This game is squarely on the coaches

BuffBills51

Poor time management. Not adjusting our defense to stop the run. Why did we never go with a 5 man front? Last two possessions in the red zone running that stupid dive that never gains a yard. Challenging the spot when everyone knew we had no chance to win that challenge. We got completely out coached tonight and by a large margin. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

how many times did we run nickel and they ran it down our throat. i dont think you guys understand how bad this gameplan was. They threw the ball 2 times the entire game. Ive never seen something like this before. 

i doubt it was een frazier doing the playcalls cuz you know mcdermott takes over when were doing bad.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Bangarang said:

Kicking the XP was horrible but that challenge was a special kind of stupid. My goodness McD should be embarrassed for that.

To be fair. Mac Jones was clearly a half yard short for like 2 seconds before the RB pushed him. If the whistle went one second earlier it would have been short

1 minute ago, steven50 said:

I hate to say it but I agree the coaching was poor. That said the coaches didn't drop the passes, knox and diggs did.

Yeah but we can’t do anything but pass, there’s going to be some drops in this weather. Nothing was being caught unless it was right on the money.

Would be pretty cool if we could run the ball 50 times, not throw once, and still win. 

• Like (+1) 2

Somebody's got to go. Completely understand if it's not McD or a Coordinator since we're still technically in it, but an assistant, Babich, heck I'll take somebody getting demoted at this point. There needs to be some accountability, that awful game came after multiple embarrassing displays already this year.

100%.

McDermott continues to come up small in the biggest moments. The situational execution in the Redbone is maddening, the blown timeouts is maddening, the failed reviews is crazy. Handing the ball off to Zack "run into my own players" Moss is a total waste.

He needs to the the blame for this game. I saw him barking at his sideline when thr clock got reset and he realized they weren't going to get the ball back.

No that's on you Sean for only having 1 timeout, because you blew 2. Dude needs to take some responsibility for his failed game management.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I know people hate to do it, but you gotta stop giving the offense/QB a pass every time they lay an egg.

You give them all the credit in wins, then blame Daboll or McDermott in every loss. At some point you have to execute on the field, and the Bills failed in that regard on offense all night, even with great field position time & time again.

• Like (+1) 1

NE played better. We counted heavily in Knox and for good reason. He's been playing well. He let us down tonight. That and the Diggs missed opportunity. We had our chances, but the players didn't capitalize. We were in a position to win at the end. Bass missed a makeable fg. He makes that and the last drive only needs to be a FG to win.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Kicking the XP was horrible but that challenge was a special kind of stupid. My goodness McD should be embarrassed for that.

Should they get rid of him?

This is like the twentieth time people have criticised him… but there he is every week on the sidelines doing it again… 

9 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

Poor time management. Not adjusting our defense to stop the run. Why did we never go with a 5 man front? Last two possessions in the red zone running that stupid dive that never gains a yard. Challenging the spot when everyone knew we had no chance to win that challenge. We got completely out coached tonight and by a large margin. 

Sean and assistants are not very good in big games,  they got totally out coached.  Not contest

• Agree 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Should they get rid of him?

This is like the twentieth time people have criticised him… but there he is every week on the sidelines doing it again… 

No, getting rid of him would be foolish. Get rid of Daboll and fix the o-line.

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

NE played better. We counted heavily in Knox and for good reason. He's been playing well. He let us down tonight. That and the Diggs missed opportunity. We had our chances, but the players didn't capitalize. We were in a position to win at the end. Bass missed a makeable fg. He makes that and the last drive only needs to be a FG to win.

They gave it to him on the wrong hash into the wind. Makeable goes to 50/50 or worse.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

they aren't disciplined or tough or prepared ever. I don't know why people think it's his coach that turned things around. Looking at it now we had a good run in a fluke year, but this is back to his prior years.

Just now, Bangarang said:

if he makes bad in game calls ( challenges… kicking XPs as per your initial comment) then why is it foolish? It’s not the first time you have made these criticisms of him…

Yeah get rid of Daboll but won’t these issues remain?

13 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

Not to mention the major strategic error of not trying to push the pass more than we did.

The passing game was obviously going to be handicapped, and we couldn't serve a full menu of plays, but passing was the only thing we did with any continued success.  

Had we pushed it and gotten a TD or 2, it would have been game over, b/c NE and Mac would NOT have been able to follow suit.

We refused to let our playmakers make plays and do what makes us a good team.

Instead we tried to play the Patriots' type of game.

That's coaching failure 101.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Agree.

This team isn’t sharp when the game is on the line.

Penalties in the red zone, protection break downs, horrible play calling. 

Zack Moss is horrible, yet he continues to get on the field for some reason, while McKenzie sits because our staff can’t figure out how to use him.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Somebody's got to go. 

Can it be Pegula? Ruined the Sabres and got lucky with Bills drafting Allen. 

Acted like he cared about Buffalo but showed his true colors when he threatened to move the team if he doesn't get the taxpayers to build him a stadium. 

Edited by Lionel Hutz
  • Haha (+1) 1

Knox and Diggs could have had TDs. I think it was Diggs or Beasley completely open at the end  of the game but Josh had to scramble as again 2 guys came free at him. Basically... a great designed play that the players couldn't execute. Bills could have won this, let's be real here. I get the frustartion, as I'm POed AF. But the gameplan almost worked. That "almost" is the frustrating part.

Overall, pretty good plan except for two things. One,  why not put 5 DLs when it was OBVIOUS that ALL the Cheats plays would be runs going into the wind?

And two, vary the runs: trap blocks, sweeps, Josh designed runs. Straight power football down the middle is definitely NOT the Bills strength...

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

if he makes bad in game calls ( challenges… kicking XPs as per your initial comment) then why is it foolish? It’s not the first time you have made these criticisms of him…

Yeah get rid of Daboll but won’t these issues remain?

I think the good outweighs the bad with McD. 

• Agree 2

I think and several others do too.....time to let Brian go.  MY gawd what was he thinking???  Too many plays were oh so totally predictable!!!  Thatbeing said....sux that Knox missed a few and NO way am I saying that Diggs non catch was on him....ball sailed on him.....cant say the same about the Knox drops......bottom line?  Bills GOT outcoached!!!!!!

24 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

they got thoroughly outcoached by the greatest to ever do it. It happens. But you’re right we should not be settling for “oh well it’s Belicheck” excuses. 

1 minute ago, Jerome007 said:

I was intelligent to have all 3 RBs for this game IMO. But why not confuse the Cheats D by having all 3 on one play? Use some misdirections on run plays damn it!

Almost like in a game where you plan to run a decent amount, having a player you could do a reverse or something similar would be helpful

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Yeah but we can’t do anything but pass, there’s going to be some drops in this weather. Nothing was being caught unless it was right on the money.

Would be pretty cool if we could run the ball 50 times, not throw once, and still win. 

and that is in coaches and Bean.  We lack the personnel and coaches to win.  

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I think the good outweighs the bad with McD. 

McD is Marvin Lewis.  He’s not terrible, not elite though.  

• Agree 3

23 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Didn't fumble either. That mistake put us in the hole 8

The difference is Brenda didn’t choose to fumble. McDermott chose to use 2 timeouts and not go for 2. 

Im not 100% sure he’s not the one behind the conservative play calling in the red zone either. Everyone wants to blame Daboll, and fair enough, but his boss could maybe say something to him. 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

The difference is Brenda didn’t choose to fumble. McDermott chose to use 2 timeouts and not go for 2. 

Im not 100% sure he’s not the one behind the conservative play calling in the red zone either. Everyone wants to blame Daboll, and fair enough, but his boss could maybe say something to him. 

I’m okay with smart 4 down mentality play calling in the redzone, but it has not happened.  Good point about McD’s likely involvement. 

Brieda fumbles, Diggs drops a TD, Knox?!? And Josh literally giving up on a play in the RedZone when he thought an Offside was going to be called. Bass missed a makeable fg. I saw a game lost by the players. They were in a position to win at the end, but it didn't even have to come to that.  Players make the plays in front of them and we win.

5 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Nobody chooses to fumble. Doesn't excuse it. The player screwed up. Not coach.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

Brieda fumbles, Diggs drops a TD, Knox?!? And Josh literally giving up on a play in the RedZone when he thought an Offside was going to be called. Bass missed a makeable fg. I saw a game lost by the players. They were in a position to win at the end, but it didn't even have to come to that.  Players make the plays in front of them and we win.

Don’t forget the biggest one.  If Edmunds fills the correct gap, that 70 yards TD never happens and this is a VERY different game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Nobody chooses to fumble. Doesn't excuse it. The player screwed up. Not coach.

That’s my point. Go ahead and blame him for fumbling, but don’t excuse McDermott for his choices that happen week in and week out. 

when I played sports my coaches would always say “no mental mistakes”

The same goes for this coach. It’s inexcusable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

Don’t forget the biggest one.  If Edmunds fills the correct gap, that 70 yards TD never happens and this is a VERY different game. 

That was on Milano. IMO 

And the safety.

Edited by Dopey

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.