Brandon Beane Season Ending Presser Weds 1/27

cage

2 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

It will be interesting to see where the defense is improved. The easy way is trying to upgrade d-end, they were going after watt last year so there may be more of a commitment this off season to getting a guy. But if he's looking at guys in the secondary getting run by I hope he'll look at it objectively and improve what needs to be improved.

So Joe Bus made a big deal out of the lack pass of pass rush on that Hill TD - a play where neither AJE nor GR won their battles. That's where a GM earns his money. Does he look at that play and think - well a DE means Mahomes doesn't get off an easy pass, or does he think - a better corner means Hill isn't quite so open

4 minutes ago, gordong said:

Oline and CB are the probable top draft picks from what I heard today for Beane. 

And this would be the correct approach 

And I'm looking to trade for someone on that Saints defense 

Go bold get Lattimore 

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, appoo said:

So Joe Bus made a big deal out of the lack pass of pass rush on that Hill TD - a play where neither AJE nor GR won their battles. That's where a GM earns his money. Does he look at that play and think - well a DE means Mahomes doesn't get off an easy pass, or does he think - a better corner means Hill isn't quite so open

Sure. We could also improve the pass rush at the DT position too. I just have to think watching those guys run through us for two years in a row will leave an impression. The one Hardman run really didn't have rush in play, in fact I think that was the one where Addison got juked near the sideline.

1 minute ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Sure. We could also improve the pass rush at the DT position too. I just have to think watching those guys run through us for two years in a row will leave an impression. The one Hardman run really didn't have rush in play, in fact I think that was the one where Addison got juked near the sideline.

you could be like the chiefs and pay like a $100M for Chris Jones, Frank Clark, Melvin Ingram, and others— and yet have Josh Allen completely and totally Shred them. 

With Allen and Mahomes, it doesn’t really matter much who you have out there playing D line. 

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

you could be like the chiefs and pay like a $100M for Chris Jones, Frank Clark, Melvin Ingram, and others— and yet have Josh Allen completely and totally Shred them. 

With Allen and Mahomes, it doesn’t really matter much who you have out there playing D line. 

No, it matters. You just need one play from someone in with the game on the line. Look how much Ingram improved the Chiefs d line.

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Agree to disagree. Listening to comments last year after coaching spots were filled and now adding these, I think they're excited about replacing them

well, all I am going off is that Beane presser, and there is nothing in it that suggested to me that they want to move on from Daboll. It is clear they love him.  Probably a moot point, because it seems like he is gone anyway. 

1 minute ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

No, it matters. You just need one play from someone in with the game on the line. Look how much Ingram improved the Chiefs d line.

yeah, I am not necessarily disagreeing. It’s just that the QB play in that game on both sides was so phenomenal that no one was stopping those guys.

As to the upgrades at end, I would put money on Groot becoming a pro bowler next year. We have our Star pass rusher on our roster already. He will take that same step up that TJ Watt took between his rookie and second seasons. 

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

well, all I am going off is that Beane presser, and there is nothing in it that suggested to me that they want to move on from Daboll. It is clear they love him.  Probably a moot point, because it seems like he is gone anyway. 

yeah, I am not necessarily disagreeing. It’s just that the QB play in that game on both sides was so phenomenal that no one was stopping those guys.

As to the upgrades at end, I would put money on Groot becoming a pro bowler next year. We have our Star pass rusher on our roster already. He will take that same step up that TJ Watt took between his rookie and second seasons. 

I'm going to be a little more greedy. I look at it like we need an Aaron donald, von Miller and Leonard floyd to be able to get by KC. I think we have donald/floyd but it would be good to add one more top guy, probably a free agent. I don't think Hughes is that guy anymore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I'm going to be a little more greedy. I look at it like we need an Aaron donald, von Miller and Leonard floyd to be able to get by KC. I think we have donald/floyd but it would be good to add one more top guy, probably a free agent. I don't think Hughes is that guy anymore.

this is exactly right, a guy who on the defense front 7 can dictate the game at times.  

59 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Beasley is tough as nails and catches just about everything 

Beasely brought unnecessary crap not just on himself but into his teammates who had to answer repeated questions about him.

His YAC ability makes me yack.
We need to bring in younger, faster guys who are threat to actually do something after the catch.

• Disagree 2

"I haven't watched the film, to be honest with ya.... I can't watch it right now, I'm not in a good spot".

I give Beane a lot of credit.  No excuses, he stood there and took it like a man.  I'm confident we're in good hands in the FO.  Beane did his job and got the right bodies on the field to win the Super Bowl, except for the coach.  He said that he and McD were going to learn from this.  I hope McD does learn, because I don't know how many more playoff losses I can take where McD chokes it away.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Beasely brought unnecessary crap not just on himself but into his teammates who had to answer repeated questions about him.

His YAC ability makes me yack.
We need to bring in younger, faster guys who are threat to actually do something after the catch.

How do you know his teammates care about having to answer questions?  If anything, he was standing up and protecting guys like our new #2WR who scored 4 TD's in a Playoff Game.  

I think we should really evaluate whether or not he's right for this team next year based on ability, but some of you need to stop projecting your views on a certain topic onto team chemistry.  By all indications, he's respected and loved by his teammates.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

"I haven't watched the film, to be honest with ya.... I can't watch it right now, I'm not in a good spot".

I give Beane a lot of credit.  No excuses, he stood there and took it like a man.  I'm confident we're in good hands in the FO.  Beane did his job and got the right bodies on the field to win the Super Bowl, except for the coach.  He said that he and McD were going to learn from this.  I hope McD does learn, because I don't know how many more playoff losses I can take where McD chokes it away.

I have to disagree wrt Bean.  Bean did not get the bodies on the field to win the SB.  We did not have a RB1 (not that it mattered with Allen this year, but could have cost us home field), nor did Bean fix the defense in the offseason.  He tried by throwing darts at two DEs in the draft, but that didn't work.   He failed to trade for Von Miller at the trade deadline.

Totally agree on McD/Frazier chocking and playing scared at big moments at the end of games.    

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I have to disagree wrt Bean.  Bean did not get the bodies on the field to win the SB.  We did not have a RB1 (not that it mattered with Allen this year, but could have cost us home field), nor did Bean fix the defense in the offseason.  He tried by throwing darts at two DEs in the draft, but that didn't work.   He failed to trade for Von Miller at the trade deadline.

Totally agree on McD/Frazier chocking and playing scared at big moments at the end of games.    

He's not perfect, and we can certainly criticize him for the lack of impact generated by the heavy investment at DL and back to back 3rd RD running backs - However, that team he built had a 3 point lead (95% chance to win) with 13 seconds left against the defending AFC Champions with the right to play the AFC CG at home on the line.   

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Process said:

"I don't see us being big spenders" - Beane on FA

great, more average additions to the D, and more average results and an early playoff exit.  Sucks for Josh to have to watch that shi* show from the sidelines.  

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

He's not perfect, and we can certainly criticize him for the lack of impact generated by the heavy investment at DL and back to back 3rd RD running backs - However, that team he built had a 3 point lead (95% chance to win) with 13 seconds left against the defending AFC Champions with the right to play the AFC CG at home on the line.   

I'm not absolving the horrendous coaching at all.  It's really both, personnel and coaching.  If you hire Frazier, who only really rushes 4, you need a stud DE.  And our strategy was to draft one and hope he was a day 1 stud.  Mind boggling.  

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

That roster was good enough to win a Super Bowl.  We would have if McD hadn't choked it away.  Could the roster have been better?  Sure, it could have.  But it was good enough.  It will be better next year, and I hope McD is up to it.  

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It sure caused friction outside the facility....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

That roster was good enough to win a Super Bowl.  We would have if McD hadn't choked it away.  Could the roster have been better?  Sure, it could have.  But it was good enough.  It will be better next year, and I hope McD is up to it.  

I just don't agree with this.  We got gashed on the ground v. the Colts to the tune of 45 points.  That mostly on the players.  We failed to do anything against Jax--players.  Coaching is def an issue, but if we had better players, esp. an impact player in the front 7 and a RB1, we would have been the 1 seed and the outcome is much different v. KC.  

I was amazed and encouraged by how well the OL pass blocked against the Chiefs. Didn’t hear at all from Chris Jones or Frank Clark really, though Ingram made a few plays. What do you do in this situation? A finesse OL that doesn’t run block well, but can pass block efficiently. Who do you look to upgrade? Bates? He wasn’t at all a weakness. Is Morse sticking around?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Norwood didn't choke.  He missed a kick that he didn't normally make.  He was a very accurate kicker on short-range kicks, but to kick from 47-48 yards out (which in those days was a long FG - it's a more routine distance these days), from the right hash, on grass - not to mention the pressure of the situation - is not a kick Norwood would typically make.  Yes, he could have risen to the occassion and didn't, but it wasn't a choke.  Sunday's final 13 seconds was a true choke.  Effectively keeping a team out of FG range in 13 seconds, including a kickoff, is something that a team would normally be able to do.

To expound...  At the time 49 yds would've tied his career long & would've been the longest kick in Superbowl history (or at least on grass; I don't recall specifics).

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, appoo said:

I’d like another disruptor who can pressure from the interior. Oliver is the only one on roster who gives you that consistently. Would like to add someone next to him

I don't think Levi is going to come cheap. 

I read an article about him on the Athletic and Levi views himself as one of the Best Off Ball corners since Tre went down. 

Couple that with his Agent basically saying the Bills looked every which way to upgrade him the past two years, I think his agent and him have taken the mindset that you want to keep me, show me the money. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.