Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

20 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Tage

Dahlin.

Dahlin started to become a beast with a nasty streak last season.

By the end of this year he will be looked upon as one of the top 3 defensemen in the NHL.

Edited by Beast

Good Buffalo Sabres win they needed to get off to a good start especially with the good crowd they had there tonight. Over 15,000 was a nice surprise. I wasn’t expecting more than 10,000 to be honest. The Buffalo Sabres need to win hockey games to win back the Sabres fan base in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

4 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Good Buffalo Sabres win they needed to get off to a good start especially with the good crowd they had there tonight. Over 15,000 was a nice surprise. I wasn’t expecting more than 10,000 to be honest. The Buffalo Sabres need to win hockey games to win back the Sabres fan base in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

To be fair they always get off to a good start. The beginning of the year is never a problem for this team.

• Agree 1

Happy to see Peterka get his first.  He struggled a bit in preseason but if he gets comfortable what a weapon.

These guys are going to be lots of fun to watch.  They are a young, free-wheeling team, and it will be painful at times (i.e., breakaways the other way) but if the goaltending stands up we’ve got a chance.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

To be fair they always get off to a good start. The beginning of the year is never a problem for this team.

Exactly, as a casual fan who likes to support Buffalo sports, I’m not a diehard. I’m happy they got off to a good start, but won’t start to believe until they keep this up

past mid season. People seem excited about this win, and the team’s potential, but I keep hearing they have the pieces every year. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

Happy to see Peterka get his first.  He struggled a bit in preseason but if he gets comfortable what a weapon.

These guys are going to be lots of fun to watch.  They are a young, free-wheeling team, and it will be painful at times (i.e., breakaways the other way) but if the goaltending stands up we’ve got a chance.

The Cozens Peterka Krebs line was dominant.  Peterka flashed all night.  He could have easily had another goal and a helper if Girgensons could finish.

Nice win against a team that added a lot of talent.  

The Good

-Dylan Cozens with Peterka looks like instant chemistry.  Best line for us and possibly best line on the ice last night.  They dominated game play.  Cozens is picking up where he left off after what was by all accounts a great performance at Worlds.  I forget hes only 21 years old.  

-Peterka is a gamer.  Quinn was the big prospect but I think the Sabres really nailed it with the second round pick.  Peterka was very close to recording his second career goal and I believe he set up Girgensons for a point blank chance but of course Zemgus can't finish.

-Anderson is playing like a fresh 39 year old and saved the game blanking Ottawa on 4 or 5 breakaways.  Great debut for him.

-I thought Buffalo got the better of 5 on 5 game play on balance with extended stretches of sustained pressure to open the game, early second and much of the 3rd.

-Olafsson's goal song is highly amusing

-Winning despite sloppy play.  

The Bad:

-The power play.  Holy @#$@% was that bad. Between giving up breakaways and odd man rushes to Skinner turning the puck over left and right, to trying to skate through the whole team on offensive zone entry, to forcing passes through the middle, it was putrid.  The PP last year was killer so I think they will get it going.

-Its game 1 but there were some mistakes that dont cut it in pee wee hockey on the blue line that led to prime scoring chances.  Power got victimized much of the night with bad pinches and turnovers.  Dahlin had a total WTF moment that resulted in a breakaway which was sad to see.  Power was particularly shaky out there and looked like a rookie.  Somehow power lost a footrace to a puck 5 feet away from him and a winger from 20 feet out got a point blank chance.  

-Mitts Tuch and Quinn were mostly non existent out there which looks to have come at the expense of the Tage Skinner Tuch combination which was so good last year.  I wonder how long that combination will last.  Mitts Quinn and Olafsson isn't exactly inspiring.  Mitts just isn't fast enough for a guy who plays that small.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

The Good

-Dylan Cozens with Peterka looks like instant chemistry.  Best line for us and possibly best line on the ice last night.  They dominated game play.  Cozens is picking up where he left off after what was by all accounts a great performance at Worlds.  I forget hes only 21 years old.  

-Peterka is a gamer.  Quinn was the big prospect but I think the Sabres really nailed it with the second round pick.  Peterka was very close to recording his second career goal and I believe he set up Girgensons for a point blank chance but of course Zemgus can't finish.

-Anderson is playing like a fresh 39 year old and saved the game blanking Ottawa on 4 or 5 breakaways.  Great debut for him.

-I thought Buffalo got the better of 5 on 5 game play on balance with extended stretches of sustained pressure to open the game, early second and much of the 3rd.

The Bad:

-The power play.  Holy @#$@% was that bad. Between giving up breakaways and odd man rushes to Skinner turning the puck over left and right, to trying to skate through the whole team on offensive zone entry, to forcing passes through the middle, it was putrid.  The PP last year was killer so I think they will get it going.

-Its game 1 but there were some mistakes that dont cut it in pee wee hockey on the blue line that led to prime scoring chances.  Power got victimized much of the night with bad pinches and turnovers.  Dahlin had a total WTF moment that resulted in a breakaway which was sad to see.  Power was particularly shaky out there and looked like a rookie.  Somehow power lost a footrace to a puck 5 feet away from him and a winger from 20 feet out got a point blank chance.  

-Mitts Tuch and Quinn were mostly non existent out there which looks to have come at the expense of the Tage Skinner Tuch combination which was so good last year.  I wonder how long that combination will last.  Mitts Quinn and Olafsson isn't exactly inspiring.  Mitts just isn't fast enough for a guy who plays that small.

To me, Mitts looked like he had a strong game.

Edited by Beast

6 hours ago, eball said:

Speaking of goaltending, Anderson stopped three fully-clear breakaways last night. If he doesn't come up big it's a different outcome. Don't know how long his body will hold up, but he was stellar last night.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The Good

The Bad:

I don't get why we broke up Quinn and Peterka as they were great together in Rochester, I get we want to spread the wealth or avoid rookie mistakes but man the potential these two have together could be scary. 

8 hours ago, Beast said:

To me, Mitts looked like he had a strong game.

He showed some flashes but it was frustrating watching him fall over all night long including that one really bad give away when we were on the Power Play that almost resulted in a short handed goal for Ottawa.  I like Casey and I've been rooting for him since he got here but sometimes I wonder/worry if the game at the NHL is too big for him to really break out.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.