Rams - opening game of season Bills / Cowboys most likely

CorkScrewHill

1 hour ago, The Avenger said:

Exactly. This isn't about it being  a good game - it's all about big TV ratings to start the season and that means small market teams like Buffalo are at a huge disadvantage. Buffalo vs. Rams may be the game the fans feels would be the best game, but Dallas or San Fran would be bigger TV markets and that's all that matters.

This changes a bit if Buffalo can have sustained success and grows their national fanbase like we did in the 90s and KC is doing now, but that's the only time small market teams figure into any of this... 

Games like Bills Cowboys where Josh did heroics show that ratings when Bills involved in non-sleeper game does not depend upon size of Buffalo Market.  Same with Bills fans dominating stadiums against Jaguars and Panthers.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

The Bills do play the NFC North next season and the game against the Rams is the 17th game. The Bills and Cowboys don't play next year unless its in the Super Bowl.

After re-reading this post (after coffee) I realized I took it out of context.. .. 

4 hours ago, CSBill said:

America is tired of the Cowboys. Cross them off. Maybe the BIlls, but 49ers, or Green Bay, would also be interesting. And I would not count out the Patriots. However, trying to be unbiased here, I do think the Rams vs. Bills would have a strong national appeal.

They play GB at GB .. so that is off the list. They do not play the Patriots at all next year. We play the NFC North next year, but the 17th game addition for us is the Rams as the winner of their division.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Yep.  Bills typically have little primetime appeal to a national audience.   But we will see.   The KC game made the Bills a heck of a lot of fans.   

I think that has changed now over the last few years. Going back to the Thanksgiving day game against the Cowboys. The Bills have been on primetime a lot over the past few seasons and have mostly played well. Allen is considered one of the best and most exciting players to watch. My guess is 4 primetime games next year with them also getting the national game on Sunday afternoons a bunch of times.

4 hours ago, CSBill said:

America is tired of the Cowboys. Cross them off. Maybe the BIlls, but 49ers, or Green Bay, would also be interesting. And I would not count out the Patriots. However, trying to be unbiased here, I do think the Rams vs. Bills would have a strong national appeal.

The Cowboys aren't "The Cowboys!" anymore. The mystique is mostly gone. Josh is fast becoming a superstar off the field as well as on. I'll bet on the Bills.

• Disagree 1

It's not going to be the Bills and you'll hear the same rationale from the NFL front office schedule makers that they gave for not having Bucs/Bills opener last year. (i.e. it's a better option for a midseason type of game)

More I think about it I'm not sure there has ever been an interconference opening game since they started doing the Thursday night format. If there has someone please remind me.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Cowboys aren't "The Cowboys!" anymore. The mystique is mostly gone. Josh is fast becoming a superstar off the field as well as on. I'll bet on the Bills.

The Cowboys are the still the Cowboys when it comes to ratings. That is why they get a lot of primetime games even in years when the team isn't that great.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Games like Bills Cowboys where Josh did heroics show that ratings when Bills involved in non-sleeper game does not depend upon size of Buffalo Market.  Same with Bills fans dominating stadiums against Jaguars and Panthers.

Sadly I disagree. If you include teams from major markets and/or large national followings like Dallas or Green Bay you're guaranteed to get people tuning in, especially before the season has started and everybody is starting with a clean slate. Whether we like it or not, Buffalo is a small market team with a limited national following. I think we are heading in a good direction because the Bills are a good team and Josh is really fun to watch, but we don't have the guaranteed viewers that a Dallas or San Francisco would add to an opening game against the Rams. They can plug Buffalo in later in the season once they are contenders to be tops in the AFC and have a lot to play for but out of the gate week 1 I'm betting they go with the guaranteed bigger market team.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yet the Cowboys constantly got a bunch of Week 1 Sunday night games even when they weren't real playoff contenders.

Cowboys fans are everywhere, and they get good television ratings.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It really could be any of those teams and the ratings will still be huge because it’s the first game. I could see them saving Bills-Rams for SNF or MNF.

Tampa/Dallas was an even bigger ratings matchup and they chose that for the opener this past season.

11 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

The Rams as the winner of the Super Bowl get first game to open season at home PFTalk conjecture is that the most compelling games are Cowboys or Bills. I think 49ers could also factor in. In general I would love to get that one out of the way and gives 10 days to prep for second game is season

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/14/cowboys-bills-strong-candidates-to-open-2022-season-against-rams/

i made another thread..

Bills st SB winner to open the season.

they did Cowboys last year so unlikely this year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Started a thread weeks ago predicting the Bills would be the Thursday night season opener.

If it's not Bills vs. Rams that night, it'll be us going to KC on Sunday Night.

I could see them saving Bills at Chiefs for later in the year. I am guessing the Bengals probably get SNF since they were in the Super Bowl. The Bills went to the AFCCG last year and everyone (myself included) thought they would open week 1 on primetime. Look what happened Steelers at Bills 1:00

9 hours ago, chongli said:

Agreed with Buffalo. I also think the NFL would be mindful of Kroenke's complaints of 49'ers fans taking over the stadium, so I doubt it's SF. And it's been over 10 years since there was a conference championship game rematch for the opener.

Over on the 506 forums, the Bills are the overwhelming favorites. Some have also said if Rodgers goes to Denver, they could also be in play (as you stated too).

[registration and moderator approval required:]

https://506forums.com/index.php?topic=24459.0

Here are the nine choices for the Rams' opener, btw:

Seattle

SF

Arizona

Dallas

Carolina

Atlanta

Denver

Las Vegas

Buffalo

Won't be Dallas bc they just opened the season.  

Arizona and Seattle might have new QBs.

SF is the better choice of the 3 bc it's a championship rematch.  

Trey Lance opens the season at the Rams.

Bills at Chiefs will be the SNF opener bc it's the opener America deserves.  

Edited by Big Blitz

They will be raising their Super Bowl banner and I think the league will want to avoid having the stadium completely overtaken by visiting fans as much as possible.  Wouldn't be surprised if they go with a team that doesn't have a massive following... maybe Carolina?

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The problem is there are not many compelling NFC matchups because the NFC kinda stinks. If it isn't Rams v Niners then it has to be an AFC team IMO. 

I think you are much more likely to see Dallas or Arizona followed by SF all well before Buffalo.  I think the Bills would be on par with Seattle and Atlanta as follow up games in that time slot.

The opening night is about celebrating the team and most of the time they choose a good match-up that the defending SB champ should beat (15-3) since 2004.  I am revising my thoughts and I think Seattle and Atlanta both move higher assuming both QBs stay put - as they give potential QB match-ups, but still give the Rams a huge advantage.

I think Buffalo is a prime SNF or MNF matchup in LA.

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's not going to be the Bills and you'll hear the same rationale from the NFL front office schedule makers that they gave for not having Bucs/Bills opener last year. (i.e. it's a better option for a midseason type of game)

More I think about it I'm not sure there has ever been an interconference opening game since they started doing the Thursday night format. If there has someone please remind me.

Twice - 2007 and 2016.  About 10% of the time 2 out of 19 I believe since the defending SB champs started on Thursday.

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Bills have won as many playoff games in last 2 years (3) as Cowboys have totaled since 1998!  How 'bout dem Cowgirls?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think you are much more likely to see Dallas or Arizona followed by SF all well before Buffalo.  I think the Bills would be on par with Seattle and Atlanta as follow up games in that time slot.

The opening night is about celebrating the team and most of the time they choose a good match-up that the defending SB champ should beat (15-3) since 2004.  I am revising my thoughts and I think Seattle and Atlanta both move higher assuming both QBs stay put - as they give potential QB match-ups, but still give the Rams a huge advantage.

I think Buffalo is a prime SNF or MNF matchup in LA.

Twice - 2007 and 2016.  About 10% of the time 2 out of 19 I believe since the defending SB champs started on Thursday.

Who are LAs other out of conference games? We are their 17th game aren't we? I think they play the AFC West, right? Are either KC or LAC home games?

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Who are LAs other out of conference games? We are their 17th game aren't we? I think they play the AFC West, right? Are either KC or LAC home games?

No their home AFC west games are Denver/LV.

Don’t see either of those as big games - unless Rodgers goes to Denver.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/14/2022 at 3:21 AM, CaptnCoke11 said:

I think we all know who will be playing in that game…

In the words of Clark Griswold I wouldn't be more stunned if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet if the Bills are the team. I just can't see it not being Dallas.

The last time the NFL chose to do an opener AFC-NFC was Panthers Broncos in 2016. I think in general they don't like mixing AFC NFC for the opening game.

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

In the words of Clark Griswold I wouldn't be more stunned if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet if the Bills are the team. I just can't see it not being Dallas.

The last time the NFL chose to do an opener AFC-NFC was Panthers Broncos in 2016. I think in general they don't like mixing AFC NFC for the opening game.

I would say Dallas and SF are the favorites. Don't rule out the Cardinals. Good team who is also a divisional rival. Bills will open on Sunday at 1:00 probably against the Jets for the 10,000 time.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

This reminds me of the threads we get around here now and again discussing how a Super Bowl is very likely to come to WNY.

LMFAO

I doubt the Bills will be the opening night game, simply b/c we're the Bills.

Get over it.

While I have nothing against primetime games as its nice to see the Bills get national attention, I actually prefer 1:00 for the Bills. Maybe that's what I am used to but 1:00 feels like Bills time. That said I expect the Bills to get 4 prime time games next season. I would say the KC game and one of the NE games are a lock for primetime.

7 minutes ago, Greg S said:

While I have nothing against primetime games as its nice to see the Bills get national attention, I actually prefer 1:00 for the Bills. Maybe that's what I am used to but 1:00 feels like Bills time. That said I expect the Bills to get 4 prime time games next season. I would say the KC game and one of the NE games are a lock for primetime.

They created two generations thanks to the drought which 1pm Sunday was our thing. I agree I like national attention but out of 17 games give me 13-14 at 1pm and just 3-4 not at 1pm. 

I swear to god if the Bills play on Thanksgiving again Ima lose my mind lol. I just want to eat in peace

Just now, corta765 said:

They created two generations thanks to the drought which 1pm Sunday was our thing. I agree I like national attention but out of 17 games give me 13-14 at 1pm and just 3-4 not at 1pm. 

I swear to god if the Bills play on Thanksgiving again Ima lose my mind lol. I just want to eat in peace

For me I get up at 6:00 A.M. to get ready for work so those night games make the next day a drag. I deal with it like everyone else has to. I agree with you give me the majority of their games at 1:00.

I’d put my money on the bills playing opening night against the Rams. Next most likely opponents and really probably the only possible opponents would be Cowboys and 49ers.

There’s some interesting data in these opening night games some favor the bills as the opponent some don’t.

The Super Bowl winner has hosted the opening Thursday night game every season since the 2004 season with the exception of the 2019 season. For the 2019 season to celebrate the NFL is 100 year anniversary they did it interdivision matchup between Green Bay and Chicago.

In the other 17 games to open the season since 2004 there have only been to enter division matchups. Both games featured NFC East teams.

So as great a game as rams versus 49ers would be the data would say that is unlikely to be the match up.

However, working against the bills is that over the same 17 game sample only twice has the opening night game featured and out of conference matchup.

These two statistics would favor the Cowboys as being the likely match up with the Rams. But since the Cowboys opened the season last year on the road against the Super Bowl champs I just don’t really see that being likely.

I think we will either get our third out of conference match up or our third division matchup.

We are planning on going to the Rams game in LA regardless of when it is played so I’m definitely curious if it’ll end up being the opening game. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/14/2022 at 3:34 AM, YoloinOhio said:

It really could be any of those teams and the ratings will still be huge because it’s the first game. I could see them saving Bills-Rams for SNF or MNF.

History tells us they’re not gonna just pick some scrub team like the Panthers or Falcons though. Cowboys are really the only intra-conference game opponent that is decent. But just seems too unlikely they would be picked two years in a row.History tells us they’re not gonna just pick some scrub team like the Panthers or Falcons though. Cowboys are really the only intra-conference game opponent that is decent. But just seems too unlikely they would be picked two years in a row.

We are due for either another divisional match up or out of conference game.

Rogers to Denver is the only wild card in play.

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

History tells us they’re not gonna just pick some scrub team like the Panthers or Falcons though. Cowboys are really the only intra-conference game opponent that is decent. But just seems too unlikely they would be picked two years in a row.History tells us they’re not gonna just pick some scrub team like the Panthers or Falcons though. Cowboys are really the only intra-conference game opponent that is decent. But just seems too unlikely they would be picked two years in a row.

We are due for either another divisional match up or out of conference game.

Rogers to Denver is the only wild card in play.

If the league doesn't want it to be an embarrassing night for the Rams they might pick the Cardinals. A divisional rival who is a good team but whose fanbase wouldn't take over the stadium and make the Rams feel like the road team. The Cowboys, 49ers, and Bills fans would take over the place. Imagine the Rams celebrating the unveiling of their championship banner and the crowd mostly booing them. 

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

You know they are gonna get the home night game now right? Thanks a lot man!

9 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

You know they are gonna get the home night game now right? Thanks a lot man!

hahaha that would figure. Actually the Dallas game was fun we watched it with my wifes family that thanksgiving and had a blast. Last years game though was no bueno

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

Josh dominates on Thanksgiving.  Replace Detroit with Buffalo from here on out. Start a new tradition. 

On 2/14/2022 at 9:07 AM, The Avenger said:

Exactly. This isn't about it being  a good game - it's all about big TV ratings to start the season and that means small market teams like Buffalo are at a huge disadvantage. Buffalo vs. Rams may be the game the fans feels would be the best game, but Dallas or San Fran would be bigger TV markets and that's all that matters.

They may have bigger TV markets, but Buffalo can bring in bigger ratings....

ESPN’s Monday Night Football Featuring New England at Buffalo Registers 15 Million Viewers; Most-Watched MNF Game Since Season Opener

On 2/14/2022 at 4:29 AM, CSBill said:

Are they? It seems people never get tired of seeing them fail 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.