Etienne thought he was going to be a Bill

DJB

5 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

WR is a huge weakness for the Bills. Josh makes all the WRs look better than they truly are. But WR is a weak spot on the team.

And now Sanders is week2week.

Sanders hurts the offense.  He's a good player and it's not his fault, but Daboll is incredibly predictable and boring with Diggs/Sanders/Bease.  With Sanders out it opens up the offense for Davis/McKenzie to come in and do some good stuff.

It's a Daboll problem though.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Sanders hurts the offense.  He's a good player and it's not his fault, but Daboll is incredibly predictable and boring with Diggs/Sanders/Bease.  With Sanders out it opens up the offense for Davis/McKenzie to come in and do some good stuff.

It's a Daboll problem though.

I can’t figure out why Davis doesn’t get more snaps.  His lack of athleticism may limit him a bit, but I’m not convinced that Sanders has more speed and quickness at this point in his career.  In a league where you’re always trying to get younger and cheaper, Davis over Sanders seems like a no brainer.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

I can’t figure out why Davis doesn’t get more snaps.  His lack of athleticism may limit him a bit, but I’m not convinced that Sanders has more speed and quickness at this point in his career.  In a league where you’re always trying to get younger and cheaper, Davis over Sanders seems like a no brainer.

Because Daboll never uses his depth unless he has to.

3 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Is it Daboll or is it McDermott?  I mean Moss and Basham were healthy scratches and Epenesa can barely get on the field (though he did play a little more yesterday).  You only get 3-4 cheap years from players in this league.  Getting snaps from those guys is such a huge advantage that paying guys like Sanders and Hughes $14,000,000 strikes me as a waste of resources when you’ve got their potential replacements in house.

34 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Do you want to just run empty sets all day? I’m sorry, but Sanders has more yards this year already than Gabe had in 2020 on 16 games. 

Gabe is a nice player, but he isn’t the missing link on offense.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Do you want to just run empty sets all day? I’m sorry, but Sanders has more yards this year already than Gabe had in 2020 on 16 games. 

Gabe is a nice player, but he isn’t the missing link on offense.

I didn't say that I wanted to replace Sanders with Gabe completely.  I think missing Sanders forces Daboll to be more creative with his play calling. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FFadpecr said:

WR is a huge weakness for the Bills. Josh makes all the WRs look better than they truly are. But WR is a weak spot on the team.

And now Sanders is week2week.

WR is a huge weakness?  LOL   Cant even get Gabe Davis the reps he deserves because of too many mouths to feed....it is only after Sanders goes down with an injury that gets the reps Davis deserves....THAT is the sign of depth

12 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It seems every loss (and some wins), we find more weaknesses with this team.

Just like every NFL team in the league....are we special?

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wasn't a fan of the Basham pick...........but I also don't know what kind of guard Humphrey would have made.   

He's been a center forever........if you plug Humphrey in at center then Morse is off the field.    He can't play guard.   Not physical enough.   

So you likely still end up Boettger, Williams and Ford at the guards around a rookie center deploying an outside zone attack.........which probably still sucks.

Beane has tied himself up in knots with numbers.    

Example:  he traded Wyatt Teller because they got to camp and realized that Mr. "we need a tackle" Cody Ford was a shaky RT and might have to play guard.    So they kept Boettger because he had worked hard to train as a backup at every position.    Boettger has never played anything other than guard since. :doh:

On the plus side.......we saw some old Greg Roman style inside zone running last night and suddenly the run blocking didn't look so bad.

As bad as the OL has been this year............the coaching and techniques chosen have been just as bad.

It's my opinion that Center is the weakest position on our Line and all our issues in Run blocking and Pass blocking start with him.

Happy to have Humphrey on the field at Center over Morse. He's looked good starting right away at Center for KC. Hold on to Morse this year as a backup, and he's gone next year.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wasn't a fan of the Basham pick...........but I also don't know what kind of guard Humphrey would have made.   

He's been a center forever........if you plug Humphrey in at center then Morse is off the field.    He can't play guard.   Not physical enough.   

So you likely still end up Boettger, Williams and Ford at the guards around a rookie center deploying an outside zone attack.........which probably still sucks.

Beane has tied himself up in knots with numbers.    

Example:  he traded Wyatt Teller because they got to camp and realized that Mr. "we need a tackle" Cody Ford was a shaky RT and might have to play guard.    So they kept Boettger because he had worked hard to train as a backup at every position.    Boettger has never played anything other than guard since. :doh:

On the plus side.......we saw some old Greg Roman style inside zone running last night and suddenly the run blocking didn't look so bad.

As bad as the OL has been this year............the coaching and techniques chosen have been just as bad.

So you think they got rid of Teller to keep Ford ?

If so that is criminal.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Gregory R. is going to be a force......Elijah Moore is a undersized WR that will probably be hurt most of his career AND we were already stacked at WR and still are.

In the second round? Every passing DNP Boogie is looking like the wrong call

Stacked at WR?  Ummm…no. We have Diggs and then a bunch of replaceable guys after that. Go get a blue chipper. 

25 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

So you think they got rid of Teller to keep Ford ?

If so that is criminal.

To keep Boettger.    I believe Beane even explained that decision somewhere in the media well before Teller broke out with Cleveland.    Boettger had been training to play every position to make himself useful.   Teller was guard only.  

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

To keep Boettger.    I believe Beane even explained that decision somewhere in the media well before Teller broke out with Cleveland.    Boettger had been training to play every position to make himself useful.   Teller was guard only.  

Thats brilliant , get rid of talent over a less talented player because they are training him for more positions. They could have put other spots too, its like we had a great two years building this team and then the decisions since have been regressing.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

this

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Thats brilliant , get rid of talent over a less talented player because they are training him for more positions. They could have put other spots too, its like we had a great two years building this team and then the decisions since have been regressing.

I think Teller blossomed under a different OL coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billl said:

Sanders has been getting open consistently this season. Allen has missed him a few times.  All great QBs make their WRs better. I have no problem letting Davis get more reps.

But, lets keep the focus where is should be. The oline is terrible, Edmunds is the worst player on defense, and McDermott is a gutless fraud.  McDermott for as much as I want him gone is not going anywhere. Beane can address the oline and they can trade Edmunds to someone the unsuspecting team that will say for three years he is young.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Not really a big deal I guess, neither Rousseau or Etienne are contributing anything to their teams. 

We have no idea what would have happened to Etienne if became a Bill. Maybe he never gets injured. It would have been an entirely different situation with entirely different variables.

• Like (+1) 3

I did not think he was worthy of a first round pick.  People forget after the KC loss, the lack of a consistent pass rush was viewed by many as a reason they lost.  He might be a good player but the Bills had more pressing needs.

Edited by Nitro
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Out of camp 2019 Bills had Spain targeted as starter at LG, Feliciano surprised and won RG role with Spencer Long as backup at G/C.  

From D&C 8/31/2019 article

Depth: Dion Dawkins, Quinton Spain, Mitch Morse, Cody Ford, Ty Nsekhe, Spencer Long, Jon Feliciano, Ryan Bates, Conor McDermott, Ike Boettger.

The interesting decision to watch is whether the Bills are going to use Ford at right guard and Nsekhe at right tackle. Otherwise, assuming good health, Dawkins (LT), Spain (LG) and Morse (C) are locked in, Nsekhe seems set at RT, and if Ford isn’t going to start, Feliciano or Long would get the call at RG. Bates made the team because he can play all five positions in a pinch, and McDermott is the ninth man because he's depth at tackle. Boettger was a surprise as the Bills start with 10 up front, which is a lot.

Edited by freddyjj

59 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

We have no idea what would have happened to Etienne if became a Bill. Maybe he never gets injured. It would have been an entirely different situation with entirely different variables.

The Bills have the best Strength and Conditioning team in the NFL. The Jags... well, are the Jags with a new group of bozos this year.

Nothing is certain, but I believe it is far less likely Etienne gets injured in Buffalo.

25 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

So let's be 4. Figure take a stud in the first and by the time he needs a contract Diggs is probably done or close to it. 

I want to add a talented receiver, too, but I don't know if the first round is necessary. We may already have a dynamic WR2 on our roster.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Logic said:

I want to add a talented receiver, too, but I don't know if the first round is necessary. We may already have a dynamic WR2 on our roster.

I’m going to say it again, something is off w Diggs right now, don’t know what, but he is not the same guy we saw last year.

Oh and Davis is the best WR we have right now. 

Edited by DCofNC

45 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I’m going to say it again, something is off w Diggs right now, don’t know what, but he is not the same guy we saw last year.

Oh and Davis is the best WR we have right now. 

Diggs is still on a petty good statistical pace. At his current average of 74 receiving yards per game, he's on pace to have 1,258 yards receiving and 9 or 10 touchdowns.

His targets are down and the performance of the entire Bills offense is down a bit from last year. I also think teams are paying him a lot more defensive attention this year.

Part of the problem, I think, is that Diggs was just so All-World last year, that this year looks like some kind of a letdown. In reality, 1200 yards and 10 TDs is a damned good season for a WR.

15 hours ago, whorlnut said:

All over the place?  I’ll give you Diggs, but sanders is old and hurt and hasn’t had a 1000 yard season since 2016. Who else?  I’ll wait…

Beasley

Not only that......our Knox seems to have found his hands this year

Gabe Davis really hasnt had the opportunities this year but stats coming if Sanders cant go

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Diggs is still on a petty good statistical pace. At his current average of 74 receiving yards per game, he's on pace to have 1,258 yards receiving and 9 or 10 touchdowns.

His targets are down and the performance of the entire Bills offense is down a bit from last year. I also think teams are paying him a lot more defensive attention this year.

Part of the problem, I think, is that Diggs was just so All-World last year, that this year looks like some kind of a letdown. In reality, 1200 yards and 10 TDs is a damned good season for a WR.

I’m more concerned with the fact he doesn’t appear to be able to track a ball, he missed the TD vs NE, had the ball almost hit him in the hip down the seem vs TB and never even looked for the ball in OT, when it was going to him.  He’s not the same guy as last year, he’s turned to trying to get calls instead of catching the ball.  It’s like the whole damn team has gone soft and he’s the leader of it.  The only guys I see playing with the same heart are Allen, Davis and I think Knox, but He’s harder to tell bc he lacks hands/focus in the first place haha.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I’m more concerned with the fact he doesn’t appear to be able to track a ball, he missed the TD vs NE, had the ball almost hit him in the hip down the seem vs TB and never even looked for the ball in OT, when it was going to him.  He’s not the same guy as last year, he’s turned to trying to get calls instead of catching the ball.  It’s like the whole damn team has gone soft and he’s the leader of it.  The only guys I see playing with the same heart are Allen, Davis and I think Knox, but He’s harder to tell bc he lacks hands/focus in the first place haha.

Jesus christ......let the moronic posts stop

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Out of camp 2019 Bills had Spain targeted as starter at LG, Feliciano surprised and won RG role with Spencer Long as backup at G/C.  

From D&C 8/31/2019 article

Depth: Dion Dawkins, Quinton Spain, Mitch Morse, Cody Ford, Ty Nsekhe, Spencer Long, Jon Feliciano, Ryan Bates, Conor McDermott, Ike Boettger.

The interesting decision to watch is whether the Bills are going to use Ford at right guard and Nsekhe at right tackle. Otherwise, assuming good health, Dawkins (LT), Spain (LG) and Morse (C) are locked in, Nsekhe seems set at RT, and if Ford isn’t going to start, Feliciano or Long would get the call at RG. Bates made the team because he can play all five positions in a pinch, and McDermott is the ninth man because he's depth at tackle. Boettger was a surprise as the Bills start with 10 up front, which is a lot.

Yep.    Boettger was the guy they chose instead of keeping Teller.   People forget that Teller was a well regarded prospect that really fell in the draft.    About the equivalent of Trey Smith this year with the Chiefs.   Teller showed flashes as a rookie and seemed like a building block going forward.    But the OL was such a big mess in general in 2018 that they probably over-compensated and then couldn't see a near future where that the 10th guy was a starter.    Boettger has had to start A LOT of games in 2020 and 2021..........and it's not because he's earned it.

• Agree 1

On 12/13/2021 at 6:12 PM, Gene1973 said:

I guess the Bills are a special case, because they were a SB favorite that is likely to miss the playoffs.

Likely to miss the playoffs? We are like 80% odds to still make the playoffs if we win three  of our last four including if we lose the Pats game as the loss. We are pretty likely to still make the playoffs despite all the crying on this site. 

99.9% if we win out.. 

Edited by dje85

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.