Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

Wow, what a strategy. Then why keep an extra RB when they don't run much?  Seriously, that is some flawed thinking. IMO. 

Extra RB is needed more than an expendable career STer. Taiwan is good, but lets be honest, how many chances is he going to get to make a difference in a game considering how often we don’t punt? 

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Definitely not.  What is reasonable is that Haack + Jones replacement MAY make his perceived role diminished enough they move on from him.

That has been my take all off season. 

For the record, I was advocating for moving on from Jones earlier this summer, as well. But that was before seeing how little we had a P/KR, the release of D. Johnson, J. Johnson's injury, and McKenzie jacking up his shoulder. 

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Replacing a top notch ST player for a player who "can do the job" is a preposterous trade off, IMO. Especially when you are dealing with back of the roster offensive or defensive players.  Those players very rarely get an opportunity to play offense or defense, so their contribution to those units is minimal.  OTOH, a great ST player makes a big impact several times in virtually every game.  A great ST unit needs players who are great at the job,

While not wrong, that’s really you making Taiwan into a god at Gunner that is so irreplaceable when you don’t really know the gap between him and the next guy who can play gunner.

All you are doing is creating an imaginary drop off you have no point of reference of.  You can’t even tell me who will replace him at gunner let alone tell me that Taiwan is that much better than him that Taiwan is irreplaceable. 

You are essentially saying Taiwan is the Patrick Mahomes of gunners and his replacement is the Jake Fromm of gunners.   But we just don’t know that yet, not me nor you.

That’s all it is.  And if Taiwan makes the team, then great, means they felt he was that much better and chose to keep him and I’m fine with that.  I’m just not sold on that being case personally right now because we have some good prospects I’d like to hold onto elsewhere or guys like Brieda who I think could add value in more game situations.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

For the record, I was advocating for moving on from Jones earlier this summer, as well. But that was before seeing how little we had a P/KR, the release of D. Johnson, J. Johnson's injury, and McKenzie jacking up his shoulder. 

Actually after the "ST only" players from last year have moved on (Andre Roberts and Bam Johnson) I can see Jones making the team.

BUT maybe they move on from him too.  It's 4pm lets find out!

Go Bills!

i didnt realize Taiwan was such a top notch special teamer, not being sarcastic here if he makes team i guess i am gonna have to pay more attention to what he contributing, its just with so many touchbacks and less punts from Bills i havent noticed the guy.

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Extra RB is needed more than an expendable career STer. Taiwan is good, but lets be honest, how many chances is he going to get to make a difference in a game considering how often we don’t punt? 

Again, much like the other guy, you say "expendable". McDermott says "best gunner in the league". Even if I were on your side, logically I'd realize that it doesn't line up with that of the Head Coach. That's what baffles me with you guys. 

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Again, much like the other guy, you say "expendable". McDermott says "best gunner in the league". Even if I were on your side, logically I'd realize that it doesn't line up with that of the Head Coach. That's what baffles me with you guys. 

He maybe the best gunner in the league, but what good is having the best gunner in the league when the few next steps down can accomplish something nearly as well? Especially considering how well Haack punts and holds opponents to fair catches inside the 20 and how little we punt the ball? 

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Same head coach said how important it was to get more speed ON THE FIELD at RB, but you downplay that and Brieda too.  

Same head coach praised Daryl Johnson also just watched him get traded.  

In other words, coaches praise guys all the time, doesn’t mean they ultimately fit into the final roster plans.  

But you seem to cherry pick and take the one comment on Taiwan as the only thing that matters.  Shows they like him for sure, but doesn’t guarantee a roster spot.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

He maybe the best gunner in the league, but what good is having the best gunner in the league when the few next steps down can accomplish something nearly as well? Especially considering how well Haack punts and holds opponents to fair catches inside the 20 and how little we punt the ball? 

You still need good gunner play to force fair catches.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

This is true, but is Taiwan a gunner god? So much so that we can’t afford to take a few pegs down a notch to help support our need for more WR bodies considering how often we run 5 wide and McKittrick hurt? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Again, does not mean there isn’t someone else capable of good gunner play.  That’s the point.  Some of you have made this decision ONLY Taiwan is capable of it

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This is true, but is Taiwan a gunner god? So much so that we can’t afford to take a few pegs down a notch to help support our need for more WR bodies considering how often we run 5 wide and McKittrick hurt? 

Gunner University this summer hosted by Gunner God Taiwan Jones. The who's who of gunners will be there, don't miss it

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, does not mean there isn’t someone else capable of good gunner play.  That’s the point.  Some of you have made this decision ONLY Taiwan is capable of it

Nobody has proved to the coaching staff that they are in the same league. If/when they do, I imagine Taiwan will be gone. So yes, at this point in time, I have to assme he is head and shoulders above some of the others being considered.

At I know how to tell time. It's past 4! Where's the 53 list?

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

The gunner's also play on kickoffs, kick returns, and punt returns fwiw.  

I'm just thrilled to have the Bills finally in a place where we are arguing whether to keep a ST Gunner vs 5th RB vs 7th WR, instead of trying to figure out a solution at QB, LT, DE, or any other starting position.

Work your magic, Beane.

GO BILLS!

• Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Nope. He is just demonstrably better than the alternatives. 

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

Nobody has proved to the coaching staff that they are in the same league. If/when they do, I imagine Taiwan will be gone. So yes, at this point in time, I have to assme he is head and shoulders above some of the others being considered.

This is a fair assessment. If this is the coaching staff decision, so be it. I guess that will just prove how valuable Taiwan is. 

Just now, The Dean said:

I felt trading Johnson made Jones a lock.  He played in the preseason as much as Allen did.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Actually after the "ST only" players from last year have moved on (Andre Roberts and Bam Johnson) I can see Jones making the team.

BUT maybe they move on from him too.  It's 4pm lets find out!

Go Bills!

Except Bam Johnson (along with 66% of special teams snaps each year - also played 20% of defensive snaps.  He was more than ST only.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Well we don’t know that either.  Did you watch the gunners all preseason?  I mean we dominated the opponents in preseason, so how did the guys playing gunner look?

I didn’t pay attention to them much, but I also did not see any bad ST plays either.  And Taiwan didn’t play a snap in the preseason which tells me they were looking at other players because even Josh Allen played.  Taiwan is not more important than Allen, Hughes, Cole, etc who all played in the third game.

So now the question is, did someone show well enough in that role to fill his role…we will know soon enough.  

Edited by Alphadawg7