Ouch.....thats gonna leave a mark

HOUSE

10 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Just curious. Are you an NFL coach?

I know where this is going. Are you saying that NFL coaches don't complain to the refs even when it's clear that the refs made the right call?

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

I know where this is going. Are you saying that NFL coaches don't complain to the refs even when it's clear that the refs made the right call?

[OJ to Howard] You have a firm grip on the obvious [/OJ to Howard]

8 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Clear penalty based on the rules but I don’t think it was dirty hit.

I agree. He did not lower his head and lead with the crown of his helmet.  But you can’t hit a QB helmet to helmet these days. Automatic flag. No one on here wants to see Allen take shots like that. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Welcome to the NFL, rookie.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Do you REALLY think that would not get a flag every time, or do you just wish it wouldn’t get a flag? I got some news for you, that will get a flag 10 out of 10 times. Refs don’t care about the chin strap. They are taught to protect the QB at all costs. Every. Single. Time.  

I don’t think it was intentional, and I enjoyed watching it (especially in a blowout preseason game), but I do NOT want to see that hit in a close playoff game. Have to play hard AND smart.

Agreed. Reverse the roles and this board will light up on fire. 

8 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I’ve watched that video 5 times and Fields never even saw him coming! He never lowered his head and the hit was high and reckless.  That get you suspended in the regular season.

That would not result in a suspension in the regular season. You can see Smith bending his head away from Fields' helmet, yet it's not enough and he makes helmet to facemask contact. According to modern rules he was appropriately flagged for it, but that would not get a suspension. 

Also, I don't know if I've seen a helmet that loose since...who was it? McNabb?

Edited by NickelCity
  • Like (+1) 1

• HOUSE changed the title to Ouch.....thats gonna leave a mark
6 hours ago, NickelCity said:

That would not result in a suspension in the regular season. You can see Smith bending his head away from Fields' helmet, yet it's not enough and he makes helmet to facemask contact. According to modern rules he was appropriately flagged for it, but that would not get a suspension. 

Also, I don't know if I've seen a helmet that loose since...who was it? McNabb?

I agree about how lose the helmet was on. That flew right off.  I see Smith bending his head but it’s towards fields not away. (Obviously IMO).  Mind you if that had been Allen receiving the exact same hit I dare say 90% on this board would be calling for a huge suspension of whoever did the hit. 

Now I don’t think he meant to light him up like that (helmet to helmet) and if I was a Bears fan I’d be just as angry at the lack of O line protection.  (I don’t think anyone touched The Bills guy on the way in)

• Vomit 1

Spare me the sanctimonious BS, I absolutely loved that hit and the best part about it was Fields’ head band going flying off too. It was an absolute yard sale on the field haha. It’s preseason and means nothing so give me a break. If Josh got hit like that I’d say next time switch the protection so you don’t get whacked by a free rusher. It wasn’t dirty, it deserved a flag in today’s NFL. That’s it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 8/22/2021 at 9:59 AM, PatsFanNH said:

I agree about how lose the helmet was on. That flew right off.  I see Smith bending his head but it’s towards fields not away. (Obviously IMO).  Mind you if that had been Allen receiving the exact same hit I dare say 90% on this board would be calling for a huge suspension of whoever did the hit. 

Now I don’t think he meant to light him up like that (helmet to helmet) and if I was a Bears fan I’d be just as angry at the lack of O line protection.  (I don’t think anyone touched The Bills guy on the way in)

The helmet was fastened correctly, according to fields. It was the particular angle of the hit that made it pop off, he said. 

The hit wasn’t so much on the OL as it was on Fields. The OL did shift protection to the left side which was incorrect as the Bills were overloaded to the right side.  Not sure if that was on the Center, but ultimately it is Fields who needs to see that pre-snap, read the blitz, and take the hot read to the RB in the flat on the right side. He instead wanted to wait on Ridley making the double move on the left and that was the wrong decision with the unblocked pass rusher coming from the right. A vet QB makes that read. Fields said after the game that he was aware of the mistake and it was a learning moment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That hit was dirty.

He launched.

He led with his helmet.

He hit him in the face with his helmet.

It was an absolutely filthy play and totally unnecessary - ESPECIALLY in a meaningless game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 3

On 8/21/2021 at 8:01 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Wait until Allen gets hit like that and we will see this board go nuts

He was hit like that (worse imo) in game 1 by NYJ DE Bashem.  The camera did not catch it too well and Josh completed the pass to  Knox so it was not such a big deal, game effect wise.  Josh had the ball out well before the hit.

Ball leaves Josh's hand.JPG

Launched into helmet.JPG

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fields said the hit itself didn’t hurt. The helmet hitting him in the eye did, though. He took accountability for the hit, as he should have. 

No hate for Fields... I was referring to Brady. Glad to hear Fields took accountability, maybe he can pay the fine then:flirt: 

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That hit was dirty.

He launched.

He led with his helmet.

It was an absolutely filthy play and totally unnecessary - ESPECIALLY in a meaningless game.

Time to get your eye prescription adjusted Gugs...:oops:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

24 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That hit was dirty.

He launched.

He led with his helmet.

Funny how people can see the same play but see it differently.  Smith's right foot was in the turf and his face mask struck Fields"shoulder.  Thus, not lanched and not hitting him in the face with his helmet.  Notice Fields still looking at the defense at the moment of impact.  But, get used to these calls.  There will be way more of them with an improved pass rush.  Just a violent, legal hit often looks like a penalty.

Smith Hits Fields.JPG

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Funny how people can see the same play but see it differently.  Smith's right foot was in the turf and his face mask struck Fields"shoulder.  Thus, not lanched and not hitting him in the face with his helmet.  Notice Fields still looking at the defense at the moment of impact.  But, get used to these calls.  There will be way more of them with an improved pass rush.  Just a violent, legal hit often looks like a penalty.

Smith Hits Fields.JPG

If you play/pause one more time, you'll see both feet off of the turf.  This is a textbook picture of launching and leading with one's helmet - as well as hitting the opponent head-to-head.

The call was correct.

The league has been very actively trying to remove this exact type of hit from the game for years.

It was a good call on a dirty hit.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If you play/pause one more time, you'll see both feet off of the turf.  This is a textbook picture of launching and leading with one's helmet - as well as hitting the opponent head-to-head.

The call was correct.

The league has been very actively trying to remove this exact type of hit from the game for years.

It was a good call on a dirty hit.

A launch would have both feet off the ground before impact and the legs parallel.  This is running through the tackle.  You do realize that it is normal for any runner to have both feet off the ground during their stride?

sprint-to-finish-pictured-man-flying-toward-line-kilometer-race-both-feet-off-ground-his-face-shows-pain-92528705.thumb.jpg.94fdc22d513250e113bedb4c784f85bc.jpg

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

2 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

A launch would have both feet off the ground before impact and the legs parallel.  This is running through the tackle.  You do realize that it is normal for any runner to have both feet off the ground. 

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is: ... It is an illegal launch if a player (i) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (ii) uses any part of his helmet to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent's body.

Looking at the picture, I'll stand by my original assessment that this is textbook launching.

Edited by Gugny
  • Dislike 1

On 8/21/2021 at 4:09 PM, Cheektowaga Chad said:

It was a penalty but it wasn't dirty or cheap

Would Smith get tossed for targeting if the NFL had college rules? I don't think he would have 

Agreed.  That hit will draw a flag 11/10 times in this league but it was not targeting.  You cannot go high on the QB.  Smith needs to lower the target to somewhere around the waist.  But not too low.  You cannot go low on the QB either.

• Vomit 1

Thanks for the quote.   .................leaves both feet prior to contact.............The side of Smith's helmet did hit Smith's facemask after the initial impact.  Yes, penalty.  Launch no.  Dirty no.  But, different opinions make for a more interesting discussion.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Agreed.  That hit will draw a flag 11/10 times in this league but it was not targeting.  You cannot go high on the QB.  Smith needs to lower the target to somewhere around the waist.  But not too low.  You cannot go low on the QB either.

It happens often enough where the hit will be waist high and the impact and/or QBs' own movement will drive him backwards and the defender slides down toward the QB's knee area by the time they land.  Penalty.  Get used to them.  We will see a bunch of them.

9 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

But, different opinions make for a more interesting discussion.

This is boring!  When I call you a moron, then you call me an a-hole and we eventually agree to fight at the home opener ... THEN it's an interesting discussion!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is boring!  When I call you a moron, then you call me an a-hole and we eventually agree to fight at the home opener ... THEN it's an interesting discussion!

LOL.  Ok.  Maybe when the gout clears out of my feet.  I posted this back thread but here is Bashem launching into Josh's helmet after the ball was out.  Camera work is fuzzy, but this was a launch.  Feet off the ground, legs parallel like Eddie the Eagle ski jumping.  Near as I could tell there was not a fine.

Ball leaves Josh's hand.JPG

Launched into helmet.JPG

On 8/21/2021 at 10:33 PM, Warcodered said:

I think the helmet popping off made a lot of people overreact. 

I think the unproperly fastened helmet popping off made a lot of people overreact.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Cage fights would be an interesting alternate to PSLs.

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm willing to bet he's worn his chin strap that way for a long time but I'm too lazy to look up OSU clips.

I have seen discussions about how it is better to wear it that way so when helmet is hit it absorbs the energy rather than player.

Like argument it is better to not have seat belt on so you are thrown free of crash.

• Awesome! (+1) 1