Bills are now 0-5 in 1 score games thus year (Brutal)

Estro

What a strange year.

All 7 wins have bee by 15 points or more

1 blowout loss to Colts

5 games decided by 1 score or less and we've lost all 5 games (Steelers, Titans, Jaguars, Colts, Patriots & Bucs).

I think McDermotts failure to go for it on 4th down when the #s clearly say you should is the biggest reason for our 0-5 mark in close games. I've noticed McDermotts 4th down aggression is most conservative in close games or when we our losing (which was his explanation again for kicking fgs).  McDermott is the blackjack player who stays on 16s vs a dealer 10 because he's afraid to bust. He's a fool, and the media barely brings it up in post-game. Amazing

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think this points out that the Bills need almost everything to go their way in a game to come out on top.

This year it's been opposite of last and that's what we are seeing.... We just aren't good enough to win consistently unless everything falls our way. 

• Like (+1) 2

I keep thinking of the plays - the blocked punt against Pitt, the INT against the Jags, the 4th & 1 against TN, last week....it's been absolutely brutal.

But, there is no question that you HAVE to win most of those kinds of games if you hope to be a contender at the end. Every team, even the best, have multiple close games during a season.

• Like (+1) 1

It's coaching.  This same discussion is taking place in many different threads now.

In a close game, coaching can be the difference between winning and losing.

Our in-game decision making is not good and it's a problem that isn't going away any time soon.

All we can do is outscore our opponents by so much it doesn't matter.

10 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

I actually was talking earlier today about this to my family (0-4 in one score games at that time). Is it bad luck or something the Bills are doing wrong? Not sure I agree with OP that this is all on McDermott. But I could be talked into it...

Luck imo.  Win percentage in 1 score games are as volatile year over year as turnover differential.  Last year Buffalo was near tops in the league and now they are the opposite.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Estro said:

What a strange year.

1 blowout loss to Colts

5 games decided by 1 score or less and we've lost all 5 games (Steelers, Titans, Jaguars, Colts, Patriots & Bucs).

I think McDermotts failure to go for it on 4th down when the #s clearly say you should is the biggest reason for our 0-5 mark in close games. 

They did go for it against the Titans and they still lost so I don't think this line of thinking is correct.

Why can't they get it in the end zone in 3 downs?

The biggest observation should be that stats like these do not carry over year to year. They are kind of like turnovers. So next year or even this year we should expect to start winning some of these close games. As I've been saying, hammer the Bills over/under win total for next year when Vegas releases it this off-season.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

It's coaching.  This same discussion is taking place in many different threads now.

Our in-game decision making is not good and it's a problem that isn't going away any time soon.

All we can do is outscore our opponents by so much it doesn't matter.

According to some it comes down to officiating though.

All the good fortune we had last season is reversed in this seasons close games.  

I was thinking tonight when we punted to Tampa in OT.  Time for the D to get a takeaway, then kick the FG and get outta there with a W.   Of course it never happened.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

How were they 5-1 in one-score games last year? Did they get dumber?

I will say it's luck until someone proves otherwise.

Josh needs to learn, and develop confidence, to come up big at the end of games.  He failed against Titans, Jags, Pats and today. If he could have finished drives in those games, they would be 11-2.  Hopefully he will develop the clutch gene. 

• Agree 1

This loss was entirely on McDermott…just absolutely unforgivable decisions throughout the game.  Kicking the FG early; punting on 4th and 3, kicking the 25-yd FG on 4th and 2 at the end, instead of trying to win it with a TD, and that despicable series of offensive plays in OT…Loser.

31 minutes ago, Estro said:

What a strange year.

1 blowout loss to Colts

I think McDermotts failure to go for it on 4th down when the #s clearly say you should is the biggest reason for our 0-5 mark in close games. I've noticed McDermotts 4th down aggression is most conservative in close games or when we our losing (which was his explanation again for kicking fgs).  McDermott is the blackjack player who stays on 16s vs a dealer 10 because he's afraid to bust. He's a fool, and the media barely brings it up in post-game. Amazing

Spot on.

He is a clown who’s single handily holding this team back.

Media is scared shitless of the guy.

The "one score game" stats are so pointless and stupid. It's all case-by-case. The Bills lost a "one score game" in the opener vs Pitt (7-pt loss) but in reality they didn't have a chance late. They trailed by 10 and kicked a field goal to make it 7 and then didn't touch the ball again. 

The Titans, Jags and Pats games were all see-saw affairs and the Bills came up on the wrong end of those. 

Today's loss, the Bills were out and left for dead. The only reason why it became a one-score game was because the Bills rallied from the brink of pure annihilation to make the game what it ultimately became. Yes, it was a one-score defeat. But if the Bills didn't pull off an unreal late rally, it never becomes that. 

Official one-score game record in my book is 0-3! 😃

38 minutes ago, Estro said:

What a strange year.

1 blowout loss to Colts

The schedule is favourable to make the playoffs,  they should win 3 or maybe 4 more games and that would be 10–7 or 11-6,  I think that should be enough to make the playoffs. Should they miss the playoffs Sean will be under a lot of heat,  I think he survives at least for one more season but both coordinators will be replaced.  He has not made good decisions in the past two weeks and his coordinators have not been much better in play calling.

32 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Well, not going for it at the end of the 3rd proved to be the right call.  I thought it was game over when we punted down 14, but the offense had 2 chances to win the game.  Same story against New England.  Offense has come up small in the big moments.  That’s why we’re 0-5 in close games.  

Not sure how it turned out to be the right call when we gave up an 11 play 6 minute drive and allowed a FG to turn it into a 3 score game. We ultimately lost the game, in no small part due to that terrible decision 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Well, not going for it at the end of the 3rd proved to be the right call.  I thought it was game over when we punted down 14, but the offense had 2 chances to win the game.  Same story against New England.  Offense has come up small in the big moments.  That’s why we’re 0-5 in close games.  

Defense blew the titans game for sure 

0-5 in 1 score games. Studies show that 1 score outcomes for teams should generally result in a .500 record.

If a team outperforms that… their record in 1 score games decreases by an average of 50% the following season.

We won 5/6 1 score games last year (almost 6/6)… good for 83% of our 1 scores. Meaning this season we should be winning roughly 40% of our 1 score games. That would put us at 2-3 in 1 score games and 9-4 in the standings. 

We’re getting crushed here. 

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Not sure how it turned out to be the right call when we gave up an 11 play 6 minute drive and allowed a FG to turn it into a 3 score game. We ultimately lost the game, in no small part due to that terrible decision 

Yea I’d say it’s still wrong…offense just got super hot at the right time and scored insanely fast. We would’ve had to force a quick 3 and out and gotten the ball back in good field position for that punt to be worth it 

8 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Josh needs to learn, and develop confidence, to come up big at the end of games.  He failed against Titans, Jags, Pats and today. If he could have finished drives in those games, they would be 11-2.  Hopefully he will develop the clutch gene. 

I somewhat agree, particularly in the Jags game where he missed a wide open Sanders to extend the drive and at minimum force OT.

But Dawkins gets blown up and Josh loses his footing at the Titans, Daboll's play calling/drops/penalties doomed us against the Pats, and the Bills would have won the game last night if the obvious PI against Diggs was called.

I just don't know. Don't want to make excuses, but there seems to be an extraordinary confluence of bad luck that haunts this team in close games.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.