Bills FA rumors thread

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't actually.  Beane said up front last season that we would not be big players in FA.  He's usually a pretty straight shooter.

And we did sign Sanders for $6M

You don’t remember the JJ Watt rumors?  Clowney?  Sammy Watkins’ return?

Also Beane has basically already said the same thing about this year’s free agency.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

2 hours ago, TPS said:

It's possible he re-thinks this position given "notable" players are expressing interest in the Bills, assuming they'll take a slight discount to join the super bowl contender.

Oh indeed.  This off-season Beane said something to the effect that we wouldn't be big spenders but we would have more to work with than last season.

Of course, it all depends upon players who are currently under contract being "on board" with signing extensions.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If they make it a 1 year, 18 million it would work. Or 2 years 36 but the bulk of his guarantees are in year 1, year 2 has opt-out clause 

For me you make it a one year, 18 million deal but with a dummy second year to spread the hit out. So something like:

$9m fully guaranteed signing bonus (amortized over 2 years)

$9m fully guaranteed 2018 salary

The second year automatically voids on the final day of the 2022 league year

That would give you a cap hit of $13.5m in 2021 and $4.5m dead money on next year's cap. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The JJ Watt rumors?

Also Beane has basically already said the same thing about this year’s free agency.

Beane can't control rumors.  He can (and should) do due diligence on every FA, but just because he "shows interest" by reaching out to see what a player wants then shrugging and moving on when there's not a match, doesn't mean the Bills are in a serious negotiation with every FA

And no, what I heard him say was different.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane can't control rumors.  He can (and should) do due diligence on every FA, but just because he "shows interest" by reaching out to see what a player wants then shrugging and moving on when there's not a match, doesn't mean the Bills are in a serious negotiation with every FA

My point is that despite all the rumors and hype, the Bills sat out free agency and trades last year after basically announcing that they’d be doing so.  I expect more of the same this year.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Of course money is always a factor

Unfortunately for a lot of players these days, it's the only factor.  Don't know Chandler personally, so can't say if this is HIS mindset, but I think the vast majority of players know their time in the league is very limited, so grab every last dollar you can before the ride ends.

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am all for signing Engram to pair with Knox, would be a really challenging duo for defenses to cover

I think if the Bills sign a free agent tight end it will be someone who can block. That rules Engram out. 

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

My point is that despite all the rumors and hype, the Bills sat out free agency and trades last year after basically announcing that they’d be doing so.  I expect more of the same this year.

They did make an offer for Watt though. It was just that they didn't offer as much as 'Zona. 

15 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

It depends how much 12 personnel they run, and if they see Engram as a potential slot WR, but from where I am standing the guy is a suspect blocker, doesnt have great hands, and has missed 20% of his games.   I am all for the Bills taking a flyer on the guy, but I wouldnt spend more than 2 million to bring the guy in.   I hope someone overpays so we dont have to find out, but no way I am paying my backup tight end more than Knox.

"suspect blocker" might be the kindest thing anyone has ever said about him. He is goddam awful. He is another guy who is only a tight end in name. He is a big slot and as you say he has had drops issues. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

If I were him I would choose the Bills over the Broncos. That division is brutal. The Bills play in a division with Moe, Larry, and Curly. Buffalo has the easier path to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl then the Broncos do. Of course money is always a factor so the Bills offer has to be in line with what others are offering.

Plus I don’t know if he harbors any pettiness for the pats/bellicheat but he may like to face that a couple times 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think if the Bills sign a free agent tight end it will be someone who can block. That rules Engram out. 

They did make an offer for Watt though. It was just that they didn't offer as much as 'Zona. 

"suspect blocker" might be the kindest thing anyone has ever said about him. He is goddam awful. He is another guy who is only a tight end in name. He is a big slot and as you say he has had drops issues. 

I feel the same.  We need a TE2 that has the ability to block.  That said…..it seems like there’s a good chance we lose Cole this offseason and will need a slot.  Maybe Isaiah returns, but I have a feeling that he’s going to return.  Maybe the thought is to play Engram in the slot.  He’d be the best run blocking slot WR in the league and a mismatch for many nickels.

whatcha think about him as our slot WR that can be moved all over…..while he’s healthy?

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I feel the same.  We need a TE2 that has the ability to block.  That said…..it seems like there’s a good chance we lose Cole this offseason and will need a slot.  Maybe Isaiah returns, but I have a feeling that he’s going to return.  Maybe the thought is to play Engram in the slot.  He’d be the best run blocking slot WR in the league and a mismatch for many nickels.

whatcha think about him as our slot WR that can be moved all over…..while he’s healthy?

That's how I see Engram- a slot replacement.   We would still add another TE, IMO

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That's a better question for Ken Dorsey than for me haha. What I mean by that is he can't do the quick separation find the zone and sit in it for Josh's guaranteed underneath completion the way they have used Cole Beasley. He can't run those overs from the slot that they did with Isaiah against the Patriots 2nd time around either. But if you are going to attack down the seam more then Engram can certainly do some damage as a big slot in that role. Essentially, yes I can see the thinking but it would be a change of approach on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Personally,  I don't trust Engram to be anything more than an enigma.    He'd instantly become the Edmunds of the offense.    I was so glad the Bills dodged that bullet in the draft........hard to get excited about paying him for potential years later.

But I suppose if they swung Edmunds and #25 to Seattle for DK Metcalf and #40 as @MrEpsYtown  has suggested........why not if Engram is cheap.........then it would be just one enigma and you'd have quite the Ole Miss re-union with Knox, Engram and DK. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Gambit said:

While I'm down for signing Jones because he's been better than what we've had for years. But are people over hyping the guy? He had 10.5 sacks last year with 5 of them coming in 1 game.

They are if they think they are getting 2019 Chandler Jones. He isn't at his peak by any means. But he would be a huge upgrade on this line. 

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Personally,  I don't trust Engram to be anything more than an enigma.    He'd instantly become the Edmunds of the offense.    I was so glad the Bills dodged that bullet in the draft........hard to get excited about paying him for potential years later.

But I suppose if they swung Edmunds and #25 to Seattle for DK Metcalf and #40 as @MrEpsYtown  has suggested........why not if Engram is cheap.........then it would be just one enigma and you'd have quite the Ole Miss re-union with Knox, Engram and DK. 

Does Treadwell still underachieve at football or did he finally retire?

40 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

My point is that last year's offseason, Beane made it clear his focus was on re-signing our own.

This year he said "we’ll look to fill some spots from the outside as well as retain some of our guys"

I think that reflects a slightly different focus, but time will tell.

If your point is, don't expect Beane to be a big spender or make a "splash" signing, that's probably fair - he said "I wouldn’t see us being like, big spenders or anything like that" as well.

It's worth noting that last season, Beane did take on $10.7M of salary cap in 3 FA signings ($8.7M against last year's cap) as well as about 10 "lower tier" FA at or near vet minimum. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Does Treadwell still underachieve at football or did he finally retire?

He's still kicking around........had his best year in Jacksonville.........I was just kidding though,  I don't want Engram AT ALL...........and Treadwell is the anti-speed receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That is not really an accurate statement on last year. Beane re-signed Milano, Williams and Wallace. The first two were unrestricted free agents and he added Sanders who was an upgrade over Brown. That was four significant moves that all played big roles in 2021. 

You can't bash Beane for sitting out FA when he re-signed his own free agents. 

Not upgrading TE#2 and the pass rush during the season are reasonable criticisms. Waiting to see how the rookies, Epenesa, Ford, and Sweeney would perform were all reasonable decisions. Not doing anything after several games is where Beane failed us. 

To be completely honest, it’s not about money at all,” Jones said, via Darren Urban of the Cardinals’ website. “Where I am in my career, I’ve gotten contracts, I’ve gotten the Super Bowl, but I think scheme is huge. Or for me, winning more championships. I’ll say it again, it’s not about money. I will say I want to go to a place that maximizes my talents. There have been times in my career where I’d say I caught myself out of position. I do take the blame, but at the same time it’s like, ‘Hey, should I have been doing that?’ I have enough comfort where I am in my career and this age to say that.”

Jones noted that he flashed at certain points last season — like Week One where he had 5.0 sacks against the Titans. But he didn’t sustain that level of production, which may or may not have had something to do with the scheme.

“There are a lot of different things I have to think about,” Jones said. “This is a time I can really focus on myself and what fits for me. Being a free agent, in my 10, 11 years of playing, I’ve never had the opportunity to pick what scheme I wanted to be in or what kind of defense. I’ve always [had it] handed to me. Not complaining, but I was drafted to the Patriots, and then I was traded to the Arizona Cardinals.

“While I was on the Cardinals I had about three defensive coordinators, a lot of different defensive coaches, and I never had the opportunity to actually say, ‘Hey, this is what I want to do.’ I get to pick what scheme I’m going to be in, and that will be huge in my decision.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/11/chandler-jones-i-want-to-go-to-a-place-that-maximizes-my-talents/

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would not be surprised if we signed Chandler Jones, and I would be ok with it 100%. He also played for Syracuse so he knows the type of area already. I would be extremely pleased with him on this team. Make it happen Beane. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

FA officially starts on Wednesday March 16th at 4:00 P.M. However teams can start talking to FA's on Monday March 14th during the "legal tampering" period. Probably will hear lots of rumors on Monday.

FA starts Monday.  Wednesday is just when the league will stamp it.  Monday we will hear player “x” is signing with...

Tampering started at the combine. I don’t know why the league insists on the charade of “legal” tampering.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Engram is up and down for sure….. but I still think he can produce. What did Beasley do for the Cowboys? The Bills and Josh Allen could possibly get the best out of him, Engram when healthy and given time Allen creates, if Engram can lose the drops etc he could be a stud….. I’m optimistic.

6 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Engram is up and down for sure….. but I still think he can produce. What did Beasley do for the Cowboys? The Bills and Josh Allen could possibly get the best out of him, Engram when healthy and given time Allen creates, if Engram can lose the drops etc he could be a stud….. I’m optimistic.

Idk… he dropped passes from Jones. You think Allen’s lasers will be easier for him? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I hear that.  I rolled my eyes when I saw we liked him. Other than drops and inability as a blocker, I also worry about his injury history.  He’s not one of my top choices, but I think he could surprise us with his big play ability. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, TOboy said:

I’m totally fine with Engram as a slot/extra TE. I’m not ok with the $ amount floated with this rumour $7-8M. At $2-3M he’s worth it as a backup/reclamation project. 

Ian Thomas got $5M. Last year Smith got $12M and Everett $6M. Njoku who's had what, one good game in his career got the franchise tag. 

The going rate for bad TEs is crazy. $7M is the minimum he will get.

A little more info on Engram...if you're interested:

Interesting, balanced article on Engram from just before the 2021 season (from a Giants site)...with gifs to show blocking, receiving, and mistakes (of 2020).

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/big-blue-plus/new-york-giants-te-evan-engram-the-good-the-great-and-the-ugly

Per the writer (paraphrased): Engram has become a much better blocker, just can't hold up against bigger, powerful DEs due to size. But he is a willing blocker, good at the second level, and working hard on it. Offensive potential still sky high---deep ball effectiveness, but 2020 mistakes were brutal. Would be better as a specialty player than full-time TE. 

(To that last sentence...isn't that kind of what the Bills could/would do? Knox is your starter, primary TE/blocker. Engram would come in for special packages, or if in 12 personnel, he probably wouldn't have the difficult blocking assignment or would be going out on routes. You could kind of hide any blocking weaknesses if he is not the primary TE. And his "great" in the article is "Deep Usage"...isn't that what the Bills are looking for to exploit Josh's arm/deep throws...to open up defenses?)

Brief retrospect:

So, he came out in 2017 (23rd overall in the first round) and with Eli Manning as his QB, had 722 yards and 6 TDs in 15 games (was held out final week of season as a precaution due to a chest/rib injury).

2018: QB=Eli; missed 5 games (3 games with MCL sprain, and 2 games with a hamstring); 577 yards 3 TDs. (prorated to 16 games = 839 yards, 5 TDs).

2019: QB=Eli; missed 8 games (1 game sprained MCL, 7 games pedal foot sprain---happened Nov. 4th, team put him on IR); 467 yards, 3 TDs (prorated out to 16 games = 934 yards, 5 TDs).

[So, after missing 13 games over 2 seasons, he started to become the Giants' fans' whipping boy---like we always have one for the Bills. Then 2020 compounded the problem].

2020: NEW coach in Joe Judge; NEW OC in Jason Garrett; NEW QB is Daniel Jones; NEW offense. This was apparently a very rough season for Engram with drops and tips for interceptions at key points in the season. Giants' fans had had it at this point with Engram. He did manage to play all 16 games and make the Pro Bowl with 654 yards; but only 1 TD and the miscues. How much of that had to do with the coaching and QB change affecting him? The article I pasted added one nugget:

"Engram did not thrive with Jason Garrett’s vision as a tight end within his offense; the Y-Stick option is a staple of Garrett’s offense, and Engram lacked the concentration and hands to thrive within that role."

2021: QB=Jones; missed one week due to a calf strain. 408 yards, 3 TDs. Healthy year, but not a good statistical year. How much of that was due to the Giants just being awful (lack of opportunities)? But the drops and miscues from 2020 were not there, just 6 drops on the year. So, the really bad 2020 mistakes were not apparent this year.

So, he has only missed 1 game over the last two years and none of his injuries have been major. So, I don't think injuries are much of an issue really when discussing Engram right now. We wouldn't be asking him to be a primary blocker (for the most part). So, really it comes down to was his drop in production the last two years due to coaching and QB changes, mental issues (with the fan base dogging you constantly as their whipping boy---he's also one of the few visible players to have been around for the last 5 years of Giants' ineptitude...so an easy target). Giants record over the last 5 years = 22-59.

So, it comes down to do you trust him (regarding the mistakes---which only really seemed to be bad in 2020). I can understand how Giants fans feel, first the injuries, then a rough 2020, but as the article suggests, maybe he just needs a change of scenery (and I would add better QB play and an offense that suits his skills). He does still have dynamic skills (speed, YAC ability, deep-threat ability, etc.). He's still young at 26. I'm not saying he doesn't have some red flags, but this is also a TE with the talent-level to have a 1,000 yard season---there aren't a lot of those. He would never have those kind of stats with the Bills of course (too many other targets), but it is a rare skill set that is hard to ignore.

P.S. The linked article also mentioned two or three times, "Head coach Joe Judge has heaped praise on Engram’s leadership and work ethic" "Judge loves his character on and off the field." So, he would be a cultural, DNA fit with the Bills.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

15 minutes ago, TOboy said:

What does that even mean? Scheme? Role?

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That equals “never drop into coverage” imo.  

I'm not suggesting this is any kind of red flag, but it does remind me of when Rex Ryan came into Buffalo, and effectively ruined a top NFL defense by (among many other things) constantly dropping Mario Williams into coverage (zone coverage IIRC?). Mario, who had been so effective the previous year under Jim Schwartz, all but gave up playing for the Bills, and when they finally released him, we were happy to see him go.

Jones saying things like, "I get to pick what scheme I’m going to be in..." (quoted from the PFT article) might give some pause. He may be in a position to pick his team, but if/when he arrives in Buffalo, he is still going to be an employee, and he's still going to have to be a culture fit.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Process said:

Ian Thomas got $5M. Last year Smith got $12M and Everett $6M. Njoku who's had what, one good game in his career got the franchise tag. 

The going rate for bad TEs is crazy. $7M is the minimum he will get.

I’m out on Engram then. Only interested if he’s willing to take the Trubisky deal. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, folz said:

A little more info on Engram...if you're interested:

Interesting, balanced article on Engram from just before the 2021 season (from a Giants site)...with gifs to show blocking, receiving, and mistakes (of 2020).

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/big-blue-plus/new-york-giants-te-evan-engram-the-good-the-great-and-the-ugly

Per the writer (paraphrased): Engram has become a much better blocker, just can't hold up against bigger, powerful DEs due to size. But he is a willing blocker, good at the second level, and working hard on it. Offensive potential still sky high---deep ball effectiveness, but 2020 mistakes were brutal. Would be better as a specialty player than full-time TE. 

(To that last sentence...isn't that kind of what the Bills could/would do? Knox is your starter, primary TE/blocker. Engram would come in for special packages, or if in 12 personnel, he probably wouldn't have the difficult blocking assignment or would be going out on routes. You could kind of hide any blocking weaknesses if he is not the primary TE. And his "great" in the article is "Deep Usage"...isn't that what the Bills are looking for to exploit Josh's arm/deep throws...to open up defenses?)

Brief retrospect:

So, he came out in 2017 (23rd overall in the first round) and with Eli Manning as his QB, had 722 yards and 6 TDs in 15 games (was held out final week of season as a precaution due to a chest/rib injury).

2018: QB=Eli; missed 5 games (3 games with MCL sprain, and 2 games with a hamstring); 577 yards 3 TDs. (prorated to 16 games = 839 yards, 5 TDs).

2019: QB=Eli; missed 8 games (1 game sprained MCL, 7 games pedal foot sprain---happened Nov. 4th, team put him on IR); 467 yards, 3 TDs (prorated out to 16 games = 934 yards, 5 TDs).

[So, after missing 13 games over 2 seasons, he started to become the Giants' fans' whipping boy---like we always have one for the Bills. Then 2020 compounded the problem].

2020: NEW coach in Joe Judge; NEW OC in Jason Garrett; NEW QB is Daniel Jones; NEW offense. This was apparently a very rough season for Engram with drops and tips for interceptions at key points in the season. Giants' fans had had it at this point with Engram. He did manage to play all 16 games and make the Pro Bowl with 654 yards; but only 1 TD and the miscues. How much of that had to do with the coaching and QB change affecting him? The article I pasted added one nugget:

"Engram did not thrive with Jason Garrett’s vision as a tight end within his offense; the Y-Stick option is a staple of Garrett’s offense, and Engram lacked the concentration and hands to thrive within that role."

2021: QB=Jones; missed one week due to a calf strain. 408 yards, 3 TDs. Healthy year, but not a good statistical year. How much of that was due to the Giants just being awful (lack of opportunities)? But the drops and miscues from 2020 were not there, just 6 drops on the year. So, the really bad 2020 mistakes were not apparent this year.

So, he has only missed 1 game over the last two years and none of his injuries have been major. So, I don't think injuries are much of an issue really when discussing Engram right now. We wouldn't be asking him to be a primary blocker (for the most part). So, really it comes down to was his drop in production the last two years due to coaching and QB changes, mental issues (with the fan base dogging you constantly as their whipping boy---he's also one of the few visible players to have been around for the last 5 years of Giants' ineptitude...so an easy target). Giants record over the last 5 years = 22-59.

So, it comes down to do you trust him (regarding the mistakes---which only really seemed to be bad in 2020). I can understand how Giants fans feel, first the injuries, then a rough 2020, but as the article suggests, maybe he just needs a change of scenery (and I would add better QB play and an offense that suits his skills). He does still have dynamic skills (speed, YAC ability, deep-threat ability, etc.). He's still young at 26. I'm not saying he doesn't have some red flags, but this is also a TE with the talent-level to have a 1,000 yard season---there aren't a lot of those. He would never have those kind of stats with the Bills of course (too many other targets), but it is a rare skill set that is hard to ignore.

P.S. The linked article also mentioned two or three times, "Head coach Joe Judge has heaped praise on Engram’s leadership and work ethic" "Judge loves his character on and off the field." So, he would be a cultural, DNA fit with the Bills.

Good stuff, thanks. I personally think he could come here and be the "best version of himself".

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'm not suggesting this is any kind of red flag, but it does remind me of when Rex Ryan came into Buffalo, and effectively ruined a top NFL defense by (among many other things) constantly dropping Mario Williams into coverage (zone coverage IIRC?). Mario, who had been so effective the previous year under Jim Schwartz, all but gave up playing for the Bills, and when they finally released him, we were happy to see him go.

Jones saying things like, "I get to pick what scheme I’m going to be in..." (quoted from the PFT article) might give some pause. He may be in a position to pick his team, but if/when he arrives in Buffalo, he is still going to be an employee, and he's still going to have to be a culture fit.

I think you’re reading a bit too much into this.   Based on him saying he gets to pick his scheme, you suggest that we give some pause due to him having to be culture fit?  

Yeah I remember the Mario sitch.   After he was under contract and had been playing well, we had a coaching change and a scheme change that wasn’t conducive to his abilities.  This is not the same thing in the least.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.