Ouch.....thats gonna leave a mark

HOUSE

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

Smith has a clear path to a QB who doesn't see him coming and so he clocks him full speed helmet to helmet and gets a 15 yard pen., what a dangerous idiot.

Nah... I guarantee you that no players have any ill-will towards Smith for that.

17 minutes ago, elijah said:

The amount of people defending this and calling it clean 😬 

If Allen got hit like this Buffalo would be fuming, call a spade a spade and recognize its dirty 

It was a penalty, dirty is another story.   These plays happen fast, there is not always time to aim as well as you need to per the rules.

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Dirty play

False, clean as Josh Allen's jock strap after this game.:wub:

4 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Bills fans view of a clean play or dirty play totally depends on who is taking the shot.  That play reversed against Allen this place would have blown up.

That would've hit Allen in the no touch zone... therefore you don't touch Allen like that. 

• Vomit 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Definitely a penalty by the rule, but it's not a dirty play and I'd be coaching the guys to make that hit all day.

Gotta hit him a foot lower.   Coaches don't want that penalty.   

Smith blew it.  He'll learn. 

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, mattynh said:

It was a penalty, dirty is another story.   These plays happen fast, there is not always time to aim as well as you need to per the rules.

Not dirty, but he had time to aim.   Plenty of time.   Straight run at the QB, hit in in the belly.  

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Not dirty, but he had time to aim.   Plenty of time.   Straight run at the QB, hit in in the belly.  

It can be corrected.  I see your point but I also see if from the point of a defender who was probably anticipating he would not stand there blind to the rush like a statue.    He probably was waiting for Fields to escape one way or the other but he never saw it coming.  

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

It can be corrected.  I see your point but I also see if from the point of a defender who was probably anticipating he would not stand there blind to the rush like a statue.    He probably was waiting for Fields to escape one way or the other but he never saw it coming.  

Right.   I'm not saying it's easy.   Obviously, the guy has been coached not to hit the QB in the head, but at full speed with a mobile QB, it's not easy.   

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

No it wasn't. Smith lowered his head towards Field's chest. Fields at the last minute lowered his head, making Smith's helmet contact the bottom of Fields face mask. 

Lowered his helmet to initiate contact, you mean? Yeah, that's a flag.

Good hustle, but he absolutely created contact to the QB's head. It's not even a debate. That's a flag for every QB in the league except Cam Newton. Every time.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Definitely a penalty by the rule, but it's not a dirty play and I'd be coaching the guys to make that hit all day.

I agree it’s a penalty, but not a dirty play. There was no obvious intent to injure, but stuff happens at full speed. 

Because it’s going to be penalized every time, I would coach NOT to make the hit in that manner. It hurts your team. Aim for the numbers, put your head to the side, whatever. Just don’t bang helmets because that draws yellow flags. 

Still a great play I enjoyed watching, I must admit. :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, beavis said:

Awful play. No skill. You're in the NFL. Learn not to be penalized.

Beavis, you are a butthead💩

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I agree it’s a penalty, but not a dirty play. There was no obvious intent to injure, but stuff happens at full speed. 

Because it’s going to be penalized every time, I would coach NOT to make the hit in that manner. It hurts your team. Aim for the numbers, put your head to the side, whatever. Just don’t bang helmets because that draws yellow flags. 

Still a great play I enjoyed watching, I must admit. :)

Not dirty, not a flag, Fields just learned he needs to tighten his chinstrap

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Beavis, you are a butthead💩

Not dirty, not a flag, Fields just learned he needs to tighten his chinstrap

Do you REALLY think that would not get a flag every time, or do you just wish it wouldn’t get a flag? I got some news for you, that will get a flag 10 out of 10 times. Refs don’t care about the chin strap. They are taught to protect the QB at all costs. Every. Single. Time.  

I don’t think it was intentional, and I enjoyed watching it (especially in a blowout preseason game), but I do NOT want to see that hit in a close playoff game. Have to play hard AND smart.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s tough these days as you have to try and anticipate what the QB is going to do at the last second, and although a definite penalty, as you just can’t have helmet to helmet hits.  These LBers have to somehow miraculously hit with the shoulder pad with the head to the side and hit between the numbers on the jersey, and oh btw, you have to almost alligator roll off in mid air so you don’t land on the body of the QB full force.  

My point is that is a lot to know and act on in a split second, but by these rules, that was a penalty.  I really don’t think he was intending to decapitate Fields, and Fields probably didn’t have his strap fastened down properly.  Lastly, I think it looks a lot worse than it really was in real time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

No it wasn't. Smith lowered his head towards Field's chest. Fields at the last minute lowered his head, making Smith's helmet contact the bottom of Fields face mask. 

I’ve watched that video 5 times and Fields never even saw him coming! He never lowered his head and the hit was high and reckless.  That get you suspended in the regular season.

• Vomit 2
  • Disagree 5

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do you REALLY think that would not get a flag every time, or do you just wish it wouldn’t get a flag? I got some news for you, that will get a flag 10 out of 10 times. Refs don’t care about the chin strap. They are taught to protect the QB at all costs. Every. Single. Time.  

I don’t think it was intentional, and I enjoyed watching it (especially in a blowout preseason game), but I do NOT want to see that hit in a close playoff game. Have to play hard AND smart.

I want to see that hit on Brady 10 out of 10 times... hopefully there would be no flag as an added bonus but we all know better. 

I thought I saw contact with shoulder, how many times have we seen our guys just wrap a guy and wait for the whistle only to have them escape and throw a TD bomb?

Probably never, but I do remember Watson and somebody else doing that to us for long gains...*****, Hughes gets 15 yards for patting a teammate on the helmet... Might as well ensure the 15 yards was worth it with a clean hit. I applaud the effort.

19 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I’ve watched that video 5 times and Fields never even saw him coming! He never lowered his head and the hit was high and reckless.  That get you suspended in the regular season.

It's OK Brady... the refs still are protecting you:flirt:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

If you are going to do the time, might as well do the crime.

Players get no credit for attempting to avoid bad hit.

Reminds me of auto accidents.  Even if you cannot avoid an accident by someone pulling into your path you are still penalized.

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

In his post game press conference, Justin Fields was asked what he thought about the game. He answered, "What Game? We didn't have a game today."

Based on that he should be put on IR for a year with concussion like symptoms.

47 minutes ago, Draconator said:

So you determine my thoughts now?

You said he lowered his head to make a hit. That's what they call lowering the helmet to initiate contact, which is a flag.

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

I hate to say this, I really do.. but penalty or not, whether this gets a flag 10/10 or not, whether what Smith did was illegal or not, if the Bills defense takes shots like this at the right time, it is an effective way to play defense. I agree that you can’t do this too often and I agree that in certain situations this isn’t the smart play, but tell me how many shots can Fields can take like this without seeing ghosts? If we can get a couple shots on Wilson, Tua and Mac Jones like this, wouldn’t you say it’s worth it?

I think you have to weigh the penalties against the possible momentum shift of the game. I am against going after peoples knees and that sort of thing, that’s absolute bullcrap, but a few hits like the one Andre landed on Fields can win you football games.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

You said he lowered his head to make a hit. That's what they call lowering the helmet to initiate contact, which is a flag.

Just like EVERY other defensive player in the NFL. What Smith did is no different from any other player. 

Just now, Draconator said:

Just like EVERY other defensive player in the NFL. What Smith did is no different from any other player. 

Every player that makes contact in the head or neck area of a QB, and that includes the facemask, will get a flag. Those are the rules. It happens in almost every single game.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Every player that makes contact in the head or neck area of a QB, and that includes the facemask, will get a flag. Those are the rules. It happens in almost every single game.

Just curious. Are you an NFL coach?

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah, that’s called leading w the helmet. Plus launched at him. I would be livid if someone hit Allen like that.

Watch the slow-mo, it was literally face into shoulder with the only helmet contact being a graze across the the edge of the face mask.

And I'm actually a proponent of the roughing the passer rule.  I've actually called out players on a number of occasions here for unnecessary drilling opponents,and you're just wrong.