Rams - opening game of season Bills / Cowboys most likely

CorkScrewHill

20 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I’d put my money on the bills playing opening night against the Rams. Next most likely opponents and really probably the only possible opponents would be Cowboys and 49ers.

There’s some interesting data in these opening night games some favor the bills as the opponent some don’t.

The Super Bowl winner has hosted the opening Thursday night game every season since the 2004 season with the exception of the 2019 season. For the 2019 season to celebrate the NFL is 100 year anniversary they did it interdivision matchup between Green Bay and Chicago.

In the other 17 games to open the season since 2004 there have only been to enter division matchups. Both games featured NFC East teams.

So as great a game as rams versus 49ers would be the data would say that is unlikely to be the match up.

However, working against the bills is that over the same 17 game sample only twice has the opening night game featured and out of conference matchup.

These two statistics would favor the Cowboys as being the likely match up with the Rams. But since the Cowboys opened the season last year on the road against the Super Bowl champs I just don’t really see that being likely.

I think we will either get our third out of conference match up or our third division matchup.

We are planning on going to the Rams game in LA regardless of when it is played so I’m definitely curious if it’ll end up being the opening game. 

Good post, and good research. I agree it will be either Buffalo or SF vs. LA, but I don't put it past the NFL to feature the Cowboys again; although Fox will fight hard for the game, since if Brady actually stays retired and Rodgers leaves Green Bay, this will be their best game.

One minor quibble: in 2013, the defending SB champ Baltimore did not host the game, but went away to Denver to play it, due to a scheduling conflict.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

I still don't think we'll get the opener.  In fact, I thought we stood a better shot at being Tampa's opener last year than we do and being LA's next year.  I'm thinking it will be the 49ers.

I say one of the Cowboys, 49ers, or Cardinals will be the opponent. 

46 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

I still don't think we'll get the opener.  In fact, I thought we stood a better shot at being Tampa's opener last year than we do and being LA's next year.  I'm thinking it will be the 49ers.

Not with Dallas on their home schedule. It would unquestionably be Dallas again this year if they hadn't just played the game last year. It will either be the Bills or any of the divisional opponents. Someone actually made a great point that Kroenke could demand the team be one that will not travel as well as the Bills or 49ers. I could see it be the Cardinals with that factored in. Or they could really throw them a bone and give them them the Panthers or Falcons. All of those match ups would be going against the data we have though.

On 2/14/2022 at 3:13 AM, CorkScrewHill said:

The Rams as the winner of the Super Bowl get first game to open season at home PFTalk conjecture is that the most compelling games are Cowboys or Bills. I think 49ers could also factor in. In general I would love to get that one out of the way and gives 10 days to prep for second game is season

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/14/cowboys-bills-strong-candidates-to-open-2022-season-against-rams/

When the opponents were finalized that was my thought as well. That is the longest road trip of the year. Lets get it week 1 so it doesn't interfere with prep, and a long week after the trip back. Every other flight is 3 hours or less. 

Also after that KC game, it would be nice to absolutely destroy LAR to start the season. I think even KC fans would be behind us on this one. 

TBH, I don't want to open the season against the Rams.  

We all know that we should have closed the season with a win over the Rams.  I don't need to be reminded of that constantly heading up to week 1.  I want to wake up Monday morning happy about being 1-0 after trouncing the Jets or whoever in a laugher, not spending my Friday playing what-might-have-been after beating the Rams.  

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Also after that KC game, it would be nice to absolutely destroy LAR to start the season. I think even KC fans would be behind us on this one. 

That would be nice, but I think they would celebrate any Bills loss, as it means potentially getting ahead of us. Plus, they don't have any beef with the Rams, AFAIK. Now...maybe Cincinnati would be happy with a Bills win, lol.

Edited by chongli

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

TBH, I don't want to open the season against the Rams.  

We all know that we should have closed the season with a win over the Rams.  I don't need to be reminded of that constantly heading up to week 1.  I want to wake up Monday morning happy about being 1-0 after trouncing the Jets or whoever in a laugher, not spending my Friday playing what-might-have-been after beating the Rams.  

If the Bills beat the Rams you will wonder what could have been no matter when they play. Because the Rams won the SB, the narrative nationally is absolutely going to be "This could have been the SB." and "The Bills have to be thinking about making amends for the KC game heading into LA". That isn't changing in week 1 or 4. Unless of course the Rams absolutely suck next year and we play them week 15. (Which is unlikely)

If the Bills beat the Jets, you will be happy the next day. 

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not with Dallas on their home schedule. It would unquestionably be Dallas again this year if they hadn't just played the game last year. It will either be the Bills or any of the divisional opponents. Someone actually made a great point that Kroenke could demand the team be one that will not travel as well as the Bills or 49ers. I could see it be the Cardinals with that factored in. Or they could really throw them a bone and give them them the Panthers or Falcons. All of those match ups would be going against the data we have though.

I would add opening night is always a high ratings game. Why sacrifice the Bills against the Rams which you can use week 10 when some teams may be down when you could put a weaker opponent in especially non AFC. Mike North brought this up last year on WGR talking to Sal about the schedule and strategically it makes perfect sense. Your best matchups you want spread for high ratings and week 1 you do not need to sacrifice one of those when its already a known quantity. Assuming Russell Wilson stays in SEA that is an easy game to put week 1 and still have competitive game with some marquee appeal.

Edited by corta765

9 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I would add opening night is always a high ratings game. Why sacrifice the Bills against the Rams which you can use week 10 when some teams may be down when you could put a weaker opponent in especially non AFC. Mike North brought this up last year on WGR talking to Sal about the schedule and strategically it makes perfect sense. Your best matchups you want spread for high ratings and week 1 you do not need to sacrifice one of those when its already a known quantity. Assuming Russell Wilson stays in SEA that is an easy game to put week 1 and still have competitive game with some marquee appeal.

I disagree with that thought though. Just go back and look at the history of the opening night games. Far more often than not the NFL is putting two very good teams on the scheduleI disagree with that thought though. Just go back and look at the history of the opening night games. Far more often than not the NFL is Is scheduling a good match up between two top teams. 

If they were concerned about saving a high ratings game for later they never would’ve scheduled the Cowboys against the Bucs last year.

I think if it ends up being any team other than the bills, cowboys or 49ers we will know that Krienke  insisted it not be a team that would take over the stadium.

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I disagree with that thought though. Just go back and look at the history of the opening night games. Far more often than not the NFL is putting two very good teams on the scheduleI disagree with that thought though. Just go back and look at the history of the opening night games. Far more often than not the NFL is Is scheduling a good match up between two top teams. 

If they were concerned about saving a high ratings game for later they never would’ve scheduled the Cowboys against the Bucs last year.

I think if it ends up being any team other than the bills, cowboys or 49ers we will know that Krienke  insisted it not be a team that would take over the stadium.

Seahawks are still a high ratings game. Literally the dude who is the head of NFL scheduling said the league looks at the ratings and know opening night is a guarantee last year. Of course they are not going to throw a dog in there either, but the Bills Rams will be a game every network wants. Putting it week 1 is straight up foolish compared to later in the season when sometimes the SNF or MNF matchups have the possibility of being weak. Rams Bills is a guarantee for a good matchup.

Edited by corta765

18 minutes ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

I am about to be that guy. I really hope we don’t get that game. I would rather have those two extra days to prepare for our opener and it not be against the defending Super Bowl champs. Maybe I am just a little sensitive from losing to the Steelers at home in September.

I hear you. Me, personally, I'd rather play that Thursday and have more time to prepare for game 2, especially since there are already two weeks plus between the final pre-season game and opening Sunday.

38 minutes ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

I am about to be that guy. I really hope we don’t get that game. I would rather have those two extra days to prepare for our opener and it not be against the defending Super Bowl champs. Maybe I am just a little sensitive from losing to the Steelers at home in September.

2 days? You have 3 months to get ready for the opener.

I like facing tough opponents week 1 because week 1 is unpredictable. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

On 2/16/2022 at 1:36 AM, corta765 said:

In the words of Clark Griswold I wouldn't be more stunned if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet if the Bills are the team. I just can't see it not being Dallas.

The last time the NFL chose to do an opener AFC-NFC was Panthers Broncos in 2016. I think in general they don't like mixing AFC NFC for the opening game.

I gotta feeling you might be wrong here… The scarcity of AFC-NFC match ups   doesn’t necessarily mean the NFL  “ dont like mixing it”… there are less opportunities for this to be the game given there are less numbers of these inter conference games to choose from in comparison to conference match ups..

4 hours ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

I don't think we get the game either. I think it will be between the Cowboys, 49ers and Cardinals. With that said it probably would be in the Bills best interest to get the champs week 1. They could be suffering from a Super Bowl hangover. Plus you know Bills fans would takeover Sofi. Their probably would be more Bills fans then Rams fans at the game. Also going to LA in early Sept is still summertime. Bills fans could make a vacation out of it. Go to the beach and do others things besides going to the game.

Edited by Greg S

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

These predictions are always wrong.

I personally think an east team playing a west team doesn't draw all that well.

I think it will be SF.

I think we get the Jets week 1 for a 1:00 game. Probably at MetLife since we opened at home last year. Plus the Jets are always a safe pick. The Bills have opened against them more than any other opponent.

• Vomit 1

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I gotta feeling you might be wrong here… The scarcity of AFC-NFC match ups   doesn’t necessarily mean the NFL  “ dont like mixing it”… there are less opportunities for this to be the game given there are less numbers of these inter conference games to choose from in comparison to conference match ups..

The biggest indicator for the game to happen seems to be Buffalo being one of the few good non division games for LA and Dallas played last year opening night. Based off some stuff that came out yesterday it looks like the Bills are the front runner for those reasons to start opening night.

15 hours ago, Greg S said:

I don't think we get the game either. I think it will be between the Cowboys, 49ers and Cardinals. With that said it probably would be in the Bills best interest to get the champs week 1. They could be suffering from a Super Bowl hangover. Plus you know Bills fans would takeover Sofi. Their probably would be more Bills fans then Rams fans at the game. Also going to LA in early Sept is still summertime. Bills fans could make a vacation out of it. Go to the beach and do others things besides going to the game.

Decent points. I would probably be one of the fans visiting Sofi for the first time if that were to happen. I just tend to think Thursday games throw a curve ball on team performance. On the other hand I have a feeling the team is going to be chomping at the bit to get back out there and make a statement after this last season. 

8 hours ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

Decent points. I would probably be one of the fans visiting Sofi for the first time if that were to happen. I just tend to think Thursday games throw a curve ball on team performance. On the other hand I have a feeling the team is going to be chomping at the bit to get back out there and make a statement after this last season. 

I agree about the Thursday game throwing a curve ball when its coming off a short week. But Thursday week 1 isn't a short week. If the Bills win then they have 10 days until their next game. So playing on Thursday week 1 could be more of an advantage than disadvantage.

Edited by Greg S
  • Agree 1

On 2/23/2022 at 7:39 AM, Greg S said:

I agree about the Thursday game throwing a curve ball when its coming off a short week. But Thursday week 1 isn't a short week. If the Bills win then they have 10 days until their next game. So playing on Thursday week 1 could be more of an advantage than disadvantage.

It’s definitely an advantage if this is the Bills only TNF game. First it avoids the short game week since it is week 1. Second it gets the cross country trip out of the way on a Thursday without impeding on the next game week. A Sunday or Monday night game for Buffalo in LA would suck for the next week. 

On 2/22/2022 at 7:38 AM, Back2Buff said:

These predictions are always wrong.

I personally think an east team playing a west team doesn't draw all that well.

I think it will be SF.

The season opening game will draw well no matter what. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s definitely an advantage if this is the Bills only TNF game. First it avoids the short game week since it is week 1. Second it gets the cross country trip out of the way on a Thursday without impeding on the next game week. A Sunday or Monday night game for Buffalo in LA would suck for the next week. 

Agreed. West coast trip and then 10 days until the next game. Big advantage. I just think it will be the Cowboys, 49ers, or Cardinals who get the game. If the Bills do get it then I will try to get tickets. Make a nice vacation out of it as well as going to the game. That would make for a great trip.

It will be interesting to see how much of a factor JA17’s Playoff Explosion 💥 will be tempting enough to put Buffalo 🦬 on the NFL’s Opening Game extravaganza 🌈. I think it will. Cowboys played last year on opening night. Murray is acting like a spoiled B word who knows what will happen there, and SF is planning to trot out a QB that has never played before. JA17 is a great draw and brings an East Coast & AFC element. In theory a Bills/ Rams game would be a exciting shoot out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paul Costa said:

It will be interesting to see how much of a factor JA17’s Playoff Explosion 💥 will be tempting enough to put Buffalo 🦬 on the NFL’s Opening Game extravaganza 🌈. I think it will. Cowboys played last year on opening night. Murray is acting like a spoiled B word who knows what will happen there, and SF is planning to trot out a QB that has never played before. JA17 is a great draw and brings an East Coast & AFC element. In theory a Bills/ Rams game would be a exciting shoot out. 

I can definitely see the league trying to capitalize on the JA craze. He almost got more attention SB week than burrow or Stafford and there are more than a few analysts who claim they still think the Bills were the best team in the league last year even after the rams won it all. It all lines up to me which means it will be the Cowboys. 

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

Agreed. West coast trip and then 10 days until the next game. Big advantage. I just think it will be the Cowboys, 49ers, or Cardinals who get the game. If the Bills do get it then I will try to get tickets. Make a nice vacation out of it as well as going to the game. That would make for a great trip.

Be careful in Cardinals stadium on seats.  Some of the seats labelled partially obstructed have view blocked so much you cannot see field and video screens are partially obstructed.  Worst away game I was at and spent most of my time sitting in seats of people who were away to go get food, etc.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I can definitely see the league trying to capitalize on the JA craze. He almost got more attention SB week than burrow or Stafford and there are more than a few analysts who claim they still think the Bills were the best team in the league last year even after the rams won it all. It all lines up to me which means it will be the Cowboys. 

Sad but true 😔. If in fact it is the Cowboys I will be officially done trying to predict opening season games. 

As much as I hate it, I do understand the networks' love of the damn Cowboys and they are probably going to be the game on opening night.  That said, if actual football people are making the decision the Bills are a no-brainer.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Be careful in Cardinals stadium on seats.  Some of the seats labelled partially obstructed have view blocked so much you cannot see field and video screens are partially obstructed.  Worst away game I was at and spent most of my time sitting in seats of people who were away to go get food, etc.

I would only go to LA and Sofi stadium if the Bills open there week 1. Won't be at the Cardinals game.

59 minutes ago, eball said:

As much as I hate it, I do understand the networks' love of the damn Cowboys and they are probably going to be the game on opening night.  That said, if actual football people are making the decision the Bills are a no-brainer.

From the thing I read from an LA reporter because Dallas played opening night last year they may not want to straight years and the NFL may not want to do that to them again. I think there is a far more legitimate chance it is Buffalo this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.