Gunner's 2022 Mock Draft (v3 and FINAL - p.17!!)

GunnerBill

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If we move off Beasley, it’s absolutely not a luxury pick.   Even if we keep him, it’s really not.  

Thats the mentality that Green Bay took with Rodgers.  

KC turns over every stone to get Mahomes YAC gods and speed at every skill position, but drafting a 1st Round WR for our guy is a bridge too far?

I disagree with the comparasion to Green Bay and KC to the Bills. That's just inaccurate and skews the picture of the Bills inaccurately. I think the pass catchers on the Bills are one of the best cores in the league. Especially with the emergence of Knox, Davis, and some extent McKenzie. I see this pick as a possibly luxury pick. Of course, if he rates out as the BPA by far and the injury isnt a major concern then I'm more than ok with the pick. However, if there's a player close to his value and it fills a Bills need then I'd rather go there instead. 

@GunnerBillDont be surprised if Malik Willis is not only taken in the first round, but the first QB taken in the draft.

He has the highest upside of any QB in the draft.  And with the other QBs not being all that strong, I think come draft day this is the guy that teams take a a chance on and is first QB off a he board.

Especially with how much QB mobility is valued now.  He not only is a gifted runner, but he’s got a cannon and is a good passer too.  

My prediction:  He is the first QB drafted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

I guess I meant that it's an underrated priority, at least it seems to me. Almost all mocks I've looked at had our biggest needs as IOL, CB, DL, RB. WR might actually be the biggest area of need above all else. 

I disagree here. WR isn't a huge area of need on this team. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I disagree with the comparasion to Green Bay and KC to the Bills. That's just inaccurate and skews the picture of the Bills inaccurately. I think the pass catchers on the Bills are one of the best cores in the league. Especially with the emergence of Knox, Davis, and some extent McKenzie. I see this pick as a possibly luxury pick. Of course, if he rates out as the BPA by far and the injury isnt a major concern then I'm more than ok with the pick. However, if there's a player close to his value and it fills a Bills need then I'd rather go there instead. 

McKenzie is currently no longer on the team.....

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The pain of last weekend slowly gives way to the realisation that we are firmly in draft season and so here is my first stab at a 2022 mock draft. There are more unknowns than normal by this time of year because we still have the Championship games to go (because the season is a week longer) and because we still have SIX unfilled head coaching jobs. So there is a fair amount of speculation that has had to go into this coupled with the fact that I already think this is one of the least predictable first rounds in years. Firstly, there are lot of picks that already belong to teams other than those to who they originally belong (Giants, Lions and Jets have two picks each, the Eagles have 3 and the Dolphins have one but it isn't their own) and secondly, there are not many players genuinely separating themselves at the very top of this class and are a LOT of players who, frankly, could go anywhere from about 8th overall to about 48th overall. Scheme fits, positional value and need are going to play into this first round a lot more than a normal first round and I think the cliched "Best Player Available" will be an even more abstract concept this year than normal.

Last year when I did my first mock in early Feb I did a two round edition and I do plan to update this in February with a two round version once all the coaches are hired and things are somewhat more settled. But for now, here is an early stab at the first 32 picks of the 2022 NFL Draft. Enjoy reading!

1 - Jacksonville Jaguars – Aiden Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan

When you pick 1st overall in consecutive seasons and spend the first of those on a Quarterback what you are really hoping is that there is a potential franchise Quarterback there the second year to allow you to move back and collect picks. However, unfortunately for the Jags, there isn’t. The choice comes down to reach for an offensive tackle – which is a need – or stay put and take the best player on the board. Until the Jags hire a coach and sort out the GM spot I am going to err on the side of them doing the latter.

2 – Detroit Lions – Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregan

In contrast this couldn’t set up much better for the Lions. They were 29th in pressuring the Quarterback and 30th in sacks in 2021. They have the 2nd overall pick and the consensus top two players on the board are edge rushers. I personally think they’d prefer Hutchinson and so if the Jags go offensive line expect him to be the pick but if the Jags take him, I still expect them to more than content with Thibodeaux.

3 – Houston Texans – Kyle Hamilton, Safety, Notre Dame

A safety? At third overall? I agree it feels a bad positional value… but this is not a great draft in terms of elite players at the top and Kyle Hamilton is one guy who does fit that mold. And then think about Houston’s General Manager. Nick Caserio comes from New England where they have valued safety play. They draft and then paid Devin McCourty handsomely and spent a second two years ago on Kyle Dugger when they had more obvious and immediate needs. Hamilton reminds me of Derwin James coming out. Yes he can play as a coverage eraser in center field but he can do so much more than that. This guy is a matchup monster who can do it all.

4 – New York Jets – Ikem Ekwonu, Offensive Tackle, North Carolina State

The Jets have thrown picks at their offensive line in recent years in Mekhi Becton and Alijah Vera-Tucker. Both were good as rookies but the idea in 2021 was to have them together holding down Zack Wilson’s blindside. Instead Becton played just one game, suffering a knee injury week one that was originally a 4 to 6 week deal, but kept him out the rest of the year. The noises from inside the franchise are not good. His work ethic has been questioned and his weight issues from college have returned which hampered the recovery. I can see the Jets trying again with Ekwonu who could play right tackle, or guard, if Becton does get it together but can take over at left tackle if he doesn’t.

5 – New York Giants – Evan Neal, Offensive Tackle, Alabama

Can anyone remember the last time the Giants’ offensive line didn’t suck? Nor me. Andrew Thomas had a solid sophomore season after struggling as a rookie at left tackle but the broken down body of Nate Solder was a turnstile on the right hand side. Anyone who has watched Brian Daboll’s offenses in Buffalo knows that his Quarterback is going to need the edges protecting and Daniel Jones, while athletic, is not Josh Allen in terms of being able to escape. Personally I am unconvinced by Neal as a left tackle prospect at the NFL level and that does put a ceiling on his value. But in this scenario as a right tackle he makes a lot of sense for the Giants.

6 – Carolina Panthers – Charles Cross, Offensive Tackle, Mississippi State

Carolina’s biggest need is obviously Quarterback. I suspect they are going to try again for Deshaun Watson depending on his status by March because Rhule needs to win in 2022 and trusting a rookie Quarterback would be scary. But after that it is offensive line. Here is a start for you and for @BillfromNYC in particular…. The Panthers have drafted THREE first round running backs since they last spent a first round pick on the offensive line (2003). That surely has to change because that unit is a liability. Cross is my #1 offensive tackle and I think he is a guy you plug and play for a decade on the blindside.

7 – New York Giants – Ahmad Gardner, Cornerback, Cincinnati

I hope nobody popped out for coffee in the Giants war room, ‘cos they are right back on the clock! As of the time of writing Brian Daboll has not hired a defensive coordinator but the name I have heard multiple times is Wink Martindale. The Giants have a need at corner and Wink values length and ability to play man coverage. Step forward Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner who is going to be higher on boards than most people would imagine.

8 – Atlanta Falcons – David Ojabo, EDGE, Michigan

This pick for the Falcons comes down to edge rusher or corner. They have major needs in both spots. I just think Ojabo is Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees’ type of edge rusher. Long, fast, bendy… has the physical attributes. His one year production is going to put some teams off and I think he is more a 3-4 OLB than a hand in the dirt defensive end but that is a perfect fit for what Atlanta runs.

9 – Denver Broncos – Kenny Pickett, Quarterback, Pittsburgh

Now this might all be moot if as some suspect Aaron Rodgers follows his former offensive coordinator Nate Hackett to Mile High. But the Broncos need somehow to find a Quarterback and so in a world where they haven’t landed Rodgers in a trade I have them reaching for Kenny Pickett who I think could run Hackett’s system effectively even if I don’t see the ceiling that you might want to compete in a division with Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert.

10 – New York Jets – Derek Stingley Jr, Cornerback, LSU

The Jets were playing overachieving late round picks in the secondary last year. Stingley has never quite scaled the heights of his freshman year again in 2020 or 2021 but if he lasts here until 10 the Jets would sprint to the podium. Huge upgrade.

11 – Washington Football Team – Matt Corral, Quarterback, Ole Miss

The Washington Football team always seems to find itself playing the Quarterback market in the wrong year. This is not a great group and this feels a reach for Corral who just plays a little bit robotic when I have watched him. Doesn’t look like a natural passer. But they have to do something here and I am not sure it is an attractive destination for any signal callers in the trade market.

12 – Minnesota Vikings – Andrew Booth, Cornerback, Clemson

Kwasi Adofo-Mensah is an intriguing hire as GM by the Vikings because he is from an analytics background rather than the traditional scouting background. While the Vikings have needs all over their defense the analytics in recent years lean towards spending capital on defensive backs rather than defensive linemen as the league because increasingly pass centric. Booth is actually my #1 corner in the draft but I wouldn’t be as high on him here if the Vikings were to hire a defensive coordinator who is going to be primarily a man coverage guy. Booth reminds me a ton of Tre White as a guy who can get physical and press but excels in zone.

13 – Cleveland Browns – George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue

The Browns big areas of need are defensive line and wide receiver. I thought about a receiver here but with the class having depth I wonder if they wait on that and instead bring in Karlaftis as a replacement for Jadaveon Clowney who had a very good year but the Browns likely can’t afford to keep. Skillset wise he is similar to Clowney. He is a bigger end who is going to set the set the edge and force plays towards Garrett while also notching clean up sacks when QBs are trying to escape the pocket his side.

14 – Baltimore Ravens – DeMarvin Leal, Defensive Tackle, Texas A&M

The Ravens defensive line is old. Calais Campbell is 35, Brandon Williams is 32 and Derek Wolfe is 31. They need to get younger up front. Leal would be a great start. There is a mix of views on his best positional fit among evaluators. Some see his best fit as a 3 tech in a 4 man front but I like him as a 5 tech defensive end in a 3-4 and I think he’d be a day 1 starter at that spot for the Ravens.

15 – Philadelphia Eagles – Tyler Linderbaum, Center, Iowa

This is one of the most popular mock draft picks in the early weeks of draft season, but it just makes so much sense. The Eagles future Hall of Fame center Jason Kelce is 34 and Linderbaum reminds me of him in the sense of being “undersized” compare to the prototype NFL center but a guy who is smart and moves well.

16 – Philadelphia Eagles – Devin Lloyd, Linebacker, Utah

The Eagles defensive scheme reminds me a lot of what Sean McDermott and Leslie Frazier have done with the Bills. As such I can see a long, athletic, rangy middle linebacker being attractive to Defensive Coordinator Jonathan Gannon and Lloyd fits the bill.

17 – Los Angeles Chargers – Kyler Gordon, Cornerback, Washington

Brandon Staley’s defense has to get better. Part of that has to be about improving the play in the secondary. To play in Staley’s scheme a corner needs to be comfortable in both man and zone (and last season’s second round pick Asante Samuel has struggled with zone concepts) which makes me think Kyler Gordon is the best fit of the second-tier corners.

18 – New Orleans Saints – Treylon Burks, Wide Receiver, Arkansas

Honestly the Saints have holes all over the place and likely need to create some more to get within the salary cap. But their biggest hole is at receiver. Their leading receiver in 2021 was Marcus Calloway with 698 yards and he struggles with drops. Michael Thomas’s future is up in the air so I think someone like Burks who can take short passes and make big gains would be attractive.

19 – Philadelphia Eagles – Cameron Thomas, EDGE, San Diego State

We know the MO of Eagles GM Howie Roseman. He builds the lines. I already have them going oline with one of their three first round picks in this draft and now I see them switching to defense. Derek Barnett is out of contract and has never quite justified his draft status, I don’t expect him to be brought back and Ryan Kerrigan (his backup) is a FA too. Cam Thomas has exceptional hands which reminds me a bit of Barnett coming out and I know Roseman values that in his rushers.

20 – Pittsburgh Steelers – Kenyon Green, Guard, Texas A&M

The Steelers number 1 need is clearly a Quarterback, but I just don’t see reaching on one as Kevin Colbert’s style, even though he is stepping down after the draft. Their offensive line has been a problem for a couple of seasons now. They drafted Dan Moore in the 4th round last year and have him penciled in to start at left tackle. I think Green would slot in very nicely alongside him.

21 – New England Patriots – Chris Olave, Wide Receiver, Ohio State

The Patriots have not got a great track record drafting wide receivers early in the draft. Part of that is that their offense (similar to Buffalo’s) asks the receivers to read the coverage almost as much as the Quarterback. But they just have to get more explosive on offense. Chris Olave is the smoothest route runner in this class and if, as some suspect, he runs a 4.3 he is in play to go earlier than this. But if he is there at #21 the Patriots should make sure he falls no further. He doesn’t need a Quarterback with a big arm to throw a deep ball. Olave can catch a 5 yard pass and take it the distance.

22 – Las Vegas Raiders – Trevor Penning, Offensive Tackle, Northern Iowa

The Raiders offensive line was a hot mess in 2021. Kolton Miller at left tackle was a Gruden and Mayock pick and they were determined, despite all the evidence, to force it to work – a new regime might well move on. As for Alex Leatherwood who they drafted in the first round (and reached for) last year… he failed at tackle and is now playing guard (where I always thought his NFL future lay). Trevor Penning might finally give them their answer at left tackle. He is raw but he is a monster and his ceiling is sky high.

23 – Arizona Cardinals – Jordan Davis, Defensive Tackle, Georgia

The big man comes off the board! The Cardinals had a big free agency swing at a big man who could penetrate up front when they signed Jordan Phillips from the Buffalo Bills before the 2020 season. He has logged just 5 sacks in two seasons and their starting nose tackle Corey Peters is a 33-year-old free agent too. Davis brings a nice mix of the two skill sets.  

24 – Dallas Cowboys – Nakobe Dean, Linebacker, Georgia

Back to back Bulldogs! This projection is all about Dan Quinn’s decision to stay with Dallas as Defensive Coordinator. Leighton Vander Esch is a free agent and is not a priority to retain. Micah Parsons is defensive rookie of the year, but is as much an edge rusher as a linebacker… and Nakobe Dean reminds me so much of Deion Jones coming out of LSU who excelled in Quinn’s defense with the Falcons.

25 – Buffalo Bills – Jameson Williams, Wide Receiver, Alabama

If Williams had not suffered an ACL tear in the National Championship game then I suspect there was very little chance of him dropping to this spot. The Bills more than most teams could afford to wait if Williams is not ready to contribute week 1. He was clocked in the 4.3s before his injury this season. If the Bills are confident he will retain that game breaking speed he would be a steal here.

26 – Tennessee Titans – Trey McBride, Tight End, Colorado

Hard to know where to go for the Titans. They don’t have a ton of needs, but they also don’t have a 2nd round pick having traded it to the Falcons for Julio Jones. Offensive line is possible, linebacker is a need but the two first round talents are off the board, so I wonder if they might be interested in McBride as a replacement for Jonnu Smith who departed for New England last spring. A two way tight end that can block and be an option in the passing game would help this offense.

27 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Travon Walker, Defensive Tackle, Georgia

Given recent news a Quarterback is a possibility here. I wonder if Bruce Arians might be attracted to Malik Willis the big armed kid out of Liberty and getting back to more of his traditional Air Coryell routes rather than Brady’s dink and dunk. However, they need to continue the youth movement up front too. Joe Tryon played well in spot duty as a rookie on the edge but William Gholston is a free agent at the 3-4 defensive end spot and Walker is a similar physical profile and could slide into that role.

28 – Green Bay Packers – Drake London, Wide Receiver, USC

I feel like the Packers do not want to pick a receiver in the 1st round while Rodgers is there – just out of pure belligerence. But if Davonte Adams walks as a free agent then they might have no other option. Drake London is a prototypical #1 outside receiver and whether it is Rodgers, Jordan Love or someone else throwing the ball if it is within his radius he is going to come down with it.

29 – Miami Dolphins – Garrett Wilson, Wide Receiver, Ohio State

Stop me if you have heard this before… but Miami needs receivers and offensive linemen, despite a lot of investment in both spots in recent years. Jaylon Waddle was a major hit as a rookie but Will Fuller as a one year rental did not work out, Preston Williams can’t stay healthy and Devante Parker is a possible cap casualty. With Tua as your Quarterback you need YAC guys and so Garrett Wilson out of Ohio State feels like a fit.

30 – Cincinnati Bengals – Nicholas Petit-Frere, Offensive Tackle, Ohio State

I will say it until I am blue in the face but Cincinnati has to get better up front. I’d have drafted Penei Sewell at #5 last year and he was a beast down the stretch for the Lions, but Chase was likely the rookie of the year so you can’t blame them for going that route. The problem is they have won too many games to be in range for one of the premium tackles in this class. That said Petit-Frere is a nice prospect and I think he is a natural left tackle so would likely represent an upgrade on Jonah Williams who you either flip to right tackle or slide inside to guard where Quinton Spain (their best lineman in 2021) is a free agent.

31 – Detroit Lions – Jaquan Brisker, Safety, Penn State

This is a spot where the Lions could absolutely take a swing at a Quarterback. If they do I’d look for a toolsy developmental guy either Willis or Desmond Ridder to come and sit for a year behind Jared Goff. However, because none of this class really pops to me and because Goff played well down the stretch (70% completion, 11 TDs and 2 INTs in his final 5 games) I have them going in a different direction. Their secondary has been a problem for a number of years under consecutive coaching staffs and their safety play in particular was atrocious in 2021. Jaquan Brisker and Jordan Battle are the second tier of safeties in this class, but I think Brisker is the superior coverage player and so I have gone with him here.

32 – Kansas City Chiefs – Roger McCreary, Corner, Auburn

My views on Kansas City’s corner situation is well known. L’Jarius Sneed is their best corner but he is a nickel guy primarily and they need better play on the boundary. There are three guys on the board who could come under consideration in this spot if a corner is the selection: McCreary, Trent McDuffie and Kaiir Elam but I think McCreary is the best man coverage guy of those three and in Spagnuolo’s scheme he wants to be able to bring the house and have his corners hold up outside.

Flame away!

Regarding the Bills selecting Williams, I would imagine straight line speed wouldn't be a problem as ACL tears effect lateral movement not straight ahead, as referenced by players able to walk off the field fine after tearing ACLs

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Is he officially gone? 

He's an unrestricted free agent. We can choose to sign him, like we can choose to sign any other FA. 

Right now our only WRs are literally Diggs, Davis and Beasley. I do not understand how anyone could think that is one of the better groups in the league, and that WR and some play making ability is not a major need.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

They were not one of the best WR cores.   

Not to say the Bills WR’s weren’t a top 10ish group last year, but there were plenty of teams with more talent there.  

I’m trying to block out these games, but look who’s playing today. 

Rams have Kupp, Beckham, Jefferson and Higbee.  Also thought they’d have Woods. 

Bengals have Chase, Boyd, Higgins and Uzomah. 

Chiefs have Hill, Hardman, Pringle, Kelce. 

49ers have Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk and Jennings. 

Only group I might take ours over is the 49ers, and they’re built to run the ball.  

All those teams also have better RB situations than us… Mixon, CEH/McKinnon, Mitchell etc, Akers/Michel. 

Bills had the most depth at WR.. I’ll give them that.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

@GunnerBillDont be surprised if Malik Willis is not only taken in the first round, but the first QB taken in the draft.

He has the highest upside of any QB in the draft.  And with the other QBs not being all that strong, I think come draft day this is the guy that teams take a a chance on and is first QB off a he board.

Especially with how much QB mobility is valued now.  He not only is a gifted runner, but he’s got a cannon and is a good passer too.  

My prediction:  He is the first QB drafted.

I wouldn't be surprised. I think with each of these guys though teams are having to talk themselves into it. There are reasons to talk yourself into Willis, absolutely. As ever it would depend on team and scheme. But I agree he has the highest upside. Just one of the lowest floors too. Pickett and Corral are the two safest but they lack ceiling. 

I don't think there is a true 1st round grade Quarterback among them and I equally wouldn't be surprised if like 2013 only one of them go in the 1st. There is almost nothing in that QB class that would surprise me. 

If Carolina stays at 6 and picks a QB I think Willis is very much in play. Less so if the first QB is in Denver but then I think he would be in play in Washington, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Tampa. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I'm interested to see which teams in this years draft will try to follow the Bills model and trade back for a 1st round pick in the 2023 draft and try to get their franchise QB in that draft. That said, I have no idea if the 2023 QB prospects are looking significantly better than this years.

Drake London, listed at 6'5". Man would that be nice. But what's with only 7 TD's? Williams had more than double him.

The pain of last weekend slowly gives way to the realisation that we are firmly in draft season and so here is my first stab at a 2022 mock draft. There are more unknowns than normal by this time of year because we still have the Championship games to go (because the season is a week longer) and because we still have SIX unfilled head coaching jobs. So there is a fair amount of speculation that has had to go into this coupled with the fact that I already think this is one of the least predictable first rounds in years. Firstly, there are lot of picks that already belong to teams other than those to who they originally belong (Giants, Lions and Jets have two picks each, the Eagles have 3 and the Dolphins have one but it isn't their own) and secondly, there are not many players genuinely separating themselves at the very top of this class and are a LOT of players who, frankly, could go anywhere from about 8th overall to about 48th overall. Scheme fits, positional value and need are going to play into this first round a lot more than a normal first round and I think the cliched "Best Player Available" will be an even more abstract concept this year than normal.

Last year when I did my first mock in early Feb I did a two round edition and I do plan to update this in February with a two round version once all the coaches are hired and things are somewhat more settled. But for now, here is an early stab at the first 32 picks of the 2022 NFL Draft. Enjoy reading!

When you pick 1st overall in consecutive seasons and spend the first of those on a Quarterback what you are really hoping is that there is a potential franchise Quarterback there the second year to allow you to move back and collect picks. However, unfortunately for the Jags, there isn’t. The choice comes down to reach for an offensive tackle – which is a need – or stay put and take the best player on the board. Until the Jags hire a coach and sort out the GM spot I am going to err on the side of them doing the latter.

In contrast this couldn’t set up much better for the Lions. They were 29th in pressuring the Quarterback and 30th in sacks in 2021. They have the 2nd overall pick and the consensus top two players on the board are edge rushers. I personally think they’d prefer Hutchinson and so if the Jags go offensive line expect him to be the pick but if the Jags take him, I still expect them to more than content with Thibodeaux.

A safety? At third overall? I agree it feels a bad positional value… but this is not a great draft in terms of elite players at the top and Kyle Hamilton is one guy who does fit that mold. And then think about Houston’s General Manager. Nick Caserio comes from New England where they have valued safety play. They draft and then paid Devin McCourty handsomely and spent a second two years ago on Kyle Dugger when they had more obvious and immediate needs. Hamilton reminds me of Derwin James coming out. Yes he can play as a coverage eraser in center field but he can do so much more than that. This guy is a matchup monster who can do it all.

The Jets have thrown picks at their offensive line in recent years in Mekhi Becton and Alijah Vera-Tucker. Both were good as rookies but the idea in 2021 was to have them together holding down Zack Wilson’s blindside. Instead Becton played just one game, suffering a knee injury week one that was originally a 4 to 6 week deal, but kept him out the rest of the year. The noises from inside the franchise are not good. His work ethic has been questioned and his weight issues from college have returned which hampered the recovery. I can see the Jets trying again with Ekwonu who could play right tackle, or guard, if Becton does get it together but can take over at left tackle if he doesn’t.

Can anyone remember the last time the Giants’ offensive line didn’t suck? Nor me. Andrew Thomas had a solid sophomore season after struggling as a rookie at left tackle but the broken down body of Nate Solder was a turnstile on the right hand side. Anyone who has watched Brian Daboll’s offenses in Buffalo knows that his Quarterback is going to need the edges protecting and Daniel Jones, while athletic, is not Josh Allen in terms of being able to escape. Personally I am unconvinced by Neal as a left tackle prospect at the NFL level and that does put a ceiling on his value. But in this scenario as a right tackle he makes a lot of sense for the Giants.

Carolina’s biggest need is obviously Quarterback. I suspect they are going to try again for Deshaun Watson depending on his status by March because Rhule needs to win in 2022 and trusting a rookie Quarterback would be scary. But after that it is offensive line. Here is a start for you and for @BillfromNYC in particular…. The Panthers have drafted THREE first round running backs since they last spent a first round pick on the offensive line (2003). That surely has to change because that unit is a liability. Cross is my #1 offensive tackle and I think he is a guy you plug and play for a decade on the blindside.

I hope nobody popped out for coffee in the Giants war room, ‘cos they are right back on the clock! As of the time of writing Brian Daboll has not hired a defensive coordinator but the name I have heard multiple times is Wink Martindale. The Giants have a need at corner and Wink values length and ability to play man coverage. Step forward Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner who is going to be higher on boards than most people would imagine.

This pick for the Falcons comes down to edge rusher or corner. They have major needs in both spots. I just think Ojabo is Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees’ type of edge rusher. Long, fast, bendy… has the physical attributes. His one year production is going to put some teams off and I think he is more a 3-4 OLB than a hand in the dirt defensive end but that is a perfect fit for what Atlanta runs.

Now this might all be moot if as some suspect Aaron Rodgers follows his former offensive coordinator Nate Hackett to Mile High. But the Broncos need somehow to find a Quarterback and so in a world where they haven’t landed Rodgers in a trade I have them reaching for Kenny Pickett who I think could run Hackett’s system effectively even if I don’t see the ceiling that you might want to compete in a division with Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert.

The Jets were playing overachieving late round picks in the secondary last year. Stingley has never quite scaled the heights of his freshman year again in 2020 or 2021 but if he lasts here until 10 the Jets would sprint to the podium. Huge upgrade.

The Washington Football team always seems to find itself playing the Quarterback market in the wrong year. This is not a great group and this feels a reach for Corral who just plays a little bit robotic when I have watched him. Doesn’t look like a natural passer. But they have to do something here and I am not sure it is an attractive destination for any signal callers in the trade market.

Kwasi Adofo-Mensah is an intriguing hire as GM by the Vikings because he is from an analytics background rather than the traditional scouting background. While the Vikings have needs all over their defense the analytics in recent years lean towards spending capital on defensive backs rather than defensive linemen as the league because increasingly pass centric. Booth is actually my #1 corner in the draft but I wouldn’t be as high on him here if the Vikings were to hire a defensive coordinator who is going to be primarily a man coverage guy. Booth reminds me a ton of Tre White as a guy who can get physical and press but excels in zone.

The Browns big areas of need are defensive line and wide receiver. I thought about a receiver here but with the class having depth I wonder if they wait on that and instead bring in Karlaftis as a replacement for Jadaveon Clowney who had a very good year but the Browns likely can’t afford to keep. Skillset wise he is similar to Clowney. He is a bigger end who is going to set the set the edge and force plays towards Garrett while also notching clean up sacks when QBs are trying to escape the pocket his side.

The Ravens defensive line is old. Calais Campbell is 35, Brandon Williams is 32 and Derek Wolfe is 31. They need to get younger up front. Leal would be a great start. There is a mix of views on his best positional fit among evaluators. Some see his best fit as a 3 tech in a 4 man front but I like him as a 5 tech defensive end in a 3-4 and I think he’d be a day 1 starter at that spot for the Ravens.

This is one of the most popular mock draft picks in the early weeks of draft season, but it just makes so much sense. The Eagles future Hall of Fame center Jason Kelce is 34 and Linderbaum reminds me of him in the sense of being “undersized” compare to the prototype NFL center but a guy who is smart and moves well.

The Eagles defensive scheme reminds me a lot of what Sean McDermott and Leslie Frazier have done with the Bills. As such I can see a long, athletic, rangy middle linebacker being attractive to Defensive Coordinator Jonathan Gannon and Lloyd fits the bill.

Brandon Staley’s defense has to get better. Part of that has to be about improving the play in the secondary. To play in Staley’s scheme a corner needs to be comfortable in both man and zone (and last season’s second round pick Asante Samuel has struggled with zone concepts) which makes me think Kyler Gordon is the best fit of the second-tier corners.

Honestly the Saints have holes all over the place and likely need to create some more to get within the salary cap. But their biggest hole is at receiver. Their leading receiver in 2021 was Marcus Calloway with 698 yards and he struggles with drops. Michael Thomas’s future is up in the air so I think someone like Burks who can take short passes and make big gains would be attractive.

We know the MO of Eagles GM Howie Roseman. He builds the lines. I already have them going oline with one of their three first round picks in this draft and now I see them switching to defense. Derek Barnett is out of contract and has never quite justified his draft status, I don’t expect him to be brought back and Ryan Kerrigan (his backup) is a FA too. Cam Thomas has exceptional hands which reminds me a bit of Barnett coming out and I know Roseman values that in his rushers.

The Steelers number 1 need is clearly a Quarterback, but I just don’t see reaching on one as Kevin Colbert’s style, even though he is stepping down after the draft. Their offensive line has been a problem for a couple of seasons now. They drafted Dan Moore in the 4th round last year and have him penciled in to start at left tackle. I think Green would slot in very nicely alongside him.

The Patriots have not got a great track record drafting wide receivers early in the draft. Part of that is that their offense (similar to Buffalo’s) asks the receivers to read the coverage almost as much as the Quarterback. But they just have to get more explosive on offense. Chris Olave is the smoothest route runner in this class and if, as some suspect, he runs a 4.3 he is in play to go earlier than this. But if he is there at #21 the Patriots should make sure he falls no further. He doesn’t need a Quarterback with a big arm to throw a deep ball. Olave can catch a 5 yard pass and take it the distance.

The Raiders offensive line was a hot mess in 2021. Kolton Miller at left tackle was a Gruden and Mayock pick and they were determined, despite all the evidence, to force it to work – a new regime might well move on. As for Alex Leatherwood who they drafted in the first round (and reached for) last year… he failed at tackle and is now playing guard (where I always thought his NFL future lay). Trevor Penning might finally give them their answer at left tackle. He is raw but he is a monster and his ceiling is sky high.

The big man comes off the board! The Cardinals had a big free agency swing at a big man who could penetrate up front when they signed Jordan Phillips from the Buffalo Bills before the 2020 season. He has logged just 5 sacks in two seasons and their starting nose tackle Corey Peters is a 33-year-old free agent too. Davis brings a nice mix of the two skill sets.  

Back to back Bulldogs! This projection is all about Dan Quinn’s decision to stay with Dallas as Defensive Coordinator. Leighton Vander Esch is a free agent and is not a priority to retain. Micah Parsons is defensive rookie of the year, but is as much an edge rusher as a linebacker… and Nakobe Dean reminds me so much of Deion Jones coming out of LSU who excelled in Quinn’s defense with the Falcons.

If Williams had not suffered an ACL tear in the National Championship game then I suspect there was very little chance of him dropping to this spot. The Bills more than most teams could afford to wait if Williams is not ready to contribute week 1. He was clocked in the 4.3s before his injury this season. If the Bills are confident he will retain that game breaking speed he would be a steal here.

Hard to know where to go for the Titans. They don’t have a ton of needs, but they also don’t have a 2nd round pick having traded it to the Falcons for Julio Jones. Offensive line is possible, linebacker is a need but the two first round talents are off the board, so I wonder if they might be interested in McBride as a replacement for Jonnu Smith who departed for New England last spring. A two way tight end that can block and be an option in the passing game would help this offense.

Given recent news a Quarterback is a possibility here. I wonder if Bruce Arians might be attracted to Malik Willis the big armed kid out of Liberty and getting back to more of his traditional Air Coryell routes rather than Brady’s dink and dunk. However, they need to continue the youth movement up front too. Joe Tryon played well in spot duty as a rookie on the edge but William Gholston is a free agent at the 3-4 defensive end spot and Walker is a similar physical profile and could slide into that role.

I feel like the Packers do not want to pick a receiver in the 1st round while Rodgers is there – just out of pure belligerence. But if Davonte Adams walks as a free agent then they might have no other option. Drake London is a prototypical #1 outside receiver and whether it is Rodgers, Jordan Love or someone else throwing the ball if it is within his radius he is going to come down with it.

Stop me if you have heard this before… but Miami needs receivers and offensive linemen, despite a lot of investment in both spots in recent years. Jaylon Waddle was a major hit as a rookie but Will Fuller as a one year rental did not work out, Preston Williams can’t stay healthy and Devante Parker is a possible cap casualty. With Tua as your Quarterback you need YAC guys and so Garrett Wilson out of Ohio State feels like a fit.

I will say it until I am blue in the face but Cincinnati has to get better up front. I’d have drafted Penei Sewell at #5 last year and he was a beast down the stretch for the Lions, but Chase was likely the rookie of the year so you can’t blame them for going that route. The problem is they have won too many games to be in range for one of the premium tackles in this class. That said Petit-Frere is a nice prospect and I think he is a natural left tackle so would likely represent an upgrade on Jonah Williams who you either flip to right tackle or slide inside to guard where Quinton Spain (their best lineman in 2021) is a free agent.

This is a spot where the Lions could absolutely take a swing at a Quarterback. If they do I’d look for a toolsy developmental guy either Willis or Desmond Ridder to come and sit for a year behind Jared Goff. However, because none of this class really pops to me and because Goff played well down the stretch (70% completion, 11 TDs and 2 INTs in his final 5 games) I have them going in a different direction. Their secondary has been a problem for a number of years under consecutive coaching staffs and their safety play in particular was atrocious in 2021. Jaquan Brisker and Jordan Battle are the second tier of safeties in this class, but I think Brisker is the superior coverage player and so I have gone with him here.

My views on Kansas City’s corner situation is well known. L’Jarius Sneed is their best corner but he is a nickel guy primarily and they need better play on the boundary. There are three guys on the board who could come under consideration in this spot if a corner is the selection: McCreary, Trent McDuffie and Kaiir Elam but I think McCreary is the best man coverage guy of those three and in Spagnuolo’s scheme he wants to be able to bring the house and have his corners hold up outside.

Flame away!

A first round WR would make me very happy.  I see Williams listed at 6'2" and 189 lbs.  That seems skinny to me, but I don't know my ass from my elbow.  But I think Diggs is about the same weight and a couple inches shorter.  I know we need speed, but is this kid capable of winning jump balls and being physical?

@GunnerBill Do you have a take on Carson Strong yet? I've watched a couple of his games this year and I was very impressed with him. He reminds me of a non-mobile Josh Allen in the way he leads his team, competes till the very end and can make all the throws. But others have compared him to Drew Lock. I have a fondness for QB's that come from second tier schools as well and Nevada fits that bill. 

Cracks me up that everyone and their brother was crapping their pants about all the speed for KC, but the minute there is talk about the Bills taking a WR “ we don’t need a WR”.  Really?  I’m sorry, but fact is, the need is desperate.  Diggs is a middle of the road #1, by that I mean he brings nothing to fear.  Yes he’ll get open and get his catches, but nobody worries about him taking it to the house on them and nobody thinks he’s going to put jump you or is too big to handle.   Davis looks like a true #1 with size and good speed, but the Bills have used him like he’s a 4th round pick that doesn’t belong on the field, so who knows?  Beasley scares no one, and that’s it, the rest are fringe players.  So yeah, a real threat for Josh would be huge.  A speed WR who is actually good enough to get on the field is a big opportunity.  You can’t double everyone, so if they leave Diggs one on one, he’ll move the ball down the field, if they double him, you can take the top off, it’s a major help.   The Chiefs were so hard to deal w when they had Watkins, Kelce and Hill because you had to pick your poison.  They were easier to deal with this year because there wasn’t anybody that struck fear in the hearts of the D outside of Kelce and Hill, they had other speed, but the guys that had it didn’t have talent enough to worry about.  So yes, speed is needed, but Actual talent is the real issue.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It sounds like Beane really wants to add a speed guy or two based upon his end of season comments…

Bills where one of the worst YAC teams in the league making the fact they had a top 5 offense even more impressive every other elite offense has guys who can do things after the catch other then Diggs the Bills really don’t 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't be surprised. I think with each of these guys though teams are having to talk themselves into it. There are reasons to talk yourself into Willis, absolutely. As ever it would depend on team and scheme. But I agree he has the highest upside. Just one of the lowest floors too. Pickett and Corral are the two safest but they lack ceiling. 

I don't think there is a true 1st round grade Quarterback among them and I equally wouldn't be surprised if like 2013 only one of them go in the 1st. There is almost nothing in that QB class that would surprise me. 

If Carolina stays at 6 and picks a QB I think Willis is very much in play. Less so if the first QB is in Denver but then I think he would be in play in Washington, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Tampa. 

My thoughts exactly 

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They were not one of the best WR cores.   

Not to say the Bills WR’s weren’t a top 10ish group last year, but there were plenty of teams with more talent there.  

I’m trying to block out these games, but look who’s playing today. 

Rams have Kupp, Beckham, Jefferson and Higbee.  Also thought they’d have Woods. 

Bengals have Chase, Boyd, Higgins and Uzomah. 

Chiefs have Hill, Hardman, Pringle, Kelce. 

49ers have Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk and Jennings. 

Only group I might take ours over is the 49ers, and they’re built to run the ball.  

All those teams also have better RB situations than us… Mixon, CEH/McKinnon, Mitchell etc, Akers/Michel. 

Bills had the most depth at WR.. I’ll give them that.  

I just don't see a need at the WR position. Depends on the Bills board and his medical evaluation. 

Flame away!

Williams is not dropping that far.  He’d be gone by 15.  If he falls further there are serious character issues or the injury is really really bad.

1 hour ago, T master said:

Can't argue that i did here him say that too & it did make me stop & think for a minute what he might mean by saying that but personally i think his down turn in production was more because Sanders was here & they were giving him more reps at 1 point than Bease so i just think if given the same amount of playing time Bease could still do very well with Josh pulling the trigger .

The bottom line, when the Bills needed players to make plays on offense, Beasley showed up against the Chiefs.   

I think they will ask him to take a pay cut.  McKenzie I believe is as good as gone.

55 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Exactly. Our offense isn’t as elite as it’s led to believe. Allen is an animal and is literally the entire offense. He makes throws no one else can and is our best running back. This staff needs to get a clue and takes some of the burden off him. 

Buffalos offense is playing at an elite level, that doesn’t mean you stop getting him more weapons.  As far as I’m concerned, let’s continue to load it up and make it even better.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

Is a clean tear of his ACL really going to drop him from top 10 to late first?

Do we have any recent examples of kids tearing their ACL late in the college season and how it affected their draft stock?

Thing is I don't think he was a lock for the top 10 before. This is a mixed up receiver group. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

This is my fear as well. McD is a defensive guy and unless he takes ownership of the 13 second debacle, I’ll bet he will try to convince Beane he needs more playmakers on defense. Meanwhile, the offense will have to settle for projects and mid rounders that they hope will pan out. 

We do need playmakers on defense, especially at DE. But it's hard to find those late in the 1st round and any player we draft at that range will not be an immediate game changing player this year. I'm hoping Beane signs an impact pass rusher. I would even take Clowney. Then we just have to hope Rousseau takes a big step. I like the idea of taking an explosive playmaker like Williams or Olave because they can step right into the offense and have an impact in year one.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

We only have two of our starting 5 WRs under contract next year if Beasley doesn’t accept a restructure and we only have 1 pass catching te the lines can be added in rounds 3 and 4 we need to get a Josh a weapon or two early in this draft 

Totally agree!! And we only have real 1 TE on the roster we need another one of those too 

Yet another wrong thinking fan that thinks any fat guys can be put on the OL.  Can you please recruit a couple for us the next time you are at Duff's?

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

This shows you know nothing about drafting in the nfl.  Zilch sir

Try me Kool guy.

What do you know?

Shall we draft another really fast guy?

Oh, oh another "lockdown corner"?

How about we simply protect our $250M investment and build an OL that we can actually run behind rather than being met 2 yards behind the OL.

P.S.:  Mom's calling you to come from the basement for supper.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

Is a clean tear of his ACL really going to drop him from top 10 to late first?

Do we have any recent examples of kids tearing their ACL late in the college season and how it affected their draft stock?

Jeffrey Simmons was a top 10 lock before tearing his ACL while preparing for the NFL draft. He ended up falling to 19 and the Titans certainly don't regret that pick. I think Simmons was considered a better prospect than Williams is so I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it to 25.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Jameson Williams is a special talent with the speed that Beane should covet and I'd love for him to fall to the Bills at 25. His injury is the only reason why they would even have a chance to grab him there. I'm more worried that Olave goes earlier than you projected and New England* takes Williams at 21. I would also not be surprised if Beane goes DE or speedy CB at 25, if the board falls his way. I know that won't be popular with many (especially if it's DE) but, despite their investments over the last couple of seasons on the DL, there will be turnover with aging vets.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I know we need speed, but is this kid capable of winning jump balls and being physical?

From what I've read on him, physicality and contested catch ability are weaknesses. But in the modern NFL I think those traits are becoming less valuable. When DBs could interfere with WRs more, you needed total alphas at WR that could out-muscle everyone else on the field. Nowadays it is more valuable to have a WR that can just run past everyone. Separation and speed are more consistent winning traits than contested catch ability. And it adds an element we don't have right now.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Daniel Jeremiah has Williams going to the Chiefs in his mock. I'd prefer we take him than having to play against him and Hill and Kelce in the playoffs for years. 

Nice work as always Gunner! Can't wait to see the 2nd round added.

Without the QBs being slotted in the top 10 this year, we'll get to see which mock drafts have any value....

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I just don't see a need at the WR position. Depends on the Bills board and his medical evaluation. 

At the very least slot WR is a need. Even if you assume Beasley is back he's another year older and in the final year of his contract. Williams can play slot and get some of those manufactured touches that we give to McKenzie right now. We also have needed a WR that can take the top off the defense since John Brown fell off a cliff in 2020. Same goes a WR that gives us YAC. Williams has the advantage of filling all of those needs in a single player.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Why the heck can’t people see this? But, but, but…we need to keep drafting defense to stop Mahomes!!!!

they do say the best offense is a good defense.   One guy in the KC steps up and makes a play on D on any of the last Kc drives and  the outcome is totally different.   

Appreciate the effort and the detail. Excellent work.

So how different would it be taking a WR with an ACL tear than it was taking McGahee?

I appreciate the fact that his value would drop and it would be an intriguing pick. I'd be ok with it if they moved down and picked him in the 2nd round and added another 2nd round pick. 

Other than that scenario this would be about the worst thing Beane could do. He has to be all-in to win a SB next year.  Trade for a proven veteran OL, a pass rusher,  draft a CB#2, or even a 1-tech DT. All of those positions help you win now. Not an injured WR.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We do need playmakers on defense, especially at DE. But it's hard to find those late in the 1st round and any player we draft at that range will not be an immediate game changing player this year. I'm hoping Beane signs an impact pass rusher. I would even take Clowney. Then we just have to hope Rousseau takes a big step. I like the idea of taking an explosive playmaker like Williams or Olave because they can step right into the offense and have an impact in year one.

we definitely need one difference maker that can step in and change the course of a game.   high upside is nice but id really rather not wait 2-3 years to find out if a guy is going to pan out.   we dont have that time to waste right now.  

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Appreciate the effort and the detail. Excellent work.

So how different would it be taking a WR with an ACL tear than it was taking McGahee?

I appreciate the fact that his value would drop and it would be an intriguing pick. I'd be ok with it if they moved down and picked him in the 2nd round and added another 2nd round pick. 

Other than that scenario this would be about the worst thing Beane could do. He has to be all-in to win a SB next year.  Trade for a proven veteran OL, a pass rusher,  draft a CB#2, or even a 1-tech DT. All of those positions help you win now. Not an injured WR.

I think the only option instant impact wise here is to trade the pick for Lb or DL. All CB’s gone.  

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Williams will be fully recovered by the playoffs which is when the Bills season officially starts for the next decade. We have the luxury of being able to be patient with his recovery.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Williams will be fully recovered by the playoffs which is when the Bills season officially starts for the next decade. We have the luxury of being able to be patient with his recovery.

The Bills are almost uniquely positioned to draft him and be patient. Tennessee did it with Simmons and Farley. They could do it again if he reaches them. And then obviously the Chiefs. Almost everyone else would need him to contribute early.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

At the very least slot WR is a need. Even if you assume Beasley is back he's another year older and in the final year of his contract. Williams can play slot and get some of those manufactured touches that we give to McKenzie right now. We also have needed a WR that can take the top off the defense since John Brown fell off a cliff in 2020. Same goes a WR that gives us YAC. Williams has the advantage of filling all of those needs in a single player.

I agree in principle with this take..........but I am quite certain they aren't taking a $7.6M cap hit to keep Cole Beasley around next season.   I could be wrong.........remember that Beane ate $8M that he could have saved by cutting Trent Murphy at the end of TC in 2020,  so he's made very dubious cap decisions like that before.    But they are just so up against the cap this time I think Beasley would be a huge luxury keep because of his on-field decline alone, even if his choices/antics weren't factored in .

But what they really miss about John Brown is that he was the only player they had who could catch a screen pass flat footed at the LOS and burst past the defense for a long play/TD.    He did it several times with the Bills.   Williams, hopefully in a short time, could give them that back......plus signficantly more RAC ability in general........all in a full sized NFL receiver.

• Like (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just Tre if memory serves me right…… But it is a hole with Tres injury and Wallace most likely gone…..they’ve gone defense in the first round in every draft they’ve had here. 

I want them to prioritize offense throughout most of the draft.  

The point is that they have not prioritized via the draft or any real substantive value in FA at the DB spot, they have used caste offs, aging vets, low draft picks and UFA’s to fill in the roster.   Grant it, there is a question mark of when Tre will return and with Levi most likely heading off for bigger bucks, so there is more uncertainty this year at that spot than in years past.  

I as well want to spend our draft capital on the offensive skilled positions and hopefully they go into the season with Dane and Tre and draft a couple early mid to mid rounders on DB’s and develop them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.