Etienne thought he was going to be a Bill

DJB

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Why is this making me a little bit sick?

ugh.  Because I would have liked the shiny new toy,

I have come to accept shiny new toys , should not be expected in McBeanes draft.

Stefon Diggs was a shiny new toy. and still is really :)
But the draft picks they made ? Makes me want to watch them develop as rookies. and cheer that they become the best they can be.

try some pepto bismol or some antacid alka seltzer and feel better D2D. Bills will be rewarded for taking DE  with the first two picks by the time their rookie contracts come up and we have to pay one of them. hopefully two of them  lol

• Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

By that logic, who would complain if the Bills ended up with Quenton Nelson instead of Josh Allen?

Nelson looked like a HOF'er the moment he took the field.

If positional value doesn't matter then that would have been a win.

But,  positional value is important.

RB's are still a relative dime a dozen.    

The most explosive RB in the league is not Kamara or CMC........it's Raheem Mostert........who was a UDFA that kicked around with 4 teams before making it in SF.

Mostert is the kinda' guy you want when you have a QB like Josh Allen who can utilize the whole field with his great arm and athleticism.    A true burner,  not a 4.5 guy like Etienne,  and a guy you don't have to give 200+ touches to in order to justify the investment........... because taking the ball out of Allen and his WR's hands is not recommended.

If you have a noodle armed check down pocket passer like Drew Brees or Teddy Bridgewater maybe you want to get your RB the ball a lot more.........in Buffalo the goal should be stretching the field more.

SF has a noodle armed QB...and Mostert has under 2000 yards per touch in his entire career.  Never cracked 1000....despite up to 15 touches.   Only 36 career receptions--too few for a meaningful discussion.  Contrast that to McM averaged 100 catches his first 3 years.  

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If ETN ends up a McCaffery talent, added to THIS offense, then we win at least 1 (if not 2) Super Bowls. And when his 5 years are up, we let him walk and draft another RB high.

While folks are right to hold the general rule of "dont draft a RB in the 1st", that is more true for regular or even losing teams like we have been in the past. The situation changes for a winning team that has most of the rest of their roster in place. When you have pretty much everything else set, or can address it elsewhere, getting into a cycle of drafting a top-talent RB in the 1st every 5 years isn't the worst place to be.

Look at the list of running backs on Super Bowl winning teams the past 20 years. Its not pretty

Would Etienne have helped out our offense? Sure he would so not trying to say that fyi. 

Edited by DJB

The issue is both sides could be right and both sides could be wrong and the most likely thing is someplace in between.

The Bills and ETN/agent must have talked some and he was being mocked to the Bills a ton, but at the same time most of those guys a la Peter King admitted ETN with 4.45 speed is not blazing fast.  To that point - it seems Jacksonville is already integrating him more into the WR aspect than the Running Back side of the offense. 

I think ETN could be an above average RB, but I don’t think he is a true Home Run threat in the NFL.  His speed is not elite - so he won’t be outrunning LBs and DBs and his running style was more outside zone and jukes and in the NFL those big gains become a series of 3-5 yard runs.

I think he would have been a better fit than the KC pick last year - better speed and agility, but I think his impact like most RBs would be minimal.  I really do not see where he would put a team (any team including the Bills) over the top.  He could complement the offense, but every touch he gets in the passing game takes throws away from WRs who are much better at the run and catch game.  

I honestly think there were 2-3 guys they were looking to move up for and ETN and Rousseau were both not it.  I would of been very interested in what would have happened if both were available at 30 - I just did not see the reaction in the Embedded piece when ETN comes off the board to believe he was the guy at 30.  

19 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

And if Etienne does end up being a Christian McCafferry talent, do you pay a RB $16M/yr when it comes to their second contract?

Umm our window is open now. This is when you make a move like that...but honestly I do have faith in our current room to turn things around. Singletary will be back to being a top ypc guy in the league...Moss a good #2 and Brieda the change up guy.

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If ETN ends up a McCaffery talent, added to THIS offense, then we win at least 1 (if not 2) Super Bowls. And when his 5 years are up, we let him walk and draft another RB high.

While folks are right to hold the general rule of "dont draft a RB in the 1st", that is more true for regular or even losing teams like we have been in the past. The situation changes for a winning team that has most of the rest of their roster in place. When you have pretty much everything else set, or can address it elsewhere, getting into a cycle of drafting a top-talent RB in the 1st every 5 years isn't the worst place to be.

But RB is so dependent on OL. Would Etienne make a difference? Or would his lanes get closed and he gets dropped like a sack of potatoes? A true running game is only sustainable through great OL play.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

SF has a noodle armed QB...and Mostert has under 2000 yards per touch in his entire career.  Never cracked 1000....despite up to 15 touches.   Only 36 career receptions--too few for a meaningful discussion.  Contrast that to McM averaged 100 catches his first 3 years.  

And the $15M per year Kamara has never even rushed for 1,000 yards in any of his 4 season career despite being deified by some here as an organization-changing RB.

Mostert has only been getting regular carries for the last 2 seasons so his "career" totals being low is not that important in the "now" discussion.

He split carries with Matt Breida(5.1 ypc) on a SB team that ran the ball and played defense.   Mostert produced ridiculous per carry/reception numbers......5.6 yards per rush and 12.9 per reception.    It's no fluke......they were likely the two fastest RB's in the league......and both undrafted.   Mostert missed half of last season on a really banged up Niners team.....but still put up elite per touch production.

In 2019 Breida and Mostert totaled about 300 touches.  That's plenty.   You don't want to wear out speed and quickness guys.   

By contrast,  Alvin Kamara usually gets 270+ touches in the regular season........too much work.   Then he farts and dies in the playoffs.......just when people like @DrDawkinsteinassume that the likes of Alvin Kamara-Etienne is going to be the difference in a SB win and an earlier exit. 😚

In 7 career playoff games the great Kamara has rushed for 356 yards......a feeble 3.8 yards per carry.  

Mostert put up 336 in his 3 games......to the tune of 6.3 yards per carry.

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Nope of course not, but it did have the feel they were looking at RBs anywhere on the Board as a real possibility. and rightly so

Wish this kid well. he is going to be a good player for the Jags

After using 2-3rd round picks on RBs the prior 2 drafts, signing an UDFA who looked promising in his limited playing time, and adding a "homerun threat" in Breida in FA, I never took drafting ETN in the first seriously.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And the $15M per year Kamara has never even rushed for 1,000 yards in any of his 4 season career despite being deified by some here as an organization-changing RB.

Mostert has only been getting regular carries for the last 2 seasons so his "career" totals being low is not that important in the "now" discussion.

He split carries with Matt Breida(5.1 ypc) on a SB team that ran the ball and played defense.   Mostert produced ridiculous per carry/reception numbers......5.6 yards per rush and 12.9 per reception.    It's no fluke......they were likely the two fastest RB's in the league......and both undrafted.   Mostert missed half of last season on a really banged up Niners team.....but still put up elite per touch production.

In 2019 Breida and Mostert totaled about 300 touches.  That's plenty.   You don't want to wear out speed and quickness guys.   

By contrast,  Alvin Kamara usually gets 270+ touches in the regular season........too much work.   Then he farts and dies in the playoffs.......just when people like @DrDawkinsteinassume that the likes of Alvin Kamara-Etienne is going to be the difference in a SB win and an earlier exit. 😚

In 7 career playoff games the great Kamara has rushed for 356 yards......a feeble 3.8 yards per carry.  

I was responding regarding MCM, where you said the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze (of a 1st round pick, or something) who produced insane numbers for rookie contract money.  

Mosterts career catch numbers are to insignificant to even bring to a discussion about a guy like MCM.  2 years ago , he had a little over a dozen more catches than I did...

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

But RB is so dependent on OL. Would Etienne make a difference? Or would his lanes get closed and he gets dropped like a sack of potatoes? A true running game is only sustainable through great OL play.

Etienne is fast enough to get to the holes before they close up. Unlike Singletary and Moss. That’s the point. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The fact that you are arguing against getting an Alvin Kamara type player is funny to me. I think most would take Kamara (or someone that is compared to him) in a heartbeat. I mean you are entitled to your opinion, but don’t sit back and act like a player like that couldn’t help this team win two more games...

Edited by whorlnut

51 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Etienne is fast enough to get to the holes before they close up. Unlike Singletary and Moss. That’s the point.

The fact that you are arguing against getting an Alvin Kamara type player is funny to me. I think most would take Kamara (or someone that is compared to him) in a heartbeat. I mean you are entitled to your opinion, but don’t sit back and act like a player like that couldn’t help this team win two more games...

1) Etienne's per carry average dropped over 2 yards last year.   Even though he's had well over 800 touches in college, the OL was blamed..........so if a dominant team like Clemson with several NFL prospects on the OL can be "not good enough" at the college level then maybe he's not a cure-all for blocking insufficiencies at the NEXT level.

2) Teams have been winning SB's without exceptional RB's for decades now.........there is no "acting" involved in realizing that they aren't proving to be the difference in teams winning SB's and not.  

There is a combination of out-of-touch older fans and fantasy football players on this site that want to make having an elite RB a priority when it's clearly not important in winning a championship.    

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was responding regarding MCM, where you said the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze (of a 1st round pick, or something) who produced insane numbers for rookie contract money.  

Mosterts career catch numbers are to insignificant to even bring to a discussion about a guy like MCM.  2 years ago , he had a little over a dozen more catches than I did...

I assume you are talking about McCaffrey but have no idea why you are calling him "MCM".    McCaffrey was a first round receiving prospect........let alone his RB skills. He is unique in that regard but that's why he went top 10.   Nobody is getting that guy at pick #30.    Thinking so is asinine.    But that said.........handing the ball off more is not good business.   It's not a "run and stop the run" league anymore and that goes for checking it down to RB's like "MCM" and Kamara for 8 yard gains as well.    Slot receivers more or less replaced the 3 down RB's in the passing game almost 20 years ago now.   

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I assume you are talking about McCaffrey but have no idea why you are calling him "MCM".    McCaffrey was a first round receiving prospect........let alone his RB skills. He is unique in that regard but that's why he went top 10.   Nobody is getting that guy at pick #30.    Thinking so is asinine.    But that said.........handing the ball off more is not good business.   It's not a "run and stop the run" league anymore and that goes for checking it down to RB's like "MCM" and Kamara for 8 yard gains as well.    Slot receivers more or less replaced the 3 down RB's in the passing game almost 20 years ago now.   

MCC not MCM, yes.  He’s unique and was absolutely worth the pick.  This is self evident.  No sane fan or FO would ever prefer Mostert to him, no matter what decade it is.  Bad example 

45 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Etienne's per carry average dropped over 2 yards last year.   Even though he's had well over 800 touches in college, the OL was blamed..........so if a dominant team like Clemson with several NFL prospects on the OL can be "not good enough" at the college level then maybe he's not a cure-all for blocking insufficiencies at the NEXT level.

2) Teams have been winning SB's without exceptional RB's for decades now.........there is no "acting" involved in realizing that they aren't proving to be the difference in teams winning SB's and not.  

There is a combination of out-of-touch older fans and fantasy football players on this site that want to make having an elite RB a priority when it's clearly not important in winning a championship.    

So not sharing your “opinion” makes me and others “out-of-touch”.  How nice of you...

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

MCC not MCM, yes.  He’s unique and was absolutely worth the pick.  This is self evident.  No sane fan or FO would ever prefer Mostert to him, no matter what decade it is.  Bad example 

Exactly. To argue that having someone like Kamara, McCaffery, or even Etienne seems silly. They would automatically make this offense better than it is with what we currently have. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

So not sharing your “opinion” makes me and others “out-of-touch”.  How nice of you...

Exactly. To argue that having someone like Kamara, McCaffery, or even Etienne seems silly. They would automatically make this offense better than it is with what we currently have. 

I've heard that good offenses can't be helped by better players.  Heard it right here on this board, actually.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I've heard that good offenses can't be helped by better players.  Heard it right here on this board, actually.

Yep. Makes no sense. None. Just because our offense was elite last year shouldn’t mean you aren’t trying to make it even better.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.