay, Cinci, Minny).

I think 4-2 at the bye could roll into 13-4 and the #1 seed. 

That schedule down the stretch looks pretty favorable at the moment. I completely agree about 4-2 setting us up really well, IF we’re healthy.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Back2Buff said:

If the Bills are without Poyer, Edmunds, and Knox, I will be nervous.

Also, it would be another week of guys finishing games and being held out the following week.  Already cost us a game vs Miami.  Bumps and bruises happen, need to play through them.

They don't treat injuries with a broad brush. I'm sure they're doing what's best for the players and come playoff time I bet they'll be more likely to play through it

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

If the Bills are without Poyer, Edmunds, and Knox, I will be nervous.

Also, it would be another week of guys finishing games and being held out the following week.  Already cost us a game vs Miami.  Bumps and bruises happen, need to play through them.

What chu talkin bout

9 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Agree, TE depth is not great.  I was hoping OJ Howard could help add a two TE look to the offense.  

Yeah, me too. 

On the bright side, Quintin Morris looks like a find even though he's more of a Gilliam "tweener" type and his blocking needs improvement - he clearly took a big step.

On the downside, signing OJ Howard only to watch $3.125M of guaranteed money flutter out the window really bummed me out.  I had hopes.  Was he really worse than Sweeney?

I think TE are important to Dorsey's vision of the O he wants to run.  Why is it so hard for us to find one?

Can we just take a moment and appreciate how well the secondary is playing?  If it was June 1st and you had told me that Hyde would be lost for the year.  Tre would not be back before Green Bay.  Benford would break his hand.  Poyer would miss a game and be persistently dealing with nagging injuries.  Jackson would have a scary career-ending-appearing hit and miss a game.  All the while playing @LA, Ten, @Mia and @Bal and holding their own.  Would you have believed it?

Result 3-1, should be 4-0.  Crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I'm guessing he's referring to Morse finishing the game vs. TEN only to be held out the next week.

How about the benefit of doubt that they weren't "held out", they weren't able to play?  It's not uncommon for a number of injuries to be painful but able to be played through but then swelling and inflammation cause loss of function until they subside.  And MIA was on a short week, too.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Steelers are 0-8 without TJ Watt.

I honestly don’t see how the Steelers cover the spread…injuries to key defenders, a rookie QB making his first start, Bills first home game since week 2…I can’t see the Bills winning by less than 21… 

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

This is smart since we dominated both game we worn all blue

I'd like to see how a white helmet, blue jersey, red pants would look 

Blue on white should be the home look. Wear all white at home is OK early in the year when it's hot otherwise blue over white. Wear the all white throwbacks at home for one game as that is a great look. IMHO

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I honestly don’t see how the Steelers cover the spread…injuries to key defenders, a rookie QB making his first start, Bills first home game since week 2…I can’t see the Bills winning by less than 21… 

I'm supposed to paint my fence after the game.  In my area, everyone paints it black.  If we lose Sunday, I'm painting it red.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.