Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

3 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

150 pages ago, I thought the Bills could get away with keeping him on the roster while all of this was sorted out.  If the fanbase has spent 246+ pages discussing allegations about a punter over a period of 48 hours or so... I think it's safe to say this is enough of a distraction for the team that he has to be let go. 

To compare, there were only 107 pages of posts in Josh Allen's draft thread:

Oh the reactions that day. Embarrassing to read now.

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I thought someone posted something this morning which offered a potential loophole, though it's the commissioner alone who can place someone on the list. It's not something any team can request.

Possibly someone did.  I'm not sure.  Just posting what I have read.  This thread moves to fast for me to keep up with so I havent read all the comments.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t doubt that something happened

But a rape kit should be able to get DNA and everything… Especially if she went to the cops right after

There should be a Lot of  evidence

The problem with DNA evidence alone, being blunt here, is that it doesn't tell the jury whether or not the actions that put it there were consensual.

If the young woman says "I can't remember what happened" while (sorry to be graphic) the alleged rapists say "she was  saying "Oh yeah give it to me baby!" we had no reason to think she didn't consent" what's the jury gonna do?   Even bruises and strangulation marks can be explained away by "she said she wanted it rough". 

Retrograde amnesia is a Thing with certain drugs.  Drugging someone is a crime, but then you get into the question of "who gave her the drugs and did the alleged rapists have knowledge she was drugged and couldn't give meaningful consent?"

It's a mess to prosecute.  It's far more likely that's why the DA is sitting on this, than that they're just ignoring it.

• Agree 2

The other issue the Bills will have to be careful with is how Araiza's departure is handled with the press. They will probably need to tread carefully not to imply innocence or guilt, which means we may not get any answers on McDermott's implications yesterday.

Wouldn't be surprised if tonight's conference is a statement regarding Araiza but with a request not to ask questions on the subject/no comment answers.

18 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I read in an article that I posted in this thread that the NFL already said they wont do anything because this happened before he was drafted.

The NFL can't discipline him - they won't suspend him without pay or such.  Neither can the club.

But the commissioner's exempt list description is deliberately vague, so it isn't totally clear to me that they couldn't be applied.

If the reports are true of his locker being cleaned out and his nameplate gone, they are probably putting the final touches on the termination.  My guess is if the Bills do this right, they may be able to get back some, if not all. of his salary or something.  That's probably what the holdup is. 

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Who is she? Is she reliable?

The jersey has been removed and as of 1am, Sat. Aug 22, you could still order it.... I checked myself last night. 

Seems the writing is on the wall and I am happy this will soon be over. 

Edited by BIGFOOTspaceman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Not necessarily, depending what happens with the case.

This is correct.  Not sure why someone gave you the red X. 

If he clears his name, someone will likely sign him and absolutely should sign him.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Just reported again on ABC world news tonight. 

This is national news.

Accused ariza of gang raping a 17 year old girl along with 2 of his team mates.

Then they show McD stammering through his press conference. 

"Stammering" yeah I mean the dude was exhausted, seething, hurt, etc. Sorry he wasn't exactly giving a speech there. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, stevestojan said:

So, he will end his NFL career with the all time highest punt average. So, he’s got that going for him, which is nice. 

Assuming he stays in shape and motivated (and avoids prison), he'll get another chance once he gets his baggage checked.

• Disagree 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

Feels like the presser has been going to happen soon for a while now.

I know, right!  Have their site open and they just made an announcement about it coming soon.  This is the first time in quite a while that they mentioned it happening soon.  *fingers crossed it's soon.  Just want to get this over with finally, one way or the other...

Just now, phypon said:

I know, right!  Have their site open and they just made an announcement about it coming soon.  This is the first time in quite a while that they mentioned it happening soon.  *fingers crossed it's soon.  Just want to get this over with finally, one way or the other...

Do you have a link?  I went to the wibv.com site and couldn't figure out where the presser was.

Just now, Beck Water said:

Do you have a link?  I went to the wibv.com site and couldn't figure out where the presser was.

This is the link that I'm on:  https://www.wivb.com/watch-news-4-now/. Looks like it should be played directly there.  There is also this, you can open in a separate tab just in case: https://www.wivb.com/sports/buffalo-bills/sean-mcdermott-to-speak-saturday-afternoon/

• Like (+1) 1