Josh Allen: Contract extended through 2028

eball

The more I read and the more details we get - I just love the way this contract was written and how well Beane set it up to help the Bills in the future and still pay Josh.  It is brilliant.  👍👍

What I really noticed with the way this is set up is the flexibility built in.  
They have the initial bonus for 5 years starting now (2021-2025).

They have the option bonus next year running (2022-2026).

They have the big salary jump for 2023, but the extra years means if they convert the 2023 salary to a signing bonus (ala’ Mahomes and Tre’ White) - they can free up about 10 million in 2023 and spread that out (2023-2027).

They can repeat that in 2024 by changing the base salary to bonus and save about 5-7 million for 2024 and spread that out (2024-2028).

Then they switch tactics to signing bonuses starting in 2025 and hopefully by that time the salary cap will be balanced out from COVID and more importantly- the new TV money is in place and we see huge jumps in salary cap from 2023 to 2024 and especially in 2025 - allowing this contract to be below new market value as the market skyrockets.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 8/7/2021 at 3:28 PM, Protocal69 said:

You made the assumption that I said I questioned how did he win the MVP if he was one in done. The mere fact that I had to explain what I meant shows in that instance you and a few other were dense. Im not stupid. I didn't need be explained what criteria goes into voting for MVP so you did to me what you are trying to imply that I am doing to you. Crazy. You acting like Im saying that if someone like Derrick Henry won MVP that if the Titans went one and done I would look at Henry bad and that's not the case cause he is a running back. QB is just a little different.

So if wins and loss are on the team then why are QB win totals always mentioned when discussing QB's How many times have you heard Brady is 30-3 vs the BILLS. Rarely is it the Patriots are 30-3 vs the Bills. Its the same with Mahomes and for that matter Lamar. Yes in the totality WINS ARE TEAM stats (again I didn't need you to tell me that) BUT the QB is the by FAR the biggest contributor of wins and losses. Take Josh Allen off of the BILLS and tell me how many wins we would have had in 2020. Also remember you do have to use some context as well. There is a big difference where the QB is a big part of the offense vs the QB who is just a game manager type who is supported by a great defense. So all situations are not created equal.

So being good enough to be considered the best player in the league and especially at QB position and playing poorly and being one and done AND you are a big reason why your team didn't win game isn't a bad thing. Give me a break. Imagine Josh Allen coming off the season that he did just to turn around and play like garbage against the COLTS AND the BILLS lost are you trying to tell me at that point though Josh Allen had a great regular season that some people wouldn't look at that as a failure and question if he can get it done.

***** Allen had a MVP type season played great against the COLTS AND made it to the AFC Championship game and if you go on twitter people still question about if he is the guy or he saying he only had one good year. Look at how people was talking about Lamar in the post season until he got the win this year. That buys him time not to always hear how he can't win a playoff game. Using your augment why would it matter if Lamar could win a playoff game if win and loses are team stats. You act like I said he  won MVP he should have made it to the Super Bowl. Come on my guy.

Name me a sport where if the best player in league gets knocked out in the 1st round AND plays poorly some people would not look at that in a favorable manner. Lamar gets all the credit when the Ravens win buy when they lose its ' Well wins/losses are team stats' Which one is it. 

Let me ask you a question. How many great years has Lamar had since he has come into the league. I have a point to prove so I'll wait for your response. Before you put words in my mouth I think Lamar is a great talent but when I hear people use a couple of stats to make there point that Lamar is better with no context that's where you lose me.

MVP is a season long award that does not take playoffs into account. (Or that was what I understood)

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SRQ_BillsFan said:

MVP is a season long award that does not take playoffs into account. (Or that was what I understood)

You are correct, the MVP vote is taken BEFORE the playoff begins. It is a regular season award.

And wins and losses are absolutely NOT an official stat for QBs. Sports writers, broadcasters and ill informed fans use it as one all the time. But it's not an official stat. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/7/2021 at 6:45 PM, ScottLaw said:

Actually no one really out dueled anyone thanks to the wind playing a huge part. The difference in the game was a pick 6. 

I think Josh "out-dueled" Jackson by not making a stupid read and throwing a pick 6 (in the red zone.) I'm not sure I understand your logic.

In a sloppy/windy and physical game against 2 good defenses, the QBs primary job is to protect the ball and take what the defense gives him. Allen succeeded and Lamar failed, Allen won. End of story. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

• Chandler#81 unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Marcellus Wiley: Lamar Jackson deserves more money than Josh Allen

Former Buffalo Bills defender turned analyst, Marcellus Wiley, sure did fire off a hot take after Josh Allen signed his extension.

Still waiting for a long-term extension is Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson. When it comes time will tell, but Wiley thinks Jackson deserves a bigger pay day.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/20/marcellus-wiley-lamer-jackson-josh-allen-extension/amp/

3 minutes ago, ALF said:

Former Buffalo Bills defender turned analyst, Marcellus Wiley, sure did fire off a hot take after Josh Allen signed his extension.

Still waiting for a long-term extension is Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson. When it comes time will tell, but Wiley thinks Jackson deserves a bigger pay day.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/20/marcellus-wiley-lamer-jackson-josh-allen-extension/amp/

He is entitled to his opinion.  I hope the Ravens do pay him more money than Josh.  Then they will be stuck with him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, ALF said:

I mean, I think he deserves to get paid. He’s gonna bring that MVP to the table and use it as leverage to get as much as he can. Let them go to town paying him- hell I don’t care if he makes more, it just means less money for other players they need to retain down the line

more money doesn’t make him a better player than Josh ;)

Edited by KingBoots8
Added to post
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ALF said:

He might get a bigger pay day but I think the thing that Wiley is missing is that Jackson has been consistent(up and down slightly depending on the category) and Allen has improved every year.  LJ does the same stuff that works and hasn't stepped up his QB game.  

I'm sure after season 1 we all thought that Allen was going to be a running QB.  Season 2 it evened itself out more and season 3 he developed his game to be a QB that can run instead of a runner that can throw.

On 8/23/2021 at 1:48 PM, ALF said:

Question? If Allen posted last seasons stats during the 2019 season does Lamar still win the MVP? 

Lamar: 15 games, 13-2, 66 comp %, 3127 yds passing, 36 TDs, 83 QBR, 1206 yds rushing, 7 TDs, 4333 total yds, 43 total TDs

Josh:  16 games, 13-3. 69.2 comp %, 4544 yds passing, 37 TDs, 81.7 QBR, 421 yds rushing, 8 TDs, 1 rec TD, 4965 total yds, 46 total TDs

I don't think so.

I understand he won the MVP and he's a generational talent but after seeing what Josh can do last season if you think Lamar is the better QB than I have no words.

^Style matters....I don't think we'll see a QB lead the league in TDs AND run for 1200 yards again. 

Lamar is a really great player. He will likely get more than Josh, because that's how these QB extensions seem to go. Either way, Lamar is a $40M+ annual hit. That's the going rate.

On 8/23/2021 at 1:54 PM, KingBoots8 said:

I mean, I think he deserves to get paid. He’s gonna bring that MVP to the table and use it as leverage to get as much as he can. Let them go to town paying him- hell I don’t care if he makes more, it just means less money for other players they need to retain down the line

more money doesn’t make him a better player than Josh ;)

Yup. The nfl is a “what have you done for me lately” type business. If he shows any continued regression from his MVP season, it will hurt him severely IMO. 

another NFL-ism, is that many people know the true meaning of the acronym is “Not For Long”. If Lamar continues to play well, although below his initial output, I think you see a much different deal, in terms of length, than Josh 

Hmm. I think most head coaches would prefer Allen over Jackson because of the more conventional QB play and the higher ceiling throwing the football, but that's just me. With Jackson, you can't run a conventional offense. And Allen score more rushing TD's anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Question? If Allen posted last seasons stats during the 2019 season does Lamar still win the MVP? 

Lamar: 15 games, 13-2, 66 comp %, 3127 yds passing, 36 TDs, 83 QBR, 1206 yds rushing, 7 TDs, 4333 total yds, 43 total TDs

Josh:  16 games, 13-3. 69.2 comp %, 4544 yds passing, 37 TDs, 81.7 QBR, 421 yds rushing, 8 TDs, 1 rec TD, 4965 total yds, 46 total TDs

I don't think so.

I understand he won the MVP and he's a generational talent but after seeing what Josh can do last season if you think Lamar is the better QB than I have no words.

Stats don't tell the whole story.  Since I don't watch the Ravens every week, I don't know who the better QB is.  Depending on how the offense is designed, a bunch of stats like these can't be evaluated.  I see 2 QBs with great stats who both won most of their games. 

One thing that is pretty clear is the Ravens had a much better run game in 2019 than the Bills had in 2020.  The 2019 Ravens offense gained 6,521 total yards.  It was equally run/pass.  They threw for 3225 yards and ran for 3,296 yards.  The 2020 Bills were a passing offense & didn't run anywhere near the 2019 Ravens.  They gained 6,343 yards, 178 fewer than the 2019 Ravens, passing for 4,620 yards while running for 1,723 yards.  The 2 teams had a totally different offensive philosophy.  The 2019 Ravens ran for 2,278 yards after taking out Lamar's yards.  The 2020 Bills ran for 1,302 yards after taking out Josh's yards.  That's 976 fewer rushing yards, so  comparing QB stats for 2 totally different offenses doesn't tell me anything about who is better.  

The reality is why should we care what the other QBs are doing other than in head to head competition?  On that front they're 1-1 against each other with Josh's team winning the playoff game that they went head to head on.  Each player is the face of their team.  If someone says one is better than the other it is pretty irrelevant.  As long as each team is happy with their guy and is winning with him, other than throwing up a bunch of stats, which can be manipulated to show what you want them to show, other than bragging rights, what's the point?  

If the Ravens feel that Lamar's contribution is worth a huge contract & he gets paid more the only effect on the Bills is that a main AFC competitor has used up more of their cap space & then might not be able to pay their RBs well enough to continue to dwarf the Bills total rushing yards and might become a weaker team overall. 

I hope the Ravens pay Lamar double what the Bills are paying Josh so they can make guys like Wiley say "I told you so" while destroying their cap.  Obviously, that won't happen because the Ravens know better, but if he gets more money than Josh I will say good for him & hope that Josh continues to be on the winning side in head to head matchups.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/23/2021 at 10:48 AM, ALF said:

I think Lamar deserves his contract but bigger than Josh’s? I get the Ravens don’t have the same style of offense and the numbers disparity is a function of various factors but Lamar has showcased his game has limitations that he has to overcome. Give both their big deals but the comparison is stupid.

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The reality is why should we care what the other QBs are doing other than in head to head competition? 

It is a particularly unattractive habit of this fan base. It is not enough for our guy to be really good we must tear down every other guy to make us feel better. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a particularly unattractive habit of this fan base. It is not enough for our guy to be really good we must tear down every other guy to make us feel better. 

Yes it is a common trait of our fan base, and I think most fan bases. Sports fans act like morons most of the time. I'm sure many are, but some just lose all sense of perspective when dealing with their favorite teams or players. It's most clear to me when people just TRASH young opposing QBs chances of success or improvement.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Yes it is a common trait of our fan base, and I think most fan bases. Sports fans act like morons most of the time. I'm sure many are, but some just lose all sense of perspective when dealing with their favorite teams or players. It's most clear to me when people just TRASH young opposing QBs chances of success or improvement.

I mean I feel like comparing players is a pretty common football fan thing to do, as well as liking your teams player better than others, but maybe I'm just crazy.

That's all this really is.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a particularly unattractive habit of human beings. It is not enough for our guy to be really good we must tear down every other guy to make us feel better

I was hoping you wouldn't mind if I edited that for you ; - )

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean I feel like comparing players is a pretty common football fan thing to do, as well as liking your teams player better than others, but maybe I'm just crazy.

That's all this really is.

I do not believe that is what Gunner and I were referring to.