Star Lotulelei OUT with COVID - Could Miss Next Week Too

JohnNord

18 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I hope Star does not suffer any long-term effects (for example lung damage, permanent loss of smell, cognitive difficulty). Additionally, I hope he doesn't have short-term effects which in NFL terms would severely hinder his season... a doctor would probably call having fatigue and low energy that gets better after 1-2 months a short-term effect, but that's plenty bad enough to tank the rest of the year for an NFL player.

Not just that… how about the damage that COVID can do to a heart.  Probably concerning to a human his size - especially if that was the reason why he sat last year 

24 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I’ve been hoping that Harry would be the answer for three seasons now. He seemed that he was coming on at the beginning of last season, but hasn’t regained that form. One can always hope. Hope feels good.

Phillips has been solid though not spectacular throughout the year.  The difference is he’ll be going against one of the NFL’s best offensive lines.  I’m hoping he has the game of his career 

Un oh!  The Jets are going to trash the Bills D now!  Everyone panic!!!!  

Oh wait, the game already happened and they destroyed the Jets.   Maybe all the panicking was premature.

Some doctor could make a killing selling anxiety meds and antidepressants to the mentally weaker members of this board.

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This guy has been so inconcestent since he's been here. I hope they find a replacement for him next year in free agency. Star is awesome when he's on the field, but someone needs to draw the line eventually. I hope Harrison Phillips has a big game. Maybe his replacement is already on the team. 

Draw the line at catching an extremely contagious virus during a worldwide pandemic?

I'm sure the player's association would be totally fine with that reasoning.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Draw the line at catching an extremely contagious virus during a worldwide pandemic?

I'm sure the player's association would be totally fine with that reasoning.

True I guess, but it's frustrating as **** that this guy is never on the field. He opted out last year and that was his choice. 

5 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I’ve been hoping that Harry would be the answer for three seasons now. He seemed that he was coming on at the beginning of last season, but hasn’t regained that form. One can always hope. Hope feels good.

I think Harry was on the verge of being benched for Zimmer when Zimmer got hurt.

This is Harry's chance to shine, I hope he is able to take full advantage (and also able to remain healthy)

5 hours ago, FLFan said:

That is a ridiculous excuse.  Getting Covid is far more dangerous for anyone with a heart condition than the vaccine.  I have a number of heart problems and my doctors encouraged me to get it as soon as possible.   Sounds like internet rumor medicine. 

I can concur that as I have heart conditions as well.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Let's say we win against the Colts. Next week we have another big game against the Saints (every game is big at this point like u said.) Patriots face the Titans. Do we root for the Titans to propel us to a 1 & a 1/2 game lead in the division? Or do we root for the Pats to put us a game behind 1st place? 

Do we beat the Saints?

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This guy has been so inconcestent since he's been here. I hope they find a replacement for him next year in free agency. Star is awesome when he's on the field, but someone needs to draw the line eventually. I hope Harrison Phillips has a big game. Maybe his replacement is already on the team. 

I'm not sure what this means, in this context. 

It's not like catching covid and being ruled out per NFL protocols is something he has a choice about.

If it's true that he's not vaccinated, that's to me inconsistent with "opting out" last season due to Covid concerns, but it's still his right under the NFL/NFLPA agreement. 

Prior to this season and his "opt out" season, he appeared in all 16 games for 4 straight seasons, so it's not like he had a prior history of missing games.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hopefully the switch is actually on now and they go on a run.    There aren't 3 understandable losses left on the schedule.    

Yeah.  Last week was certainly impressive, albeit against a piss poor D.  Would love to see us finish this regular season just as we did in 2020.  En fuego

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Un oh!  The Jets are going to trash the Bills D now!  Everyone panic!!!!  

Oh wait, the game already happened and they destroyed the Jets.   Maybe all the panicking was premature.

Some doctor could make a killing selling anxiety meds and antidepressants to the mentally weaker members of this board.

You're really carrying the toughness torch tonight, innit. 

It's okay for people to come at the sport from different perspectives. We don't all have to think like Mike Vrabel from the comfort of our computers.

Football is a rough game, no doubt. And talking about it causes many people, you included, to project their own baggage/experiences onto their analyses. Just be confident in your own toughness and let the weaker members of the Bills flock be. Or better yet, protect them from the ugliness you've so obviously been party to. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mattynh said:

It was highly speculated he was one of the unvaxed in TC.   The fact he is missing this week mostly confirms that.   Poyer, Hyde, Bulter, Davis, Beasley, Edmunds were speculated.

It really doesn't confirm that.  This has been discussed in the Spencer Brown thread.

We're pretty sure he has Covid and is not a close contact, because of teammate interview comments about checking on his health "not being as bad as it could have been"

If he came back sooner, it would prove he was unvaccinated, but the rule for a vaccinated player is "48 hrs no symptoms, 2 negative tests 24 hrs apart OR no symptoms, 10 days, whichever is first."  And someone with a symptomatic infection may well still test positive after 10 days - the reason they exempt players who have been infected from testing for 90 days.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It really doesn't confirm that.  This has been discussed in the Spencer Brown thread.

We're pretty sure he has Covid and is not a close contact, because of teammate interview comments about checking on his health "not being as bad as it could have been"

If he came back sooner, it would prove he was unvaccinated, but the rule for a vaccinated player is "48 hrs no symptoms, 2 negative tests 24 hrs apart OR no symptoms, 10 days, whichever is first."  And someone with a symptomatic infection may well still test positive after 10 days - the reason they exempt players who have been infected from testing for 90 days.

Agreed, does not confirm.   I am making an assumption if vaxed he will get healthy quickly which would be the odds given statistics.   For any one case, anything is possible.

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

On WGR they said Star has a pre-existing condition where he didn’t feel comfortable getting the vaccine and why he decided not to play last year 

That still doesn't explain why he came back to play this season.  If he got the vaccine, it would make sense.  You can still get infected by others who are vaccinated.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Hope so. Getting vaccinated is never, just about YOU!

Hurting his team, otherwise. 

Actually, getting vaccinated is about YOU!

The Bills and football are just one part of his life. Playing football is coming to an end in a year or two for him. He has the rest of his life to think about. If he has a condition that makes him feel uncomfortable, he has every right to not get vaccinated. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

On WGR they said Star has a pre-existing condition where he didn’t feel comfortable getting the vaccine and why he decided not to play last year 

A heart condition is not a legit reason to not  get vaccinated.  If anything the effects of COVID such as Myocarditis threatens people with heart issues worse.  That is probably the reason why Star sat out last year…makes sense.  

His decision not to get vaccinated was a personal one.  Not a medical one.

• Disagree 1

If Star does have a pre-existing condition, his heart may not have anything to do with it.

"Testing performed a week [after the combine] ... showed that, compared to the tests previously obtained, the heart muscle function appeared to have improved," Stehlik wrote. "A treadmill stress test showed normal response of the heart to exercise, and an ambulatory EKG monitor revealed normal findings. This evaluation suggested that the initial heart function abnormality was likely transient, possibly resulting from a viral infection.

"A follow-up heart imaging test obtained on March 27, 2013, showed complete normalization of the heart muscle function."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/utah-dt-star-lotulelei-cleared-for-football-without-restriction/

16 minutes ago, Dopey said:

The Bills and football are just one part of his life. Playing football is coming to an end in a year or two for him. He has the rest of his life to think about. If he has a condition that makes him feel uncomfortable, he has every right to not get vaccinated. 

Where is the medical evidence that vaccinations have a negative effect for people with heart conditions?

If anything they research would support vaccinations for those with heart issues.  

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

If Star does have a pre-existing condition, his heart may not have anything to do with it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/utah-dt-star-lotulelei-cleared-for-football-without-restriction/

If it was too dangerous for him to play with the threat of COVID last year with his condition, why would he decide to play with the threat still being there and not take the best prevention against it?

20 minutes ago, Dopey said:

And the Bills have every right to lose because of that…

8 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Where is the medical evidence that vaccinations have a negative effect for people with heart conditions?

If anything they research would support vaccinations for those with heart issues.  

If it was too dangerous for him to play with the threat of COVID last year with his condition, why would he decide to play with the threat still being there and not take the best prevention against it?

Goodness, reasonable people will disagree on the issue of COVID. Let’s just wish all people, vaccinated or not come back full strength and let’s talk about a Bills win hopefully. It seems there are people who hope we lose simply because they didn’t make decisions they would make in their lives about a vaccine. It’s sad 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Goodness, reasonable people will disagree on the issue of COVID. Let’s just wish all people, vaccinated or not come back full strength and let’s talk about a Bills win hopefully. It seems there are people who hope we lose simply because they didn’t make decisions they would make in their lives about a vaccine. It’s sad 

I can agree with that.  I don’t hope that they lose by any means.  But I also disagree with Star not getting vaccinated especially given last year and would echo the sentiments made by Beane, McDermott and the Pegulas earlier this season 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

If it was too dangerous for him to play with the threat of COVID last year with his condition, why would he decide to play with the threat still being there and not take the best prevention against it?

Only Star can answer that, anything else is speculative. I speculate he used the virus as an excuse to take the year off. I remember reading a quote that “Star doesn’t love football, he loves his family.” After watching the Bills have success all the way to the AFC Championship game and getting nagged by the wife at home, he realized he wasn’t ready to hang up the cleats and even said something to that effect at the start of the year. It gave him a fresh and renewed desire to play and he got himself into the best shape of his career coming into the season and was posting numbers that weren’t seen since his earlier years in Carolina. His play has tailed off a bit, so I do hope he doesn’t take months to recuperate like Dawkins. He needs to come back to playing at a high level ASAP.

1 minute ago, CorkScrewHill said:

My goodness .. you stated anything else is speculation and then speculated he came back because the Bills were good last year and his wife was nagging him .. did he tell you this or do you know because you work at Facebook or GOOGLE.. since they know everything about everyone?

Star himself said he was sitting at home watching the team’s success and wished he was a part of it. He also mentioned his wife nagging him at home. I just incorporated that into my speculation - and that’s all it was meant to be: my perspective. Chill out.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Star himself said he was sitting at home watching the team’s success and wished he was a part of it. He also mentioned his wife nagging him at home. I just incorporated that into my speculation - and that’s all it was meant to be: my perspective. Chill out.

My apologies .. I missed that ,..totally on me!

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Show me the research that supports your claim.

We've all learned a lot about covid since last year. He thinks it's ok to play. You would have to ask him about that. Pretty sure his answer will be mind your own f-ing business.

If the Bills lose, so what. You seem to take this too seriously. Hint: your life doesn't depend on the Bills wins or losses. If it does, get a life.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

The Bills could have chosen to walk away from everyone who was not vaccinated!!!

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

Nope. Team Sports are the classic definition of ‘it’s not about you’! Because, you can affect and in this case- infect, multiple teammates, causing the org a big issue!

He has only one choice- get vaccinated or- because of his own body- don’t play! As simple as that.

He and every other player, are not island silos!

• Like (+1) 1