Excellent article from long time fan of Josh Allen

Cantankeous

5 minutes ago, Cantankeous said:

BuffaloFambase.com 

writer from ‘Laradise’ Wyoming 

http://buffalofambase.com/2021/12/28/wyos-mental-breakdown-allens-maturation-big-reason-bills-victory/

Our boy is growing into a man!

Just for 💩's and 😂 I clicked on YouTube to watch some of his Wyoming highlights yesterday.

Now I know these clips are always generated with positive plays only but I gotta tell you. After watching this clip (Just Bombs) I had to ask myself why wasn't this kid higher on other teams radar? All the physical traits we are enjoying now we're more than evident during his college career.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Just for 💩's and 😂 I clicked on YouTube to watch some of his Wyoming highlights yesterday.

Now I know these clips are always generated with positive plays only but I gotta tell you. After watching this clip (Just Bombs) I had to ask myself why wasn't this kid higher on other teams radar? All the physical traits we are enjoying now we're more than evident during his college career.

I dunno 🤷‍♂️ 

Just thanking the football gods he was!

7 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Because everyone wants as close to a guaranteed bet as possible. 

21 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I watched three games , which isn't a lot but thats all i could get to , and he had one great game, one solid game and then one bad game and so i wasnt sold on him because he was inconsistent, even in the good games. So i thought hes ok in Podunk college ball but the chances of him excelling in the NFL were slim. Then i saw him play in an all star game and he was totally clutch when he needed to be and with his insane physical talent i thought maybe he could , but i still didn't want him. At that time i was all about Baker Mayfield, thankfully McBeane made the right choice.

I am curious if he was ranked number one on the Bills board or were Mayfield and Darnold ranked higher?

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I watched three games , which isn't a lot but thats all i could get to , and he had one great game, one solid game and then one bad game and so i wasnt sold on him because he was inconsistent, even in the good games. So i thought hes ok in Podunk college ball but the chances of him excelling in the NFL were slim. Then i saw him play in an all star game and he was totally clutch when he needed to be and with his insane physical talent i thought maybe he could , but i still didn't want him. At that time i was all about Baker Mayfield, thankfully McBeane made the right choice.

I am curious if he was ranked number one on the Bills board or were Mayfield and Darnold ranked higher?

Million dollar question I doubt we’ll ever know. Terry & Kim went to Wyoming with Brandon & Co. before the Draft, so he was certainly high on their board.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Like Trevor Lawrence 😂 Yeah, I know, the Jags are awful, and Meyer was a joke. I’m just making the point that I’m not certain sure things exist, but NFL teams keep fooling themselves into believing so. Allen had all the physical tools, but I didn’t believe either. It’s hard to overcome the small school bias. There’s no telling how good someone is when they don’t face high end competition. It is unfair to guys like Allen though. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Agree 1

It seemed from the “experts” that the Bills targeted Josh.  Kind of crazy how fortunate we have been. Just read about a DB on the Browns, who was out injured, tweeting during the game “Run the damn ball” after Baker’s 2nd int

https://dailysnark.com/2021/12/25/browns-john-johnson-tweets-run-the-damn-ball-after-baker-mayfield-interception-vs-packers/

never would happen with Josh and his teammates because a) he can throw the ball; and more importantly b) they respect Josh

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Because you can’t coach accuracy….supposedly 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Wait.  That's WYO!  Like the actual Wyo.  Robyn.

WYO was a frequent poster (and mod) on the BBMB - and she was very good at both, BTW. Maybe a year or two before they shut it down, she stopped going there, due to the increased incivility that was pervading the boards. I can't blame her. Glad to see she's still writing about the Bills, though.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Either that or they're too impatient to take on a "project." I think Beane and McD planned for a somewhat long development period before he'd be a solid starter, based on their whole "long-term sustainability" philosophy.

I'm guessing most people, including people who believed in him, were surprised at how quickly he progressed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

One thing that some may know and some may not is when Seattle was negotiating a contract extension with Russell Wilson…

They called Cleveland to see if they would be interested in trading the number 1 pick in the 2018 draft for Russell but Cleveland had their mind made up and decided to keep the pick so they turned them down…

John Schneider and Pete Carroll had come to the consensus that they had their eye on a guy who could replace a guy who had already gone to to two Super Bowls that guy was Josh Allen 

So Josh was known by a few but luckily enough he was looked at negatively enough for the Bills to swoop in and nab him and the rest is history.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Cantankeous said:

Million dollar question I doubt we’ll ever know. Terry & Kim went to Wyoming with Brandon & Co. before the Draft, so he was certainly high on their board.

There was a leak of the Bills QB draft rankings on reddit right before the draft. Guy posted a picture of his OneBillsDrive credentials and there was even a trade scenario with Denver on the board, which turned out to be a real deal they had in the works.

I can try to find the post but the ratings I believe were:

Josh

Darnold

Mayfield

Rosen/Rudolph in second round and Lamar wasnt on their board at all.

Just now, PolishPrince said:

There was a leak of the Bills QB draft rankings on reddit right before the draft. Guy posted a picture of his OneBillsDrive credentials and there was even a trade scenario with Denver on the board, which turned out to be a real deal they had in the works.

Josh

Darnold

Mayfield

I prob should have found it first before posting, but this is about it:

• Thank you (+1) 2

Yeah, Josh was in a calmer place. That place was called not having to dodge a pass rush in the first second of his drop back. Nothing psychological. It was he had time. We saw last year that when he had time he’d absolutely murder a defense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Like Trevor Lawrence 😂 Yeah, I know, the Jags are awful, and Meyer was a joke. I’m just making the point that I’m not certain sure things exist, but NFL teams keep fooling themselves into believing so. Allen had all the physical tools, but I didn’t believe either. It’s hard to overcome the small school bias. There’s no telling how good someone is when they don’t face high end competition. It is unfair to guys like Allen though. 

I think the team you go to makes a big diff too.

What if Allen went to the jets, would he progressed as well there as he did here?

Josh's first two years here weren't the greatest , would that coaching staff been able to do what ours did along with what McDermott brought in with culture and process ?

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

You mean like Tua and Mac Jones?😏

I dont think the book is done on them yet especially Jones who is a rookie and has had a solid year.

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

One thing that some may know and some may not is when Seattle was negotiating a contract extension with Russell Wilson…

They called Cleveland to see if they would be interested in trading the number 1 pick in the 2018 draft for Russell but Cleveland had their mind made up and decided to keep the pick so they turned them down…

John Schneider and Pete Carroll had come to the consensus that they had their eye on a guy who could replace a guy who had already gone to to two Super Bowls that guy was Josh Allen 

So Josh was known by a few but luckily enough he was looked at negatively enough for the Bills to swoop in and nab him and the rest is history.  

Thank God Cleveland didn't make that deal !!

45 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

Josh

Darnold

Mayfield

they definitely had their QBs rankings right on, i just dont see Lamar as a long term solution at QB in the NFL.

36 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yeah, Josh was in a calmer place. That place was called not having to dodge a pass rush in the first second of his drop back. Nothing psychological. It was he had time. We saw last year that when he had time he’d absolutely murder a defense.

The revamped Oline came up big in this game and deserves more playing time considering how well they played.

1 hour ago, PolishPrince said:

Josh

Darnold

Mayfield

Yeah, I remember that back in 2018, but a lot of people were very skeptical it was legit

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

There were only 5 teams that drafted before the Bills at 7, so it's hard to say he wasn't on other teams radar.

Cleveland got sold on analytics & Mayfield's competitive spirit & drafted him #1 and wasn't drafting another QB at 4 and their asking price to trade uip to 4 was too much for any team to trade with them.

The Giants weren't sold on any QBs, they thought by adding a player they thought was the best player in the draft, Barkley, they could win with Manning.  Their coach at the time, Pat Shurmur, was quoted in the media before the Bills played the Giants:  

Kim Jones

@KimJonesSports

Pat Shurmur said before 2018 draft, #NYG thought QB Josh Allen “had a chance to be a starter” in the NFL. Seems like a pretty low bar.... so I followed up. Shurmur repeated the line. BUFvsNYG on Sunday.

The Jets:  It's not known who their top QB was, rumors had Mayfield as their top guy, but after Mayfield went #1, the Jets felt they couldn't take Josh over Sam Darnold, who was a media darling who had played college ball in LA & with a major program.  

Denver decided they weren't drafting a QB when they signed Case Keenum to a big contract and like the Giants thought they had a win now team with the addition of Bradley Chubb, who many scouts had as the best defensive player in the draft.  The Broncos loved Chubb, but if he wasn't available would have traded the pick to the Bills for both our 1st rounders & a 2nd (see board in post above)

Indianapolis wanted 1 player, Quenton Nelson to protect Andrew Luck & had no idea Luck would be retiring a year later.    

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Actually, NE* blitzed early and often. Josh read it very well and audibled to quick throws. The OL didn’t play better. It can’t -and it got worse. Josh played better.

26 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

The OL didn’t play better. It can’t -and it got worse. Josh played better.

I think some of the all-22 analysis that comes out over the next couple days will show that you are correct. I've been watching a lot of plays back and there was more quick pressure in Allen's face than I thought on the initial viewing. He just made so many incredible reads and throws it hid the o-line's mistakes. Darryl Williams in particular appeared to have a very bad day. He totally whiffed on several blocks and on his TD-erasing penalty I think he missed the "alert" audible to a pass... you can't make simple mental mistakes like that.

• Like (+1) 3

16 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Jets, Giants and Broncos fans are all wondering the same thing…

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think some of the all-22 analysis that comes out over the next couple days will show that you are correct. I've been watching a lot of plays back and there was more quick pressure in Allen's face than I thought on the initial viewing. He just made so many incredible reads and throws it hid the o-line's mistakes. Darryl Williams in particular appeared to have a very bad day. He totally whiffed on several blocks and on his TD-erasing penalty I think he missed the "alert" audible to a pass... you can't make simple mental mistakes like that.

From a Pats fan friend of mine who pasted this quote (don't know where it's from):

"Might not be a popular take right now but pressuring Josh Allen yesterday wasn't the issue for the #Patriots defense. Pats had a pressure rate of 40.8%. KVN had seven QB pressures, Barmore six. Allen was just elite under pressure. Always found an outlet."

As for the Williams penalty, he did the exact same thing on the TD pass to Gabe Davis in the first Pats/Bills game but wasn't called for it. He should have been, though. Watch #75 here: 

Edited by dave mcbride

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.