Should the Bills extend Edmunds?

Victory Formation

Should the Bills extend Edmunds?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Edmunds?

• Extend him! He’s still young and developing, he will come stound!
    • Let him walk after his contract is up, he sucks!
    • Trade Edmunds for picks in the 2022 & 2023 draft!

I find if kind of funny the most popular choice is to trade him when you consider that it seems like about 75% of the posters here say he sucks.  If so, why would any team trade for him unless they are happy getting a 6th or 7th rounder in return as that's all a guy who sucks is worth?

If they don't extend him or find a trade partner they are on the hook for a $12.7 mil cap hit so realistically the only option likely is to extend him.  Do think the Bills and most everyone not an arm chair GM thinks much higher of him too.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

I think a lot may depend on who the DC is going forward. If Frazier goes, McDermott could opt for a coordinator with a more aggressive approach with regard to the front 7.  Whatever is decided, it’s a certainty that the weak run defense has to be addressed. Edmunds is a liability.

Fixed that for you.

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I find if kind of funny the most popular choice is to trade him when you consider that it seems like about 75% of the posters here say he sucks.  If so, why would any team trade for him unless they are happy getting a 6th or 7th rounder in return as that's all a guy who sucks is worth?

If they don't extend him or find a trade partner they are on the hook for a $12.7 mil cap hit so realistically the only option likely is to extend him.  Do think the Bills and most everyone not an arm chair GM thinks much higher of him too.

Beane blew it by picking up the 5th year option, I said it then and I’ll say it again, there was no reason to do it.  He hasn’t been worth what he’s been paid and the 12M GUARANTEED money you are locked into for next year would have been marginally more IF he started to play at a high level, now you are stuck with his useless ass for another year because of the cap hit to get rid of him.  Plain stupid on Beane.

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Fixed that for you.

Beane blew it by picking up the 5th year option, I said it then and I’ll say it again, there was no reason to do it.  He hasn’t been worth what he’s been paid and the 12M GUARANTEED money you are locked into for next year would have been marginally more IF he started to play at a high level, now you are stuck with his useless ass for another year because of the cap hit to get rid of him.  Plain stupid on Beane.

I assume if they hadn't given him the option, they could have still franchised him this off-season if they couldn't agree on a deal.  That would have givne them another year to evaluate him.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know why some pine for using Edmunds in a more aggressive role at OLB. I’ve never seen a guy as big as he is get pushed around so easily. He gets absolutely stoned by RBs! I won’t even bring up tight ends, he’s not getting past them either. It’s like he has no lower body strength and almost all his tackles are arm tackles where he kind of slinks off the ball carrier. He’s got physical gifts from a testing standpoint, but doesn’t have the instincts or functional strength to capitalize on them. Mentioning his name in the same breath as Micah Parsons? That’s simply wishful thinking, nothing more.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I don’t know why some pine for using Edmunds in a more aggressive role at OLB. I’ve never seen a guy as big as he is get pushed around so easily. He gets absolutely stoned by RBs! I won’t even bring up tight ends, he’s not getting past them either. It’s like he has no lower body strength and almost all his tackles are arm tackles where he kind of slinks off the ball carrier. He’s got physical gifts from a testing standpoint, but doesn’t have the instincts or functional strength to capitalize on them. Mentioning his name in the same breath as Micah Parsons? That’s simply wishful thinking, nothing more.

That is the perfect analysis of his game.   A guy his size comes blitzing in, before contact stutters, pauses and and cant get past the back, when a guy with his size and speed should just truck the rb.   Seen it time and time again.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It’s absolutely confounding how the same people can watch both these guys play at the same time and think one is incredible and the other is replacement level. 

They are both middling. One is an over achiever and one is an under achiever to but to roughly the same mean. 

also has anyone noticed when Tremaine is out they don’t move Milano to Mike? What does that tell you?? 

one is Doug Flutie and one is Rob Johnson.. neither are going to dominate a game when you need it, or make that huge play when it matters. 

Jesus dude. Neither guy is Ray Lewis but anyone who has eye balls can see Milano is a better all around  linebacker than Tremaine. And when the team eventually trades TE or let's him walk your deepest fears will be realized. And using the Kelce td as part of your argument is so adorable. The only person who can guard the greatest TE of all time is Kelce himself. 

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Don't give these GMs any credit. There are plenty of morons out there.  Seattle has a good one and he gave up two first round picks for a safety that is terrible in pass coverage.  Beane could get a first and 3rd for Edmunds easily or an elite OL.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Don't even sweat it.  I've known the Bills were destined to extend Edmunds at huge dollars ever since this article was written:  https://theathletic.com/2875908/2021/10/08/why-cant-tremaine-edmunds-win-over-bills-fans-when-hes-viewed-as-a-special-player-outside-of-buffalo/

The Narrative has already taken hold.  Bills fans are backwards-thinking idiots who can't recognize greatness.  (the subtext is that we're racist).  Bills will have to extend Edmunds

3 minutes ago, harryS said:

Don't even sweat it.  I've known the Bills were destined to extend Edmunds at huge dollars ever since this article was written:  https://theathletic.com/2875908/2021/10/08/why-cant-tremaine-edmunds-win-over-bills-fans-when-hes-viewed-as-a-special-player-outside-of-buffalo/

The Narrative has already taken hold.  Bills fans are backwards-thinking idiots who can't recognize greatness.  (the subtext is that we're racist).  Bills will have to extend Edmunds

We’re being trolled by other coaching staffs. Multiple teams were pump faking and throwing it right behind him. They were creating/running new plays specifically just to clown Edmunds on crucial first downs.

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Jesus dude. Neither guy is Ray Lewis but anyone who has eye balls can see Milano is a better all around  linebacker than Tremaine. And when the team eventually trades TE or let's him walk your deepest fears will be realized. And using the Kelce td as part of your argument is so adorable. The only person who can guard the greatest TE of all time is Kelce himself. 

a lot of coaches players and fans with Eyeballs disagree on who is better: 

2× Pro Bowl (2019, 2020)

First team All-ACC (2017)

Second team All-ACC (2016)

explain why they are all so blind and don’t see the transcendent talent of the overachieving undersized 5th rounder that occasionally makes a play, whiffs on sacks, gets targeted in man pass coverage and get steam rolled in run blocking. 

This defense needs those two positions to be excellent. Neither are. 

They either need to find a team that will trade for him or they need to extend him and get that cap hit down. Letting him play next season at that number and likely walk as a FA next off season would not be a smart move.

Personally, I think trading him is the better move. But, I won't be shocked if he is back.

I am very conflicted on this, and I am not sure where to go with it. It has been said in this thread that Tremaine seems like a guy who would be more effective in another more attacking scheme, a Baltimore type of defense. It reminds me of a "Poz not wanting to play in a 3-4" situation. I am not sure where I stand. I do think that the coaches ask a lot of Tremaine and that is why he never makes splash plays or seems like he is always out of position. I think they ask him to do things that other backers aren't asked to do. And that's the thing. When you look at coaches tape etc, I think he is probably a very effective player, and that is where the "coaches love him, fans do not notion" comes from. 

That said, if you are trying to formulate a trade, I think you have to look to other players who have had their 5th year option picked up who are likely not long for their current team. Now, I am not saying we should move on from Tremaine 100% because I am not there yet. But if we do, these are the options imo: 

Option 1 is Bradley Chubb. He has been effective in the past and had some sacks. He was hurt and terrible this year. I also think he is a base 4-3 end who is playing outside linebacker. I think he is a great fit for what we want to do. This would depend on who Denver hires. His salary replaces Hughes and Addison and takes Edmunds off the books. 

Option 2 is Daron Payne. I don't think Washington wants to move him, but they have a glaring hole at linebacker that they have not been able to fill. Also, it will be hard for them to pay Payne as well as the rest of those guys on the defensive line. He would be a beast next to Ed. All that said, we are kind of creating a similar problem for ourselves, because you may not be able to extend Oliver and Payne. I also think a possibility is Montez Sweat. He has been very good when healthy, and since he is a member of the 2019 draft class, they will have to make a decision on his fifth year option soon. Can they afford all these guys?  

Option 3 is Saquon Barkley, but I am not sure that is fully doable. 

Now if you trade Tremaine, you have to fill the hole. Maybe AJ Klein is okay for a year while you draft and develop another linebacker. This is not ideal for a team with Super Bowl aspirations, but KC just did this with Nick Bolton. Free agents that make some sense De'Vondre Campbell, Leighton Vander Esch, Josey Jewell, Jayon Brown, Anthony Walker Jr., Ja'waun Bentley, Kwon Alexander And here is the thing...inside off ball linebackers are usually pretty undervalued. So you can get a guy who will likely be cheaper than Tremaine's fifth year option. The question is, can you find a guy who can project to handle the assignments that he is given? 

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I do think that the coaches ask a lot of Tremaine and that is why he never makes splash plays or seems like he is always out of position. I think they ask him to do things that other backers aren't asked to do. And that's the thing. When you look at coaches tape etc, I think he is probably a very effective player, and that is where the "coaches love him, fans do not notion" comes from. 

I will agree with you on this.   They do ask a lot of him.   You could see in the KC game especially it was hard for him to have eyes on Kelce,  McKinnon and Mahomes at the same time so on a lot of plays he would end up somewhere in the middle.   The second quarter of the game specifically he had 3 consecutive blown coverages first the pass to Kelcey over the middle, then another pass over the middle to Pringle and finally he let let Helaire run right by him for a 22yrd run.   

I would rather him be decisive on a play, sometimes be wrong but sometimes make the huge play than always be 5yrds off no matter what leaving opposing teams just rip off 10 and 15 yard chunks in the middle of the field at will. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If we got an offer of a pick for Edmunds, what pick is anyone here willing to take in order to move him?

3rd rounder?.. do you take that deal?

I think we could do better, but yeah, I'd probably take that deal if it was the best offer.

I'd like to see him traded for another player. Either a DB or OG.

Find someone else from 2018 1st round on a 5th year, or from the 2019 2nd round. Two teams looking for a change of scenery. Like we did with Hughes/Sheppard.

• Like (+1) 1

Too bad we can’t get a real, candid response from the team about Edmunds. If McBeane were asked about him, I’d imagine we’d hear “he’s captain of the number one defense in the NFL. He played his best ball this year and is only getting better. Pro bowl alternate. We’re happy with Tremaine.” 🤢🤮

Edited by JayBaller10

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think we could do better, but yeah, I'd probably take that deal if it was the best offer.

I'd like to see him traded for another player. Either a DB or OG.

Find someone else from 2018 1st round on a 5th year, or from the 2019 2nd round. Two teams looking for a change of scenery. Like we did with Hughes/Sheppard.

This should be the strategy. Make a trade and get a good CB or OG.  Unless someone offers a 2nd. I just don't know if a 3rd is enough?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This should be the strategy. Make a trade and get a good CB or OG.  Unless someone offers a 2nd. I just don't know if a 3rd is enough?

This defense needs at least two CBs. Apparently this draft is really deep at corner. Levi and Dane are great backups, but neither of these guys can compete against elite receivers. Not to mention Tre is coming off an ACL, I think at this moment I think the Bills will draft one RD1 and will double dip later on.

13 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

This defense needs at least two CBs. Apparently this draft is really deep at corner. Levi and Dane are great backups, but neither of these guys can compete against elite receivers. Not to mention Tre is coming off an ACL, I think at this moment I think the Bills will draft one RD1 and will double dip later on.

Was there a game after Tre went out that Wallace and Jackson were blatantly exposed? I can't think of a game that we lost that I walked away thinking "Those CBs are horrible, I can't wait until Tre comes back".

Not saying the squad can't be improved, and I do expect us to go CB early in the draft, I'm just not convinced it's top priority. Especially over OG/OC or LB.

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Was there a game after Tre went out that Wallace and Jackson were blatantly exposed? I can't think of a game that we lost that I walked away thinking "Those CBs are horrible, I can't wait until Tre comes back".

Not saying the squad can't be improved, and I do expect us to go CB early in the draft, I'm just not convinced it's top priority. Especially over OG/OC or LB.

Chiefs.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Luka said:

Nope. He's not shown the improvement you'd expect to see out of a guy with his physical talent. He does not have the instincts and they clearly aren't teachable.

If the Bills can't admit that 49 is a glaring liability in the most important position on defense then they will never win a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, realtruelove said:

If the Bills can't admit that 49 is a glaring liability in the most important position on defense then they will never win a Super Bowl.

Didnt Beane say Star was a force before getting covid.   Starting to really worry about Beane's evaluation of D talent.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Don't give these GMs any credit. There are plenty of morons out there.  Seattle has a good one and he gave up two first round picks for a safety that is terrible in pass coverage.  Beane could get a first and 3rd for Edmunds easily or an elite OL.

You're probably right, because he is viewed much higher by actual real NFL people than the morons here.

30 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

You're probably right, because he is viewed much higher by actual real NFL people than the morons here.

Says who?  He wasn't voted all-pro.  He was voted into the ProBowl in the past by the fans.  His second ProBowl season was a joke. He was injured and played worse than he did his rookie year.  We have no idea what real NFL people think about him.  

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Says who?  He wasn't voted all-pro.  He was voted into the ProBowl in the past by the fans.  His second ProBowl season was a joke. He was injured and played worse than he did his rookie year.  We have no idea what real NFL people think about him.  

Incorrect.  Pro bowl voting is done by fans, players, and coaches, each group is 1/3.  So yes REAL NFL people (unlike you) voted him to pro bowl

You'd think something that simple that took about took 2 seconds to verify, you'd actually have your facts straight on.  But hey when you have an agenda, just make stuff up as you go along.

And you call GM's morons!! LOL

On 1/26/2022 at 2:19 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Chiefs.....Wallace & Dane got abused. They were awful. 

Here’s a fun exercise.

Go to Pro Football Reference, search up names of top LBs this year. 

Go to advanced game logs for 2021, note it has how many times a LB was targeted in coverage, what the completions and percentage were. Go look at all the LBs you’d rather have over Edmunds. Look at their missed tackle percentage. 

Now go look up Edmunds. His numbers are rock solid. Completion percentage against him is respectable, and his targets are low. Read that again, go double check the numbers. His targets are low. They should be sky high, triple digits. QBs don’t challenge him much. Why?

Why? Because he’s steady and consistent. He defends a respectable amount of passes (this was actually his worst statistical year in coverage) and he misses a low percentage of tackles. 

I think I understand what the coaches absolutely love about this kid. He’s a great leader, great field communicator, and he’s consistently steady (even though fans want splashy). 

Fun side note, after go check Matt Milano’s numbers. Dude is an elite coverage LB which also plays into why Edmunds doesn’t always pass the eye test.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.