No more Tre, so what’s up now ? Nothing, some Team has bigger problems.

Italian Bills

Ok, all of us agree that losing Tre for the season is devastating for our “possible” chances to get the job done this year… well, i don’t see it. 

I’m still sure that, even if Tre is an outstanding player, we could afford his absence. It wouldn’t be like this if it was Josh and not Tre to be out for the season. We will find a way to replace Tre or we’ll find a way to make some little change at our defensive game plan… maybe using more double team against the best opposite WRs… or maybe switching more often from man to man to a zone coverage… 

Losing Josh would have been unfixable. So be calm, everything will be ok, if we find a way to play a better football both side, offense and defense, because lately we weren’t so good. 

Some team suffered worse injuries or general losses, ask the Titans with Henry, ask the Texans with Watson.. or what it could be if Indy would lose Taylor, or Baltimore with Jackson, or Green Bay losing Rodgers. 

Of course losing Tre for the season is a bad bad thing, but we can survive it if starting playing better over all. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I know everyone is trying to paint an optimistic picture here and that's fine. But this is a devastating loss.  We have a very good defense overall, but Tre was special and you can't replace that. This is hugely significant.

It’s a big loss but devastating?  We’ll see.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I know everyone is trying to paint an optimistic picture here and that's fine. But this is a devastating loss.  We have a very good defense overall, but Tre was special and you can't replace that. This is hugely significant.

Of course it is!  And there is NOTHING good about it.

These rationalization threads are foolish.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

The biggest thing w/ losing Tre - how many more points will opposing teams score?  How many more passes will they complete?

Tre wasn't the top player on a middlin' defense.  Tre was the top player on a D of great and good players, and the secondary in particular has one of the best safety tandems in the league.

Like the OP said, it's just not going to be night & day back there without him, as good as he is. We'll still have a top pass defense.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

It’s a big loss but devastating?  We’ll see.

If we were able to sack the QB regularly, I think we could make this less devastating, but these new guys will be expected to do some heavy duty coverage because we can't sack the QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Who was around for our 1st SB?

The Giants lost PHIL SIMMS late in the season.

Bad memory, but happens all of the time in sports.  If anyone listens to Bill Simmons (not recommended), he calls it the "Ewing Theory," based on a season where the Knicks lost Ewing and actually seemed to play better.

• Like (+1) 1

My hope and prayer is that the rest of the team as a whole uses this terrible news to dig a little deeper,  take it just that much more serious, have each player have that extra sense of urgency, especially every player on offence, play a little beyond what they think their best is.

As bad as this news is (Prayers for your healing Tre, the team could use this as a catalyst for greatness.

Win it FOR TRE!!  lol

23 minutes ago, Success said:

Who was around for our 1st SB?

The Giants lost PHIL SIMMS late in the season.

Bad memory, but happens all of the time in sports.  If anyone listens to Bill Simmons (not recommended), he calls it the "Ewing Theory," based on a season where the Knicks lost Ewing and actually seemed to play better.

Yeah, exactly what I was talking about, I didn't know about the 'Ewing' theory, but I could see this team rising to the challenge.

Many say, 'this offense could be so good.  We haven't seen their best yet', Maybe we will now.

I needed some hopium...

Edited by stosh64
  • Like (+1) 1

you can lose literally any STUD on your team and still win a SB.  The Giants lost Phil Simms, they beat us with Hostetler.  Think about that!   The Eagles lost Wentz, who was having a stud season, then proceeded to beat everyone including the unbeatable Pats to win a SB.  If you can't lose a stud CB and still have a chance, you never had a chance to begin with.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Their defense is so bad though, anyway 

No doubt.  You should be focusing on your boys!! They need you today!  Huge pick!!  I love Michigan QBs.  Always good for a timely awful throw.  Hammered OSU and the under today.  Scary start though.  The front 7 looks overmatched 

20 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Yeah, exactly what I was talking about, I didn't know about the 'Ewing' theory, but I could see this team rising to the challenge.

Many say, 'this offense could be so good.  We haven't seen their best yet', Maybe we will now.

I needed some hopium...

Exactly what i was saying: if the offense would start playing at A to A+ level (actually their level is B to B-), we could worry much less about Tre’s injury, because with the ton of talent we have with Josh and the WRs corp, we could score 30 almost every game.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No doubt.  You should be focusing on your boys!! They need you today!  Huge pick!!  I love Michigan QBs.  Always good for a timely awful throw.  Hammered OSU and the under today.  Scary start though.  The front 7 looks overmatched 

They suck!! I’m just pacing back anxious forth 

edit: my phone autocorrected “and” to “anxious” and I’ve never felt more one with my phone 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

If we could play Mac Jones twice, Cam Newton, the corpse of Matt Ryan, and Zach Wilson down the stretch we should be just fine. 

That's as ideal as it gets for the defense down a top CB

Just get in.  

Well, when you put it THAT way.

I mean, that really isn't much of a list as far as QB's go.  That post gave me more hope.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Ok, all of us agree that losing Tre for the season is devastating for our “possible” chances to get the job done this year… well, i don’t see it. 

I’m still sure that, even if Tre is an outstanding player, we could afford his absence. It wouldn’t be like this if it was Josh and not Tre to be out for the season. We will find a way to replace Tre or we’ll find a way to make some little change at our defensive game plan… maybe using more double team against the best opposite WRs… or maybe switching more often from man to man to a zone coverage… 

Losing Josh would have been unfixable. So be calm, everything will be ok, if we find a way to play a better football both side, offense and defense, because lately we weren’t so good. 

Some team suffered worse injuries or general losses, ask the Titans with Henry, ask the Texans with Watson.. or what it could be if Indy would lose Taylor, or Baltimore with Jackson, or Green Bay losing Rodgers. 

Of course losing Tre for the season is a bad bad thing, but we can survive it if starting playing better over all. 

Minga fach, whata you tryin ta say?

This team has 3 elite players, a bunch of good guys, a bunch of not so good guys.  We just lost 1/3 of our elite players.  Is it as bad as losing Josh.  Not by a mile.  Its still really bad.  Our D works because of our coverage.  Tre was the best piece of that coverage.  Dane Jackson isn't half the player Tre is and will be targeted all game every game.  Tre not only took part of the football field away but he also was smart.  Remember the Int that he had?  That wasn't even his guy.  That wasn't the first time he has done that either.  This D works due in lot because of Tre.  Its not like a team losing their star running back because the o line can still make a RB look good. There is now a really weak spot on D.  Its not as simple as giving that guy Dane Jackson help.  They would be changing their entire D philosophy to give him help.  Its not like throwing an extra TE on the field to give the line some help.

Saying all that... Im not saying our season is over because of it.  It just became significantly harder for the D though.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

The only other actual loss involving the teams you mentioned was Henry and the Titans play has suffered.  They now have to depend more on the Qb and they literally lost THE BEST running back in the NFL.  Now they are in a battle for the #1 seed and before they had it locked up if Henry was 100%.  Plus , we could play that team 10,x in. Their home and be lucky to win 3 times.   We had no a see for him just as we had no answer for Taylor.    Any team losing their first string Qb will take a huge loss and if lost for the season , it’s unlikely thru recovery to win a SB.  Imagine the Bucs losing Brady , do you actuallly think they find a way to recover from thAt.

Losing white , a five year starter , lockdown corner who had allowed NO TDS this year s a huge loss for the D.  No one on this roster is equal or they would be sharing duties or in place of Wallace.  

There is a noticeable drop off from white to Wallace , and Wallace iS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE #1 reciever usually. Now throw in Jackson , who we have seen in one game get beaten badly with a double move and luckily the qb missed a wide open receiver!  That happened against a qb with no where near the talent of Brady and no where near the accuracy of jones who also has the support of two good tight ends and two good power rbs! Also add an excellent d with good pash run ends against our o( with Dawkins struggling badly ,( whom I personally believe is showing signs of long Covid with fatigue and what looks like mental processing errors) and we will need to have a top performance for our o to make up for losimg a lockdown corner. 

So you are without you lockdown corner with no one close in talent to replace him ,let alone his leadership skills being gone now. Your o line is very inconsistent, so assume the o will not score its usual amount , as New England will run the ball and run clock off. However when they need to get a first down , now more options are available for Jones as Tre took one receiver away on most plays.   Unless our D can Can actually get some sacks , then qb will have more time  to allow that #1 receiver to get open against someone like Jackson. Tre was also more physical against the run so that’s another hit to our D. 

it’s just not reasonable to think you can keep removing starters from a team and they can just keep adjusting. The o line is not the same and the strength of our D, the safeties and the dbs who have played together many games have developed that chemistry can’t be simply just the same.  There’s a much higher chance for broken coverages now.  Might not matter as much against Jones , but it will matter against Brady who we almost never defeat.   We couldn’t tell anything against the Saints who had a third string qb and many of their stars out.   You didn’t mention what a difference having their star rb out has made with their play and record.   I’m not saying losimg Tre means a loss at home against the pats , but our margin for error just got a lot less.  They are similar to the colts and titans and I expect a one possession game.  

If Josh turns the ball over like he did the prior two games , we could easily lose to the pats And we will be in trouble getting into  the playoffs.  The only positive is this injury occurred with 11 days before paying the pats at home and that gets a lot more reps for tres replacement and time for Frazier and Mcd to scheme to minimize the huge loss in talent. I was predominantly worried about the inability to stop the pats run game but now without our best DB, it gives the pats one more option on O with a very accurate , patient , well coached Qb.  If it was anyone else on the d beside hyde or Tre, I would agree we could probably cover the loss in talent level.  A though three game span just got a lot tougher , each game is a playoff game for us.  We can’t have our  typical offensive lull after starting fast.  We can’t lose the turnover battle as that’s what has propelled our wins.  We lost really the one d player we have no close replacement for and unless the d line has  their best rush game to help, it’s a loss that may Cost us the game.  

not sure some of u understand how important Tre is to this defense.   a guy that can shutdown one side of the field basically by himself,  allows the rest of the D to do things they wont be able to if Jackson needs extra help.   this is a big loss,  Tre is an all pro for a reason.  hint,  its not for his tackling or run support,  although hes not bad at either of those things.   

we'll see how Dane holds up.   hope he can handle it cuz remember,  hes a backup corner who couldnt beat out Wallace,  a player a ton of peeps here dont like and want a replacement for.   that should tell u all u need to know about what this injury potentially does to this D.

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

My comment “Cole Beasley gets boo’d at every home game” got deleted. Can someone come please explain that to me? That’s really just beyond ridiculous 

Well, this is a thread about Tre, not Cole.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.