Bears and Dolphins request interview with Brian Daboll

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Dopey said:

According to Pro Football Reference, we've scored the 3rd most points of ANY team in the league!! 3rd guys, 3rd!

What the hell are any of you complaining about?!? What more do you want?!?

While I'm at it, we're #1 in points against and won back to back AFCE CHAMPS!

IMO,  any complainer(you know who you are) is a dumb@$$!; Again, JMO.

Phew, that felt good!

We should be much better. We have the talent but we underperform. Accepting less is for losers. 

5 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

This - if we lose Daboll it should and likely will be Dorsey. Question is whether he chooses to leave with either Frasier or Daboll if hired as OC with them. My hopes would be the Bills promote him and block a horizontal move, but think they’d ultimately let him choose. If this happens I like Nagy coming in as QB coach for when Dorsey leaves, unless he gets hired as OC/HC elsewhere.

More interesting question is who steps into DC if Frasier goes.

I personally believe it would be John Butler, DB coach 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not really. 30 minutes of game time. One season as a backup QB. I feel like this is going to be another constantly repeated yet over valued “connection” like last year’s “he went to HS with Tom Telesco and therefore is a shoe in for the chargers job”. One, he may have preferred Tua over Hurts for his offense years ago when they were college QBs but that doesn’t mean he’s an NFL “Tua guy”. He may have simply felt limited with Hurts in the passing game as he struggled to throw downfield. Also, the dolphins owner didn’t commit to Tua as their QB going forward so I don’t think it will be as big of a factor as some are making it out to be. 

So Jordan Palmer hasn't coach Josh at all because it hasn't been during games? This is nonsense.  Guys get coached outside of gametime.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think John Butler would be the DC and they'd make DL coach Eric Washington the Asst HC.

I'm skeptical that Frazier will actually get another HC job though. I think he is really only a candidate in Chicago with Polian and Dungy having a strong presence in their search and if he doesn't get that job then I doubt he goes anywhere.

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I wonder if there are any coordinators out there that just say, “no thanks— I love being a coordinator and am great at it, and don’t want to give that up.” It’s sort of what McDaniels has done recently. 

The only one I remember saying that publicly was Tom Moore, the Colts' OC during the Manning years. Since Peyton called most of the plays anyway, Moore may have had the easiest gig in the NFL.

It's possible that Dick LeBeau said it (or at least felt it) after his failed HC stint.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not really. 30 minutes of game time. One season as a backup QB. I feel like this is going to be another constantly repeated yet over valued “connection” like last year’s “he went to HS with Tom Telesco and therefore is a shoe in for the chargers job”. One, he may have preferred Tua over Hurts for his offense years ago when they were college QBs but that doesn’t mean he’s an NFL “Tua guy”. He may have simply felt limited with Hurts in the passing game as he struggled to throw downfield. Also, the dolphins owner didn’t commit to Tua as their QB going forward so I don’t think it will be as big of a factor as some are making it out to be. 

He was a shoe-in for the Chargers job. He turned it down because of questions about ownership and having to share the stadium with the Rams. 

*Buffalo is a small place😉

Good news.  Since Daboll doesn't run the ball, and we can't stop any good teams from running it, this will be perfect.   He can let noodle armed Tua throw it 47 times a game and it'll play right in to our hands and our strengths.

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i get that. But I would be interested to hear what is appealing about the HC to some of these coordinators (not just Daboll). Seems like it would be more fun to be an OC on an elite offensive team than basically the CEO of a team in turmoil.

Money, for starters.

23 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

My guess is that neither he nor Frazier get (gets?) HC jobs, just like last year.

I think Frazier has a legit shot at the Bears job based on his connection to Polian/Dungy and the staff that he could bring in to work with Fields. Plus, he has HC experience and NFC North experience.  Don't really see him as a fit anywhere else.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

He was a shoe-in for the Chargers job. He turned it down because of questions about ownership and having to share the stadium with the Rams. 

*Buffalo is a small place😉

That sounds like a story that HE would want out there 

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

So Jordan Palmer hasn't coach Josh at all because it hasn't been during games? This is nonsense.  Guys get coached outside of gametime.

I didn’t say he didn’t coach him “at all”. He coached him for one year and for one half of one actual college game. I just don’t see it as some ultra connection to Miami. 

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

What's confusing to me is that the Bears are showing interviewing an OC and a DC.  At the very least, wouldn't the owner know what he wants, as far as offense-minded vs. defense-minded?

The owner is 100 year old Virginia mccasky. I think Polian is running this. 

3 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Bill Parcells was rating the coaching jobs this morning (openings) and thought Chicago and Jacksonville were the two best.

I think Daboll would do well in Jacksonville in time, when they can get some receivers in. When I watch Jacksonville I see a good quarterback being put in an impossible situation.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea, fair point. There is a lot of that in what LaFleur runs. Rodgers moaned about it a fair bit the first year too.

I think the principles are what Rodgers has been running his whole career? McCarthy copied Holmgren's system according to Chris Simms and Holmgren goes directly back to Walsh. I think Lafleur does it better, more variance, more complexity, modernized and we see the improved results.

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

A Qb coach and a personal qb coach imo are not the same thing.  Palmer works with flaws in Allen’s mechanics and throwing motions.  

13 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

McCarthy copied Holmgren's system according to Chris Simms and Holmgren goes directly back to Walsh. I think Lafleur does it better, more variance, more complexity, modernized and we see the improved results.

McCarthy's offense is a more traditional Walsh WCO. That isn't what LaFleur runs. He runs the stretch zone WCO that derives from the Shanahan tree. There are similarities obviously but but isn't the same.

I think of Walsh as the grandfather. Two sons Shanahan and Holmgern who each tweaked the grandfather's scheme and used differently.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

My guess is that neither he nor Frazier get (gets?) HC jobs, just like last year.

If that happens that's pretty much a direct indictment that both Frazier and Daboll aren't very good then. Especially when guys like Brandon Staley and Robert Saleh were apparently such hot commodities and got gigs last year.

Personally I do think Frazier deserves it and is on his way to a new job soon because of his body of work as a retread HC and what he has done in Buffalo on a defense that really doesn't have a true superstar player.

Daboll on the other hand more dicey for all the reasons discussed on this forum daily, but if some believe he's the main reason for Allen's development and success that's all that matters.

If McDermott hires from in-house Butler and or course Dorsey seem to be the guys.

That being said Sean McDermott is meticulous and detail oriented in everything he does.

I'm sure he has "notes" on who might be available for the OC/DC positions.

With all the HC openings there will be a churning at these positions too.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

If McDermott hires from in-house Butler and or course Dorsey seem to be the guys.

That being said Sean McDermott is meticulous and detail oriented in everything he does.

I'm sure he has "notes" on who might be available for the OC/DC positions.

With all the HC openings there will be a churning at these positions too.

If this team wins a SB this year I could see McDermott opting for continuity and 'in house' candidates to replace Frazier and/or Daboll.

But considering the glut of proven big names out there (and that this team probably isn't winning a SB) it would be somewhat foolish to not pounce on someone from outside the organization who can add a fresh perspective and help get this team to the next level.

A little off topic but I just looked to see what the Chicago Bears situation is.

It's not very inviting.

Draft Picks for 2022:  2, 3, 5, 5, 6.

Players under contract for 2022:  27 (Including Foles)

Current Cap Space:  $43M (With 27 signed that's 24 more to get to 51)

Kalil Mack with a #30M cap hit (possibly looking to be traded)

Darnell Mooney is the only WR currently on the team.

With not many picks or money and Fields as your QB it might be wise to just bulldoze the whole thing next season.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

A little off topic but I just looked to see what the Chicago Bears situation is.

It's not very inviting.

With not many picks or money and Fields as your QB it might be wise to just bulldoze the whole thing next season.

As the saying goes, there's only 32 of these jobs in existence and regardless of the situation they'll be no shortage of suitors.

But just like with mos first year HC jobs, pretty sure whoever land the Bears job gets the proverbial free pass in year one for the reasons listed here. Because can't imagine ownership believes this is a team and roster ready to win right away in 2022.

This is why the Bears is probably the best fit for someone like Frazier that can lean on his defensive expertise and leadership to be competitive in 2022 while the roster is overhauled for a larger rebuild with an eye on the playoffs in 2023 and beyond.

4 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I don't think I would go to the Dolphins in his position considering how they ditched Flores and he looked like he was helping that team improve

No team gives up picks but the team he came from would gain two picks.

You mean the picks are fabricated?  Like a comp pick?

That sounds like a story that HE would want out there 

I didn’t say he didn’t coach him “at all”. He coached him for one year and for one half of one actual college game. I just don’t see it as some ultra connection to Miami. 

Tua was successful in college coming up in Dabols system, with Dabol coaching him.  Dabol would bring that same offensive system that he flourished in to Miami.  

I'm not making a case that Dabol is going to be the Miami coach but the connection there is blatantly obvious.

7 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Tua was successful in college coming up in Dabols system, with Dabol coaching him.  Dabol would bring that same offensive system that he flourished in to Miami.  

I'm not making a case that Dabol is going to be the Miami coach but the connection there is blatantly obvious.

Tua was a freshman during Daboll's one year in Tuscaloosa and Jalen Hurts was the starter.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's not very inviting.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

As the saying goes, there's only 32 of these jobs in existence and regardless of the situation they'll be no shortage of suitors.

But just like with mos first year HC jobs, pretty sure whoever land the Bears job gets the proverbial free pass in year one for the reasons listed here. Because can't imagine ownership believes this is a team and roster ready to win right away in 2022.

This is why the Bears is probably the best fit for someone like Frazier that can lean on his defensive expertise and leadership to be competitive in 2022 while the roster is overhauled for a larger rebuild with an eye on the playoffs in 2023 and beyond.

It is a total garbage situation. I didn't realize it was such a mess in Chicago. There is a part of me, from a business perspective, that would have left Nagy in place one more year, cleared the cap situation, and provided a better situation that would attract more quality candidates. 

To the bolded, I think this is the exact opposite. The situation is built for failure at the moment. A guy like Frazier, who is in a good situation, and interviews for HC positions a lot, I would take a hard pass if offered the job. This position is best suited for somebody who is looking to get their first (and maybe only) shot at running a franchise 

19 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm hoping that Watson doesn't end up in Miami. Send him to the NFC, Texans! 

I don't think Watson is landing anywhere. And honestly, if I were a HC candidate, if my org is relying on Watson becoming available or playing for me as a solution, I am probably thinking it is not a match. That goes both ways, if I am a franchise and a candidate told me that was their plan, I would not offer them the job. The big plan is to give up assets for a guy that might not be able to play? Not to mention the general principle of it all. 

Hard pass. 

48 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Tua was a freshman during Daboll's one year in Tuscaloosa and Jalen Hurts was the starter.

Yes, we all know. And Alabama continued to run the Erhardt Perkins system. That's the system Tua was successful in and what Daboll runs.  That's the system Tua flourished in.  That's the attraction there.

I have Bears fans all around me, and so far they see Daboll as a promising option.

The Bears job looks like a flaming turd on paper. They really have to trade Mack if they want to rebuild, though I don't know if he'd be worth a 1st rounder with that contract, unless they want the Rams next available 1st in 2030...  But if they could shed that contract & end up with a 1st, the situation becomes a lot better. Depending on what he thinks of Fields, Daboll could bite.

12 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

You could say the same thing when McDermott was considering the Bills head coaching job.

We got brand new rich owners willing to do anything to win, BIG DIFFERENCE between us and Chicago. If Ralph still owned the team i would agree but as long as McCaskey owns it they arent going anywhere. Maybe one of the younger kids can do a better job but that remains to be seen.

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

from what was reported Staley was one of those rare he walks out of the room and the entire panel looks at one another and says "that's our guy" moments. Mike Tomlin was famously that in Pittsburgh

Sadly the same was true of Rex Ryan when he interviewed here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.