2022 return of the red helmet.

Greg S

I think the Pats' newer uniforms are ugly - the old ones were much better.  Same for the Broncos.  That said, I really don't care that much about other cities' teams.  As to the Bills, I did not like the switch to red helmets at the time, but they grew on me and I got used to them.  While I still prefer the look of the current helmet, the Bills had their greatest success in the NFL with the red helmets.

Below is an image of what sits on the shelf behind my desk in my office.

bills_cropped.jpg

Edited by msw2112

14 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

As long as we adios the jinxy blue pants.

No such thing as a jinx.  They just lost wearing all white.  They lost SupervBowl XXV wearing all white.  Music City Miracle - all white.  I could name other playoff losses too.  But Blue pants...  Come on now.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

No such thing as a jinx.  They just lost wearing all white.  They lost SupervBowl XXV wearing all white.  Music City Miracle - all white.  I could name other playoff losses too.  But Blue pants...  Come on now.

Oh really, no such thing as a jinx? It's not just that I'm a little-stitious, this is based on real scientific "analysis", look:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/10/27/22746974/analysis-buffalo-bills-record-by-uniform-colors-shows-clear-correlation

Blue pants = jinx. Facts! 😉 🤞 🍀 

18 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

I dont know, this looks pretty spectacular to me....

3814a19b83d6007c5281b46594939664.jpg

This is a very good looking uniform, anyone who disagrees is wrong, 😁👍

• Dislike 1

9 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Oh really, no such thing as a jinx? It's not just that I'm a little-stitious, this is based on real scientific "analysis", look:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/10/27/22746974/analysis-buffalo-bills-record-by-uniform-colors-shows-clear-correlation

Blue pants = jinx. Facts! 😉 🤞 🍀 

LoL.

No such thing.   

On 2/21/2022 at 11:39 AM, Greg S said:

I personally like the white helmet best but it looks like in 2022 teams can wear a 2nd helmet.

(18) uSTADIUM on Twitter: "Throw-BACK in 2022. The second-helmet rule will start this season and teams can now rock an extra helmet, which means we will see the return of the #Buccaneers Creamsicles, Pat the #Patriots and many more. Comment a throwback uniform you hope to see in 2022. https://t.co/CjVTZO9LMg" / Twitter

During 90s throwback home game have Scott Norwood be Legend of the Game leading the charge. 🙄

I’m not a big fan of the never-ending nostalgic fawning over the 90s Bills and the 70s Sabres.  It was great at the time, but I’m more than ready to embrace success of the current team without reference or comparisons to Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, etc. It’s ancient history. 
Don’t care much about reunions either.  
live for today  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/21/2022 at 11:57 AM, Greg S said:

If they do wear the red helmet I hope they do it with the blue over white or white over blue. Red helmet with the all reds or blues would blow IMHO.

Dude,

you didn’t get the memo, blue pants = loss.  I’m all about the blue over white.  I like the idea of the red helmet, but with one alternate, means the throwback white with the standing Buffalo is out.

14 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Dude,

you didn’t get the memo, blue pants = loss.  I’m all about the blue over white.  I like the idea of the red helmet, but with one alternate, means the throwback white with the standing Buffalo is out.

Oh please there are lots of reasons the Bills lose and the color of the jersey and pants isn't one of them. I have seen the Bills lose plenty of times over the years wearing blue over white. Should we get rid of that look as well.

18 hours ago, SoMAn said:

During 90s throwback home game have Scott Norwood be Legend of the Game leading the charge. 🙄

I’m not a big fan of the never-ending nostalgic fawning over the 90s Bills and the 70s Sabres.  It was great at the time, but I’m more than ready to embrace success of the current team without reference or comparisons to Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, etc. It’s ancient history. 
Don’t care much about reunions either.  
live for today  

Well aren't you a breath of fresh air.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

That does not look good what so ever. 

I do like the blue face mask better than I thought I would. 

Red, white, and blue. America's colors. It's certainly a lot better than the POS looking all blues and reds.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:15 AM, purple haze said:

Yeah, but those blue pants are still kind of ugly.  They were ugly back when O.J. wore them and they're still eyesores when they wear them now.   Same with the red helmets.  It was jarring when they switched in 1984.  It looked like they bought them at the Champion outlet store and pieced together some uniforms for a part time semi pro team.  I slowly adjusted to seeing them, but can't say that they ever looked good.  The white helmets, be it the charging buff or the standing guy, just look good and look right.

Nothing was worse than the combo of red helmets, blue pants and white jerseys.  When I remember that look, I think of Rodney Bellinger, Speedy Neal and Donald Wilson.  Maybe great guys for all I know, but awful teams in horrible uniforms.  Yuck!

Edited by cwater10
  • Agree 1

On 2/21/2022 at 3:02 PM, Greg S said:

It was but the white over blue with red helmet looks really good.

download.jpg

Hmm...  a Jim Kelly head sewn onto a Joe Ferguson body.  Ugly uniform, but hey, would have been a damn good QB and probably won a couple of Super Bowls (1980, 1981).  Although 1980 would have needed to sew on the ankle as well.

Edited by cwater10

5 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Hmm...  a Jim Kelly head sewn onto a Joe Ferguson body.  Ugly uniform, but hey, would have been a damn good QB and probably won a couple of Super Bowls (1980, 1981).  Although 1980 would have needed to sew on the ankle as well.

That playoff loss to the Chargers in 80 was my first devastating loss with the Bills. They weren't very good in the 70's so this was it. They probably would have beaten Oakland in the AFCCG at home. They had already beaten them 24-7 earlier in the year and the only score the Raiders got that day was off a pick 6. The 80 Super Bowl probably is the Eagles vs Bills if the Bills could have won at SD. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Greg S said:

That playoff loss to the Chargers in 80 was my first devastating loss with the Bills. They weren't very good in the 70's so this was it. They probably would have beaten Oakland in the AFCCG at home. They had already beaten them 24-7 earlier in the year and the only score the Raiders got that day was off a pick 6. The 80 Super Bowl probably is the Eagles vs Bills if the Bills could have won at SD. 

I hear you.  I was at that Raider game (beautiful day!)  That 1980 loss was a gut buster.  It was to the Bills what the Carolina Hurricane loss was to Sabres in 2006.  If not for awful untimely injury...   THAT was the one that got away (and now, for totally different reason, maybe this year too?)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, eball said:

Well aren't you a breath of fresh air.

BTW - great avatar Eball!

At the risk of sounding overly negative, my comment about red helmets and the never-ending fawning by over 90s Bills and 70s Sabres by AARP-member Buffalonians

wasn't meant to disparage. It was an observation. Clinging to the past is just such a Buffalo thing.  It's quaint, though a little weird.

It's nice to reflect occasionally, but I prefer to leave the past in the past.

In a scene from The Sopranos, the old gang was in Florida reminiscing about past exploits. Bored with it all, Tony Soprano said, " 'remember when' is the lowest form of conversation".  Agree.

Whenever I'd go back for a visit Buffalo, years after I moved south, I could walk into the same gin mill or pizzeria and see the same people with the same winter jackets sitting on the same bar stool having the same conversations. It was like groundhog day. A WNY time warp. Half of the girls I'd see in public would still have their 70's-style  wing-front bangs, 80's mullets, or combination of the two. Their mothers kept local 'beauty parlors' busy maintaining their Alice-from-the-Brady Bunch hairstyle they'd sported since 1959.  Dad still wore his 3 piece suit from Riverside Men's Shop for his sales associate position. Their never married brother still has his Buffalo Evening News cartoon poster of Bob McAdoo hanging in the basement, stapled to a faux-wood paneled wall, just behind the washer and dryer.

Change isn't easily embraced.  Just say the word 'dome' if you need proof. 

ps - don't take this seriously

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

BTW - great avatar Eball!

At the risk of sounding overly negative, my comment about red helmets and the never-ending fawning by over 90s Bills and 70s Sabres by AARP-member Buffalonians

wasn't meant to disparage. It was an observation. Clinging to the past is just such a Buffalo thing.  It's quaint, though a little weird.

It's nice to reflect occasionally, but I prefer to leave the past in the past.

In a scene from The Sopranos, the old gang was in Florida reminiscing about past exploits. Bored with it all, Tony Soprano said, " 'remember when' is the lowest form of conversation".  Agree.

Whenever I'd go back for a visit Buffalo, years after I moved south, I could walk into the same gin mill or pizzeria and see the same people with the same winter jackets sitting on the same bar stool having the same conversations. It was like groundhog day. A WNY time warp. Half of the girls I'd see in public would still have their 70's-style  wing-front bangs, 80's mullets, or combination of the two. Their mothers kept local 'beauty parlors' busy maintaining their Alice-from-the-Brady Bunch hairstyle they'd sported since 1959.  Dad still wore his 3 piece suit from Riverside Men's Shop for his sales associate position. Their never married brother still has his Buffalo Evening News cartoon poster of Bob McAdoo hanging in the basement, stapled to a faux-wood paneled wall, just behind the washer and dryer.

Change isn't easily embraced.  Just say the word 'dome' if you need proof. 

ps - don't take this seriously

You've stated the risk.  What was the reward for sounding overly negative?

17 hours ago, cwater10 said:

Yeah, but those blue pants are still kind of ugly.  They were ugly back when O.J. wore them and they're still eyesores when they wear them now.   Same with the red helmets.  It was jarring when they switched in 1984.  It looked like they bought them at the Champion outlet store and pieced together some uniforms for a part time semi pro team.  I slowly adjusted to seeing them, but can't say that they ever looked good.  The white helmets, be it the charging buff or the standing guy, just look good and look right.

Nothing was worse than the combo of red helmets, blue pants and white jerseys.  When I remember that look, I think of Rodney Bellinger, Speedy Neal and Donald Wilson.  Maybe great guys for all I know, but awful teams in horrible uniforms.  Yuck!

I like the Blue pants.  I hated the red helmets at first, but I grew to like them.  The red jerseys?  Never!

On 2/21/2022 at 8:39 AM, Greg S said:

I personally like the white helmet best but it looks like in 2022 teams can wear a 2nd helmet.

(18) uSTADIUM on Twitter: "Throw-BACK in 2022. The second-helmet rule will start this season and teams can now rock an extra helmet, which means we will see the return of the #Buccaneers Creamsicles, Pat the #Patriots and many more. Comment a throwback uniform you hope to see in 2022. https://t.co/CjVTZO9LMg" / Twitter

Isn’t the standing Buffalo the normal throwback helmet we see?

On 2/21/2022 at 10:39 AM, Greg S said:

I have always said we don't get back to the superbowl until we wear the red helmets!

On 2/25/2022 at 9:52 PM, purple haze said:

Under no circumstances.  Yuck.  

Agreed. I don't know if the league won't allow them to do this but I would like to see the Bills give the red over white a try. I think that would be a pretty good look. Same for white over red.

8 hours ago, Sgt. Ski said:

I have always said we don't get back to the superbowl until we wear the red helmets!

Given the results of those Super Bowls I prefer playing in the big game with the white helmet. The white helmet looks better and the charging Buffalo stands out more than on the red helmet.

• Agree 1

On 2/21/2022 at 9:19 AM, Beast said:

JMO, but now that different colored helmets will be used, the floodgates will open with different unis, helmets, etc., ala the NCAA, all in the name of the almighty dollar.

I agree, I think teams want to bring back the 90s uniforms. Franchises are very aware fans love nostalgia especially us 90s babies. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.