Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

Has Upie turned the corner?  If what we’ve seen the last two outings are a sign of what’s to come, this could indeed turn out to be a special season for the swordsmen.

Only issue I have with the last two nights is why we’re shutting down in the 3rd.  I think the combined shots at Colorado and Vegas in the 3rd were 40-4 or something obscene like that.

5 hours ago, Draconator said:

UPL flat-out won the game for the Sabres tonight. Vegas dominated the 3rd, having I think over 20 shots on goal. UPL was up for it and stopped a penalty shot. He was the difference.

Shocking….seemingly impossible……but true.  Let’s hope he never reverts to his norm.  I’ve been completely unimpressed with him but last night was a different story.  He was great in the second period too.

While it is great to see UPL steal the game for us, the other side of that coin is we were pretty significantly outplayed.  We seem to give up way too many scoring chances.  Breakaways aside, we give up a lot of chances from deep in the slot.  

Doesn’t that imply our centers or wings aren’t picking up these shooters?  It seems we wouldn’t typically want our D men being pulled so far from the net.  Any opinions on why the deep slots seem so often open?

Edited by Bob in Mich

On 12/20/2022 at 10:14 AM, Bob in Mich said:

While it is great to see UPL steal the game for us, the other side of that coin is we were pretty significantly outplayed.  We seem to give up way too many scoring chances.  Breakaways aside, we give up a lot of chances from deep in the slot.  

Doesn’t that imply our centers or wings aren’t picking up these shooters?  It seems we wouldn’t typically want our D men being pulled so far from the net.  Any opinions on why the deep slots seem so often open?

Power will return my boy, chill. ***** actors like Fitz are not on the long term scribe.

Buffalo seems to be having "generational weather" about once a week so far...

On 12/20/2022 at 5:00 PM, Doc said:

Finally back to .500.  And climbing.

We are very much capable of being in a playoff race and maybe even making it to the playoffs.

We have to improve our defensive game, stop giving away 4 or 5 odd-man rush/breakaways PER GAME...and SOMEHOW get solid goaltending on a consistent basis.

We are an excellent goalie way from being a team capable of winning a playoff series or maybe more.

We have a solid Hart Trophy candidate and a solid Norris candidate too on the same team in the same year.

I hate to see us piss this away simply b/c the organization has deemed this "not the year" on the development timeline.

If nothing else, at least this team is fun to watch, and a likable group of guys.

That hasn't been the case in over a decade.

Trade for Jakob chicken-man (since I can’t spell his last name without looking)

be able to rotate Power, Dahlin, Chicken and who gets the big minutes that game. 

Dahlin looked gassed against Vegas. 

can’t keep playing Dahlin 25 minutes a night. 

plus if you are having a rough game put two of them together and have a dominant pair. 

38 minutes ago, Process said:

I haven't been to a sabres games in 5+ years. I was thinking of going to the game tonight thinking tickets would be like $20. The cheapest tickets are $100+. It's a random weekday game. Every time I see a game on TV the arena is half empty. What am I missing?

I don't know maybe snow prices?

1 hour ago, Process said:

I haven't been to a sabres games in 5+ years. I was thinking of going to the game tonight thinking tickets would be like $20. The cheapest tickets are $100+. It's a random weekday game. Every time I see a game on TV the arena is half empty. What am I missing?

I would think closer to game time you can get something for a lot cheaper.

I have to believe a LOT of ticket holders are not going to want to bother fighting through the snowy roads and what not to go down there tonight.  The problem is more than half the house is not sold!  So the number of secondary sales is limited.

And the Sabres themselves are not going to discount the tickets.

It DOES look like this game is actually going to happen though, so there's no worry about postponement, I don't think.

I'm looking forward to watching a game! It's been a while.

I'm expecting a Sabres win despite our lack of practice.

On 12/26/2022 at 6:34 PM, TBBills said:

This team is probably going to be rusty when they finally get to play again.

Maybe, but then the opposite may also be true.  We are already deep enough into the season for lots of people to be dinged up with annoyances, and those have had some time to heal now.

Granato commented on this yesterday I believe, saying the rest is huge for the team right now.

On 12/22/2022 at 8:46 AM, CountDorkula said:

Trade for Jakob chicken-man (since I can’t spell his last name without looking)

be able to rotate Power, Dahlin, Chicken and who gets the big minutes that game. 

Dahlin looked gassed against Vegas. 

can’t keep playing Dahlin 25 minutes a night. 

plus if you are having a rough game put two of them together and have a dominant pair. 

I'm all in favor of acquiring Chychrun, but I don't have a problem playing Dahlin 25 minutes a night.

He'll be eating those kinds of minutes for his entire career.

7 hours ago, Doc said:

And the arena is packed.  No wonder tix were so expensive.

I was amazed and happy to see a full house for this game!  I guess it's easier to get around up there than I thought!  This team is fun to watch and the crowd has really gotten into it a number of times this year already, including tonight.  

I thought we'd win, but not like THAT.  Detroit was really bad in their own end we were really sharp.  

The mini come-back helped keep it interesting, but overall, a good win.  We need to keep the streak rolling here.

It would be SO MUCH more fun if we could get into close range of a playoff spot and STAY THERE for the duration of the season.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It would be SO MUCH more fun if we could get into close range of a playoff spot and STAY THERE for the duration of the season.   

Well we're 8 points back with 4 games in hand. Maybe the 2 NY teams could slump that would help.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/29/2022 at 12:23 PM, Process said:

Fewer season ticket holders mean less secondary market tickets. Also this Sabres team is worth the price of admission. But you can still find deals if you look at mid-week games against bad western conference teams.

17 hours ago, T&C said:

Joe DiBiase
@SneakyJoeSports

Points per game in the NHL in the last 40 days...

1. Jeff Skinner - 1.92
2. Tage Thompson - 1.87
3. Connor McDavid - 1.83

7:02 AM · Dec 30, 2022

Connor McDavid is on his own level of otherworldliness, and that's as measured against the entire league.

But it's nice to see this outburst of scoring from multiple Sabres, no doubt.

If we had rock solid goaltending (we don't) and continue to tighten up team defense (will we?), we could do damage in the playoffs THIS YEAR....especially with the PP humming as it is.

I still think we have a very outside shot at playoff hockey this year, but next year we will be there, and then we'll be there every year for a long time.  We gotta get a goalie.

20 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

My season ticket friend sold all his games.

I snagged some and got a few games still.

Surprising that he would sell them all NOW...we FINALLY have a team worth watching for the first time in over a decade.  No joke.

6 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Buf up 2-1 

I'm watching this on the NESN feed and these boston play by play guys speak at half speed... RJ's son was better lol. Guess they are the Mowins of the hockey world.

• Haha (+1) 2

That was a REALLY GOOD hockey game made even better by the late goal and the huge winner in OT.

I would have been OK with a loss, especially with the penalty trouble we got into in the 3rd...then that 3rd goal came and I was thinking "Oh come on! Just get it to OT and take that point!"  

And then we WON it with Bergeron and Marchand ON THE ICE.

Dillon Cousins was awesome on that play and what a nice goal from Tuch!

Nice to see his mom down low in the crowd to enjoy that one.

Big shout out to UPL as well, who had a very solid game, kept us in it at times.

This team is a lot of fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.