Jump to content

Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023


SDS
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Buffalo picks Matt Savoie at #9.

 

I like it! 

Scott Wheeler’s draft profile:

 

Quote

4. Matthew Savoie — C, Winnipeg Ice, 5-foot-9

 

There isn’t a player in this draft class whose game thrills more than Savoie’s does when he’s firing. Inside the offensive zone, he’s lethal. He’s got extremely quick side-to-side hands that help him beat defenders one-on-one off of cuts. He’s got an NHL shot (which he can place with pinpoint accuracy from a bad angle and rip by a goalie clean from a distance, but he also loves to change up and slide five-hole). He does an excellent job creating plays to the slot out of traffic. He’s a burning skater with explosiveness that allows him to win races, separate in transition, and put defenders onto their heels, or dash through holes in coverage to the net (or draw a penalty). He’s a soft small-area passer who blends deception into his movements.

 

And then on top of those things, he’s got a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He’s always engaged, he keeps his feet moving, he plays with a ton of energy, and he finishes all of his checks and knocks his fair share of players over despite being on the smaller side). He’s also sturdier on his feet than his frame might suggest, which helps him play between checks. I see a dynamic, high-tempo, top-six, goal-creating package. He’s an exciting talent in a draft that’s short on them, with clear PP1 upside due to his shooting-skill package and clear five-on-five upside because of his skating and motor. Even in games where the points don’t fall, he’s almost always dangerous and threatening on the ice — and he’s seldom going to leave you wanting more. After suffering a shoulder injury in the playoffs, Savoie is also now out of his sling, which is positive news for the summer ahead.

 

 

Corey Pronman:

 

Quote

8. Matthew Savoie, C, Winnipeg (WHL)

Jan. 1, 2004 | 5′ 9.0″ | 175 pounds | Shoots right

Tier: Projected bubble top and middle of the lineup player

Skating: Above NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: Above NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Player comparable: Jaden Schwartz

 

Background: Savoie was one of the top forwards in the WHL as a 17-year-old, helping lead Winnipeg to the top of the standings and ending the season 7th in league scoring. He was a point-per-game player in the USHL as a 16-year-old. Savoie was the top pick in his WHL Bantam Draft after applying for and being denied exceptional status to play at the age of 15. He played at the U17 Challenge for Canada as a 15-year-old and was a top player.

 

Analysis: Savoie is a very talented scorer. He stands out with the puck on his stick and can attack in a variety of ways. Savoie is an excellent passer, who can run a power play, hit seams at a high rate and make tough plays under duress. He has very good hands to maneuver in traffic. He has good speed to beat opponents wide and he has a shot that can score from range. Savoie lacks ideal NHL size, but he competes hard and wins a surprising amount of battles for his size. He doesn’t have incredible speed and skill for a 5-foot-9 player so he may be moved to the wing in the NHL, but regardless I see him as a very good top-six forward.


 

I really like this pick!

 

hockey writers draft profile:

https://thehockeywriters.com/matthew-savoie-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thx Savoie pick is really intriguing.  I don’t know a damn thing about hockey prospects but I like that the Sabres added three centers who appear to have speed and skill into the fold.  They’ll be no help for the upcoming season but at least we can see the sort of team Adams is trying to build.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Winner: Buffalo Sabres

The Sabres entered draft day with three first-round picks. General manager Kevyn Adams and his scouting crew clearly had one thing in mind: Skilled forward. 

Buffalo drafted Matt Savoie at No. 9, Noah Ostlund at No. 16 and Jiri Kulich at No. 28, all three being extremely talented offensive forwards that posseses a ton of skill. It's not often you hit on three picks in one round, but the Sabres didn't reach or gamble on any of their picks. They took some of the best players available in their spot in the pecking order, and now a team that already possesses a deep prospect pool just got even stronger.  

 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-draft-winners-losers-2022-round-1/gbybxcgmzptpbyro5wjkf2dd

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't follow hockey closely, but from what little I could gather on Twitter about the draft prospects selected, it seems that Kevyn Adams is following the Beane draft model: Select highly gifted prospects with high ceilings and entrust the coaching staff to help that player reach that ceiling. 

It would be awesome for the city and for "One Buffalo" if the Sabres could return to perennial playoff contention and national prominence the way the Bills have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wild just signed Fleury to a 2yr deal. It appears Talbot wants out.


I believe Talbot has trade protection so I don’t know if he’d waive for Buffalo but it would be a big get if they could land him.

 

Sounds more like Adams plan is to go bargain shopping though. First Murray and now this ⬇️

 

Allen is another below league average goalie but at least he’s above a .900 sv%! 😂

 

I would much prefer Talbot though, depending on the cost to acquire. Buffalo can’t afford to be giving up any major assets for a 35yr old goalie. If the Wild want a 1st forget it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

What are the expectations for our three first rounders in terms of where they play the next few years?  Ostlund said he expects to play another year or two in Sweden I believe.  How soon until we see some of these guys in Rochester?

 

EDIT: I am now familiar with the CHL-NHL agreement and see Savoie either has to dazzle at the prospects camp and make the jump to the NHL or hes back in the WHL until hes 20.

Edited by Jauronimo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate how long if at all it takes for a NHL player to make it up to the level. These guys should be thrown out there earlier than later, just the only way to move forward anymore in the NHL. 

 

This team needs to be competitive this year, they still need 1-2 starting goalies before the season starts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TBBills said:

I hate how long if at all it takes for a NHL player to make it up to the level. These guys should be thrown out there earlier than later, just the only way to move forward anymore in the NHL. 

 

This team needs to be competitive this year, they still need 1-2 starting goalies before the season starts.

You're drafting 17 year olds, sometimes 18 and the odd over-ager. Development is more akin to baseball. You just can't rush that. Sabres have arguably the deepest pool of prospects in the league. Goalie is an issue, but they should be markedly improved in the coming seasons. Hard to be patient after 11 years of missing the playoffs, but there's no magic wand, unfortunately.

  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

You're drafting 17 year olds, sometimes 18 and the odd over-ager. Development is more akin to baseball. You just can't rush that. Sabres have arguably the deepest pool of prospects in the league. Goalie is an issue, but they should be markedly improved in the coming seasons. Hard to be patient after 11 years of missing the playoffs, but there's no magic wand, unfortunately.

 

Yeah, you think they're like football players who are 21-22 years old, but they're not and are just not physically mature enough at that age. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Doc said:

 

Yeah, you think they're like football players who are 21-22 years old, but they're not and are just not physically mature enough at that age. 

This is true but you also have to know when to move them up or let them go.  The Sabres drafted Ukka Pukka Sambuca in 1988.  Time for bye bye.  Levi and the unsigned one are the future.  The present has to be Anderson plus a free agent or trade.  The Sabres should not mortgage any future with a crazy trade of prospects for Kane or something, but shelling out $ for Talbot or Kuemper should at least be investigated.  It’s a fine line in goal but the team as currently constructed can probably compete with a competent goalie now and maybe two years from now be a contender with an emerging young goalie as our backup.  If we somehow managed to keep Ullmark we’d be there already.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

This is true but you also have to know when to move them up or let them go.  The Sabres drafted Ukka Pukka Sambuca in 1988.  Time for bye bye.  Levi and the unsigned one are the future.  The present has to be Anderson plus a free agent or trade.  The Sabres should not mortgage any future with a crazy trade of prospects for Kane or something, but shelling out $ for Talbot or Kuemper should at least be investigated.  It’s a fine line in goal but the team as currently constructed can probably compete with a competent goalie now and maybe two years from now be a contender with an emerging young goalie as our backup.  If we somehow managed to keep Ullmark we’d be there already.

Yeah but UPL was BY FAR our best goalie last year in the NHL, until he got injured obviously.

 

He had a .917 sv% which is far and away better than any other goalie that played for the Sabres last year. Anderson, who you’re seemingly ok with, had an .898%.

 

I don’t get why you want to move on? You think we should cut the best current chance we have at getting above league average goaltending next season, which makes zero sense to me.

 

Right now we have UPL, who has always played above league average during his (short) time in the NHL. And Anderson, who has been barely a .900% goalie the last 4 years.

 

The Sabres have been turned down by multiple goalies. Murray refused a trade here. Supposedly someone on NHL network said John Gibson also refused a trade here. I can’t see Kuemper (wants the Grubauer contract - 6yrs, $6M) or Talbot (35yrs old, wants to win) coming here. I’d be all for it if either wanted to though! You know I’ve been advocating for them to do something in net..

 

But There are very few goalies even left on the market, trade or free agent.

 

There’s no reason to cut UPL anyway. Even if he’s just rochester’s goalie (they also have no goalies under contract).

 

I honestly don’t get your crusade against UPL. You been slamming him ever since we drafted him, and always purposely mispronouncing his name.

 

Did he run over your dog or something? 😂

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah but UPL was BY FAR our best goalie last year in the NHL, until he got injured obviously.

 

He had a .917 sv% which is far and away better than any other goalie that played for the Sabres last year. Anderson, who you’re seemingly ok with, had an .898%.

 

I don’t get why you want to move on? You think we should cut the best current chance we have at getting above league average goaltending next season, which makes zero sense to me.

 

Right now we have UPL, who has always played above league average during his (short) time in the NHL. And Anderson, who has been barely a .900% goalie the last 4 years.

 

The Sabres have been turned down by multiple goalies. Murray refused a trade here. Supposedly someone on NHL network said John Gibson also refused a trade here. I can’t see Kuemper (wants the Grubauer contract - 6yrs, $6M) or Talbot (35yrs old, wants to win) coming here. I’d be all for it if either wanted to though! You know I’ve been advocating for them to do something in net..

 

But There are very few goalies even left on the market, trade or free agent.

 

There’s no reason to cut UPL anyway. Even if he’s just rochester’s goalie (they also have no goalies under contract).

 

I honestly don’t get your crusade against UPL. You been slamming him ever since we drafted him, and always purposely mispronouncing his name.

 

Did he run over your dog or something? 😂

Nothing against him it is just obvious he isn’t going to cut it.  His presence could be a minor deterrent to Levi  and/or Portillo signing.  That would be bad.  I suppose Talbot or Kuemper could create the same issue but at least provide a shot at winning.  Ukka has had plenty of time to develop; the Sabres drafted him the same year the Bills took Todd Collins but the Bills knew when to pull the plug..  Anderson is not going to stop anyone from signing and he is a positive locker room presence.  Ukka is basically the Trent Edwards of goalies.  
 

If we’re stuck, we’re stuck, but that dude is never going to contribute to a winning team in Buffalo or anywhere else.  I have nothing personal against hi: he just stinks and hasn’t exactly stayed healthy either.  The only other Sabre I’ve been negative about in the last year or so is Skinner and it even looked like some of the positivity of the team rubbed off on him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Nothing against him it is just obvious he isn’t going to cut it.  His presence could be a minor deterrent to Levi  and/or Portillo signing.  That would be bad.  I suppose Talbot or Kuemper could create the same issue but at least provide a shot at winning.  Ukka has had plenty of time to develop; the Sabres drafted him the same year the Bills took Todd Collins but the Bills knew when to pull the plug..  Anderson is not going to stop anyone from signing and he is a positive locker room presence.  Ukka is basically the Trent Edwards of goalies.  
 

If we’re stuck, we’re stuck, but that dude is never going to contribute to a winning team in Buffalo or anywhere else.  I have nothing personal against hi: he just stinks and hasn’t exactly stayed healthy either.  The only other Sabre I’ve been negative about in the last year or so is Skinner and it even looked like some of the positivity of the team rubbed off on him.

I don't think its entirely obvious. It's a long shot, but he has played better at the NHL level in limited time. He can't stay healthy, which is an issue. At minimum, he's the best goalie on the roster with a very low bar. I would make a play for Kuemper, even with longer term. He's not great, but average goalie is a leap for us. You'd have to overpay some. Still think having good goal tending encourages the whole team and makes everyone better. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t get Kuemper  if it means giving him a 6-year deal. The focus should be getting Levi to sign next year (I think Portillo is gone) and removing anything they might make him think twice about doing that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...