Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

Yeah, this was a terrible loss tonight.  Vancouver is a mess right now and we just didn't have it.  

Give up 5 at home to the Canucks?  Get out of here with that.

Really disappointed in this team; I thought we would bust the losing streak tonight.

Maybe tomorrow in Kanata.

• Agree 1

On pace to finish with a worse points % than last year. 

what is the growth plan? We have done the losing with a young team before. It didn’t work out well. 

Granato has a career win % barely above The soccer coach. it’s starting to get concerning. 

Adams needs to get off his ass and make an addition to this team. 

3 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

On pace to finish with a worse points % than last year. 

what is the growth plan? We have done the losing with a young team before. It didn’t work out well. 

Granato has a career win % barely above The soccer coach. it’s starting to get concerning. 

Adams needs to get off his ass and make an addition to this team. 

The plan appears to tread water and roll with the kids until Quinn Peterka and Cozens are old enough to rent cars.  Hopefully Levi is ready to go by then and we make a splash in free agency.

This was an awful loss in what has been a horrible November.  These guys should be the desperate team and it was the Canucks that worked harder especially in periods 1 and 2.  The Sabres goaltending stinks again, the D is lacking and the O will score a pretty goal here and there but not enough to win.  Really disappointed in this club.

23 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I just dont get what the expectations are.  I hear a lot of 'well we arent supposed to be good' talk still.

This is Adams' 3rd full season as GM.  Where are we?  A 76.5 point pace and 2nd last in the Division.  I guess that is a 1.5 point improvement over last season and the exact same as Botterill was doing 4 and 5 years ago so there is that.  They should probably race to give the GM and coach more extensions.  

They just allowed Eichel to drag his sack over their and our fanbases' faces the other night.

At some point they need to make actual gains in winning and the standings.   What is going to change next season to make them a playoff team if they are still stuck in the 70s-range in points (which is the bottom quartile of the league in a typical season with loser points)?

a lot of this is venting, but its also true.  

Adams' first year with Kruger (2020-21) I consider  Year 0, followed by the tear-down ahead of last season as Year 1 and now they're into the second true season. They'll probably be short of the playoffs, but at some point the young talent particularly up front has to show something because I expect a playoff team in 2023-24.    

I'm stuck between the idea that rebuilding a NHL team takes multiple seasons and wanting results this season.  It's not like the NFL where you have a guy become your franchise QB and you begin winning.  At the same time, Adams and Granato getting extensions mean it's pretty much their show or bust now.  

For now, I'm not as concerned about being frugal with cap spending if it means they're intent on re-signing Dahlin and Power.  Those 2 should be cornerstone players for several years to come, but they'll be going in circles if either do not see success and want out.  

Sabres back down to earth. Thanks for getting this team some goaltending...

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

I'm stuck between the idea that rebuilding a NHL team takes multiple seasons and wanting results this season

This idea is false and was created by fans of teams like the Sabres as copium.

When other teams go on 3, 4, 5 game losing streaks you hear about the GM meeting with the team and ripping them a new @$$****. Telling them how this is totally unacceptable. You hear about players-only meetings to figure out wtf is going wrong.

With the Sabres? Nothing. I feel like this franchise has just accepted losing.

Adams has no one to blame but himself. We had these same issues last season too. And What did he do? Bring back the same damn team almost unchanged.

Sick of this f’n loser organization. 

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

How long does it take to rebuild in the NHL?

Depends on your HC and GM, 1 year/2 max to start being competitive. Unlike the Sabres.... outside of Sept/Oct this team doesn't even know the meaning of competitive. 

Edited by TBBills
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yeah, it really shouldn't be rocket science.  The Leafs were last in the NHL for a year 7 years ago and have been a 100+ point team ever since.  Somehow the Sabres have finished dead last in the league 4 times since this drought started and 2 of those times since the Leafs got Matthews

New Jersey was worse than the Sabres last year and is somehow 13-3-0.

The Rangers had a 2 year rebuild a few years ago.  The Islanders got good almost overnight when they signed Lamoriello and Trotz.   Vegas never even had to rebuild.

But here it is this giant process constantly mapped out to keep the window of competing like 3 years in the future.  

• Like (+1) 1

As was already said, we see other teams flip it around in a year or two.  Maybe it's just lucky or teams get a hot goalie.  New Jersey in 2021-2022 had 46 losses and 63 total points (Buf had 75 pts).  This season they are on an 11 game winning streak, already have 26 pts and are the class of the Metro Division.  It's just unreal what we have to endure here... 

17 minutes ago, zow2 said:

As was already said, we see other teams flip it around in a year or two.  Maybe it's just lucky or teams get a hot goalie.  New Jersey in 2021-2022 had 46 losses and 63 total points (Buf had 75 pts).  This season they are on an 11 game winning streak, already have 26 pts and are the class of the Metro Division.  It's just unreal what we have to endure here... 

I've seen that movie before.  The November Champions!

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

This idea is false and was created by fans of teams like the Sabres as copium.

They need to demonstrate being more than a 75-85 point team this year AND the several youth show the team's trust in them.  Because at some point prospects go from being that to either players or not.    

I'm not a fan of being patient much either, nor an overly-deliberate rebuilding strategy...but they're 1/5th of the way into the season.  

27 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

They need to demonstrate being more than a 75-85 point team this year AND the several youth show the team's trust in them.  Because at some point prospects go from being that to either players or not.    

I'm not a fan of being patient much either, nor an overly-deliberate rebuilding strategy...but they're 1/5th of the way into the season.  

Pretty sure we find ourselves where we are due to the impatient approach to team building.  The prospect pool was depleted for vets who didn't stick around long and under produced.  

Okposo and Sabres legend Ben Bishop are off the books next year.  $10 million in cap space.  Look for Adams to make some moves this offseason.   I think either Oloffson or Mitts will be moved in the next 12 months as well.  And only 10 more years of Skinner's max contract!

5 UFAs and 4 RFAs next season.  I expect this roster will be very different in 2023-2024.  

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Pretty sure we find ourselves where we are due to the impatient approach to team building.  The prospect pool was depleted for vets who didn't stick around long and under produced.  

Okposo and Sabres legend Ben Bishop are off the books next year.  $10 million in cap space.  Look for Adams to make some moves this offseason.   I think either Oloffson or Mitts will be moved in the next 12 months as well.  And only 10 more years of Skinner's max contract!

5 UFAs and 4 RFAs next season.  I expect this roster will be very different in 2023-2024.  

I'm all on board with moving Mittelstadt.

He started out for a while as a total zero.  Then he had a mini renaissance and came back to camp a couple years ago as a much more mature and better player.

But then it didn't go anywhere and his play is just "blah".  He doesn't really do anything.

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

There was a time during this phase when one of our tanking competitors was COLORADO!  And Calgary!  And other teams that have advanced 1000% beyond the Sabres, but that is because we have already had a couple of failed rebuilds.  

It has only started to come together under Adams (amazingly) as GM and the current coach.  

It's almost unfair to judge development going much further back than them.

GMTM did a hell of a job of setting us back literally a period of years.

6 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

But here it is this giant process constantly mapped out to keep the window of competing like 3 years in the future.  

Well, if you were the GM or HC, you would like to be judged 3 years from now too! 

😂

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm all on board with moving Mittelstadt.

He started out for a while as a total zero.  Then he had a mini renaissance and came back to camp a couple years ago as a much more mature and better player.

But then it didn't go anywhere and his play is just "blah".  He doesn't really do anything.

We simply have too many of that guy.  Mitts has nice hands and can make some slick plays but he lacks the speed and physicality to make much of his skills.  Then we have Olofsson who has an elite shot but lacks the speed, physicality, and vision to be effective 5 on 5.  Then we have Quinn who has a nice shot, great play making ability, but lacks the speed and physicality to do much with it... at this time.  Krebs may as well fit into this bucket as well but he is skating faster this season and isn't an automatic turnover every time someone leans on him now.

Quinn is still developing and I have hopes he will put it all together.  Mitts and Olofsson are who they are at this point.  Quinn makes Mitts completely expendable in my opinion.  The NHL never gives up on a former high first round pick so if he gets hot he may command a little return.  Olofsson is the most likely trade candidate.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.