Leslie Frazier's interview Monday 12/13

Hapless Bills Fan

Frazier is very patient and mild and soft spoken.

Says that we succeeded in stopping the Bucs in the second half as a result of adjustments made

Can we, maybe, make those adjustments and stop a good team before they've gone up 24 points on us?

Could we put them in the gameplan before kickoff?

I'm just a little frustrated - if we have the capability to stop a top offense by "making adjustments", why does it take so long?

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/leslie-fraizer-they-executed-better-in-that-situation

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Says that we succeeded in stopping the Bucs in the second half as a result of adjustments made

Can we, maybe, make those adjustments and stop a good team before they've gone up 24 points on us?

I'm just a little frustrated - if we have the capability to stop a top offense by "making adjustments", why does it take so long?

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/leslie-fraizer-they-executed-better-in-that-situation

If he implemented it before the game, then he would not be able to get credit for making adjustments after half.  There would be no adversity, not quite as cool.  /sarcasm

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was a Leslie Frazier fan until i heard his pitiful reasons for not putting in another D Lineman versus the C

pats and not too until Q4 for Milano to be instructed to jump the gaps which he did successfully at the end of the game.  He said, effectively, we didnt prepare for another lineman or men in the box and he has a real inability to make adjustments.

What is truly contrasting is the evil overlord Belicheck constantly makes adjustments, often quarter to quarter if not series by series.  Meanwhile, we can only follow the plan until it is too late and we FINALLY realize it and make adjustments. 

We are built to defend the pass and that is where the coaching and continuity, especially Hype and Poyer ply really shines.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They're not always going to have the right gameplan. Aren't halftime adjustments normal for all teams?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

What is truly contrasting is the evil overlord Belicheck constantly makes adjustments, often quarter to quarter if nit series by series. 

Not only that, but he makes them with a little miniature golf scorecard pencil on what appears to be a blank mailing envelope!  I love that...it's how I do things myself.  Not a lot of tech going on in my life.

Funny how a pencil and an envelope can take down the best teams in football.

It's all about what you are writing down on the envelope.

(Not the right pencil or paper from my comments, but how many times have you seen BB doing this on the sideline during the game?)

dfvpv065lba01.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

It's an age old tale. How many times have we seen an NFL team take a big lead in a game, and then the other team come back? There's countless games you can think of where this happened. I don't know why it has to get done at halftime, but it's not uncommon 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Hopefully his next interview is for another job that he gets

I don't really understand this line of thinking. The Bills are one of the better coached defenses in the NFL. They were the 2nd ranked scoring defense in 2019 and are the 2nd ranked scoring defense this year. 2020 was admittedly a bad year for the Bills defense. Other than that, what's the gripe?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

They're not always going to have the right gameplan. Aren't halftime adjustments normal for all teams?

In today's day and age with all the Tablets and instant access to data...if you wait until halftime to make adjustments you are already 2 quarters behind. 

There are teams that make adjustments on the fly and make tweaks all game long.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't really understand this line of thinking. The Bills are one of the better coached defenses in the NFL. They were the 2nd ranked scoring defense in 2019 and are the 2nd ranked scoring defense this year. 2020 was admittedly a bad year for the Bills defense. Other than that, what's the gripe?

Last years defense was not good. This year I feel is incredibly hollow and the stats are really skewed by playing some terrible QBs. I think we have maybe the best secondary in the league and they cover up so much of our issues. I think we are way to passive and soft on defense and my guess is that McDermott calling the plays dials up considerably more pressure. I think we have the personnel to be a dominant defense and we just aren’t that right now. Also almost any physical offense pushes us around and has us on skates. I’m not saying Fraiser is terrible but I feel like he’s a little too finesse. I’d prefer a little more aggression and tone setting and I honestly think it would change with McDermott. Plus, that’s his calling card. If you are the Coach and Defense is your thing…get your hands on it and make it your own.

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Steptide said:

It's an age old tale. How many times have we seen an NFL team take a big lead in a game, and then the other team come back? There's countless games you can think of where this happened. I don't know why it has to get done at halftime, but it's not uncommon 

Some of it was just bad luck/freak plays too.  Brady made two absolutely impossible plays in the first half that both led to tds…I remember one was on 3rd down but I’m not sure about the other.  He’s not making that back foot lobbed rainbow throw with guys in his face to a receiver perfectly in stride twice in the same game haha  Hold them to 6 there instead of 14 and it completely changes the complexion of a game and we’re back in the ‘yea they have plenty of yards but are they scoring tds’ realm. 

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Last years defense was not good. This year I feel is incredibly hollow and the stats are really skewed by playing some terrible QBs. I think we have maybe the best secondary in the league and they cover up so much of our issues. I think we are way to passive and soft on defense and my guess is that McDermott calling the plays dials up considerably more pressure. I think we have the personnel to be a dominant defense and we just aren’t that right now. Also almost any physical offense pushes us around and has us on skates. I’m not saying Fraiser is terrible but I feel like he’s a little too finesse. I’d prefer a little more aggression and tone setting and I honestly think it would change with McDermott. Plus, that’s his calling card. If you are the Coach and Defense is your thing…get your hands on it and make it your own.

Idk they came up big enough to dominate that second half against the best offense in the league…it’s not like the bucs were trying to run out the clock on offense in the second half. we really did more than enough to win that game in regulation my opinion and it’s pretty criminal we took the loss.  I do think part of it has to do with the dline rotation.  Offensive players are gassing out and we’ve got relatively fresh guys coming in all game so the bills start to take some of the momentum back late. 

12 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

You think McDermott is gonna call more blitzes? Go watch his Carolina teams. That is not what they did. 

The Bills defense is good. The only people who want to change it are people who simply prefer defense played a certain style that McDermott and Frazier don't believe in.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, we’ve seen teams absolutely shut down the Bucs offense all year. And Tom Brady is basically 50-50 shut down at kickoff. very reasonable expectation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I know McDermott isn't going to get fired even if this team loses out and looks bad in every game left, but at the very least you have to wonder if he understands he's going to be a true crossroads in his NFL HC career and knows that pretty much his entire coaching staff has to be overhauled heading into 2022.

And while I'm not as down on Frazier as I am Daboll, just not sure how this organization can move forward with the same defensive scheme that has failed miserably against physical teams and good QB's over and over again since 2017 despite having some good 'statisitcal' seasons. You just can't win this league try match up speed and smallish players at the point of attack against physical teams and RB's and not sure there is a defense in the history of the league that has been similarly built and won a SB.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I know McDermott isn't going to get fired even if this team loses out and looks bad in every game left, but at the very least you have to wonder if he understands he's going to be a true crossroads in his NFL HC career and knows that pretty much his entire coaching staff has to be overhauled heading into 2022.

And while I'm not as down on Frazier as I am Daboll, just not sure how this organization can move forward with the same defensive scheme that has failed miserably against physical teams and good QB's over and over again since 2017 despite having some good 'statisitcal' seasons. You just can't win this league try match up speed and smallish players at the point of attack against physical teams and RB's and not sure there is a defense in the history of the league that has been similarly built and won a SB.

2010 Saints were similar in size across the front 7, though their ends were probably 10-15 lbs heavier. The difference being their offense let them play with a lead.

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You think McDermott is gonna call more blitzes? Go watch his Carolina teams. That is not what they did. 

The Bills defense is good. The only people who want to change it are people who simply prefer defense played a certain style that McDermott and Frazier don't believe in.

Yeah he is more conservative than his mentor Johnson was in that regard. There isn’t anything wrong with that philosophy. In fact you are probably further ahead  if you can bring pressure when you want/need to with a four man front. Unfortunately we can’t reliably do that (yet).

4 minutes ago, transient said:

2010 Saints were similar in size across the front 7, though their ends were probably 10-15 lbs heavier. The difference being their offense let them play with a lead.

I did consider that team and the original 'Tampa 2' Bucs from 2002, but yes those teams at least had some beasts sprinkled in with the smallish types like Warren Sapp on that SB Bucs team.

I guess the overall point is rarely have those type of defenses been truly dominant especially without a powerhouse offense leading the way.

Edited by FilthyBeast

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I want a new DC & OC. Or just let Dermott do all the defense like Belichick. 

See what I really want to know is what McDermott's influence was on our defensive turnaround.  Everyone saw McDermott talking to Frazier on the sideline as we were getting gashed.  Even Romo and Nantz noticed it and were talking about it.

So what were the adjustments we made?  Did McDermott tell Frazier to make all these adjustments?  This is what I'd like to know.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

This is true, but it seems as though we tend to wait until we're in the hole halfway (TB) or 3/4 the way through the game (Colts) - or not at all (Titans)

And it begs the question sometimes, WHY don't we not have the right gameplan.  On a day with weather where they weren't going to want to throw, did we just not anticipate the variety of runs and the extra lineman in blocking that we got from the Pats?  Did we just not know that Tampa Bay would throw screens? 

If we prepared, we should have the right gameplan, or at least a portion of the game plan that we can pull up.

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Except of course, when it Isn't.  And then we get Steamrolled, as against the Titans and the Colts and the Patriots and the Buccaneers and....

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

In 2019 this team was 10-6 and got lit up by every good team/QB they played including the Texans in the playoffs.

This year is pretty much following a similar pattern and yet despite all the glowing statistics this team is now fighting to even make the playoffs this year.

Yes this team has done a lot worse in the past, but 5 seasons is a large enough body of work to understand that this scheme just isn't good enough whether it's insisting on rotating 10+ linemen, not blitzing enough, vanilla coverage, etc this defense has proven they aren't good enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except of course, when it Isn't.  And then we get Steamrolled, as against the Titans and the Colts and the Patriots and the Buccaneers and....

To be fair, all good defenses -- save for the historic defenses like the 2000 Ravens -- sometimes have games where they give up a lot of points.

The number 1 scoring defense in the NFL right now is the Patriots, at 15.4 ppg allowed. They have had games this year where they allowed 24, 28, and 35 points.

I also can't help but wonder how many of the points given up in the Bills' worst defensive outings this year could have been avoided if the offense hadn't been so toothless in those games. Not the Titans game, but certainly the Colts and the first half of the Buccaneers game saw multiple 3-and-outs by the Bills offense, which gave the ball right back to the opposing offense way too quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

There’s nothing inherently wrong with McD’s D imo. Its just that it would be a lot better if the down linemen were better. In Carolina his Ds were good against the run. Here not so much. They don’t  reliably execute their one gap assignments and penetrate the backfield to disrupt the offence. It’s probably one reason for the emphasis on Dline in last years draft. 

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

In 2019 this team was 10-6 and got lit up by every good team/QB they played including the Texans in the playoffs.

This year is pretty much following a similar pattern and yet despite all the glowing statistics this team is now fighting to even make the playoffs this year.

Yes this team has done a lot worse in the past, but 5 seasons is a large enough body of work to understand that this scheme just isn't good enough whether it's insisting on rotating 10+ linemen, not blitzing enough, vanilla coverage, etc this defense has proven they aren't good enough.

I'm not sure how you can look at the Bills' 2019 record or their 2021 record and conclude that the DEFENSE was the primary problem.

The 2019 Bills were the 23rd ranked offense in points per game.

The 2021 Bills have THREE losses where the offense's red zone failings led to a loss -- the 4th down slip in the Titans game, the two empty red zone trips against New England, and the failure to convert 3rd and 2 in regulation against the Bucs (not to mention the three and out by the offense to start overtime).

Give me just a touch better red zone production in those three losses and the Bills are 10-3. Frazier's not perfect, but his defense damned sure isn't the primary reason the Bills have six losses.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's almost like Frazier's D is designed to look good statistically, but comes up small in big games

don't worry, as long as we draft 5-6 tweener DL in next year's draft, we'll be fine

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Not only that, but he makes them with a little miniature golf scorecard pencil on what appears to be a blank mailing envelope!  I love that...it's how I do things myself.  Not a lot of tech going on in my life.

Funny how a pencil and an envelope can take down the best teams in football.

It's all about what you are writing down on the envelope.

(Not the right pencil or paper from my comments, but how many times have you seen BB doing this on the sideline during the game?)

dfvpv065lba01.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

That’s his grocery list…..

mmmmmm….. we’re on to Brussel sprouts 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

How can you say the defense is good?  Look at the teams and the QBs they have played.  If you said we don't know if the defense is any good or not I would buy that.  Because they do make stops from time to time.  They forced only two turnovers against Pittsburgh, Tenn, Pats, Jax, and Tampa.  Special teams got a turnover and there was a turnover on downs against Tampa.  Otherwise most of the stat padding has been against garbage teams and even worse QBs.

Just now, Saint Doug said:

Why is our team always the one that has to make 2nd-half adjustments in order to score or stop an offense? Really, I’m sensing a trend. 

I don't think we are the only team that has to do it; I think both teams make adjustments in every game.

They should, unless everything is going so well they feel there is no need to make an adjustment, but that seems unlikely.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Obviously, Frazier wished he had made those adjustments earlier.

But you gameplan for what you think the offense is going to do.  Then as the first half unfolds, you start to see what the offense is actually out to do and you adjust to that.

It's hardly unusual to make halftime adjustments.  Good coaches and coordinators do it all the time.  

Maybe Arians should be fired.  Obviously, his halftime adjustments failed.  

I remember other QBs frantically on the sidelines talking to coordinators between series. Flutie used to talk about how they were setting up player #XX for the next series. Flutie used to explain how series connected. I liked that. 

Maybe we don’t see it or it doesn’t happen?? 

Josh sitting helmet off sunbathing on the bench? So couldn’t the offense and defense be chatting between series? 

‘course Brady does it real-time…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.