Gameday Postgame Thread Bills 16 Lions 15

Just now, HappyDays said:

Stevenson was the only player in the 4th quarter that looked like he belongs on an NFL roster. I hope he is rewarded with 2nd string reps against Chicago. Since he was an actual draft pick I'd like to see what he can do.

Same, should definitely jump to number 2 returner as well.

Just now, pi2000 said:

I get it, but you're going to judge him on those plays?  If that's the case, call something dow field, let him stretch out his arm a bit.

He was already deep in the Lions territory (in long FG range) after the long downfield throw to Stevenson on 4th down.  They were purposely doing sideline passes to see if he could be accurate on late drives where you're just trying to improve the FG yardage.  Regular season with Josh in there they run because they don't need to evaluate the QB.  

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Waiting too long if you ask me.  Give him a plane ticket on a commercial flight and a meal ticket before he leaves the locker room.

Also I think Tasker is drunk.

I wasn't listening but a friend texted me the same thing.

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He was already deep in the Lions territory (in long FG range) after the long downfield throw to Stevenson on 4th down.  They were purposely doing sideline passes to see if he could be accurate on late drives where you're just trying to improve the FG yardage.  Regular season with Josh in there they run because they don't need to evaluate the QB.  

Not buyin it.

I would've rather they played to the situation.   Use it to evaluate the interior of your line, the ability of the RB to protect the ball, etc etc

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, wjag said:

I don’t care that it was a preseason game. I want to win them all. There’s value in that 4th quarter game winning drive.

Normally I don’t care too much about winning in preseason.  You look at your new players and hope to find a few to add that will make you better.  You play your backups to make them better.   You play the starters just enough to get their timing and to knock off the rust.  

There was value in winning tonight. The fact that the 4Q drive adds to Bass’s development is important.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This guy really cracked the code. s/

That is just a terrible take - seems like the staff wanted to get some serious run blocking practice for the guys they had starting (mostly 2nd stringers) against Detroit’s starters.  They showed well.

Webb and Fromm - it was nice to see them actually throw a pass against another team.  That had not happened for either of them.

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Same, should definitely jump to number 2 returner as well.

Supposedly in camp he has bobbled a few returns. Well tonight he looked very natural back there. Maybe he is the type to look better in games than in practice.

34 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Play of the game: Rousseau and AJ meeting in the middle for sandwich sack.

Screamed at my buddy, "That's our f***in' future!!"

He was not as enthusiastic as me...maybe b/c I woke up his wife.

What were you doing sleeping with his wife?

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Not buyin it.

I would've rather they played to the situation.   Use it to evaluate the interior of your line, the ability of the RB to protect the ball, etc etc

The line was a bunch of bartenders. The main guy was Fromm.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Play of the game: Rousseau and AJ meeting in the middle for sandwich sack.

Screamed at my buddy, "That's our f***in' future!!"

He was not as enthusiastic as me...maybe b/c I woke up his wife.

No kids, no foul....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Uh no there is not.  There just isn't. There is zero value.  Almost all those guys will be on the street in 3 weeks.  The only value to the fourth round of a preseason game is the starters are not on the field to get hurt.  That's it.  

Uh no, you’re wrong, this is a team that expects to win every game,  even preseason games, it’s all about, player attitude, from the starters to the soon to be under employed. 

Go Bills!!!

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Then why did the other guy go before him?

Stevenson Ed's former roommate. 

I believe they had Powell go first because he actually has experience at returning kicks and Stevenson doesn’t.

I also think as McD said - there are some guys that are going to get cut and this might be the only chance we see them.  I think he wanted to see a bit from Powell to help decide on cutting him.  I think Stevenson was sticking around after this game no matter what - so let’s see Powell and if he doesn’t shine - he becomes cut/trade bait.

The Bills are a lot stronger at linebacker than given credit for.

Jake Fromm was handicapped by poor line play.  Thank you Bobby Hart.  There's no reason to keep Fromm over Webb however.  Webb is clearly better. 

A few bad/stupid penalties.  Also the officiating is in midseason form (terrible). 

Reports of Stevenson's demise seem to be premature, but there's not much room at the back of the roster at WR.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Are we underestimating just how great of a pick beane made on Bass? The dude is looking like he could be a star.

It's entirely possible that without Bass we would have lost to the Colts and the current narrative would be that McDermott can't win a playoff game. That's how razor thin the margins are in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

The Bills are a lot stronger at linebacker than given credit for.

Jake Fromm was handicapped by poor line play.  Thank you Bobby Hart.  There's no reason to keep Fromm over Webb however.  Webb is clearly better. 

A few bad/stupid penalties.  Also the officiating is in midseason form (terrible). 

Reports of Stevenson's demise seem to be premature, but there's not much room at the back of the roster at WR.

The whole key is who they can have clear waivers.  Davis might be easier to get on the practice squad without being claimed.  As long as he's not claimed, Davis will be on the practice squad all year.  

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Just now?

Yes, they said so on the WGR postgame show.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Haak s hang

Time on his punts was amazing

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sooooo......

Credit where credit is due, great throw and catch by Fromm and Stevenson.

That said, am I the only one who feels he needs to learn to telegraph the ball's arrival less - not turn his head so soon in order to maintain his best speed?

I felt like he was airmailing every throw

Rousseau and Singletary were my 2 biggest takeaways, with Sweeney and Dodson as runners up.

Rousseau is ready to make an impact his rookie season.  We all saw the sack... but he was consistently disruptive. He's going to make rookie mistakes, obviously.  But I think he'll see MUCH more playing time than Basham, despite what we were promised at draft time.

Singletary looked gooooooood.  Yes, I know it's preseason, but unlike Buffalo who was resting a buncha starters, Detroit looked like they were playing a large chunk of theirs and really trying.  Plus he was running behind a bunch of backup OL.  All that burst and speed we heard about with Breida was more of what I saw with Singletary, who has fantastic vision as an RB.  Hoping he keeps this up.

Sweeney didn't see a ton of action, but that pass early in the game he caught that he had to reach out for and then run after was impressive.  Considering Knox and Hollister are apparently our #1 and #2, Sweeney looks like a darn good #3 TE.

Dodson started the game in place of Edmunds and was in on pretty much every play it seemed.  I was pretty impressed with him.

Again... preseason.  

I thought it was really fascinating that Kumerow hardly played at all.  I think McKenzie played more.  Kumerow is pretty much a roster lock at this point, in my eyes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, McBean said:

Quick thoughts:

Rousseau…yep. Excited about his future.

Ed Oliver is still blah to me.

Boogie Basham didn’t look good at all.

Stevenson’s speed intrigues me.

concerning if Oliver is blah and Basham looks unready and out of shape.  We can’t keep missing on high DL picks.   Hopefully we hit on Greg, but Oliver plays like a 2nd-3rd pick so far. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Admittedly inexpert / slightly drunk take:

Bills FEEL like a winner team in a PS game. Detroit’s vibe is all like, we need this win in order to believe in ourselves. 

Bills are: let’s work on the run game a bit in the first half and try some stuff out and evaluate our roster. Then, oh look we have a chance to win it. This is a great situational exercise to see what we can do… oops we won the thing hahaha.

This team is strong! Score means nothing, but the feeling is that things are moving in the right direction and guys are on board.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Hell, Detroit was trying to win, why can't we?  

I had to watch the game with the Lions announcers.  They pretty much ignored our team all night long, which is to be expected, I guess.  Although one could argue that with a national feed that they try and put in somebody who at least knows which side of the field Benenoch was on....they thought he was playing linebacker.

Wildgoose got burned a couple times, but I think he'll be okay.  Our OL in the second half wasn't good at all.  

But let's keep in mind all the missing starters.  We barely threw downfield at all till the end.  Think Josh will dink and doink all night?  

Great to see them on the field.  

Fromm was playing his first game in 2 years, and didn't really practice at all last year.  Other than getting buried by the pass rush, I thought he looked pretty good.  He completed his first pass as a pro.  That's pretty cool. 

• Like (+1) 1

Players who didn't play by my count (Top end players)

Allen

Moss (Injured)

Diggs, Beas, Sanders (injured?)

Dawkins, Morse, Feliciano, Williams

Hughes, Addison

Star, Butler (injured?)

Edmunds, Milano

Tre, Poyer, Hyde.

Am I missing anyone or forgetting anything?

1 minute ago, Reader said:

Allen

Moss (Injured)

Hughes, Addison

Star, Butler (injured?)

Edmunds, Milano

Tre, Poyer, Hyde.

I didn't see Klein either

Or Taron Johnson

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Reader said:

Allen

Moss (Injured)

Hughes, Addison

Star, Butler (injured?)

Edmunds, Milano

Tre, Poyer, Hyde.

Knox didn't play much.