most underrated move by Beane during his time here

dave mcbride

14 minutes ago, mbs said:

Trading Sammy and Darby for picks and chaff. That was the point where I figured he was either a serious man committed to a plan or just plain stupid. Super gutsy. Honorable mention: the mid-season trade of Darius, same reason.

There was a river of tears flowing on this forum when Beane cleaned house, but it was a very important step in moving forward. Getting rid of Dareus' contract for no return would have been a steal in itself.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, njbuff said:

Signing Matt Haack. 😁

To be fair to Haack, he was having a terrible game, but in crunch time, he came through, nailing the Jets at the 2. They couldn't move it, the Bills got good field position as a result, and the rest was history. I always admire players who fight through adversity and doing something good in the end. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I'd simply add moving up 10 in the first round to the top half is way more valuable in a rich QB draft than a straight-up second round pick.

True. The other thing was the Bills had already drafted their left tackle of the future in Dawkins who has played probably more than they planned as a rookie and secondly, 4 years later, the Benglas are still looking for a left tackle, or frankly any tackle who can.... you know.... block. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Who gets credit for Poyer?  Hyde was a great signing but he was a known quantity. They signed on the same day.  Poyer was an afterthought for some. I watched a lot of OSU football due to my in-laws and was always impressed with the kid.  Now he’s him. 

Yes, i realize Beane was hired 2 months after Poyer was signed. But what a great signing. 4 years 13M

I seem to recall reading that someone on McDermott's staff, who had been with Cleveland, recommended he look at him.  Not 100% sure though.

Edited by TPS
  • Agree 1

I'll go with an organizational move.  Although technically Pegula pulled the plug, I credit Beane with (a) blowing up the old scouting staff and (b) bringing in a new one.  Like within 5 minutes of walking in the building.  Because I'd had enough of head-scratching drafts year-in and year-out.  The front office suddenly felt like the grown ups with a plan had grabbed the helm.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Whites Bay said:

I'll go with an organizational move.  Although technically Pegula pulled the plug, I credit Beane with (a) blowing up the old scouting staff and (b) bringing in a new one.  Like within 5 minutes of walking in the building.  Because I'd had enough of head-scratching drafts year-in and year-out.  The front office suddenly felt like the grown ups with a plan had grabbed the helm.

Are you sure that was Beane?  I think that was done shortly after the draft, then they let Whaley and the scouting staff go, then did the "search" for a new GM

2 minutes ago, TPS said:

Are you sure that was Beane?  I think that was done shortly after the draft, then they let Whaley and the scouting staff go, then did the "search" for a new GM

Yea they cleared house before Beane was hired. Now who knows how much that Beane thing was a done deal (I have always suspected it was) and how much conversations happened in the background, but the decision to blow it up was Terry's with prompting from Sean. 

• Agree 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea they cleared house before Beane was hired. Now who knows how much that Beane thing was a done deal (I have always suspected it was) and how much conversations happened in the background, but the decision to blow it up was Terry's with prompting from Sean. 

I believe the same thing, and that's my point.  I've gone through reorgs like this in my career.  They didn't just hire a GM, they hired a package deal.  Amazing how blindingly fast it all came together.  Almost like it was on the drawing board.

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

To be fair to Haack, he was having a terrible game, but in crunch time, he came through, nailing the Jets at the 2. They couldn't move it, the Bills got good field position as a result, and the rest was history. I always admire players who fight through adversity and doing something good in the end. 

Still stuns me…clearly he had some method to kick low liners into the wind but after the first shank why did he keep trying it 😂 

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Both Miami and AZ would have taken Allen. Gase LOVED Allen and thought he was generational player (he was right about that). AZ loved him too but had to settle for Rosen. Without that 12th pick, the Bills wouldn't have had the high-end ammo.

That has nothing to do with it.........they still had the 22nd pick and a second rounder to move up ahead of those teams with.

When they made the Mahomes pick trade with KC and later when Beane traded Watkins and Darby they did so expecting to need ALL of those picks to move up to get their QB.

As it turned out it didn't cost that much to move up and some dumb teams passed on QB's for runnin' bax and interior offensive lineman.:lol:

So it wasn't as if they didn't have the ammunition to get up to #7 before that trade............it just allowed them to still trade up for and draft Edmunds.........who has been solid but really unspectacular..........in a draft that produced two legit All Pro ILB's in the 50 picks after him.

13 minutes ago, TPS said:

I seem to recall reading that someone on McDermott's staff, who had been with Cleveland, recommended he look at him.  Not 100% sure though.

Yeah I saw that too.  One of the coaches that worked with Poyer when they were both with the browns.  Forgot who it was though 

50 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Not bad for second place…we still could’ve used Tyrod though as peterman was absolute dogsh*t and it led to us forcing our rookie qb into action on a terrible roster earlier than planned.  I feel like cordy was completely expendable when we traded him.

Completely disagree. Allen is who he is today because of that experience and being able to fail and figure out the game by playing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That has nothing to do with it.........they still had the 22nd pick and a second rounder to move up ahead of those teams with.

When they made the Mahomes pick trade with KC and later when Beane traded Watkins and Darby they did so expecting to need ALL of those picks to move up to get their QB.

As it turned out it didn't cost that much to move up and some dumb teams passed on QB's for runnin' bax and interior offensive lineman.:lol:

So it wasn't as if they didn't have the ammunition to get up to #7 before that trade............it just allowed them to still trade up for and draft Edmunds.........who has been solid but really unspectacular..........in a draft that produced two legit All Pro ILB's in the 50 picks after him.

Disagree. The value of a 12 is huge in a draft with high-level talent in the top half of the first. The #22 pick doesn't help you get the Roquan Smiths of the world. Outside of Lamar Jackson, who a lot of teams didn't want, the picks after Derwin James are pretty mediocre overall. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/draft.htm. More importantly, Miami's #11 and AZ's #10 were FAR more valuable for a move up possibility than Buffalo's #22. Beane presumably knew that.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Tyrod Taylor for a 3rd.

But that is basically Glenn for a high 2nd round pick, low 1st. Tough to beat indeed.

TT for a 3rd is highway robbery--and yet how many fans here argued in support of him at the time!? 

He had a huge continent of supporters here thinking he was the man.  

😂

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

TT for a 3rd is highway robbery--and yet how many fans here argued in support of him at the time!? 

He had a huge continent of supporters here thinking he was the man.  

😂

I don't think anyone thought he was the man. They thought he was decent, which he was. Flawed and limited but with positive attributes too.

6 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Completely disagree. Allen is who he is today because of that experience and being able to fail and figure out the game by playing. 

That definitely could be true also.  I wonder if he hates hearing people talk about how bad he was his rookie year and how much he improved lol. The fact that we moved the ball at all let alone won some games with that squad was impressive

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Disagree. The value of a 12 is huge in a draft with high-level talent in the top half of the first. The #22 pick doesn't help you get the Roquan Smiths of the world. Outside of Lamar Jackson, who a lot of teams didn't want, the picks after Derwin James are pretty mediocre overall. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/draft.htm. More importantly, Miami's #11 and AZ's #10 were FAR more valuable for a move up possibility than Buffalo's #22. Beane presumably knew that.

So you are saying trading the #21 and #22 overall picks wouldn't get you up to #12?

Really?

Well obviously you're just wrong.........that would have obviously been great value for the team with #12 overall...........so I assume you are confused.

Beane also lamented a little bit that Tampa got more than he should have had to pay to move up to #7.......but the way that the Bills picks aligned......Tampa was able to get extra value.    

And btw Darius Leonard and Fred Warner are the All Pro ILB's that were selected after Edmunds so I don't know what all the other name dropping is about.

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So you are saying trading the #21 and #22 overall picks wouldn't get you up to #12?

Really?

Well obviously you're just wrong.........that would have obviously been great value for the team with #12 overall...........so I assume you are confused.

Beane also lamented a little bit that Tampa got more than he should have had to pay to move up to #7.......but the way that the Bills picks aligned......Tampa was able to get extra value.    

And btw Darius Leonard and Fred Warner are the All Pro ILB's that were selected after Edmunds so I don't know what all the other name dropping is about.

I think we're talking past each other and I think I missed your point. Yes, trading 21 and 22 to get to 12 is obviously doable. That said, keeping that #21 pick in your back pocket as a bargaining chip if the bidding gets hot and heavy for Allen while sacrificing Cordy Glenn on the altar is far better than the reverse. Anyway, why trade those 2 picks for 12 when you can unload just one of them plus a big-contract player whose time is basically up instead?

Edited by dave mcbride

22 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Christian Wade.  Everyone loves him.  Nobody knows what he's truly capable of.

That "first ever carry in the NFL untouched by human hands 65-yard TD run" made me want to see more.  But the IGP, Covid and now the injury just about killed his chances of realistically competing.  I still hold out hope for next preseason, however.  

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/can-t-miss-play-former-rugby-star-christian-wade-runs-for-65-yard-td

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

lets not forget trading the Ryan Bates trade, we sent Eli Harold for a legit starting guard.

I honestly don’t know why we didn’t play him more before. He’s been great just about anywhere he’s been lined up. The curse of the backup center. 

22 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think we're talking past each other and I think I missed your point. Yes, trading 21 and 22 to get to 12 is obviously doable. That said, keeping that #21 pick in your back pocket as a bargaining chip if the bidding gets hot and heavy for Allen while sacrificing Cordy Glenn on the altar is far better than the reverse. Anyway, why trade those 2 picks for 12 when you can unload just one of them plus a big-contract player whose time is basically up instead?

We aren't talking past each other..........you STRONGLY implied they didn't have the draft capital to trade up for Allen if they hadn't traded Glenn to Cinci.

My first point is that is absolutely and obviously NOT the case........disingenuous to suggest otherwise and the exact type of thing you would call me out on(but I don't use such egregious hyperbole;)).

What they saved by dealing Glenn..........they used(and then some) to draft Tremaine Edmunds.

I liked both the Glenn trade and the Edmunds pick............but the reality is they could have also not traded Glenn.......traded up for Allen.........and still had the opportunity to select a better MLB than Tremaine Edmunds.

28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Really?

The Bills traded Cordy and #21 to the Bengals for #12 a month-and-a-half before the draft, in an attempt to go after Josh.  They were never planning on using both 1sts to get him/to #7, much less #12 (without getting a 2nd rounder in return).  So while I agree they had the draft capital to do it, I agree with david that I'm not sure Tampa moves out of #7 for #21 and #22.  And given they demanded both 2nd rounders, when one should have sufficed, means they needed to be forced to trade down even 5 spots.

As for Edmunds, he was a college OLB who they envisioned as their Brian Urlacher.  It hasn't panned-out that way. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Tyrod Taylor for a 3rd.

But that is basically Glenn for a high 2nd round pick, low 1st. Tough to beat indeed.

Trading Taylor was a mistake, period.  That was AWFUL roster management.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills traded Cordy and #21 to the Bengals for #12 a month-and-a-half before the draft, in an attempt to go after Josh.  They were never planning on using both 1sts to get him/to #7, much less #12 (without getting a 2nd rounder in return).  So while I agree they had the draft capital to do it, I agree with david that I'm not sure Tampa moves out of #7 for #21 and #22.  And given they demanded both 2nd rounders, when one should have sufficed, means they needed to be forced to trade down even 5 spots.

As for Edmunds, he was a college OLB who they envisioned as their Brian Urlacher.  It hasn't panned-out that way. 

Still not sure why they won’t play Edmunds where he belongs.

7 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Trading Taylor was a mistake, period.  That was AWFUL roster management.

I'm assuming you're being facetious.

7 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Still not sure why they won’t play Edmunds where he belongs.

Good question.  We're going on year 4 now. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I never said they were going to try to trade directly up to #7.    At this point it was already commonplace for teams to trade up in steps.

Trading #21 and #22 would have been a whole lot more value than the Bills got trading down with KC the year prior so they were going to be able to get wherever they needed to reach #7 and do it with relative ease.    The problem would have been getting all the way to #2 or #3 overall.........which they were fortunate not to have to because some teams really drafted very shortsightedly in the top 6.

Here's an interesting twist to this...............because Eric Wood had to retire,  Incognito quit,  and Glenn was traded.........the Bills had an absolute train wreck on the offensive line in 2018.    Allen took a beating and since that OL was such a cluster*ck it really made it difficult for them to get a good read on the career outlook of a talented young guard who they stole in round 5 that year named Wyatt Teller.     

Beane subsequently traded the future All Pro guard for a late round pick the next summer.    Probably his worst individual move.

If the OL consists of Glenn as well Dawkins then perhaps they never deal Teller.   

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We aren't talking past each other..........you STRONGLY implied they didn't have the draft capital to trade up for Allen if they hadn't traded Glenn to Cinci.

My first point is that is absolutely and obviously NOT the case........disingenuous to suggest otherwise and the exact type of thing you would call me out on(but I don't use such egregious hyperbole;)).

What they saved by dealing Glenn..........they used(and then some) to draft Tremaine Edmunds.

I liked both the Glenn trade and the Edmunds pick............but the reality is they could have also not traded Glenn.......traded up for Allen.........and still had the opportunity to select a better MLB than Tremaine Edmunds.

Man, take it easy. I literally said that I misread what you were saying. Take the W with grace instead of doing the victory lap.  The Bills didn't have a top-of-the-first-half-of-the-first-round pick in a top-heavy draft and needed one to get Allen. They possibly could have traded both their firsts to get there. Instead, they unloaded Cordy Glenn. It was a great trade. Full stop, end of story. I honestly don't even know what you're arguing about. 

Edited by dave mcbride

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.