Saints promote Dennis Allen to HC

BuffaloBillyG

Ugh. I really want to grab him and say don't do this. 

I actually think Dennis Allen can coach. He is one of the best defensive coordinators in the league but he has taken on two Head Coaching posts where he setting himself up to fail. First the Raiders when that was a dysfunctional mess and now a Saints team destined for a total rebuild that can't even begin for another year while they cap clean. 

I think he is foolish to take the job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I don't think he's a bad coach. But it feels like a rough situation. That far in salary cap jail and no QB on the roster is a rough mix.

Yeah, that's what I meant.  They need to clear $80M in cap.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I actually think Dennis Allen can coach. He is one of the best defensive coordinators in the league but he has taken on two Head Coaching posts where he setting himself up to fail. First the Raiders when that was a dysfunctional mess and now a Saints team destined for a total rebuild that can't even begin for another year while they cap clean. 

true, but might not get another option, and hopefully gets a bit of a leash here given the dearth of talent.  Will need a great OC.  

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Didn't McDermott do the same thing? Get the next QB right and they can win again.  

• Agree 1

I trust your judgment, and I wonder if he isn’t just happy to make an EXTRA couple million for the next few years? That would be a tough decision for me, personally. 

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Making a defensive guy your HC in today's NFL is a strategic mistake.

You're not wrong in theory.

However with what the Saints have on the roster and being far in salary cap jail...with zero in the QB room...the only way the win games this year is defense and run the ball IMO. They need a couple years to restock the offense. 

Also, would depend a lot on who he grabs as the OC. Wasn't that long ago Buffalo did a move like this. Hired Rex. Also interviewed Greg Roman and ended up with both. Eric Bieniemy is a New Orleans local...who may want to run and offense by himself....and whose contract expired (or will soon) in KC🤔🤔🤔

Granted not a great move on going all on on a defensive guy and a guy that hasn't run and offense in his own in the NFL...but not many options when you are about 80M in the red salary cap wise and no established QB on the team.

17 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Not a bad choice. With Brady retiring the division is wide open.

Carolina, Atlanta, NO and TB.

If saints get Winston back they could easily win the division 

The Saints need to cut like all their players to make the cap work. I think they will have a seriously tough time winning games next year. There is about to be a mass exodus of talent from that team.

I'm sure everyone involved understands that it will take awhile to rebuild.

I hope Dennis Allen got a long contract -- at least 6 or 7 years -- on the grounds that it's going to take a few years to clean up the mess, and he doesn't want to get that job started and then get fired because he's not finished yet.  

It's a little late in the coaching carousel calendar to find a great new OC (and DC for that matter) in New Orleans.  

Everything is lining up against this guy's early success.  He'll be coach of the year if he gets to 9-7.  

39 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I hope Dennis Allen got a long contract -- at least 6 or 7 years -- on the grounds that it's going to take a few years to clean up the mess, and he doesn't want to get that job started and then get fired because he's not finished yet.  

It's a little late in the coaching carousel calendar to find a great new OC (and DC for that matter) in New Orleans.  

Everything is lining up against this guy's early success.  He'll be coach of the year if he gets to 9-7.  

Sean Payton should have been in the conversation for COTY this year getting to 9-8

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.