Brandon Beane Season Ending Presser Weds 1/27

cage

25 minutes ago, gordong said:

Look we closed the gap, last year the chiefs game was one sided this year it was a tossup....   now we need to go the rest of the way....   we need a guy on defense the  other teams need to gameplay for...   somehow someway they need to figure out how to get that guy.

Or we could just do what's almost certain to work: Get Josh a receiver or two who has the speed to scare defenses and turn short passes into long gains.  We're not drafting anyone this year who's going to shut down Hill or Kelce, and at any rate, our defense is already at least as good as KC's. 

Edited by mannc

3 hours ago, Southtown Tommy said:

Just imagine if Edmunds made one or two big-time plays during the KC game.  They need a game changing player on defense - they have alot of good to very good players, but nobody elite or at a star level.  The offense did all they could that game, the defense let them down.

I think you are right during the game the chiefs kept on passing the ball right in front of him and he never would get into the passing lanes to stop it.

Just now, mannc said:

Or we could just do what's almost certain to work: Get Josh a receiver or two who has the speed to scare defenses and turn short passes into long gains.  We're not drafting anyone this year who's going to shut down Hill or Kelce and at any rate, our defense is already at least as good as KC's. 

I don't know about this. We play a ton of Cover 2/4/6 because I don't think McDermott are confident their off corner can handle their jobs. Getting a 2nd corner means you're able to drop one of Poyer and Micah into a shallow zone far more often than the Bills do - especially against good teams. 

Think about the Hill TD - that was one of the rare times the Bills were in straight cover 1 with Micah Hyde over the top. Hill utterly dusted Levi on a crosser, and with everyone manned, they didn't even realize he had the ball until he was at full speed, and that's game over. 

A corner who's 30% better than Levi probably means Hill doesn't have a full 2 feet of seperation - and it also means you can unleash your really talented safeties. 

I think someone like Rasul Douglas makes this defense A LOT better

We've closed the gap... but don't underestimate the other up-and-coming teams in the AFC.  Thinking of Chargers and Bengals in particular.  who are #2 and #4 in cap space respectively.  It's going to be a challenge just getting to this point every single year.   This season had the clearest path, especially now with Packers AND Bucs eliminated.... but... that's where I shut down my thought processes... else depression sets in.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

I don't know about this. We play a ton of Cover 2/4/6 because I don't think McDermott are confident their off corner can handle their jobs. Getting a 2nd corner means you're able to drop one of Poyer and Micah into a shallow zone far more often than the Bills do - especially against good teams. 

Think about the Hill TD - that was one of the rare times the Bills were in straight cover 1 with Micah Hyde over the top. Hill utterly dusted Levi on a crosser, and with everyone manned, they didn't even realize he had the ball until he was at full speed, and that's game over. 

A corner who's 30% better than Levi probably means Hill doesn't have a full 2 feet of seperation - and it also means you can unleash your really talented safeties. 

I hear ya, but those crossing routes that Hill runs are by design set up to force coverage to get caught up in traffic -- essentially Reid likes running these "legal" pick plays. That's why Tre White has also had trouble at times keeping up with White. Of course, the best defense for that is to rough Hill up at the line of scrimmage and get some pressure on Mahomes as these crossing routes take a long time to develop.

The Bills undoubtedly need a difference maker as a pass rusher (free agency) and a sturdy CB (either via the draft or free agency).

Just now, BobBelcher said:

I'd be down with bringing back Isaiah Mckenzie and letting Beasley and Manny both walk.   Davis deserves to be WR2 also.

Beasley is tough as nails and catches just about everything 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, 2003Contenders said:

I hear ya, but those crossing routes that Hill runs are by design set up to force coverage to get caught up in traffic -- essentially Reid likes running these "legal" pick plays. That's why Tre White has also had trouble at times keeping up with White. Of course, the best defense for that is to rough Hill up at the line of scrimmage and get some pressure on Mahomes as these crossing routes take a long time to develop.

The Bills undoubtedly need a difference maker as a pass rusher (free agency) and a sturdy CB (either via the draft or free agency).

That wasn't a pick play, I think the Bills were trying to bait Mahomes into throwing it deep where they had Micah able to help. The right side cleared with straight flys, the RB took Edmunds attention, and Hill simply claimed the space. 

For me, I'd rather put the money into a corner opposite Tre rather than a pass rusher. The Bills moved MAhomes out of his spot fairly consistently, and that's not why they lost. Actually I think the defense did well considering the personnel available to them - and that was the limiting factor. I'd rather spend on a corner to free up the safeties to be more dangerous in the intermediate game against good teams. 

How many underneath guys are still in league like Cole. As small as he is. I respect him

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Dudes washed. Hope he’s gone. They need a YAC beast…. But they seem to love to just let Josh do everything while they build up their failing defense.

Disagree. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He spoke about Sanders in the past tense but could just be because he’s on an expiring contract and Cole isn’t. And no one asked him directly about sanders as they did Cole. 

I'm just thinking math.  But the real question is if the Bills can afford to lose both McKenzie and Sanders. My assumption heading into the offseason was the Bills would keep Isiah, lose both Cole and Sanders, and invest in another position while using late draft picks as depth for WR. 

Dunno, the offense loses it's only speed thread without McKenzie

Edited by appoo

11 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

We've closed the gap... but don't underestimate the other up-and-coming teams in the AFC.  Thinking of Chargers and Bengals in particular.  who are #2 and #4 in cap space respectively.  It's going to be a challenge just getting to this point every single year.   This season had the clearest path, especially now with Packers AND Bucs eliminated.... but... that's where I shut down my thought processes... else depression sets in.

"What if"--- two of the most horrible words.

15 minutes ago, appoo said:

Don't get me wrong, I do think we should add a CB in this draft, preferably one with some speed (of course).  (Some kick return ability would be a bonus.)  What I'm against is the idea that we need to spend more premium picks on the defensive line to try to "affect Mahomes".  We've already spent four premium picks on those guys in the last three drafts.  We need to give them time to develop before we double-down on this strategy.  

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

Don't get me wrong, I do think we should add a CB in this draft, preferably one with some speed (of course).  (Some kick return ability would be a bonus.)  What I'm against is the idea that we need to spend more premium picks on the defensive line to try to "affect Mahomes".  We've already spend four premium picks on those guys in the last three drafts.  We need to give them time to develop before we double-down on this strategy.  

I agree with this. I'm not unhappy with how Rousseou developed this year either, and I thought I saw AJ flash a few times against KC as well. 

I want to put resources into the secondary. Whether it's a trade or FA or moving up the draft I dunno

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Dudes washed. Hope he’s gone. They need a YAC beast…. But they seem to love to just let Josh do everything while they build up their failing defense.

YAC is a huge concern. I know at one point Bills were last in the league and I am assuming they finished the season last. 

This offense desperately needs a playmaker. At least Beane has mentioned Tyreek Hill and speed a few times. I hope he's serious about adding that to the offense.

Beasley can still he a contributer on another team but the Bills have no need for him at this point.

• Agree 2

Just now, appoo said:

I agree with this. I'm not unhappy with how Rousseou developed this year either, and I thought I saw AJ flash a few times against KC as well. 

I want to put resources into the secondary. Whether it's a trade or FA or moving up the draft I dunno

I can definitely see us drafting at least two defensive backs this year. We've had a lot of success there and they tend to be core special teamers, too. 

30 minutes ago, mannc said:

Or we could just do what's almost certain to work: Get Josh a receiver or two who has the speed to scare defenses and turn short passes into long gains.  We're not drafting anyone this year who's going to shut down Hill or Kelce, and at any rate, our defense is already at least as good as KC's. 

Deeee Jayyyy Chark doo doo do do doo doo

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, appoo said:

And if they do that....well. That means no upgrades to the secondary

I mean, I'd love to have him back on a peanuts contract too, but not for market value.  

I don't know that you can read too much into these types of comments. 

Just now, SCBills said:

I mean, I'd love to have him back on a peanuts contract too, but not for market value.  

I don't know that you can read too much into these types of comments. 

Beane also likes depth.  He knows they need to get faster on the defensive side of the ball.  I expect they will be targeting CBs in the draft.

3 minutes ago, Process said:

YAC is a huge concern. I know at one point Bills were last in the league and I am assuming they finished the season last. 

This offense desperately needs a playmaker. At least Beane has mentioned Tyreek Hill and speed a few times. I hope he's serious about adding that to the offense.

Beasley can still he a contributer on another team but the Bills have no need for him at this point.

This is too harsh. We can go get a playmaker and still have Beasley. 

Brady's bread and butter in the EP offense was always sure handed guys that can get open from the slot: Troy Brown, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman... sure handed finding soft spots on the defense to keep the chains moving, it's a staple in the EP.

I'd like some dynamic ability as well, but that doesn't mean dump Beasley.

Honestly, I'd rather fill Sanders spot with a playmaker and keep Bease.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

And if they do that....well. That means no upgrades to the secondary

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm thinking we need to get a safety that has a little better speed to help bring some of these guys down. Maybe draft a guy and work him in the rotation next year. When McD came in the narrative has been they don't need a whole lot of physical talent at safety but I'm wondering if they're going to rethink it.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm thinking we need to get a safety that has a little better speed to help bring some of these guys down. Maybe draft a guy and work him in the rotation next year. When McD came in the narrative has been they don't need a whole lot of physical talent at safety but I'm wondering if they're going to rethink it.

I said in another thread that my spiciest take would be replacing one of Micah and Poyer with someone like Jaquan Brisker - a dynamic safety who can run, cover and hit. 

I honestly think the Bills need more speed at both Safety and Corner

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I have a strange feeling that One Bills Live won't actually carry the whole thing, and they'll take commercials and then later "bring us some of his more noteworthy comments."

This is too funny! It happened exactly like this. Chris Brown cuts out to go to a commercial and then says "We'll bring you some of his more notable comments." I'm dead 🤣🤣🤣

50 minutes ago, Process said:

"I don't see us being big spenders" - Beane on FA

I don't have a problem with Beane not going out and spending big in FA, given that we have people to re-sign and such

Unless he means we're not going to re-sign our own who are FA?  There are several I feel it would be a mistake to move on from

I do have a problem with a general pattern that many here have talked about, where other teams strategically make a move or addition during the season that turns out to significantly bolster an area of need - Ingram, OBJ, etc etc.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, appoo said:

I said in another thread that my spiciest take would be replacing one of Micah and Poyer with someone like Jaquan Brisker - a dynamic safety who can run, cover and hit. 

Yeah, I wouldn't mind them getting a man cover corner to be able to bring in at times. Sort of like how they rotate the defensive line.

Where we're picking we would probably have to give up some size to get value on guys with the speed.

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

They have two All Pro safeties they LOVE and two young guys they’re very high on as well.  Unless you’re talking about an upgrade from Neal I don’t really see them going in that direction unless some blue chip prospect falls into their laps on draft day.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They have two All Pro safeties they LOVE and two young guys they’re very high on as well.  Unless you’re talking about an upgrade from Neal I don’t really see them going in that direction unless some blue chip prospect falls into their laps on draft day.

You can definitely work with those guys and win a super bowl - but I don't think you can have three guys back there with average speed and defend elite offenses consistently - and I love both Poyer/Hyde but they are definitely average athletes, while Levi is also an average athlete for his position. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, appoo said:

You can definitely work with those guys and win a super bowl - but I don't think you can have three guys back there with average speed and defend elite offenses consistently - and I love both Poyer/Hyde but they are definitely average athletes, while Levi is also an average athlete for his position. 

I am with you I just don’t think they are.  McFrazier would cut off his arm before he’d part with one of those two.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

I am with you I just don’t think they are.  McFrazier would cut off his arm before he’d part with one of those two.

It will be interesting to see where the defense is improved. The easy way is trying to upgrade d-end, they were going after watt last year so there may be more of a commitment this off season to getting a guy. But if he's looking at guys in the secondary getting run by I hope he'll look at it objectively and improve what needs to be improved.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

10 years down the line, I think we're going to look back at Poyer and Hyde as legends, so I can appreciate that, and I'd imagine every coach would love to have safeties as good, smart and charismatic as Hyde and Poyer - I mean ultimately they were central in turning around the drought years culture, along with McDermott and some others.  So I can appreciate and empathize with that hesitancy. It's easy for me to sit there as a fan and say time to move on from one of them, because I'm not in that locker room and I don't know the intangible impact to the locker room and scheme.  

But hopefully they at least entertain the possibility, and if not at safety - doing so elsewhere. Because running it back is just going mean next January we're gonna get our hearts broken again

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.