Saints promote Dennis Allen to HC

BuffaloBillyG

Ugh. I really want to grab him and say don't do this. 

I actually think Dennis Allen can coach. He is one of the best defensive coordinators in the league but he has taken on two Head Coaching posts where he setting himself up to fail. First the Raiders when that was a dysfunctional mess and now a Saints team destined for a total rebuild that can't even begin for another year while they cap clean. 

I think he is foolish to take the job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I don't think he's a bad coach. But it feels like a rough situation. That far in salary cap jail and no QB on the roster is a rough mix.

Yeah, that's what I meant.  They need to clear $80M in cap.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I actually think Dennis Allen can coach. He is one of the best defensive coordinators in the league but he has taken on two Head Coaching posts where he setting himself up to fail. First the Raiders when that was a dysfunctional mess and now a Saints team destined for a total rebuild that can't even begin for another year while they cap clean. 

true, but might not get another option, and hopefully gets a bit of a leash here given the dearth of talent.  Will need a great OC.  

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Didn't McDermott do the same thing? Get the next QB right and they can win again.  

• Agree 1

I trust your judgment, and I wonder if he isn’t just happy to make an EXTRA couple million for the next few years? That would be a tough decision for me, personally. 

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Making a defensive guy your HC in today's NFL is a strategic mistake.

You're not wrong in theory.

However with what the Saints have on the roster and being far in salary cap jail...with zero in the QB room...the only way the win games this year is defense and run the ball IMO. They need a couple years to restock the offense. 

Also, would depend a lot on who he grabs as the OC. Wasn't that long ago Buffalo did a move like this. Hired Rex. Also interviewed Greg Roman and ended up with both. Eric Bieniemy is a New Orleans local...who may want to run and offense by himself....and whose contract expired (or will soon) in KC🤔🤔🤔

Granted not a great move on going all on on a defensive guy and a guy that hasn't run and offense in his own in the NFL...but not many options when you are about 80M in the red salary cap wise and no established QB on the team.

17 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Not a bad choice. With Brady retiring the division is wide open.

Carolina, Atlanta, NO and TB.

If saints get Winston back they could easily win the division 

The Saints need to cut like all their players to make the cap work. I think they will have a seriously tough time winning games next year. There is about to be a mass exodus of talent from that team.

I'm sure everyone involved understands that it will take awhile to rebuild.

I hope Dennis Allen got a long contract -- at least 6 or 7 years -- on the grounds that it's going to take a few years to clean up the mess, and he doesn't want to get that job started and then get fired because he's not finished yet.  

It's a little late in the coaching carousel calendar to find a great new OC (and DC for that matter) in New Orleans.  

Everything is lining up against this guy's early success.  He'll be coach of the year if he gets to 9-7.  

39 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I hope Dennis Allen got a long contract -- at least 6 or 7 years -- on the grounds that it's going to take a few years to clean up the mess, and he doesn't want to get that job started and then get fired because he's not finished yet.  

It's a little late in the coaching carousel calendar to find a great new OC (and DC for that matter) in New Orleans.  

Everything is lining up against this guy's early success.  He'll be coach of the year if he gets to 9-7.  

Sean Payton should have been in the conversation for COTY this year getting to 9-8

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Making a defensive guy your HC in today's NFL is a strategic mistake.

I disagree with this because I would always go leadership ability above all else, but the point that a defensive Head Coach who has a successful offense is going to have to maintain a steady pipeline of good offensive minds around him to take over as coordinator as each of his OC's progresses to a head job is a fair one. Whereas if your offensive head coach is the offensive mind, because of the bias towards hiring offense he might be able to keep his DC around longer. 

I also feel like more defensive guys who fail as Head Coaches go back to being coordinators and replicate their earlier success. Whereas Josh McDaniels apart (and let's not forget he sucked with the Rams before he landed back in New England) offensive coordinators who have been good offensive coordinators but then get Head Coach jobs and fail seem to struggle replicating their earlier success when they revert to coordinators. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Really? Do you think Winston is truly that bad? He played reasonably well this season and should be at full health by September. Their talent is pretty decent, although like every team they have some holes.

Edited by dave mcbride

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Really? Do you think Winston is truly that bad? He played reasonably well this season and should be at full health by September. Their talent is pretty decent, although like every team they have some holes.

I think their offensive talent is horrible. Winston isn't dreadful but he is a low end starter. They have no receivers except for Thomas who isn't coming back by all reports and Kamara can't make every single play.

On defense they are old up front and at linebacker. They have a good secondary and a good oline. The rest? Bad. Remind me of New England in 2020. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think their offensive talent is horrible. Winston isn't dreadful but he is a low end starter. They have no receivers except for Thomas who isn't coming back by all reports and Kamara can't make every single play.

On defense they are old up front and at linebacker. They have a good secondary and a good oline. The rest? Bad. Remind me of New England in 2020. 

That can get you to 9-8/10-7. There are far worse jobs in the NFL (Washington, Miami, Houston, Jets, ...). The Saints organization drafts pretty well and the team still has some excellent players. As for Winston, he had a rating of 103 over 7 games. Not too shabby. 

As long as NO has the patience to keep Dennis Allen beyond a season or 2, maybe this works out.  If they are bad this year & can get the right QB in the 2023 draft, they can have a Bengals like turnaround by 2024.  

A franchise QB solves a lot of problems for any head coach.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

13 hours ago, MJS said:

The Saints need to cut like all their players to make the cap work. I think they will have a seriously tough time winning games next year. There is about to be a mass exodus of talent from that team.

I'm sure everyone involved understands that it will take awhile to rebuild.

Shouldnt we be wheeling and dealing for some of their good players? That Saints team wasnt awful. With a QB they were in the playoffs.

43 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Shouldnt we be wheeling and dealing for some of their good players? That Saints team wasnt awful. With a QB they were in the playoffs.

We should. Cam Jordan, maybe? Alvin Kamara?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He might not be making any plays this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting that the Saints chose continuity even though they may truly be in a full rebuild mode this year given the expected departure of many key veteran players contracts they need to unload.

But then again the NFC South in 2022 is shaping up to be the NFC East from 2020 in that every single team may be very bad and whoever can get to 6 or 7 wins worst will win the division.

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

Would love Lattimore (CB) here, but his contract numbers are a disaster

7 hours ago, stuvian said:

their defense is very stout. With any modicum of QB play they could be back in the playoffs

It was, but they are 75-80 million over the cap. They will probably have to deal some guys on Defense to get under cap and get draft picks for the rebuild

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Everyone can't get the head coaching job at Alabama.  There are only so many head coaching jobs available.  He has been their DC for a few years, so he has a feel for how the franchise runs, the GM and ownership.  So he must feel like he can get the ship righted.  And at least he hasn't coached under Sean McVay who I can not stand.  (I think the Bengals are going to punch the Rams right in the chops on Sunday)

Its kind of refreshing to hire a defensive coach as the head coach for a change.  Defensive guys always seem to bring a little more toughness to a teams personality.  Not sure what happened with the Bills.  Frazier certainly has not done that.  And while McDermott has done an excellent job overall, our team's persona is not one of "we are going to just beat you down for 60 minutes."  And come to think of it, I don't think that is the way the NFL is played and coached anymore in general.  LOL

4 hours ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Would love Lattimore (CB) here, but his contract numbers are a disaster

It was, but they are 75-80 million over the cap. They will probably have to deal some guys on Defense to get under cap and get draft picks for the rebuild

A lot gets said about that, however this time last year they were about $100M over, still had money to field a competitive team that almost made the playoffs and still were able to sign guys when they had injuries. 

They are pretty experienced at it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.