Star Lotulelei OUT with COVID - Could Miss Next Week Too

JohnNord

2 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

This is from August of this year: 

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints renewed its prior calls to members to get a COVID-19 vaccine and to wear face masks in public gatherings Thursday.

Church leaders said in a statement that available vaccines have proven to be both safe and effective and urged members to help limit the spread of the virus. The message was the latest in a series of statements from church leaders encouraging vaccination efforts against COVID-19.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/08/24/even-lds-leaders-are-struggling-get-mormons-vaccinated-against-covid/

2 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Have they disclosed if it is a positive test or close contact designation?

They're not allowed to say.  Only the player can.  But I don't think it makes a difference in terms of how long he sits out.

Just now, Doc said:

They're not allowed to say.  Only the player can.  But I don't think it makes a difference in terms of how long he sits out.

I believe it does make a difference.  I recall this summer when there was a rash of close contacts with Beasley, AJ Klein etc...  There were all cleared to play after 5 days from the close contact event and available for the Green Bay preseason game, when we initially assumed that they would not be.

8 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

I believe it does make a difference.  I recall this summer when there was a rash of close contacts with Beasley, AJ Klein etc...  There were all cleared to play after 5 days from the close contact event and available for the Green Bay preseason game, when we initially assumed that they would not be.

If so, let's hope it was just a close contact then.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

To be fair, whether he got vaccinated or not doesn't really count towards today. If he misses the Colts game, however... (unless he comes down with bad symptoms).

Hope he recovers quickly.

Have you already forgotten last weeks game?  The one where the 14 point dog beat the Bills?

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

If so, let's hope it was just a close contact then.

Definitely hope that's the deal...  Here are quotes from NFL Press release:  

"Unvaccinated individuals will continue to be subject to a five-day quarantine period if they have close contact with an infected individual."

"If an unvaccinated person tests positive, the protocols from 2020 will remain in effect. The person will be isolated for a period of 10 days and will then be permitted to return to duty if asymptomatic."

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/football-ops/2021-covid-related-operating-principles/

Edited by cwater10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hoping he gets well soon if he has symptoms, but I think we’ll be fine as a team. Interior D linemen aren’t my biggest worry over the next two weeks. Hope Star recovers easily, that’s the biggest issue at play imo. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Governor said:

What’s infuriating about it is that we probably would’ve made the SB with him last year. Tampa would’ve stomped us but still.

You obviously did not see how our offensive line looked in the AFC Championship Game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, JohnNord said:
Man this sucks.  Not so much for this week because I think the jets will try to throw the ball, but also because Star had COVID earlier this season and was not vaccinated.  That means he’s out for 10 days, and it means he’ll miss the game against Indy which could be a huge loss

When did Star have Covid "earlier this season"?  I think you are misinformed.

He had to isolate for 5 days as a close contact of a trainer who tested positive, which meant at the time (preseason), he was either unvaccinated or not completely vaccinated:

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/buffalo-bills/buffalo-bills-wr-cole-beasley-three-others-identified-as-close-contacts-of-trainer-who-tested-positive-for-covid-19

At this point, we do not know his vaccination status, which may have changed since that time.  Beane and McDermott both said that more players have gotten vaccinated since the start of the season.

54 minutes ago, Process said:

He's unvaccinated so he's out next game too right? 

We do not know his vaccination status at present, nor whether he was sent home as a close contact or due to symptoms.

He was apparently unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated in late August, when he missed 5 days as a close contact of an infected trainer.

If he is unvaccinated, he could have been a close contact and could be back in 5 days if he tests negative.

If he is vaccinated, he could also be back in 5 days if he's not symptomatic and tests negative.

If he's unvaccinated and has Covid, I hope he has a mild case and recovers quickly.

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

No it actually does make a difference if he contracted COVID.  If you are unvaccinated players are automatically out for 10 days whether you test negative or not.

If you are vaccinated, you can return after 2 negative tests.  

Essentially it can be the difference between 1 game vs 2 games 

Edited by JohnNord

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We do not know his vaccination status at present, nor whether he was sent home as a close contact or due to symptoms.

He was apparently unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated in late August, when he missed 5 days as a close contact of an infected trainer.

If he is unvaccinated, he could have been a close contact and could be back in 5 days if he tests negative.

If he is vaccinated, he could also be back in 5 days if he's not symptomatic and tests negative.

If he's unvaccinated and has Covid, I hope he has a mild case and recovers quickly.

I forgot that he could be a close contact… Hopefully that’s the case here 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Again: When did Star catch Covid this summer?  Please stop saying this until you show the evidence because I think it is incorrect.

My bad… you were right he was a close contact but he was still unvaccinated.  That’s was my point

This is yet another scary scenario for this team. It absolutely amazes me that Vaccinations are not mandatory at the very least for all the players and coaches in the NFL. If we make the playoffs and players like Diggs or Allen get Covid how screwed are we?. Vaccinated people still can get this virus even when being careful and having unvaccinated players on the team increases the chances hugely. Just ridiculous!

doubt NFL does anything about this for the rest of this season.  its too late to fight the NFLPA.  clearly there are alot of players who have "decided" to not get vaxxed.   Star being out,  Rothlisberger being out,  Rodgers being out last week,  Mitch,  tons of other no names from other teams we dont really hear about,   this isnt really all that surprising.

the thing that gets me is,  these guys have access to the best medical knowledge in the world in most cases,  and i guess it doesnt mean much.

sucks about Star,  the odds were good this would happen tho.   how long b4 another big time star or QB gets hit with it and cost his team games and or playoffs seeding etc?   we shall see.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:
Man this sucks.  Not so much for this week because I think the jets will try to throw the ball, but also because Star had COVID earlier this season and was not vaccinated.  That means he’s out for 10 days, and it means he’ll miss the game against Indy which could be a huge loss

What makes you think they're gonna throw? They're offense came alive with Mike White because they are running the ball and throwing short passes.. Star would be huge today.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Wow, this is actually terrible!   He has been playing possessed!  He was  a beast against the jags!   He was in the backfield , dominating the line and kept Edmunds clean all day!   Big loss for us, now our middle is all second string like our o line experienced! Also no zimmer to cover the loss!  Last year we seemed to get our share of lucky breaks, this year bad things keep happening, BAD THINGS MAN!    Critical game ,,,,,,even if we win and the Steelers win without Ben, suddenly they are above us in the playoff seeding!  That first game and of course our jags loss is already nibbling , if not biting us!  I feeel bad for Star, skipped last season because of Covid, only to get it at the half way point this year!  

After watching clay troia’s great breakdown of our embarrassing line play wher Ford  triple teamed a guy leaving clean runners at Josh, another play where all 5 of our lineman were beaten so badly by 4 guys,  they all had their backs turned watching Josh getting hit, I am at a show me state of mind regarding our O!   Hate  saying this,,,,hate it,,,,,but so many little things adding up ( Josh refusing to throw to wide open short/hot routes, refusing to run and take easy yards to just keep holding the ball for a deep route to clear etc.),,I am  thinking this team is in trouble!  You need luck and this year ours is less than good  Let’s see if Daboll can get Josh to listen , and can Dabs finally get back his creativity with motion, jet sweeps, up tempo etc or do we still not adjust if we get off to another slow start !?  We didn’t need this w Star,,,,bad things man !  Seems like a true pivot point in our season!  I want to enjoy a win as much as I’m enjoying looking at Cynthia’s nice legs in her unseasonable short, shorts outfit !   😄😉. No room for mistakes Bills ,,,,, just like Cynthia sitting down in front of the camera in those shorts!  

2 minutes ago, Beach said:

its funny how hardly anyone is concerned about the health of the player, only that he misses games.  shameful.

Come now. We all hope that he’s fine. So he can return to the field faster. ;)

Seriously though, nobody here doesn’t wish him well. I think that’s understood.